New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4              11       12       end

Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Abuttolph
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

I like that it has the tilting screen as a lack of one has been problematic a few times for me on my SL2. However, it is indeed too bad that it sticks out as much as it does. Definitely detracts from the aesthetic quality of the camera.

The on/off button - hmmm. I like that it is flush with the body, but I just have to wonder how many times it will get turned on by accident in a bag. A switch would be preferable, I think.

The images and videos that came out of the PetaPixel video were really beautiful. The colors, IQ, rendering - everything was remarkable. I can't wait to see more reviews after people get to spend some time with this camera.

Mar 07, 2024 at 01:13 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Fred Miranda wrote:
Starts around here:

https://youtu.be/sEflObry7hU?si=gZcEvi_BsA9Y02VU&t=702

He hopes that a firmware update might solve the issue, but to me, what he describes seems very similar to the SL2 when it comes to tracking. However, it's possible that the negative impact is significantly minimized in the SL3.

Thank you. I finally found the SL3 DFD EVF wobble comment @ about 11:57 minute marker. That's too bad. I know Leica was able to reduce DFD Wobble in AF-C mode on one of the later SL2 firmware updates, but it's still there although not as much and if ignored the end result is not effected ( for stills).

With regards to Panasonic's new Hybrid PDAF technology: PDAF, ODAF & CDAF in the SL3, they still deployed DFD, so maybe that's where we might see the image wobble in the EVF to some extent for AF-C for still photography and potentially visible video backgrounds too.

Adding it to the SL3 not-so-nice-to-have list 🥹

Mar 07, 2024 at 01:25 PM
ZdevilH1
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Fred Miranda wrote:
I appreciate the tilt LCD feature, but I'm not a fan of how it doesn't sit flush with the body when it's not in use. It's just a minor aesthetic detail for me.. Both the Q3 and new SL3 have similar look. Hopefully this won't be the case in a future M12 if Leica decides to add a tilt LCD to it.

If Leica decides to a tilt screen to the next gen of M cameras (M12); there is going to be revolution. At the point, an EVF may be built in. The question is, which side will you be on? :-)

Mar 07, 2024 at 01:38 PM
zeitlos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Will there be a SL3-S anytime soon? What do you think?

Mar 07, 2024 at 01:44 PM
genjy
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

The regular tilt screen is surprising because a good chunk of this camera's audience is probably portrait photographers. The tilt screen is not useful for handheld vertical shooting.. it's better than a fixed screen, but still eh. I guess for landscape and street shooters?

Mar 07, 2024 at 01:45 PM
2613pch

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Im baffled by the lack of improvements to the SL newbie questioning who is this beautiful beast of a camera for?

I like the new ergonomic layout and menu features but one would think oh there must be more Im just not seeing it that way!

Its not a low light king but it is decent, it wouldn't be my choice for studio but yet Leica had a whole studio setup with some U-tubers pointing, directing and shooting a model with no real effort to show tethered connectivity or DR or at least shadow-highlight recovery.

Sports, wildlife, kids or any fast moving photos forget it.

Macro ugh

Street HUM

Landscapes oh YA (but would you rather have X2D or GFX?)

To say I'm disturbed on how the AF in the new SL3 was implemented by Leica is understated. The shutters limitations is not acceptable along with the flash sync.

This is a camera in 2024 that's not ready for prime time and such I will not be buying into it BOO HOO I was so wanting the experience.

To all you U-Tubers unless Leica is paying your expenses and paying you handsomely to participate in the initial launch next time if your going to make a trip to Germany to review or talk about a camera that you get for 4 hours to play with and come up with trying to be nicely correct with you review better stay at home.

In the future wait for Leica to send you a camera for a month then go to Wetzlar!

Mar 07, 2024 at 02:11 PM
saxguy
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Fred Miranda wrote:
Their 75mm and 90mm lenses are also excellent. I haven't had the opportunity to test the new 21mm lens yet, but judging from the quality of their other SL APO lenses, I'm confident I wouldn't be disappointed.

I have the 35, 50 and 75 APO Summicron-SLs - all great lenses. 50 is my main focal length and the 75 is so good I still carry it with me.

I need something on the wide end but I'm not the biggest 28mm fan. Been thinking of the 21 also. Jono Slack did a great review of it.

Mar 07, 2024 at 02:22 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

LBJ2 wrote:
No, the SL3 is still not a light weight camera. This weight will not please some on the forum.
Me OTOH, am glad Leica didn't reduce body size too much as I was worried a smaller camera body might result in some balance issue with the SL APO prime lenses. So far looks like SL3 size/weight might be a good compromise for some.

I happened to be at B&H today, where Leica had set up a table to show off the SL3. Still too heavy and large for me, sad to say.

Edited on Mar 07, 2024 at 07:15 PM · View previous versions

Mar 07, 2024 at 03:29 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Danpbphoto wrote:
I "lust" after a LEICA! B&W or color. This may make me dig into my "cookie jar" and get it. Is there an all around lens someone here might suggest? Someone that has used the lens with another Leica body.
Thanks!
Dan

Like Matt suggested, the SL 35 APO is one of the best lenses I've ever used.

