New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8              10       end

Leica M11-D to be announced!

retrofocus
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

stgrove wrote:
It could be even delayed beyond June now

...maybe beta testers experienced camera freezing issues here similar to the M11, too.....

Jun 07, 2024 at 12:18 PM
fecone
• •
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

stgrove wrote:
It could be even delayed beyond June now

uh oh -- was there something leaked indicating that?

Jun 07, 2024 at 01:12 PM
stgrove
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

I said "could" so that might be the case.

Jun 07, 2024 at 06:16 PM
rollei35_warton

p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

retrofocus wrote:
...maybe beta testers experienced camera freezing issues here similar to the M11, too.....

no they don't.
without a back screen they don't even know it's frozen when it's frozen

Jun 07, 2024 at 09:10 PM
SLD
• • • • •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

rollei35_warton wrote:
no they don't.
without a back screen they don't even know it's frozen when it's frozen

Once you have a frozen camera, it's not operable, so of course you will know about it...Nothing to do with if you have a back screen or not, any way !

Jun 07, 2024 at 10:13 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

If it goes to ES then there could be no sound to tell you the image was captured. But if frozen at least the exposure dot and arrows will indicate it is on.

I froze my M6 once but it was minus 30 and the film did not feel like moving.

Jun 08, 2024 at 06:16 AM
fecone
• •
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

welp. more delays. 2-3m likely around September this time.

https://leicarumors.com/2024/06/15/the-leica-m11-d-camera-has-been-delayed-again.aspx/

Jun 15, 2024 at 05:39 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

stgrove wrote:
I said "could" so that might be the case.

You are right again!

Jun 15, 2024 at 05:58 PM
goodbokeh
• • •
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

The M3 was introduced in April 1954 and its' 70 year mark is here. I also turn 70 in October and this 70 year coincidence has me thinking a new M is a good idea. I really like the iPhone geocoding via the Leica Fotos app that the M11 line offers. My SL2 and Q2 also have Fotos geocoding and I find it very useful and fun. I miss that geocoding on my M10-R when traveling.

A M11-P in silver, maybe even a black paint anniversary model, was on my list but sadly I've gotten cold feet given the ongoing saga of the M11 line's baffling firmware-freeze problems. The latest firmware 2.1.1 offered hope but it's getting mixed reviews over on the Leica Forum.

The M11-D still has my interest though. Because it will be a unique model with minimal design I hope it's a fresh start offering fewer features like no rear LCD for live view and playback function that further reduce the number of M11 freeze failure points. I agree with highdesertmesa that the rear LCD is not all that valuable for judging IQ on my M10-R & M anyway.

I understand the rumored M11-D introduction has been pushed back to September. I think that's a good thing both to give Leica more time to properly sort things and it's closer to my Birthday.

Jun 17, 2024 at 01:19 PM
bcaslis
• • •
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

In my opinion the M11 freezing problem is vastly overrated. I've had the M11 for 18 months now. It has frozen a total of 5 times. The worst problem was with firmware 2.0.2 I would occasionally get a corrupted image. With 2.1.1 that seems to be fixed. If you are interested in an M11 get one. The image quality is spectular combined with Leica lenses and the battery life is great.

Jun 19, 2024 at 05:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

fecone
• •
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

bcaslis wrote:
In my opinion the M11 freezing problem is vastly overrated. I've had the M11 for 18 months now. It has frozen a total of 5 times. The worst problem was with firmware 2.0.2 I would occasionally get a corrupted image. With 2.1.1 that seems to be fixed. If you are interested in an M11 get one. The image quality is spectular combined with Leica lenses and the battery life is great.

Agree! In the time I had my M11 I never had freezing issues (thankfully).

Edited on Jun 20, 2024 at 09:57 AM · View previous versions

Jun 19, 2024 at 06:03 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

This situation is quite interesting. Leica's release of the M11 has sparked debates about stability issues. While some users receive flawless cameras, many others encounter problems. Those with seemingly "perfect" cameras tend to dislike hearing complaints from those less fortunate, often saying things like, "Yes, my camera only froze a few times so far," which seems acceptable to them. Meanwhile, the company responds by quietly issuing firmware updates, trying to address the issues, but it seems to be taking a long time to completely fix them. Despite this, they continue to release new cameras that seem to be based on the same problematic software or hardware.

