Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8              10              21       22       end

Canon r1 official announcement.

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Ok, if you’re simply going to ignore any actual reasoning and ignore the actual words I said while repeating your own incorrect preconceived notions, I’m out.

May 18, 2024 at 04:33 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Jman13 wrote:
The first real MILC was Panasonic’s G1 for Micro 4/3 in 2008. Panasonic and Olympus had the initial head start, and the the NEX joined the party with a larger sensor. Samsung’s NX line joined around the same time, but died shortly after they released the NX1, which is a shame because that camera was fricking awesome for the time.

Samsung had the first BSI sensor way back then, too.

May 18, 2024 at 05:05 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Tony Ross wrote:

Sony's NEX line predated both, and it's the only mount still central to a thriving line of cameras.

I wonder how much Sony regrets keeping that APS-C sized lens mount and its inherent limitations for their full frame cameras?

May 18, 2024 at 05:09 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · Canon r1 official announcement.

molson wrote:
I wonder how much Sony regrets keeping that APS-C sized lens mount and its inherent limitations for their full frame cameras?

They seem to have done Ok. The lens mount size is less important than either Canon or Nikon would have you believe, though there are some small advantages. The short flange distance can negate most of the problems that the smaller mount can do. With that said, it does give Canon and Nikon a little more flexibility in their lens designs.

May 18, 2024 at 05:13 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · Canon r1 official announcement.

This thread has been good for many hearty chuckles!

May 18, 2024 at 05:17 PM
middlerockies
• •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · Canon r1 official announcement.

AmbientMike wrote:
I haven't missed your point at all. You really like arbitrage, but haven't much use for me. To the point you are attacking me very strongly, on his behalf, even though I've been on the forum longer than he has

Theres people on here that have taken photos a lot longer than I have, but I probably got into digital before either if you got into photography

Arbitrage is a Sony fanboy, called the R1 announcement a joke the other day on the Canon board, for one thing, so I countered the A9 III DR no good (for that matter, he
...Show more

For all of your gloating about experience you sure are acting like a child in this forum. I'd have guessed you were a 20-something, honestly.

May 18, 2024 at 05:20 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · Canon r1 official announcement.

middlerockies wrote:
For all of your gloating about experience you sure are acting like a child in this forum. I'd have guessed you were a 20-something, honestly.

Certain posters have a tendency to post irrelevant detritus based on a small, unrelated sliver of personal experience and can't understand why, year after year, they aren't taken seriously in threads, especially those in which they have nothing of value to contribute.

May 18, 2024 at 05:23 PM
middlerockies
• •
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · Canon r1 official announcement.

RoamingScott wrote:
Certain posters have a tendency to post irrelevant detritus based on a small, unrelated sliver of personal experience and can't understand why, year after year, they aren't taken seriously in threads.

I guess I'm relatively new to the site compared to some of you so I lack the history. But it would be very helpful to have a list of these "contributors" to avoid the sales pitches! I suppose it's like the rest of the internet—you've got to wade through a lot of 💩 to get to the good stuff.

May 18, 2024 at 05:33 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · Canon r1 official announcement.

middlerockies wrote:

Forums—fancy Latin name for an electronic bulletin board—are a fading relic of the 1980s and 1990s. Ages ago, the youngins fled to social media to finger their iPhones and post emoji and endless memes. Of course, those that remain here were once in their twenties or thirties, BUT that was during 1980s Unix and 1990s AOL eras! Now OF rule these dusty but hallowed forums of yesteryear. Being here makes us feel like we're twenty-something in 1989.

May 18, 2024 at 06:57 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · Canon r1 official announcement.

middlerockies wrote:
I suppose it's like the rest of the internet—you've got to wade through a lot of 💩.

Like your posts

May 18, 2024 at 07:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · Canon r1 official announcement.

So Canon is going to make an R1?

May 18, 2024 at 07:32 PM
Choderboy
• • •
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · Canon r1 official announcement.

AmbientMike wrote:
Like your posts

Here's one of yours:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1856897/0#16539735
AmbientMike wrote:
Sony has basically no supertele lenses. People gripe about Canon and it's a joke, Canon came out with 400/2.8 on FD in the 80's, Sony in 2018.

Sony has a couple interesting things, vs decades of options from Canon. Canon came out 1st light 600/4 and people have a hard time comprehending the innovation since they offered it in both Ef and Rf. Drives me nuts

Sony has basically no supertele lenses.

Are you going for most ridiculous statement on FM of 2024? Or maybe of all time?

Your point about Canon releasing 400 2.8 in the 80's is a likely runner up.

