New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6              8       9       10       end

Leica M11-D to be announced!

highdesertmesa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

Fred Miranda wrote:
Looks like June release now:

https://leicarumors.com/2024/05/18/leica-m11-d-camera-announcement-delayed-until-june.aspx/

I have a feeling they're wanting to wait until they have a fix for the M11/M11-P SD file corruption issue introduced with 2.0.1. It wouldn't sit well to introduce a camera on the current firmware base.

May 20, 2024 at 06:03 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

highdesertmesa wrote:
I have a feeling they're wanting to wait until they have a fix for the M11/M11-P SD file corruption issue introduced with 2.0.1. It wouldn't sit well to introduce a camera on the current firmware base.

If this is the case, the initial batch of cameras might be shipped with the problematic firmware because Leica likely already has the new cameras packaged and ready for shipment.

May 21, 2024 at 09:26 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

Fred Miranda wrote:
If this is the case, the initial batch of cameras might be shipped with the problematic firmware because Leica likely already has the new cameras packaged and ready for shipment.

Maybe they pull an all-nighter to pack them up But whatever the case, something has delayed the announcement. I'd hope it was because final firmware was almost ready versus they discovered a huge issue and are fixing all initial batch units.

May 21, 2024 at 09:32 AM
fecone
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

Latest update from Leica rumors. Really not getting a fake lever/thumb rest are we

https://leicarumors.com/2024/05/31/here-is-the-upcoming-rumored-leica-m11-d-camera.aspx/

May 31, 2024 at 10:12 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

fecone wrote:
Latest update from Leica rumors. Really not getting a fake lever/thumb rest are we

https://leicarumors.com/2024/05/31/here-is-the-upcoming-rumored-leica-m11-d-camera.aspx/

Wow, it has a very similar style to the Leica M-D Typ 262.

Yes, it lacks the fake advance lever and isn’t made of brass, but it will come with 256GB of internal memory. The default settings are very similar to the M-D, but I’m sure changes can be made via the Fotos app, just like with the M10-D. It's also worth noting that the new M11-D will be equipped with "Leica Content Credentials".

Here is a link to Leica M11-D Quick Start Guide:
https://leica-camera.com/en-US/search?query=M11-D
https://leica-camera.com/sites/default/files/pm-110460-leica_m11-d_qsg.pdf

May 31, 2024 at 10:45 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

Congrats to Peter at Leica Rumors. Most of the rumors seem to be 100% correct:

- Official announcement postponed to June 2024.
- ISO dial on the back instead of a screen (like the Leica M-D Typ 262, not like the Leica M10-D which had an on/off switch and EV compensation wheel on the back).
- No fake advance lever (a.k.a. “integrated fold-out thumb rest”).
- Model 2221 is the rumored Leica M11-D camera.

The rumor that it would be "black paint" do not seem to be correct, as this M11-D is made of aluminum, like the M11.

May 31, 2024 at 10:55 PM
FrozenInTime

Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

They missed a trick : the M10 style ISO dial ( removed ) could have been used to select film simulation type ;-)

Jun 01, 2024 at 01:00 AM
BPsmith511
• • •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

Hmm maybe this will get some M-D 262s to sell into the slightly more affordable for me range

Jun 01, 2024 at 09:05 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

BPsmith511 wrote:
Hmm maybe this will get some M-D 262s to sell into the slightly more affordable for me range

It's likely that the new M11-D may approach a $10,000 price tag, and because it looks similar to the M-D, this might actually drive up the prices of used M-Ds.

Jun 01, 2024 at 11:26 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

FrozenInTime wrote:
They missed a trick : the M10 style ISO dial ( removed ) could have been used to select film simulation type ;-)

Fuji did exactly that!

It could have been the drive mode as well, but perhaps Leica wanted the "D" to be as minimalistic as possible. I prefer using the ISO dial on the back when shooting with my MP and M-D, but I don't mind it being on top in the case of the M10.

Jun 01, 2024 at 11:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

stgrove
• • •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

looks like EVF can be used to change settings, but what does #16 do? I found my answer by downloading the Quick Start Guide on the Leica site. Aluminum and magnesium body, etc , etc, etc.256 IN, Leica Credentials, etc

I now wonder if the "D" stands for DELAY in shooting, based on settings selections shown in QS Guide.

