New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5              33       34       end

Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

IsabellaR

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Please read carfully: I said "in some ways". I have the 24mm GM and I had the Batis and I am right. The Batis had better colours and it is better against the sun and also with the sun coming from the edge of the picture / outside the frame.
A good comparison can you find here:
http://www.sonyuserforum.de/forum/showthread.php?t=188407

In addition, the rendering of the Batis is clearly superior.

I have to admit that I am not able to get the same result with PS / LR / anything else, but show me how to do this, you can use Fred's against the sun samples...

I find my 24mm GM to be really sharp at open apertures but not to be an overall winner. It has weaknesses with the sun, with the corners, with stopping down (essential for landscape photography), with colours,... And, sorry there is absolutely no 3D (my 3D is not making a picture with open aperture at closest possible distance) in the results.
I will keep mine, but I am not a fan boy, so I am able to see the weaknesses.

And why are you always so emotional. It is just a piece of glass and metal, so keep cool.

Nov 02, 2018 at 11:06 AM
Stevvi
• •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

As somebody that might be interested in buying the lens, I have difficulties to understand why you are keeping the lens? Yes you like the sharpness wide open (which everyone seems to support), but what is it really that lets you keep the lens in your portfolio, despite the weaknesses you point out?

IsabellaR wrote:
Please read carfully: I said "in some ways". I have the 24mm GM and I had the Batis and I am right. The Batis had better colours and it is better against the sun and also with the sun coming from the edge of the picture / outside the frame.

I have to admit that I am not able to get the same result with PS / LR / anything else, but show me how to do this, you can use Fred's against the
...Show more

Edited on Nov 02, 2018 at 11:51 AM · View previous versions

Nov 02, 2018 at 11:21 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Schlotkins wrote:
Looking forward to coma and vignetting if you can Fred. That resolution looks SWEET for an astro lens to replace my Sanyang 24.

Looks like clear skies tonight!

Nov 02, 2018 at 11:23 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

IsabellaR wrote:

I have to admit that I am not able to get the same result with PS / LR / anything else, but show me how to do this, you can use Fred's against the
...Show more

Iím not emotional at all. Thatís just me itís all about the passion after 4 decades as a working Pro. No passion than I donít survive this business

Edited on Nov 02, 2018 at 11:27 AM · View previous versions

Nov 02, 2018 at 11:24 AM
jwhatts
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
Looks like clear skies tonight!

I'm looking forward to this. Been looking forward to this ever since this lens was rumored

Nov 02, 2018 at 11:26 AM
zugzwang2
• •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

I went looking for other comparisons of the new Sony 24mm with the Loxia 25mm f/2.4 at landscape apertures, and found instead the following Imatest results at Focus Numerique, in cycles/pixel at f/5.6:

Batis 25mm: 0.31 center; 0.28 mid; 0.22 corner
Sony 24mm: 0.31 center; 0.29 mid; 0.21 corner
Loxia 21mm: 0.29 center; 0.29 mid; 0.27 corner (no test of the Loxia 25mm)
also, FWIW, the Sony 28mm: 0.31 center; 0.12 mid; 0.04 corner

https://www.lesnumeriques.com/objectif/zeiss-batis-25-mm-f-2-p25973/test.html
https://www.lesnumeriques.com/objectif/sony-fe-24-mm-f-1-4-gm-p46179/test.html
https://www.lesnumeriques.com/objectif/zeiss-loxia-21-mm-f-2-8-p48347/test.html
https://www.lesnumeriques.com/objectif/sony-fe-28-mm-f-2-p48283/test.html

Nov 02, 2018 at 11:32 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

zugzwang2 wrote:
I went looking for other comparisons of the new Sony 24mm with the Loxia 25mm f/2.4 at landscape apertures, and found instead the following Imatest results at Focus Numerique, in cycles/pixel at f/5.6:

Batis 25mm: 0.31 center; 0.28 mid; 0.22 corner
Sony 24mm: 0.31 center; 0.29 mid; 0.21 corner
Loxia 21mm: 0.29 center; 0.29 mid; 0.27 corner (no test of the Loxia 25mm)
also, FWIW, the Sony 28mm: 0.31 center; 0.12 mid; 0.04 corner

https://www.lesnumeriques.com/objectif/zeiss-batis-25-mm-f-2-p25973/test.html
https://www.lesnumeriques.com/objectif/sony-fe-24-mm-f-1-4-gm-p46179/test.html
https://www.lesnumeriques.com/objectif/zeiss-loxia-21-mm-f-2-8-p48347/test.html
https://www.lesnumeriques.com/objectif/sony-fe-28-mm-f-2-p48283/test.html

Landscape apertures but not tested at landscape distance, FYI.

