New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7              9       10       end

Leica M11-D to be announced!

stgrove
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

I wonder if the Viso2 will be connectable with the M11D?

Jun 02, 2024 at 03:32 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

From the Leica M11-D Quick Start Guide, yes, it will work with the Visoflex just like the M10-D:

Jun 02, 2024 at 04:30 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

Fred Miranda wrote:
Edwin wrote a beautiful piece about the M-D here.

In the article, he also speculates about a future Leica M11-D, and it's incredible how accurately he predicted the features and functionality of the M11-D. It's hard to believe that Leica didn't read the article and base the new camera on his comments and predictions. He even created a mock-up where the top ISO dial was removed and the back ISO dial was added to the upcoming camera. The article was written in January 2023, almost a year and a half ago! Wow.

Any guesses on the Leica M11-D's price? I think
...Show more

Fred, donít trade off your M10-R BP! Itís the pinnacle of digital M design and aesthetic. And the color signature in my opinion is unique. I love how it leans toward green tint versus the magenta of the M11.

But to make the opposite argument, if I were spending the same money and could get both, I would go for the M11-D. I actually hate the tiny rear LCD on digital M cameras. I have better than 20/20 eyesight, but I canít see well enough at close distances for the rear screen to be useful. I hate having to swap my sunglasses with reading glasses in the bright sun. I feel like the M11-D with the Visoflex 2 would be the perfect setup for me.

I wish Leica would also make an M11M-D

Jun 02, 2024 at 05:01 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

Fred Miranda wrote:
From the Leica M11-D Quick Start Guide, yes, it will work with the Visoflex just like the M10-D:

Thanks I saw that. Must look at the M10D user manual to see what is possible via the EVF.

Jun 02, 2024 at 06:42 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

highdesertmesa wrote:
Fred, donít trade off your M10-R BP! Itís the pinnacle of digital M design and aesthetic. And the color signature in my opinion is unique. I love how it leans toward green tint versus the magenta of the M11.

But to make the opposite argument, if I were spending the same money and could get both, I would go for the M11-D. I actually hate the tiny rear LCD on digital M cameras. I have better than 20/20 eyesight, but I canít see well enough at close distances for the rear screen to be useful. I hate having to swap
...Show more

I absolutely love the M10-R BP. Every time I see it, I want to take pictures with it. It would be hard to let it go. Besides, I already have the M-D for a screenless option and often use a custom case to hide the LCD on my BP, so the M11-D is just a consideration at this point. I agree 100% about the color output -- I've never really warmed up to the M11's magenta tint and more accurate colors. I'm not really after accuracy.

I didn't see this in the quick manual, but I'm curious about how the M11-D will handle white balance. Will it be the same as the M11, sampling from the sensor? If so, what's the point of having live view always on for a screen-less body? Is it just for the accessory EVF? I think they should provide the same center-weighted metering with the shutter always closed and WB sensor as the previous M10 series for the new "D". At least it would remove that awkward shutter sound, which performs four actions per shot.

Jun 02, 2024 at 07:11 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

Fred Miranda wrote:
I absolutely love the M10-R BP. Every time I see it, I want to take pictures with it. It would be hard to let it go. Besides, I already have the M-D for a screenless option and often use a custom case to hide the LCD on my BP, so the M11-D is just a consideration at this point. I agree 100% about the color output -- I've never really warmed up to the M11's magenta tint and more accurate colors. I'm not really after accuracy.

I didn't see this in the quick manual, but I'm curious about how the
...Show more

That would be quite the twist if it had the off-the-shutter metering and pre-M11 style shutter behavior. But one could make the argument that more accurate metering directly off the sensor would be even more important for a screenless digital M than one with a screen. I think I read in the leaked info that it comes with the metering mode default of multi-segment, so that probably means it will operate like the M11/M11-P.

Jun 02, 2024 at 08:23 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

highdesertmesa wrote:
That would be quite the twist if it had the off-the-shutter metering and pre-M11 style shutter behavior. But one could make the argument that more accurate metering directly off the sensor would be even more important for a screenless digital M than one with a screen. I think I read in the leaked info that it comes with the metering mode default of multi-segment, so that probably means it will operate like the M11/M11-P.

Indeed, the factory setting for exposure metering is multi-pattern, which means it will sample from the sensor. To me, that's actually a negative aspect.

Jun 02, 2024 at 08:30 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

Actually, if you compare these two images, the M11-D seems to be equipped with a metering sensor. Alternatively, it could just be a mistake in the illustration.

