Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7              9              20       21       end

Canon r1 official announcement.

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Canon r1 official announcement.

AmbientMike wrote:
You just haven't been into photography that long, and don't have the experience. Did you even shoot film? Then you expect to march onto the Canon board as a Sony troll and tell us our cameras aren't any good.

I used to shoot Nikon as my primary system. I counted up all the roughly ~70-210/4 lenses I have used over the years, probably got to double digits

Then some overly egoed relative newbie Sony fanboy/troll (you) comes along telling me I've only shot Canon. Please.....

Mike, come on. You're talking to someone who has been on the forum for 13 years, has posted HUGE amounts of photos using camera bodies that are FAR more up to date than you have used, and you have the audacity to call him an inexperienced newbie? Get a grip.

May 18, 2024 at 12:25 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Jman13 wrote:
Mike, come on. You're talking to someone who has been on the forum for 13 years, has posted HUGE amounts of photos using camera bodies that are FAR more up to date than you have used, and you have the audacity to call him an inexperienced newbie? Get a grip.

I don't really care that much how much stuff he bought (i.e. more up to date.) If you think photography is about buying stuff, you need to get a grip.

And I'd guess he's only been doing this 13 years or so, and I'm not interested in him strutting around telling me my camera isn't any good.

May 18, 2024 at 12:44 PM
big country
• • • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Sorry to disrupt the children from fighting, but one of my contacts at adorama told me the "leaked" spec sheet was a mistake and not the actual spec. Could they have been told wrong and saving grace? sure. Could that spec sheet have been incorrect for the R1 since it was basically just a copy of Canon Rumors.

May 18, 2024 at 01:05 PM
dclark
• • • • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Canon r1 official announcement.

DPReview reports that Adorama issued a statement that the Canon R1 specs were not from Canon.
https://www.dpreview.com/news/0785314321/canon-announces-development-of-eos-r1

May 18, 2024 at 01:45 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Canon r1 official announcement.

AmbientMike wrote:
I don't really care that much how much stuff he bought (i.e. more up to date.) If you think photography is about buying stuff, you need to get a grip.

And I'd guess he's only been doing this 13 years or so, and I'm not interested in him strutting around telling me my camera isn't any good.

You have very much missed my point. Seemingly intentionally.

Also, having looked at every single one of his posts in this thread, there are exactly 0 instances of him saying your camera isn't any good. In fact, in this thread, he doesn't even say a single negative thing about Canon...just that it's sad that the R1 looks like they are targeting the end of this year for public release.

Also, I'm not sure how you can fail to understand that when discussing performance of high-end modern mirrorless cameras, someone who has experience with the vast majority of those high-end mirrorless cameras has significantly more knowledge about the differences between them than someone who has literally never shot with any of them and shoots primarily with a budget camera that came out 8 years ago.

Before you mistake me for me disparaging your camera: I am not. There is nothing wrong with shooting with an older DSLR, and incredible images can be made with that gear. I doubt there are many knowledgeable photographers who would say otherwise. However, this is not a discussion on photographic technique, or skill, or the usability of DSLRs or anything like that. It's simply a discussion about a new body that will be in competition with other bodies that are vastly different in operation than the body that you have recent experience with. It'd be like me judging the capabilities on the latest iPhone, Samsung Galaxy and Google Pixel devices having only recently owned a Blackberry Curve.

Edited on May 18, 2024 at 02:51 PM · View previous versions

May 18, 2024 at 02:21 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Canon r1 official announcement.

What's interesting and unique about Canon is that they still design (and I think fabricate) their own sensors, whereas the rest of the industry has settled around Sony's core IP. This means each new Canon release has a chance of being something completely different than what we're accustomed to and I think that's pretty cool. If the leaked R1 specs are anywhere close to accurate then that will certainly be the case with respect to rolling-shutter CMOS designs.

