New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              11              end

Official: Leica SL3 Released!

flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #1 · p.12 #1 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

stgrove wrote:
Gordon
Interesting studies. I am surprised about your findings with the Leica 100-400 since mine are sharp as heck even @400 and handheld, but SS 1/1000 minimum as that's my personal rule of thumb. If I can go 1/2000 then I will. Even with 50mm up to 90mm 1/500 minimum SS for me.

I know I am no longer steady so I need all the help I can get.

My lens is very sharp as well. At least as good as my Sony 100-400GM. All I'm testing is whether there's any IQ degredation at lower shutter speeds from the impacts of the mechanical shutter. My best current guess is that 1/f is a safe place that the mechanical shutter has no more impact *on a tripod*. I reckon I get lower than that handheld. So, 1/1000 is well into safe territory.

The lens itself is excellent. I did have to exchange my first one as it was off. But the second one is fab. Even with the TC.

Gordon

Apr 14, 2024 at 08:44 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.12 #2 · p.12 #2 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Gordon
I understand your testing and reasons for it. Even with tripod work I tend to use a higher SS than you might since often winds can vibrate the tripod in the desert or beach environment, for example where I often go with tripod.

Even though I use a series 3 RRS carbon fiber tripod, I do not want to try to replicate the exact time of morning where I am walking in the dark for one hour or more or in the afternoon or late day with the same expenditure of time, etc.

Apr 15, 2024 at 08:48 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.12 #3 · p.12 #3 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Fred Miranda wrote:
I appreciate the tilt LCD feature, but I'm not a fan of how it doesn't sit flush with the body when it's not in use. It's just a minor aesthetic detail for me.. Both the Q3 and new SL3 have similar look. Hopefully this won't be the case in a future M12 if Leica decides to add a tilt LCD to it.

A tilt LCD on an M camera would be really nice. I think I'm going to hold out for that.

Apr 15, 2024 at 08:09 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.12 #4 · p.12 #4 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Arka wrote:
A tilt LCD on an M camera would be really nice. I think I'm going to hold out for that.

I'm only holding out for the SL3-S ... I think a tilt LCD on an M body will be a very long wait. That's a feature that gets in line behind those wanting an (1) EVF and (2) IBIS added to the M. Hmmm, let's see M12, M13, M14 ... yeah, about M15 we might see a tilt LCD ... or, not.

Apr 15, 2024 at 09:25 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.12 #5 · p.12 #5 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Rustybug
That must have been a typo-did you not mean M23, M24,M25, or even M26.

Apr 16, 2024 at 09:02 AM
stgrove
• • •
p.12 #6 · p.12 #6 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Guess most are convinced an SL3S will be coming even considering the SL3 low light performance now?

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

flash
• • • • •
p.12 #7 · p.12 #7 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

stgrove wrote:
Guess most are convinced an SL3S will be coming even considering the SL3 low light performance now?

More that I think there's a place for something like an SL3S in Leica's line up. I'm not actually convinced they'll make one.

It'll be a year away. And if they did make one with the A1 sensor it'd have to be thousands more than the SL3 or it'd decimate SL3 sales. And then what would we have to whinge about? That'd be very un-Leica like if we couldn't make some shit up to complain endlessly about.

I'm extremely happy with my SL3's. Like you I'm chasing IQ and the user experience. Things like video are of little concern. I'll just use my Osmo Action. And I'm not finding the shutter sound or shutter shock to be a big issue at all. And you all know I'm looking for it.

Just add more options to the new dial and home screen and give me back my old ISO selection through the click wheel and I'm golden.

Gordon

Apr 16, 2024 at 04:06 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.12 #8 · p.12 #8 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

stgrove wrote:
Rustybug
That must have been a typo-did you not mean M23, M24,M25, or even M26.

ROFLMAO

Apr 16, 2024 at 08:03 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.12 #9 · p.12 #9 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

flash wrote:
It'll be a year away.

Thus, my rationale for getting the SL2-S, now. Lot's of frames before an SL3-S arrives (if)

Apr 16, 2024 at 08:23 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.12 #10 · p.12 #10 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

RustyBug wrote:
Thus, my rationale for getting the SL2-S, now. Lot's of frames before an SL3-S arrives (if)

What lenses do you use with your SL2S? Can't remember if you also have an SL2.

Apr 16, 2024 at 08:53 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.12 #11 · p.12 #11 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

stgrove wrote:
What lenses do you use with your SL2S? Can't remember if you also have an SL2.

I just picked up the SL2-S this weekend. I grabbed a Panny 85/1.8 to go with it, but really plan to use the SL2-S with my M glass. I've got my M246 and M10-R, but I struggle with the RF visually in low light, so I thought I'd see how the SL2-S works for me. It's off to an encouraging start.

35 Cron Asph
40 Cron
75 / 2.4 Elmarit
135/3.4 APO

Q2 currently serves as the 28mm, but I may get something (21 / 24 / 28) for the SL2-S and M's. At which point, the Q2 may find another home.

Apr 17, 2024 at 07:54 AM
stgrove
• • •
p.12 #12 · p.12 #12 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

I bought my SL2S thinking I would get a couple of L mount lenses and mainly use my M lenses. Well I was so taken with the APO primes that I have hardly used my M lenses and continue to get L mount lenses.

My latest test with my M18/3.8 on the SL3 and M11 showed to me that the SL3 handles M lenses very well.

Apr 17, 2024 at 07:22 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.