Mar 07, 2024 at 03:58 PM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Kind of sucks no battery charger included

Mar 07, 2024 at 04:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyRus
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

gregfountain wrote:
Like Matt suggested, the SL 35 APO is one of the best lenses I've ever used.

I want to jump in with this system so bad, I just couldn't ever see my self carrying a lens combo that big- The 35 APO m does the trick for now.

The Reddot video on 35's was pretty telling. The 35 APO SL looks incredible.

Would love to have it for use occasionally though.

Mar 07, 2024 at 04:33 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Only because it has to be said: Now waiting for deals to appear on SL2's

Mar 07, 2024 at 04:41 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

RustyRus wrote:
I want to jump in with this system so bad, I just couldn't ever see my self carrying a lens combo that big- The 35 APO m does the trick for now.

The Reddot video on 35's was pretty telling. The 35 APO SL looks incredible.

Would love to have it for use occasionally though.

You don't necessarily need the Leica 35/2 APO M lens for the size advantage.
While not as compact, the Voigt 35/2 APO-Lanthar is a more affordable alternative with comparable or superior image quality. However, despite their compact size, M-lenses lack autofocus, which is a crucial feature of the Leica SL series for tasks where autofocus is beneficial.

I've extensively used the SL2 with the SL 35/2 APO and have become accustomed to its weight. It's all relative since it's a much smaller setup compared to using the Leica SL 28-90 zoom or the much larger and heavier SL 50/1.4 Lux.

Mar 07, 2024 at 05:06 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

That power switch is weird. I really liked the analog switch on the SL2.

As a rule, I will not buy a full-size camera with only a 2-way tilt LCD. I would rather have no tilt than be limited to tilt that only is useful for horizontal shooting.

Regardless, for $7K, Iíd rather get a GFX 100 II.

Mar 07, 2024 at 05:12 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

highdesertmesa wrote:

This likely appeals to many photographers. You're getting a superior EVF, medium format sensor, and 100 megapixels for a similar price. The lenses are also less expensive, but there's a drawback: there is an increase in weight by about 180 grams, which is significant. However, considering what you're getting, the overall system is still relatively lightweight. Also Leica M lenses won't play well on that sensor which is one of the benefits of the SL series.

Mar 07, 2024 at 05:19 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

highdesertmesa wrote:
That power switch is weird. I really liked the analog switch on the SL2.

As a rule, I will not buy a full-size camera with only a 2-way tilt LCD. I would rather have no tilt than be limited to tilt that only is useful for horizontal shooting.

Iíve had a chance to watch a few videos and reactions to the new illuminated power button. Apparently:

1. Provides some level of user feedback as it glows red, green or white depending on activity e.g., glows red while recording
2. The ON illumination turns off when you raise the camera to your eye
3. Many feel not very Leica design like.

Mar 07, 2024 at 05:29 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Fred Miranda wrote:
This likely appeals to many photographers. You're getting a superior EVF, medium format sensor, and 100 megapixels for a similar price. The lenses are also less expensive, but there's a drawback: there is an increase in weight by about 180 grams, which is significant. However, considering what you're getting, the overall system is still relatively lightweight. Also Leica M lenses won't play well on that sensor which is one of the benefits of the SL series.

Good points. M lenses look ridiculous on the GFX anyway, so itís a route that semi-excludes M for me. That said, in 35mm crop mode, the M lens performance isnít much different than it is on other cameras with the thicker sensor stack, and the 9M dot 1.0x magnification EVF has got to be amazing for manual focus in general.

I can see getting another SL2 for M lenses as its price is bound to drop soon.

Mar 07, 2024 at 05:37 PM
asnapper
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Jonathan Slack has had a preproduction camera since October & here is a link to his thoughts on the camera.

https://www.slack.co.uk/articles/the-leica-sl3.html

Mar 07, 2024 at 06:01 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

asnapper wrote:
Jonathan Slack has had a preproduction camera since October & here is a link to his thoughts on the camera.

https://www.slack.co.uk/articles/the-leica-sl3.html

Jonathan's reviews are consistently informative. Thanks for posting the link!

Leica's explanation for not including the Content Credentials chip based on development cycles was perplexing though. This omission is disappointing, particularly given the emphasis they placed on it as a must-have feature for their cameras. It leaves the impression that Leica may not consider this feature important to their customers after all. We can't even expect to get this via firmware since the hardware is not in the camera.

I just realized that the SL3 is actually 8mm thicker than the SL2. It seems like all the discussion about the new camera being smaller has taken a different turn...Another unexpected negative is that according to Jonathan, the shutter is louder compared to the SL2.

After reading the review, I get the feeling that the inclusion of phase detect is the standout improvement over the SL2, although having more resolution and a sensor with lower noise and higher dynamic range is always a plus for this type of camera.

Mar 07, 2024 at 06:28 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

liggy wrote:
I never understood the appeal of the SL cameras.

For the reason stated below!

---------------------------------------------

LBJ2 wrote:
I want to feed my SL APO primes with as many MPs as possible..."Yeah Baby!"

I had a look at DPR's sample gallery, shot on the SL 90 APO. 60MP doesn't appear to even come close to taxing the lens!
If I had the budget, the Summicron-SL primes and some of the zooms (90-280) are why I would get an SL camera.

Mar 07, 2024 at 06:45 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.