May 18, 2024 at 02:30 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Canon r1 official announcement.

snapsy wrote:
What's interesting and unique about Canon is that they still design (and I think fabricate) their own sensors, whereas the rest of the industry has settled around Sony's core IP. This means each new Canon release has a chance of being something completely different than what we're accustomed to and I think that's pretty cool. If the leaked R1 specs are anywhere close to accurate then that will certainly be the case with respect to rolling-shutter CMOS designs.

It is definitely cool. Canon has sort of had this rubber band effect in the sensor industry. When DSLRs were first taking off, they took a huge leap when they created the first viable CMOS sensors. Then they were stagnant for a bit and fell way behind in dynamic range, before catching up with their latest sensors. But at the same time, Dual-Pixel AF was a brilliant development, and allowed for extremely good on-sensor autofocus. Sony's done incredible things with their stacked and now global shutter sensors, but Canon could have something great cooking, and I love that it keeps everyone on their toes. It's not good for anyone if we only have one major sensor manufacturer.

May 18, 2024 at 02:39 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Jman13 wrote:
You have very much missed my point. Seemingly intentionally.

Also, having looked at every single one of his posts in this thread, there are exactly 0 instances of him saying your camera isn't any good. In fact, in this thread, he doesn't even say a single negative thing about Canon...just that it's sad that the R1 looks like they are targeting the end of this year for public release.

Also, I'm not sure how you can fail to understand that when discussing performance of high-end modern mirrorless cameras, someone who has experience with the vast majority of those high-end mirrorless
...Show more

I don't think I am missing your point. Arbitrage is a great guy, in your view, in large part because he bought a lot of gear.

And he came down on me really hard, really negative about my camera, as a Sony fanboy, for pointing out something fairly obvious on a Canon vs Sony post. Now he's on the Canon board commenting, expecting to tell me how it is!

At the end of the day, I doubt anyone on this thread has used an R1 and everyone is commenting. And yes his comments have been pretty negative on it, but that's how it goes , the Sony shooters on the Csnon board, even though there's no specs yet, none expected on a development announcement

May 18, 2024 at 03:07 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · Canon r1 official announcement.

AmbientMike wrote:
I don't think I am missing your point. Arbitrage is a great guy, in your view, in large part because he bought a lot of gear.

If this is what you think, then yes, you are severely missing my point.

My point is that you were calling him an inexperienced newbie despite you having significantly less experience with the subject being discussed in this thread.

He's someone who has probably more experience with the top mirrorless cameras from the three top brands than almost anyone else on the forum (I also have quite a lot, but less so on more recent high end Sony bodies, since I left Sony in 2020). And we are in a discussion thread about a new high-end Canon mirrorless camera. In the realm of this particular discussion topic, he has significantly more experience than you do with the gear in question. No, no one here has experience with an R1...but many of us DO have experience with other high-end Canon mirrorless cameras, as well as experience with the competing cameras from other brands, which is relevant to the discussion when a company is releasing a new entry into the market. You do not have this experience. At all. Yet you are throwing around statements calling him an inexperienced newbie.

That's my point.

I make no judgement of him as a person, as I don't know him personally. I also don't know of other beefs you have had with him in other threads. I do have judgement of him as a photographer, as he is very prolific with the sharing of his work, and frankly, he's very, very good.

May 18, 2024 at 03:14 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Jman13 wrote:
If this is what you think, then yes, you are severely missing my point.

My point is that you were calling him an inexperienced newbie despite you having significantly less experience with the subject being discussed in this thread.

He's someone who has probably more experience with the top mirrorless cameras from the three top brands than almost anyone else on the forum (I also have quite a lot, but less so on more recent high end Sony bodies, since I left Sony in 2020). And we are in a discussion thread about a new high-end Canon mirrorless camera. In
...Show more

I haven't missed your point at all. You really like arbitrage, but haven't much use for me. To the point you are attacking me very strongly, on his behalf, even though I've been on the forum longer than he has

Theres people on here that have taken photos a lot longer than I have, but I probably got into digital before either if you got into photography

Arbitrage is a Sony fanboy, called the R1 announcement a joke the other day on the Canon board, for one thing, so I countered the A9 III DR no good (for that matter, he did point out the DR on A9 series isn't there, in general.) But however much you don't like me, he hasn't used the R1, unless hes on the Canon payroll or something, nobody has, the specs not even out yet, touting his experience on the R1 is ridiculous , so quit

May 18, 2024 at 03:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jman13
• • • • • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Ok, if you’re simply going to ignore any actual reasoning and ignore the actual words I said while repeating your own incorrect preconceived notions, I’m out.