Jun 01, 2024 at 05:17 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

From their Quick Start Guides: Leica M11-P vs Leica M11-D:

Jun 01, 2024 at 08:47 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

Wonder what they mean by an "ISO accessory shoe" in M11D QS Guide. then they mention Viso2 can connect to the ISO Accessory Shoe. Comical who ever wrote this document even in German.

Jun 01, 2024 at 09:26 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

stgrove wrote:
Wonder what they mean by an "ISO accessory shoe" in M11D QS Guide. then they mention Viso2 can connect to the ISO Accessory Shoe. Comical who ever wrote this document even in German.

It's a bit weird for sure. The ISO word just means that the accessory shoe follows internationally recognized specifications, making it universally compatible with equipment designed to those standards.

Jun 01, 2024 at 10:02 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

Edwin wrote a beautiful piece about the M-D here.

In the article, he also speculates about a future Leica M11-D, and it's incredible how accurately he predicted the features and functionality of the M11-D. It's hard to believe that Leica didn't read the article and base the new camera on his comments and predictions. He even created a mock-up where the top ISO dial was removed and the back ISO dial was added to the upcoming camera. The article was written in January 2023, almost a year and a half ago! Wow.

Any guesses on the Leica M11-D's price? I think it will be $9,495.

I'm seriously considering trading my M10-R BP for the new M11-D, but since I also have the M-D, I haven't made a decision yet.

Mock-up from the 2023 article

Jun 01, 2024 at 11:23 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

If $9495 then "less for more" definitely hits the mark here. If it were to be a limited run or special paint then that "could" be justified.

Jun 02, 2024 at 07:28 AM
stgrove
• • •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

Fred Miranda wrote:
It's a bit weird for sure. The ISO word just means that the accessory shoe follows internationally recognized specifications, making it universally compatible with equipment designed to those standards.

Thanks for your comment. Good point, but IMHO they should spell out what they mean by "ISO accessory shoe" since for a photographer it means something completely different than internationally recognized specifications.

Jun 02, 2024 at 07:31 AM
stgrove
• • •
p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

Fred

From your experience when using any "D" camera, is the experience like shooting a film camera but with some limited digital flexibility when and where you want it, like being able to adjust ISO for each frame if need be or wanted, etc?

I assume you must wait to get back home in order to see your results much like developing your film at home, if one develops their own film rolls.

Jun 02, 2024 at 07:42 AM
Bob W

p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

stgrove wrote:
Thanks for your comment. Good point, but IMHO they should spell out what they mean by "ISO accessory shoe" since for a photographer it means something completely different than internationally recognized specifications.

ISO means the same thing in both cases, International Standards Organization. The problem is that photographers have shortened it to just ISO from the ISO Sensitivity to Light standard.

Jun 02, 2024 at 09:28 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #20 · p.7 #20 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

stgrove wrote:
Fred

From your experience when using any "D" camera, is the experience like shooting a film camera but with some limited digital flexibility when and where you want it, like being able to adjust ISO for each frame if need be or wanted, etc?

I assume you must wait to get back home in order to see your results much like developing your film at home, if one develops their own film rolls.

Yes and no.

Shooting with a film camera is always unique because I know I only have 36 shots before having to rewind and remove the film to reload another one. I also know the cost of each roll of film and the effort it takes to develop and scan it at home. This makes me value every shot as something special, and in most cases, this improves my photography. If I know I'm just getting a mundane shot, many times I don't shoot and wait until I get something I think is worth it. So, in this aspect, shooting film is special.

As far as the mechanics and mindset, I also love taking a picture and rewinding the film with the lever. It's very satisfying, and I don't get that with digital.

When it comes to the mindset, the closest I can get to shooting film is with the M-D camera because it's one of the simplest digital Leicas ever produced. There is no auto-ISO or any menu options to change. The settings are permanent with auto-WB and DNG output only. So, just like shooting film, I change the ISO (like loading a certain film sensitivity) for a certain lighting condition, adjust the aperture and shutter speed, and meter the camera manually. Take a shot and move on. No chimping and no rewinding. It's slightly different from shooting film but also familiar. The main adjustment I have to make is to always remember that the shutter speed dial on my M2 and MP rotates the opposite way from my digital Leicas. I'm used to it, but it's something I'm always aware of.

I also do this with my Leica M10-R using a custom-made half case that blocks the LCD. This makes it feel like shooting with the M10-D because I can still use the Wi-Fi and the Visoflex to change settings before my shooting.

Jun 02, 2024 at 10:13 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.