Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Another angle. FE 24/1.4 GM vs Loxia 25/2.4 @ f/8:

Nov 02, 2018 at 10:08 AM
jwhatts
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

I still want to know about f/8-f/11 performance against either of the 16-35's, mostly to know which lens is sharper in that area when doing more depth of field landscapes where some elements are a bit closer to you. I see a lot of situations where I'd bring the 24 alongside my 16-35/4 when doing an astro/landscape trip and I want the low light performance of the 24 with the versatility of the 16-35. However knowing me, I'd want to make sure I had the sharper f/8-f/11 landscape lens on when doing pure landscapes (not nightscapes).

Edit - I now see Fred's response to me in another thread, but I'll leave this up in case anybody decides they want to test the zooms against the GM

Edited on Nov 02, 2018 at 11:37 AM · View previous versions

Nov 02, 2018 at 10:08 AM
Clayphish
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Holger wrote:
Exactly. And if I look at the images Albert Dros is producing with such a lens, unless one is clearly making a living out of landscape photography, doing very huge prints etc., nobody could complain about such a lens.

Even if you did print out very large print, I doubt anyone would look at it and say.. "ya know, I think the Loxia would do this better" or think its some how missing something.

GMPhotography wrote:
I have the Raws posted on Big Bronco that you can download. I also have just the Sony though infinity raws as well.

Thanks!! I'll give'm a go!

Nov 02, 2018 at 10:09 AM
IsabellaR

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Yes, we all know that you only need a smartphone for worldclass pictures.

But if you pay 1400 USD in 2018 for a brand new "G-Master" prime, I think you are allowed to expect more than average.

And even if the GM is the best autofocus 24mm f1.4 prime, what should that mean? It is the newest and there are not so many...

Nov 02, 2018 at 10:11 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

When induced, flare ghosting and veiling can be an issue for both lenses:

Nov 02, 2018 at 10:12 AM
IsabellaR

p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Regarding colors, people always say things like it is just a matter of postprocessing... But it is not.
I would really appriciate if somebody could show me how to easily match the outpoot of the loxia with a few tweaks in PS. I doubt it.

Nov 02, 2018 at 10:16 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

IsabellaR wrote:

But if you pay 1400 USD in 2018 for a brand new "G-Master" prime, I think you are allowed to expect more than average.

And even if the GM is the best autofocus 24mm f1.4 prime, what should that mean? It is the newest and there are not so many...

Im sorry but its punching far above average. Seriously where is the real weak point for you.

On color your never ever ever going to be shooting in real world with 2 different lenses of the same focal length. Also in landscape it really comes down to what you feel is right. There are NO standards and its the easiest color images you have to deal with. Shooting a Coke can and getting the exact red that is Coco Cola color is far more demanding than a tree in the wild. Or shooting makeup to the exact color of the product. This landscape stuff is a joke when it comes to color its what YOU like. Dont like it than tweak it

Edited on Nov 02, 2018 at 10:23 AM · View previous versions

Nov 02, 2018 at 10:16 AM
Holger
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

IsabellaR wrote:

It is. It is better than the Canon 24/1.4ii I shot with, or the Nikon 24/1.4 I tried. It is better than the Sigme 24/1.4 which I used for a long time and easily competes with the Batis 25. It is very close to the Loxia 25, too, with both having strengths and weaknesses. So would that meet the more than average criteria?

I love it, that it renders close to my other Sony lenses. It is a mess to try to get all lenses alike in post after a wedding. A Loxia 25 would cause a lot more problems for me.

Nov 02, 2018 at 10:17 AM
IsabellaR

p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

It is not better in every way.
It's only better in some ways, though it's newer and it's more expensive than the sigma and the batis. And it is inferior to the Batis in some points (Review of "aidualk").

Nov 02, 2018 at 10:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Inferior to the Batis. Not a chance watch this. Just found my Batis test

This is a center test I always do. Now they are shot at different times of the year . I never had them together. And I even screwed up and processed the Sony at 1.8

Nov 02, 2018 at 10:39 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Batis is actually about a 23mm lens

here is a corner of Big Bronco. Again same date diffrence. But its a good idea where we are at

Both at F2. This is a extreme upper left corner of Big Bronco

Sony is First
Batis

Nov 02, 2018 at 10:46 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Sorry the Batis got smoked( look at the wood knot between the lamps) . Its a great lens but it is NOT on a resolution scale and even a LoCa scale better than the Sony

Now would I like them side by side to test this again. You bet, this is not perfect because of the date changes which affects the angle of the sun.

Edited on Nov 02, 2018 at 10:50 AM · View previous versions

Nov 02, 2018 at 10:49 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

The Batis was never famous for high resolution. Its strength is smooth rendering and minimal field curvature which are characteristics shared with the new GM.

Nov 02, 2018 at 10:50 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
The Batis was never famous for high resolution. Its strength is smooth rendering and minimal field curvature which are characteristics shared with the new GM.

Nor do i Bud as i said it maybe the best 1.4 Sony lens we have seen yet. It certainly is sharper at 1.5 than the GM 85 and Sony 50 1.4 which needs F 1.8 to hit its mark. The Sony at 1.4 is just flat out outstanding on center

Nov 02, 2018 at 10:52 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

IsabellaR wrote:
It is not better in every way.
It's only better in some ways, though it's newer and it's more expensive than the sigma and the batis. And it is inferior to the Batis in some points (Review of "aidualk").

You gotta leave the money out of it. Price has no bearing on optical quality per say it is what is what Sony, Zeiss , Canon, Nikon feel is there profit margin. Yes it affects us but its not a comparison in technical terms. Just what us poor souls have to pay and yes sometimes its not fair. I always said the Batis 135 was 300 dollars too much I still paid the 2 grand than they dropped to what I said a year later. Go figure i was right

Nov 02, 2018 at 10:55 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

GMPhotography wrote:
Nor do i Bud as i said it maybe the best 1.4 Sony lens we have seen yet. It certainly is sharper at 1.5 than the GM 85 and Sony 50 1.4 which needs F 1.8 to hit its mark. The Sony at 1.4 is just flat out outstanding on center

It would be interesting to compare the 24 GM vs 25 Batis at infinity for smaller apertures (f/5.6-11) to see which does better in a landscape scenario. (If anyone wants to send me a Batis I will test them side by side)
I may rent one just for that.

Nov 02, 2018 at 10:59 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

I love talking money. Hell I gotta go buy a pool pump for my pool because the damn thing blew up last night. Its winter no one is swimming and i gotta put out 400 bucks to make it look clean. Hell id rather it go green and buy another lens. You know that won't fly with my wife though.

Money is a funny subject. I honestly try to leave it out of the conversation because folks buy according to price and logically thats sound advice but not always the real case. Like the Batis 135 I paid the money and I have zero regrets but I have not forgot about it either.

Nov 02, 2018 at 11:01 AM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Looking forward to coma and vignetting if you can Fred. That resolution looks SWEET for an astro lens to replace my Sanyang 24.

Nov 02, 2018 at 11:03 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
It would be interesting to compare the 24 GM vs 25 Batis at infinity for smaller apertures (f/5.6-11) to see which does better in a landscape scenario. (If anyone wants to send me a Batis I will test them side by side)
I may rent one just for that.

I agree we are not going to know some of this stuff until they are truly side by side. What i posted is certainly a margin for error and Im the first to say it.

Nov 02, 2018 at 11:05 AM
1       2              4              33       34       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4              33       34       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.