Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

       2       3              8       9       end
  

Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)

  
 
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)


From Leicarumors:

I received some additional information on the rumored Leica M11-D camera:
  1. Official announcement rumored for May 2024 (postponed to June)
  2. ISO dial on the back instead of a screen (like the Leica M-D Typ 262, not like the Leica M10-D that had an on/off switch and EV compensation wheel on the back)
  3. No fake advance lever a.k.a. “integrated fold-out thumb rest





Leica M-D Typ 262




Mar 23, 2024 at 07:14 PM
Stephen G
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)


Without a screen how you will know when it has locked up & eject the battery?

Or is that the idea..



Mar 23, 2024 at 07:18 PM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)


I just ask myself why when I see this. It is a digital camera. How do you get to all the functions and options? Do you just lose all that too?


Mar 23, 2024 at 07:22 PM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)


1bwana1 wrote:
I just ask myself why when I see this. It is a digital camera. How do you get to all the functions and options? Do you just lose all that too?


The M-D type 262 was quickly sold out and became sort of a collector item. It was celebrated as unique camera to shoot digital with a fully manual [film camera] experience. The camera stripped most of advantages digital cameras offer over film cameras. Only ISO can be changed via wheel on the camera back which replaced the LCD screen. It's a camera for purists and enthusiasts plus collectors. Personally, I have never been appealed by the M-D camera. I rather either shoot film or digital and the latter having digital options available with camera screen.



Mar 23, 2024 at 08:33 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)


1bwana1 wrote:
I just ask myself why when I see this. It is a digital camera. How do you get to all the functions and options? Do you just lose all that too?


You set everything from the app just like the M10-D. An M11-D should be a better screen-less camera seeing as how the M11 off-sensor metering is more accurate.



Mar 23, 2024 at 08:34 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)


Stephen G wrote:
Without a screen how you will know when it has locked up & eject the battery?

Or is that the idea..


That joke practically wrote itself! I would assume the little red light of frozen death is still on the camera.



Mar 23, 2024 at 08:37 PM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)


retrofocus wrote:
The M-D type 262 was quickly sold out and became sort of a collector item. It was celebrated as unique camera to shoot digital with a fully manual [film camera] experience. The camera stripped most of advantages digital cameras offer over film cameras. Only ISO can be changed via wheel on the camera back which replaced the LCD screen. It's a camera for purists and enthusiasts plus collectors. Personally, I have never been appealed by the M-D camera. I rather either shoot film or digital and the latter having digital options available with camera screen.


I still can't help asking myself "why?".

But I have the same reaction to the high priced "special editions" based only on color where the buyer puts the set in a safe and never uses it. The IRR of doing that cannot keep up with other financial options.



Mar 23, 2024 at 08:42 PM
flash
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)


1bwana1 wrote:
I still can't help asking myself "why?".

But I have the same reaction to the high priced "special editions" based only on color where the buyer puts the set in a safe and never uses it. The IRR of doing that cannot keep up with other financial options.



Because enough people want them that they sell out almost instantly.

Gordon



Mar 23, 2024 at 10:01 PM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)



flash wrote:
Because enough people want them that they sell out almost instantly.

Gordon


I know they do. It is me that just doesn't get it. The same way I don't get allocated watches (usuallybad time pieces), allocated street super cars (no rational way to push them on the street), and Diamond's (we can grow or mine as many as we can sell). All based on artificial rarity.





Mar 23, 2024 at 10:57 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)


1bwana1 wrote:
I know they do. It is me that just doesn't get it. The same way I don't get allocated watches (usuallybad time pieces), allocated street super cars (no rational way to push them on the street), and Diamond's (we can grow or mine as many as we can sell). All based on artificial rarity.


It may not suit everyone, but if you're accustomed to shooting with Leica M film cameras, this is as close as you can get to that mindset when shooting digitally.

Similar to why many people don't understand the Fuji X-Pro3. There's no definite right or wrong; it's simply an alternative for those who value it.




Mar 23, 2024 at 11:02 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)




Fred Miranda wrote:
It may not suit everyone, but if you're accustomed to shooting with Leica M film cameras, this is as close as you can get to that mindset when shooting digitally.

Similar to why many people don't understand the Fuji X-Pro3. There's no definite right or wrong; it's simply an alternative for those who value it.



I get that. I fully accept that there are enough people who see value in it otherwise Leica wouldn't make it. I guess that says it all.



Mar 23, 2024 at 11:17 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)


Is the absence of a "lever grip" a deal breaker for those thinking about getting a future M11-D?


Mar 23, 2024 at 11:58 PM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)




Fred Miranda wrote:
Is the absence of a "lever grip" a deal breaker for those thinking about getting a future M11-D?


I guess one could just add one of these:
https://idsworks.store/?ref=ck3IcVSO



Mar 24, 2024 at 12:19 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)


Will they have fixed the sensor scratching issue?


Mar 24, 2024 at 12:28 AM
tigerlo
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)


highdesertmesa wrote:
You set everything from the app just like the M10-D. An M11-D should be a better screen-less camera seeing as how the M11 off-sensor metering is more accurate.



I have a question, since there's no screen, how can user pair their cell phone with the camera for the first time?



Mar 24, 2024 at 12:30 AM
oscartb
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)


tigerlo wrote:
I have a question, since there's no screen, how can user pair their cell phone with the camera for the first time?


Assuming it works like the M10-D does, you'll scan a QR code to connect the app to the phone the first time. On the M10-D the code was on the bottom covered by the baseplate, presumably they'll have to find a new place to hide it with the M11-D



Mar 24, 2024 at 03:19 AM
markhout
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)


No screen - does that mean no hotshoe EVF capability either (i.e. added focusing challenge for non-RF coupled lenses)?


Mar 24, 2024 at 06:24 AM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)




oscartb wrote:
Assuming it works like the M10-D does, you'll scan a QR code to connect the app to the phone the first time. On the M10-D the code was on the bottom covered by the baseplate, presumably they'll have to find a new place to hide it with the M11-D



Oh, now I get it. You do have a screen. It is just on your phone instead of conviently located on the back of the camera.



Mar 24, 2024 at 07:13 AM
LBJ2
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)


1bwana1 wrote:
Oh, now I get it. You do have a screen. It is just on your phone instead of conviently located on the back of the camera.


From what I read, some adore the -D variant. If I remember correctly the M10-D sold out and become unobtainable quickly. With this rumor, I bet some have already requested a spot in the M11-D preorder queue.



Mar 24, 2024 at 07:28 AM
lifeandmylens
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)


markhout wrote:
No screen - does that mean no hotshoe EVF capability either (i.e. added focusing challenge for non-RF coupled lenses)?


The M10-D allows for the use of a Visoflex. But only with red focus peaking turned on. There was no way to turn it off. It was one of my least favorite aspects of the camera. It made it quite hard to check lenses for perfect RF calibration.



Mar 24, 2024 at 09:06 AM
       2       3              8       9       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

       2       3              8       9       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.