Jun 19, 2024 at 11:58 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

Fred Miranda wrote:
This situation is quite interesting. Leica's release of the M11 has sparked debates about stability issues. While some users receive flawless cameras, many others encounter problems. Those with seemingly "perfect" cameras tend to dislike hearing complaints from those less fortunate, often saying things like, "Yes, my camera only froze a few times so far," which seems acceptable to them. Meanwhile, the company responds by quietly issuing firmware updates, trying to address the issues, but it seems to be taking a long time to completely fix them. Despite this, they continue to release new cameras that seem to be based
...Show more

+1 ..... and prices for M10-R remain high and these cameras not easy to get.

Jun 20, 2024 at 07:28 AM
pistikem

p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

you meant perhaps the 'M10-D' ? yes, their prices are high, but they also don't seem to go on the market - whatever the reason(s) are for that. all things around the 'Ds' seem to be stalled...

retrofocus wrote:
+1 ..... and prices for M10-R remain high and these cameras not easy to get.

Jun 20, 2024 at 07:48 AM
panos.v
• • • •
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

One M10-D for sale at Leica Mayfair London...if anyone was looking. There's one in Leica Madrid too. If a third one turns up we can make the joke about buses!

Jun 20, 2024 at 09:23 AM
bcaslis
• • •
p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

Fred Miranda wrote:
This situation is quite interesting. Leica's release of the M11 has sparked debates about stability issues. While some users receive flawless cameras, many others encounter problems. Those with seemingly "perfect" cameras tend to dislike hearing complaints from those less fortunate, often saying things like, "Yes, my camera only froze a few times so far," which seems acceptable to them. Meanwhile, the company responds by quietly issuing firmware updates, trying to address the issues, but it seems to be taking a long time to completely fix them. Despite this, they continue to release new cameras that seem to be based
...Show more

To be fair, the issue is the complaints seem to be very loud and often (and if you look at the Leica forum website from particular members or members with no history), and those reporting few or no problems are shouted down. The problem is really out of control with people saying the M11-D delay is due to firmware bugs.

I do not say there are no bugs or Leica shouldn't address this in a better manner. But the one store that sells Leica in my area is still selling M11s faster than any previous release and have had no complaints about these freezes from their customers. I think we need to balance these forum complaints rather take the Internet forum view that all M11 are faulty.

Jun 20, 2024 at 09:40 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

bcaslis wrote:
To be fair, the issue is the complaints seem to be very loud and often (and if you look at the Leica forum website from particular members or members with no history), and those reporting few or no problems are shouted down. The problem is really out of control with people saying the M11-D delay is due to firmware bugs.

I do not say there are no bugs or Leica shouldn't address this in a better manner. But the one store that sells Leica in my area is still selling M11s faster than any previous release and have had no complaints
...Show more

I don't think we need to balance anything since we don't work for Leica. Everyone, whether they have issues or not, should be able to speak freely. My hope is that instead of arguing among ourselves, we put pressure on Leica to resolve these issues quickly. This has been happening, but it's taking a long time. The takeaway is that perhaps Leica should focus more resources on development, not just for cool new features, but also to ensure the stability of the camera is the highest priority.

Jun 20, 2024 at 10:22 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

pistikem wrote:
you meant perhaps the 'M10-D' ? yes, their prices are high, but they also don't seem to go on the market - whatever the reason(s) are for that. all things around the 'Ds' seem to be stalled...

Nope the M10-R I meant. Because people often seem to buy this one instead of the M11.

Jun 20, 2024 at 12:55 PM
hncc.photo

p.9 #19 · p.9 #19 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

I have owned three M11 cameras, and all three froze multiple times. The last one, which I sold last week, froze 4-5 times during a short 30-minute walk in the park after installing the newest firmware, and then every other day. Mind you, I never used an SD card in the M11 and relied solely on its internal memory.

Jun 20, 2024 at 02:54 PM
BPsmith511
• • •
p.9 #20 · p.9 #20 · Leica M11-D to be announced!

panos.v wrote:
One M10-D for sale at Leica Mayfair London...if anyone was looking. There's one in Leica Madrid too. If a third one turns up we can make the joke about buses!

Saw one today at Leica SoHo. Good condition too.

Jun 20, 2024 at 09:08 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.