Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4              8       9       end

Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)

stevejack2

Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)

1bwana1 wrote:
Honestly Fred I think Leica has pretty much sorted out the freezing up issue. Neither I, nor any of the couple of dozen M11 users I know personally, are having problems these days. It now feels as solid as my M10-P in daily use. At this time I believe the benefits of the M11 outweigh any of the very small risks that may remain. It is an amazingly good camera in so many ways.

Unfortunately I have freezing issues on my M11M. I bought the M11M with firmware 2.02, but my M11 is still on the old 1.6x firmware and is rock solid but I know some people on the old firmware were having issues which the 2.x firmwares fixed. It's a bit of a mixed bag as to who gets freezes I think.
And at least in my case, I use the cameras in the exact same way and one freezes while the other doesn't.

Mar 25, 2024 at 06:15 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)

stevejack2 wrote:
Unfortunately I have freezing issues on my M11M. I bought the M11M with firmware 2.02, but my M11 is still on the old 1.6x firmware and is rock solid but I know some people on the old firmware were having issues which the 2.x firmwares fixed. It's a bit of a mixed bag as to who gets freezes I think.
And at least in my case, I use the cameras in the exact same way and one freezes while the other doesn't.

That is the one thing that gives me pause. The freezing issue seems to be so random. No date, or serial number ranges, or even firmware version that seem to be identifiable. This coupled with Leica never saying that they have found the thing that is causing it, and have definitively fixed it.

On your M11-M which is freezing, have you tried shooting it exclusively on internal memory without an SD Card even installed? Some have found that this eliminates the freezing.

Mar 25, 2024 at 06:59 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)

wdshuck wrote:
You are not helping my wallet 🤣 I have been very tempted to upgrade my M10.

But I am helping your enjoyment of photography.

Seriously, I have kept my M10-P because I loved it so much. But maybe time to sell it on. I haven't shot it since I got my M11. I have found it to be such a huge experience and IQ upgrade.

Mar 25, 2024 at 07:05 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)

stevejack2 wrote:

That's what I'm getting at. This problem hasn't been fully resolved since it's still occurring for many owners of the M11 series like yourself.
I don't think it's just random chance. It happens when a specific set of variables align. However, a complete fix to eliminate the issue hasn't been found yet. Leica is getting there.

Mar 25, 2024 at 07:24 PM
stevejack2

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)

1bwana1 wrote:
That is the one thing that gives me pause. The freezing issue seems to be so random. No date, or serial number ranges, or even firmware version that seem to be identifiable. This coupled with Leica never saying that they have found the thing that is causing it, and have definitively fixed it.

On your M11-M which is freezing, have you tried shooting it exclusively on internal memory without an SD Card even installed? Some have found that this eliminates the freezing.

Yes I've tried using internal memory only, which is how I'm using the camera now. I have had one freeze since then but it wasn't the usual spinning arrows, I still had to remove the battery to fix it though.

Mar 25, 2024 at 07:56 PM
stevejack2

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)

Fred Miranda wrote:
That's what I'm getting at. This problem hasn't been fully resolved since it's still occurring for many owners of the M11 series like yourself.
I don't think it's just random chance. It happens when a specific set of variables align. However, a complete fix to eliminate the issue hasn't been found yet. Leica is getting there.

Yep, though I would say as someone who uses the M11 and M11M in identical ways, with the same lenses, using the same workflow, even using the same SD card (formatted in-camera each time before shooting) I can't get my M11 to freeze at all but the M11M will freeze frequently, and the M11M gives me corrupt DNGs as well.

The only thing I can't test is whether the 2.02 firmware created the issues as I purchased the M11M with that firmware already installed. I am reluctant to update the firmware on my M11 in case I start getting the same issues, though of course it could be completely unrelated to firmware.

Mar 25, 2024 at 08:01 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)

Fred Miranda wrote:
Is the absence of a "lever grip" a deal breaker for those thinking about getting a future M11-D?

Yes, I believe so. Why take up the hot shoe with a third party fake one where if wanted could you put a Viso2 EVF? Or is that not going to be possible?

Mar 25, 2024 at 09:39 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)

stevejack2 wrote:
Yep, though I would say as someone who uses the M11 and M11M in identical ways, with the same lenses, using the same workflow, even using the same SD card (formatted in-camera each time before shooting) I can't get my M11 to freeze at all but the M11M will freeze frequently, and the M11M gives me corrupt DNGs as well.

The only thing I can't test is whether the 2.02 firmware created the issues as I purchased the M11M with that firmware already installed. I am reluctant to update the firmware on my M11 in case I start getting the
...Show more

My M11M was flawless until 2.02, after which I had the same issues you mention. I did a full reset of the camera, including profiles. Turned off the new dust protection feature. Reformatted the card with SD Formatter. No freezes or corrupt DNGs since (so far).

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:27 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)

highdesertmesa wrote:
My M11M was flawless until 2.02, after which I had the same issues you mention. I did a full reset of the camera, including profiles. Turned off the new dust protection feature. Reformatted the card with SD Formatter. No freezes or corrupt DNGs since (so far).

And that describes the problem perfectly. But which of those changes, or combination of changes fixed your issue? No one knows.

