Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       3              21       22       end
  

Canon r1 official announcement.

  
 
big country
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon r1 official announcement.


Itís announced!

https://www.usa.canon.com/cameras/dev-announce



May 14, 2024 at 11:19 PM
TakesRandomPics
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon r1 official announcement.


Yeah with no details unfortunately. But you can give Canon your information for them to email you when it's available.

EDIT: "Improved Photo and Video Performance*"

* Compared to R3



May 14, 2024 at 11:38 PM
Tony5787
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon r1 official announcement.


Holy hell I donít even care that they gave us literally no info about it, the amount of time Iíve waited to just catch a glimpse of this stupid thing is justification for my excitement lol


May 14, 2024 at 11:50 PM
middlerockies
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon r1 official announcement.


ďSports sports sports.Ē I was under the impression they were going to go with a jack-of-all-trades based on 1) the R3 was the pro sports camera this time around, and 2) both Sony and Nikon have a jack-of-all-trades, high MP, high speed camera as their flagship. So Canon will have two sports cameras as their flagships and nothing to compete with the A1 and Z9 on MP and speed?


May 14, 2024 at 11:58 PM
ardvorak
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon r1 official announcement.


I'm still hoping against hope that it doesn't come in at 30mp. I loved the R3, but for the 24mp.


May 14, 2024 at 11:59 PM
goalerjones
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon r1 official announcement.


12 second video... showing an outlined design, and a press release that uses a lot of adjectives. Wake me when it's in the hands of consumers.


May 15, 2024 at 12:06 AM
middlerockies
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon r1 official announcement.


ardvorak wrote:
I'm still hoping against hope that it doesn't come in at 30mp. I loved the R3, but for the 24mp.


Itís going to be 30MP, which is just wild to me. Canon isnít going to use the Sony sensor and it seems like they canít compete on the sensor tech at this level yet. Was probably the explanation for the R1 delay as the goal post just kept moving on them. No way are they hyping the sports aspects of this as heavily as they are if it wasnít a lower MP camera, IMO.



May 15, 2024 at 12:12 AM
rscheffler
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon r1 official announcement.


It looks nice. This announcement is so they can more openly distribute it to photographers ahead of the Olympics. Whether they can discuss much about the camera might be another matter... for now.

"Aiming for a 2024 release..." haha.

Probably whenever it's officially announced with specs, Sony will roll out the a1 Mark II and steal some thunder.



May 15, 2024 at 12:28 AM
fraibert
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon r1 official announcement.


middlerockies wrote:
ďSports sports sports.Ē I was under the impression they were going to go with a jack-of-all-trades based on 1) the R3 was the pro sports camera this time around, and 2) both Sony and Nikon have a jack-of-all-trades, high MP, high speed camera as their flagship. So Canon will have two sports cameras as their flagships and nothing to compete with the A1 and Z9 on MP and speed?


The description states the body is meant to satisfy the "high requirements of professionals on the frontlines of a wide range of fields including sports, news reporting, and video production" but the rest mostly focuses on sports. So I think this take is quite reasonable--the write up feels like that for a speed-oriented body because I don't think sports or news reporting generally are interested in high MP.

On the other hand, the video production part makes me wonder--if 8K is going to be a thing in the R1, then that implies something like the R5's 45 MP.

Maybe it will do dual modes--a high resolution mode and a fast lower resolution mode? Just thinking outloud.



May 15, 2024 at 12:40 AM
johnvanr
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon r1 official announcement.


I donít think you can draw any conclusions other than it confirming what we already knew, namely that the R1 will come this year.


May 15, 2024 at 12:41 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

randomguy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon r1 official announcement.


Wow, bombshell news after years of waiting. It is being developed! Who could have guessed


May 15, 2024 at 12:42 AM
Gochugogi
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon r1 official announcement.


fraibert wrote:
The description states the body is meant to satisfy the "high requirements of professionals on the frontlines of a wide range of fields including sports, news reporting, and video production" but the rest mostly focuses on sports. So I think this take is quite reasonable--the write up feels like that for a speed-oriented body because I don't think sports or news reporting generally are interested in high MP.

On the other hand, the video production part makes me wonder--if 8K is going to be a thing in the R1, then that implies something like the R5's 45 MP.

Maybe it will
...Show more

I think 8k is 7680 x 4320 pixels so less than 35 MP will cover it.




May 15, 2024 at 12:46 AM
artsupreme
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon r1 official announcement.


I keep asking myself if itís April foolsÖ


May 15, 2024 at 12:47 AM
molson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon r1 official announcement.


I was kind of hoping to see an R5 II as well. Something must be coming, judging by how Nikon and Sony are slashing prices on their competing models now.



May 15, 2024 at 12:56 AM
Stoffer
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon r1 official announcement.


johnvanr wrote:
I donít think you can draw any conclusions other than it confirming what we already knew, namely that the R1 will come this year.


Maybe you canít even draw that conclusion because the ďAiming for a 2024 release..ď implies that the production launch is not set in stone. Could be a full marketing launch in November or December 2024 but no products to buy until the very start of 2025.



May 15, 2024 at 01:22 AM
AmbientMike
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon r1 official announcement.


I'm reading 45mp minimum. If they hope to do a lot better than the R3, and can they really do video to the level described unless they have 8k? That takes ~45mp. (8000x5333)

The mention of NR points to higher mp imo, as well

CR 8 weeks grapevine article said may/June announcement, in Paris at the Olympics, August official announcement, ships mid Q4. So the 1st is correct thus far




May 15, 2024 at 01:27 AM
snapsy
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon r1 official announcement.


The Petapixel guys said the rumor is around 30MP and that Canon has had development issues with the buffer, which implies issues with development of a new DIGIC since that ASIC is responsible for buffer performance. This is consistent with the announcement stating that the R1 will use the existing DIGIC X processor from 5 years ago, but paired with a coprocessor to add functionality. Note that this podcast was recorded before this R1 announcement - the fact they were discussing it means they weren't under NDA, which means they didn't know a development announcement was imminent.

Starts at 10:40




May 15, 2024 at 02:16 AM
Dragonfire
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon r1 official announcement.


Psychic 1 said December 32, 2024 Delivery date


May 15, 2024 at 06:08 AM
BPsmith511
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon r1 official announcement.


johnvanr wrote:
I donít think you can draw any conclusions other than it confirming what we already knew, namely that the R1 will come this year.


"Maybe"



May 15, 2024 at 06:37 AM
BPsmith511
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon r1 official announcement.


snapsy wrote:
The Petapixel guys said the rumor is around 30MP and that Canon has had development issues with the buffer, which implies issues with development of a new DIGIC since that ASIC is responsible for buffer performance. This is consistent with the announcement stating that the R1 will use the existing DIGIC X processor from 5 years ago, but paired with a coprocessor to add functionality. Note that this podcast was recorded before this R1 announcement - the fact they were discussing it means they weren't under NDA, which means they didn't know a development announcement was imminent.

Starts at 10:40



Jaron seems to have really good contacts in the industry he's been keen on insider info on a lot of things.



May 15, 2024 at 06:38 AM
       2       3              21       22       end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       3              21       22       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.