The GM 24 is definitely not for everyone, though I imagine for most who valued the flexibility this one affords, it's a clear winner. Those who don't like the GM 24 have stated their preferences, though some come off as hyper-critical.

For those of you are not too happy with the GM, your Loxia or Batis can't never do f/1.4. There is no need to argue further why Batis/Loxia is superior at f/5.6 or f/8, especially when you feel really strong about it. This GM is the best 24/1.4 out there, take it for what it is. I know I wouldn't pick the Batis or the Loxia since this is not really my focal lengths for landscape. And what the GM can provide here is more than enough for what I shoot.

Nov 02, 2018 at 11:42 AM
IsabellaR

p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Stevvi wrote:
As somebody that might be interested in buying the lens, I have difficulties to understand why you are keeping the lens? Yes you like the sharpness wide open (which everyone seems to support), but what is it really that lets you keep the lens in your portfolio, despite the weaknesses?

Unlike many others, I've known since the announcement that I'll buy the GM, regardless of price, because I wanted a native high-speed wide-angle.
I love Brenizer and would love to have a 24mm f 0.0xx ...

I think the sharpness of the GM is outstanding at open aperture, but overall I would have expected more.

Nov 02, 2018 at 11:54 AM
xpfloyd
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Well Iím sold. Think Iíll swap my Batis and my Samyang 24 for the GM. Keeping the lox 21 though

Nov 02, 2018 at 11:56 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Specular Highlight rendering (bokeh balls)

Here is a comparison between the GM 24/1.4 GM, Loxia 25/2.4 and Batis 25/2.

The Batis is an old file and does not match the lighting but we can still compare them for onion ring patterns and outlining:

Towards the center of the frame

Loxia vs GM at f/2.5: Both lenses are pretty clean although the GM is a bit cleaner. It also shows less outlining at this aperture. Curiously, the GM's bokeh balls are more rounded even stopped down thanks to its round aperture blades.

Loxia vs GM at f/2.5: The GM's specular highlights are bigger from the f/1.4 aperture. Both have very clean inner structure and the GM's balls are more rounded

Here is a Batis 25/2 crop wide open taken a while back just for comparison. There is more visible outlining and onion bokeh in comparison

Nov 02, 2018 at 12:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Here is a comparison towards the edges.

Nov 02, 2018 at 12:15 PM
Holger
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

IsabellaR wrote:
It is not better in every way.
It's only better in some ways, though it's newer and it's more expensive than the sigma and the batis. And it is inferior to the Batis in some points (Review of "aidualk").

I own the Batis 25 and the 24 GM. So far, in my limited time with it, the 24GM is better in all metrics I am interested in and looked at. Work and weather didn't permit thorough testing to get to a final conclusion, though.
The rendering (this includes bokeh) is nicer with the GM for me. Just look at the outlining of the bokeh balls Fred posted.

The Sigma wasn't a great lens. I replaced it with the Batis, as I was frustrated about its sharpness away from the central region and field curvature. The 24GM is in another league in my opinion.

Nov 02, 2018 at 12:22 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Stevvi wrote:
As somebody that might be interested in buying the lens, I have difficulties to understand why you are keeping the lens? Yes you like the sharpness wide open (which everyone seems to support), but what is it really that lets you keep the lens in your portfolio, despite the weaknesses you point out?

It's too bad that some people here feel the need to tell us what we see, and worst make us justify keeping a lens. I am in the same camp as Isabella. The lens does have its share of weaknesses, but that doesn't mean I won't keep it for now. What is the big deal about that, and why do I need to justify any of that to anyone here?

Nov 02, 2018 at 12:31 PM
Stevvi
• •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Well, I am sorry if I have offended you, although I did not even asked you. Isabella has understood my question and has answered to my satisfaction. I am totally fine with her opinion (and yours) and expectations but wanted to understand her decision making process, ya esta!

pdmphoto wrote:

It's too bad that some people here feel the need to tell us what we see, and worst make us justify keeping a lens. I am in the same camp as Isabella. The lens does have its share of weaknesses, but that doesn't mean I won't keep it for now. What is the big deal about that, and why do I need to justify any of that to anyone here?