My M11 was perfect for almost a year of everyday use. Then suddenly over a three day period it started freezing. I switched from a very fast Sony Tough card to a slower Lexar 1800x card and have once again been flawless fo many Months now. However, I have read of others using that same Lexar card and having freezes.

I never reset my camera.

I still use my same profiles.

I still have the dust protection feature turned on.

I format the card in camera regularly.

I know another guy who sys a Leica insider told him that the M11 writes a hidden file to SD cards that causes problems. He advised him to only shoot to internal memory and that can't happen. He made this change and has had no problems since.

In the end I am grateful that I have what appears to be a stable, reliable M11 that I love shooting. However, I have no idea what this is the result of, nor what causes the problems in others cameras. Leica is not being open about the situation. I find this unacceptable behaviour by Leica.

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:56 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)

1bwana1 wrote:
And that describes the problem perfectly. But which of those changes, or combination of changes fixed your issue? No one knows.

My M11 was perfect for almost a year of everyday use. Then suddenly over a three day period it started freezing. I switched from a very fast Sony Tough card to a slower Lexar 1800x card and have once again been flawless fo many Months now. However, I have read of others using that same Lexar card and having freezes.

I never reset my camera.

I still use my same profiles.

I still have the dust protection feature turned on.

I format the card
...Show more

Sony Tough cards are known to be trouble in Q and M cameras. I’m surprised it worked for you as long as it did. That being said, if anyone knows about M11 problems, it’s me. I had three M11s before the fourth finally was stable. Eventually sold it anyway and have the M11M now. I agree that the situation is unacceptable, especially the current firmware that introduced issues to units that previously had none. They should have already provided an update that installed the previous firmware.

Mar 26, 2024 at 07:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ftllens
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)

that IDS thumb grip is nice, but i wish leica kept the integrated one, maybe they are gonna sell their own version

Mar 27, 2024 at 02:20 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)

Fred Miranda wrote:

"Freezes sneezes", I am thinking this Black Paint M11 may just prove to be irresistible for you Fed.

https://leicarumors.com/2024/03/27/new-rumor-black-paint-leica-m11-camera-in-the-works.aspx/

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:14 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)

1bwana1 wrote:
"Freezes sneezes", I am thinking this Black Paint M11 may just prove to be irresistible for you Fed.

https://leicarumors.com/2024/03/27/new-rumor-black-paint-leica-m11-camera-in-the-works.aspx/

Wow!
But, I couldn't imagine parting with my M10-R BP. It's flawless, reliable, and consistently delivers outstanding images. There's simply no need for me to upgrade.

Mar 27, 2024 at 03:47 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)

Fred
Get 2 of the M11 BP and if they brick use them as bookends.

Mar 27, 2024 at 06:06 PM
stevejack2

p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)

1bwana1 wrote:
[ I am thinking this Black Paint M11 may just prove to be irresistible for you Fed.

Interesting, I thought the M11 was already black paint. Maybe they mean black paint over brass rather than the current alloy, and with the knurled knobs of the BP models.
I would love a black paint over brass D model. That would be my ideal.

Mar 27, 2024 at 06:41 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)

stevejack2 wrote:
Interesting, I thought the M11 was already black paint. Maybe they mean black paint over brass rather than the current alloy, and with the knurled knobs of the BP models.
I would love a black paint over brass D model. That would be my ideal.

Yes, it's probable that the paint will be similar to the glossy (enamel) finish used on the Leica M10-R Black Paint edition. It should be on brass which would make the camera similar in weight to the 'Silver' M11. I would also welcome a M11-D Black Paint version.

The question is: Will it be a special edition like the M10-R BP? I believe Leica only sold 2000 cameras.

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:36 PM
pistikem

p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)

so, it appears, as per LeicaRumors, that the best of two worlds come together, black-paint with the M11-D, or vice versa.
if Leica just didn't forget about that cursed thumb-rest, then i would be happiest. anyway, middle of may we will hopefully know how the new D will look. and we will then also see its price, hopefully still below €10k...

Mar 30, 2024 at 08:03 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)

pistikem wrote:
so, it appears, as per LeicaRumors, that the best of two worlds come together, black-paint with the M11-D, or vice versa.
if Leica just didn't forget about that cursed thumb-rest, then i would be happiest. anyway, middle of may we will hopefully know how the new D will look. and we will then also see its price, hopefully still below €10k...

Oh, wow! Now I'm intrigued.

Mar 30, 2024 at 08:06 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)

"Is this the first leaked picture of the upcoming/rumored Leica M11-D “Black Paint” camera?"

https://leicarumors.com/2024/03/31/is-this-the-first-picture-of-the-upcoming-rumored-leica-m11-d-black-paint-camera.aspx/#more-92489

The below-pictured camera does not have the front button from the Leica M10-R black paint version and it also does not have a battery compartment in the front found in most film cameras. Unless I am missing something, the above-pictured camera could really be the rumored Leica M11-D “Black Paint”. If you also know that Instagram account’s owner, everything will make even more sense…

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:30 PM
cborel83

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Leica M11-D to be announced in May (postponed to June)

Are these the same prices as an M11 just minus a back screen?

Apr 01, 2024 at 07:02 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.