Innovation offering EF lens with a permanently attached adapter?
Sigma has been doing that a lot longer than Canon.

May 19, 2024 at 04:21 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · Canon r1 official announcement.

AmbientMike wrote:
I haven't missed your point at all. You really like arbitrage, but haven't much use for me. To the point you are attacking me very strongly, on his behalf, even though I've been on the forum longer than he has

Theres people on here that have taken photos a lot longer than I have, but I probably got into digital before either if you got into photography

Arbitrage is a Sony fanboy, called the R1 announcement a joke the other day on the Canon board, for one thing, so I countered the A9 III DR no good (for that matter, he
...Show more

You seem to be confusing me calling the announcement a joke with me calling the camera a joke. I can't make any judgement on the camera because we know almost nothing about it. Once we know the full specs then I'll make a comment specific to the specifications. Once I get to borrow one from CPS, then, and only then, I will comment on the camera. I don't form detailed opinions to compare with other cameras until I actually use the thing. I keep my CPS membership up to date these days specifically to borrow new cameras and all my non-telephoto lenses are still my EF lenses (5 in total).

May 19, 2024 at 07:36 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · Canon r1 official announcement.

As Judge Judy would say: This is all hearsay.

May 19, 2024 at 10:30 AM
Alan Kefauver
• • •
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Jeff Nolten wrote:
So Canon is going to make an R1?

Wah...I want a R2 (Like a R1 but with an APS-C Sensor.)

May 19, 2024 at 11:44 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Alan Kefauver wrote:
Wah...I want a R2 (Like a R1 but with an APS-C Sensor.)

I heard Canon and Nikon are going to join forces and create the R2-D2 robot camera.

May 19, 2024 at 12:35 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Choderboy wrote:
Here's one of yours:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1856897/0#16539735

Sony has basically no supertele lenses.

Are you going for most ridiculous statement on FM of 2024? Or maybe of all time?

Your point about Canon releasing 400 2.8 in the 80's is a likely runner up.

Innovation offering EF lens with a permanently attached adapter?
Sigma has been doing that a lot longer than Canon.

I don't want to wade into an ultimately pointless debate, since it is apparent that no amount of rational argument will help some parties gain a little self-awareness... but Canon did indeed release a 400mmm f/2.8L lens in 1981.

https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/nfd230.html

Of course, using that as an argument against Sony's ability to innovate is silly, as Sony did not become a camera/lens maker until decades later.

May 19, 2024 at 02:19 PM
Maxxus46
• • •
p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Hmnn... Based on Sony full frame lense performance alone, I'd say they have zero regrets. Sony lenses have long been top performers in their respective categories.

molson wrote:

May 19, 2024 at 04:56 PM
Choderboy
• • •
p.9 #19 · p.9 #19 · Canon r1 official announcement.

garyvot wrote:
I don't want to wade into an ultimately pointless debate, since it is apparent that no amount of rational argument will help some parties gain a little self-awareness... but Canon did indeed release a 400mmm f/2.8L lens in 1981.

https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/nfd230.html

Of course, using that as an argument against Sony's ability to innovate is silly, as Sony did not become a camera/lens maker until decades later.

I get it (that FD 400 was released over 40 years ago).
Sony joining the game decades later, as you say, was what seemed ridiculous to me about mention of the 1981 Canon release.
In the 80s when the 400 FD was released, I had Pentax gear. I have had Canon since 2006 and still have 1DXII.
I added a Sony A9 in 2019 and am now mostly Sony.
I see pros and cons of both Sony and Canon.
Lately, I am seeing lot's of pros with Nikon: their 'middle ground' teles, 800 PF, 600 PF, 400 4.5.
I'll criticize any brand and praise any brand too.

The concept of having an attachment to a brand and feeling the need to defend them, let alone defend them with ridiculous arguments is very, very strange IMHO.

May 20, 2024 at 04:50 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.9 #20 · p.9 #20 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Choderboy wrote:
The concept of having an attachment to a brand and feeling the need to defend them, let alone defend them with ridiculous arguments is very, very strange IMHO.

Perhaps. But human beings are tribal. Identifying with a group and defending it from outsiders is a rather common human trait.

Intense brand loyalty is a manifestation of this, I think. Ford versus Chevy, Mac versus PC, Coke versus Pepsi... our culture is rich with this stuff.

(Re. camera brand wars: things were simpler when it was Canon versus Nikon, haha. Having three major players in a given market category is actually rather unusual.)

I suppose it's no different from people being extremely passionate about their football clubs, or whatever. It will look weird to people who are not similarly engaged.

May 20, 2024 at 06:16 AM
1       2       3              8              10              21       22       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.