Nov 02, 2018 at 12:43 PM
Holger
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

pdmphoto wrote:

Nobody denies you your opinion. My personal impression is, it comes along quite exaggerated, however, concentrating on flaws mostly instead of the positives.
No lens is perfect, all are compromises. Having an f1.4 aperture, being designed small and light, it is amazing to get such a versatile competitor. An excellent event lens, providing quick AF, which doubles as a great landscape lens, too, being bested only by specalist lenses like the Loxia MF 25/2.4. And we are talking about small differences, nothing to worry about in taking real life images.
I can't see the GM to be a lot weaker against the sun compared to the Loxia either, judged by the images seen here. Bokeh is a lot nicer, too. Colors are subjective. I prefer consistency in my lens line-up as much as possible.

Nov 02, 2018 at 12:44 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Holger wrote:
Exactly. And if I look at the images Albert Dros is producing with such a lens, unless one is clearly making a living out of landscape photography, doing very huge prints etc., nobody could complain about such a lens.

Albert's images are kinda artsy and viewed at web sizes. Any 24/1.4 would produce a very similar image, especially at web sizes. I prefer to take more technical landscapes where things like flare, ghosting, CA, color, corner sharpness,.... are important to me. As purely a landscape lens I prefer the Sony 28. My last copy was at least as sharp across the frame, with less CA, similar flare performance, and less light fall of stopped down. The GM has the faster aperture, performs very nicely there, but I don't plan to use that much for my daylight landscape images. It is also a lot bigger and heavier than the Sony 28.

Nov 02, 2018 at 12:53 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Holger wrote:
Nobody denies you your opinion. My personal impression is, it comes along quite exaggerated, however, concentrating on flaws mostly instead of the positives.
No lens is perfect, all are compromises. Having an f1.4 aperture, being designed small and light, it is amazing to get such a versatile competitor. An excellent event lens, providing quick AF, which doubles as a great landscape lens, too, being bested only by specalist lenses like the Loxia MF 25/2.4. And we are talking about small differences, nothing to worry about in taking real life images.
I can't see the GM to be a lot weaker against the
...Show more

I feel that some opinions here are exaggerated as well, so it at least there is some balance here

Nov 02, 2018 at 01:02 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Holger wrote:
I can't see the GM to be a lot weaker against the
...Show more

You shouldn't take his statements too seriously. I saw the patterns so I just ignored them . Though nowadays, if people keep repeating certain things over and over, it must be true. Give him another month, and the whole internet might label this lens as Sony's worst GM lens yet. Hopefully, people will take time to look through what Fred and Guy have done here to draw their own conclusions instead of believing in some outrageous claims.

Nov 02, 2018 at 01:05 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Lateral CA correction

Regarding lateral CA.
When editing Sony FE 24/1.4 GM raw files in Lightroom, lateral chromatic aberration is automatically corrected with a built-in profile even if CA correction is turned off "in-camera" and unchecked in Lightroom. (See Lightroom alert message below)
I don't see any way to turn this off.

I brought a RAW file to Capture One, which does not correct CA automatically and as suspected LaCA is more pronounced. See below:

Built-in CA correction alert in Lightroom. No way to turn this off unless using an older version of LR or taping the lens contacts

Sony 24/1.4 GM Lateral CA shown in Capture one (extreme edge at f/5.6)

Nov 02, 2018 at 01:57 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
Regarding lateral CA.
When editing Sony FE 24/1.4 GM raw files in Lightroom, lateral chromatic aberration is automatically corrected with a built-in profile even if CA correction is turned off "in-camera" and unchecked in Lightroom. (See Lightroom alert message below)
I don't see any way to turn this off.

I brought a RAW file to Capture One, which does not correct CA automatically and as suspected LaCA is more pronounced. See below:

What is the practical significance of the LaCA, given how effectively it seems to be corrected by software?

Increasingly, software is so much a part of how a lens functions. I would imagine that is going to continue to increase, as with software implementation of bokeh characteristics. And I assume that lens designers might permit flaws that they know will be well-corrected by software in order to achieve useful design characteristics (like large apertures), or they might create designs that tolerate software-correctable flaws in order to reduce other flaws that are not so easily correctable by software.

Is it the case that the software-correction damages the image or the file in a significant way?

Nov 02, 2018 at 02:10 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.