May 18, 2024 at 04:33 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Jman13 wrote:
The first real MILC was Panasonic’s G1 for Micro 4/3 in 2008. Panasonic and Olympus had the initial head start, and the the NEX joined the party with a larger sensor. Samsung’s NX line joined around the same time, but died shortly after they released the NX1, which is a shame because that camera was fricking awesome for the time.

Samsung had the first BSI sensor way back then, too.

May 18, 2024 at 05:05 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Tony Ross wrote:

Sony's NEX line predated both, and it's the only mount still central to a thriving line of cameras.

I wonder how much Sony regrets keeping that APS-C sized lens mount and its inherent limitations for their full frame cameras?

May 18, 2024 at 05:09 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · Canon r1 official announcement.

molson wrote:
I wonder how much Sony regrets keeping that APS-C sized lens mount and its inherent limitations for their full frame cameras?

They seem to have done Ok. The lens mount size is less important than either Canon or Nikon would have you believe, though there are some small advantages. The short flange distance can negate most of the problems that the smaller mount can do. With that said, it does give Canon and Nikon a little more flexibility in their lens designs.

May 18, 2024 at 05:13 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · Canon r1 official announcement.

This thread has been good for many hearty chuckles!

May 18, 2024 at 05:17 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · Canon r1 official announcement.

middlerockies wrote:
For all of your gloating about experience you sure are acting like a child in this forum. I'd have guessed you were a 20-something, honestly.

Certain posters have a tendency to post irrelevant detritus based on a small, unrelated sliver of personal experience and can't understand why, year after year, they aren't taken seriously in threads, especially those in which they have nothing of value to contribute.

May 18, 2024 at 05:23 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · Canon r1 official announcement.

middlerockies wrote:
For all of your gloating about experience you sure are acting like a child in this forum. I'd have guessed you were a 20-something, honestly.

Forums—fancy Latin name for an electronic bulletin board—are a fading relic of the 1980s and 1990s. Ages ago, the youngins fled to social media to finger their iPhones and post emoji and endless memes. Of course, those that remain here were once in their twenties or thirties, BUT that was during 1980s Unix and 1990s AOL eras! Now OF rule these dusty but hallowed forums of yesteryear. Being here makes us feel like we're twenty-something in 1989.

May 18, 2024 at 06:57 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · Canon r1 official announcement.

middlerockies wrote:
I suppose it's like the rest of the internet—you've got to wade through a lot of 💩.

Like your posts

May 18, 2024 at 07:18 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · Canon r1 official announcement.

So Canon is going to make an R1?

May 18, 2024 at 07:32 PM
Choderboy
• • •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · Canon r1 official announcement.

AmbientMike wrote:
Like your posts

Here's one of yours:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1856897/0#16539735
AmbientMike wrote:
Sony has basically no supertele lenses. People gripe about Canon and it's a joke, Canon came out with 400/2.8 on FD in the 80's, Sony in 2018.

Sony has a couple interesting things, vs decades of options from Canon. Canon came out 1st light 600/4 and people have a hard time comprehending the innovation since they offered it in both Ef and Rf. Drives me nuts

Sony has basically no supertele lenses.

Are you going for most ridiculous statement on FM of 2024? Or maybe of all time?

Your point about Canon releasing 400 2.8 in the 80's is a likely runner up.

Innovation offering EF lens with a permanently attached adapter?
Sigma has been doing that a lot longer than Canon.

May 19, 2024 at 04:21 AM
1       2       3              7              9              20       21       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.