Jun 02, 2024 at 08:36 PM
pistikem

p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

why do you say so, Fred ? the light metering sensor of the m10d is a full centimeter deeper than what i can recognize in the diagrams of the downloaded m11d QS brochure or in the illustration that you show. i think what we see there near the 11 symbol is just part of the bayonet system - while 'multi-pattern' as you mentioned it suggests sensor derived metering...
in any case, i really would like to know when the m11d will be announced and when will it be available at the LeicaBoutiques !

Jun 02, 2024 at 08:52 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

pistikem wrote:
why do you say so, Fred ? the light metering sensor of the m10d is a full centimeter deeper than what i can recognize in the diagrams of the downloaded m11d QS brochure or in the illustration that you show. i think what we see there near the 11 symbol is just part of the bayonet system - while 'multi-pattern' as you mentioned it suggests sensor derived metering...
in any case, i really would like to know when the m11d will be announced and when will it be available at the LeicaBoutiques !

You are right. I just checked my M10-R, and the metering sensor is tucked in much deeper inside the camera from the mount. So, it will definitely borrow the M11's metering and white balance functionality.

Jun 02, 2024 at 09:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

Fred Miranda wrote:
Indeed, the factory setting for exposure metering is multi-pattern, which means it will sample from the sensor. To me, that's actually a negative aspect.

I agree that the experience of the "single snick" shutter from the pre-M11 Ms would be more true to the "D" mindset. But I guess on the bright side, you'll have to do less bracketing to make sure you got a good exposure. I wish modern digital sensors had the same safety net in the highlights as color film.

Jun 02, 2024 at 09:28 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

highdesertmesa wrote:
. I think I read in the leaked info that it comes with the metering mode default of multi-segment, so that probably means it will operate like the M11/M11-P.

I saw that too, but can one select H/L metering and if so how? Will need the full manual to determine many things.

Just noticed that the external charger and A/C adapter are optional accessories with the M11D, but a USB-C cable is included. Just wonder if its the USB-C to USB-C used with the SL3 or the USB-C cable that came with the regular M11 series?

Jun 03, 2024 at 06:26 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

stgrove wrote:
I saw that too, but can one select H/L metering and if so how? Will need the full manual to determine many things.

Just noticed that the external charger and A/C adapter are optional accessories with the M11D, but a USB-C cable is included. Just wonder if its the USB-C to USB-C used with the SL3 or the USB-C cable that came with the regular M11 series?

If it operates like the M10-D, metering and other menu settings can be changed by connecting the camera to the Fotos app. The EVF can be used for composition but cannot be used to change settings or preview images (playback).

Jun 03, 2024 at 09:37 AM
stgrove
• • •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

Fred Miranda wrote:
If it operates like the M10-D, metering and other menu settings can be changed by connecting the camera to the Fotos app. The EVF can be used for composition but cannot be used to change settings or preview images (playback).

Assume with the M10D one can use the EVF for fine focusing and focusing magnification or is that taboo?

Jun 03, 2024 at 05:55 PM
fecone
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

looks like an entire user manual leaked for m11-d?

https://www.scribd.com/document/739391800/Leica-M11-D-user-manual#from_embed

Jun 05, 2024 at 12:14 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

fecone wrote:
looks like an entire user manual leaked for m11-d?

https://www.scribd.com/document/739391800/Leica-M11-D-user-manual#from_embed

I think Peter at LeicaRumors misspoke; that's not the entire manual. It was the Quick Start Guide that was available on leica-camera.com a couple of days ago. Leica made it available by mistake. If you searched for "M11-D," the Quick Start Guide was available for download! Leica has now removed the file from their site.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1851463/6#16561417

Jun 05, 2024 at 11:15 AM
ocean2059
• • • •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

Maybe it was not a mistake. Leica, sometime, leaked information to generate on-line discussion and calibrate user communities expectation of certain products. Leica has done that before.

Jun 05, 2024 at 11:32 AM
pistikem

p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

we too, we all are well-calibrated well-formed well-behaved products that buy Leica products - i am waiting for many months for the new m11d, first on the list at our local LeicaBoutique !

Jun 05, 2024 at 11:48 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

ocean2059 wrote:
Maybe it was not a mistake. Leica, sometime, leaked information to generate on-line discussion and calibrate user communities expectation of certain products. Leica has done that before.

Yes, that's possible. However, this camera was scheduled for announcement on May 26th and was later postponed, so some of the literature may have been released despite the delay.

Jun 06, 2024 at 02:22 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

It could be even delayed beyond June now

Jun 07, 2024 at 11:59 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.