New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              11       12       end

Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Official: Leica SL3 Released!
The new Leica SL3 mirrorless camera features a 60MP full-frame BSI CMOS sensor with the Maestro IV image processor, ensuring fast focusing and great image quality. It boasts 15 stops of dynamic range and 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization for steady shots.

The camera body enhancements include a 3.2" 2.3m-dot tilting touchscreen LCD for flexible viewing, CFexpress Type B and SD UHS-II slots for versatile file saving, and a lighter weight of 1.7 pounds.

Notably, the SL3 features a hybrid autofocusing system combining Phase Detection AF, Contrast Detection AF, and Object Detection AF for dependable performance in various shooting conditions. These significant upgrades position the SL3 as a leap forward from its predecessors.

The updated body design offers dual card slots for flexible file saving, a USB-C port for fast transferring and tethering, HDMI and audio jacks for advanced recording, durable weather-resistant construction, high-quality video recording capabilities, compatibility with Leica L-mount lenses, fast mechanical shutter speeds, built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for wireless connectivity, a modern user interface with improved legibility, and menu settings tailored for both photography and video, ensuring clear usability.

Pre-order the Leica SL3 at B&H Photo ($6,995.00)

Key Features:
  1. 60MP Full-Frame BSI CMOS Sensor
  2. Maestro IV Image Processor, 8GB Buffer
  3. Hybrid AF System with PDAF & Contrast AF
  4. 5.76m-Dot 0.78x-Mag. EyeRes OLED EVF
  5. 3.2" 2.3m-Dot Tilting Touchscreen LCD
  6. 8K, C8K, 4K, C4K & FHD 10-Bit Recording
  7. ProRes 1080p & Apple MFi Support
  8. ISO 50-100000, Up to 15 fps Shooting
  9. 5-Axis Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization
  10. CFexpress Type B & SD UHS-II Card Slots
  11. Dimensions (W x H x D) 5.96 x 4.25 x 3.3" / 151.45 x 108.05 x 84.6 mm
  12. Weight 1.7 lb / 769.7 g (Body Only)

Mar 07, 2024 at 10:11 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Leica official release page:

https://leica-camera.com/en-US/photography/sl/sl3/

Mar 07, 2024 at 10:20 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

I think they could have fit one more Leica logo on the front.

Mar 07, 2024 at 10:35 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

But can I access TikTok with it?

Mar 07, 2024 at 10:40 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

FYI that really nice camera strap that is available for it works great with the Leica M5.

Mar 07, 2024 at 10:41 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

snapsy wrote:

Besides the oversized red logo, I prefer the Leica cameras without the white paint, like what Leica did for the SL2-S body. Perhaps they'll incorporate this style into the SL3-S, similar to what they did with the SL2 series. One aspect I don't like is the protruding LCD screen. I'd rather it sit flush with the body, like many other camera models. The same applies to the Q3.

The weight savings are appreciated, but the body still isn't light at 760 grams. The main improvement will be in AF.

Mar 07, 2024 at 10:46 AM
RustyRus
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Fred Miranda wrote:
Besides the oversized red logo, I prefer the Leica cameras without the white paint, like what Leica did for the SL2-S body. Perhaps they'll incorporate this style into the SL3-S, similar to what they did with the SL2 series. One aspect I don't like is the protruding LCD screen. I'd rather it sit flush with the body, like many other camera models. The same applies to the Q3.

The weight savings are appreciated, but the body still isn't light at 760 grams. The main improvement will be in AF.

The Leica Logo in white is a bit ridiculous-

Surprised you don't like the LCD though- Is that just aesthetics? In use on the Q3, I have really liked having it be able to flip out and hasn't gotten in the way of daily use.

This looks like a really nice camera though- Would love to try one out.

Mar 07, 2024 at 10:55 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

RustyRus wrote:
The Leica Logo in white is a bit ridiculous-

Surprised you don't like the LCD though- Is that just aesthetics? In use on the Q3, I have really liked having it be able to flip out and hasn't gotten in the way of daily use.

This looks like a really nice camera though- Would love to try one out.

I appreciate the tilt LCD feature, but I'm not a fan of how it doesn't sit flush with the body when it's not in use. It's just a minor aesthetic detail for me.. Both the Q3 and new SL3 have similar look. Hopefully this won't be the case in a future M12 if Leica decides to add a tilt LCD to it.

Mar 07, 2024 at 11:10 AM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

snapsy wrote:

haha. The white on the EVF bump is obnoxious. I think they could drop the big red dot logo now that the camera is smaller, make the white text on the bump smaller, and give a nod to the M4 and M6 days with a little red dot on the lens release button. Just sort of make the whole thing a little less... "HEY IM SHOOTING WITH A LEICA!"

Mar 07, 2024 at 11:17 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Fred Miranda wrote:

They also added a couple of dials. Interesting choice to add one to the viewfinder hump.

Mar 07, 2024 at 11:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Fred Miranda wrote:

One of these days I'm going to build up the courage to do what you did and black-out remove the white paint logo!

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1709141

Mar 07, 2024 at 11:27 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Fred Miranda wrote:

No, the SL3 is still not a light weight camera. This weight will not please some on the forum.
Me OTOH, am glad Leica didn't reduce body size too much as I was worried a smaller camera body might result in some balance issue with the SL APO prime lenses. So far looks like SL3 size/weight might be a good compromise for some.

Mar 07, 2024 at 11:31 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

LBJ2 wrote:
No, the SL3 is still not a light weight camera. This weight will not please some on the forum.
Me OTOH, am glad Leica didn't reduce body size too much as I was worried a smaller camera body might result in some balance issue with the SL APO prime lenses. So far looks like SL3 size/weight might be a good compromise for some.

Are you planning to get the SL3? Even though I found the SL2's autofocus to be very accurate, the SL3's phase detect is set to enhance autofocus tracking speed, hopefully eliminating the jiggery image issue when in tracking mode.

Regarding removing the white paint from the logo, it's easy but takes patience.

Mar 07, 2024 at 11:40 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

He mentions that the image wobbles and has a drop in resolution when AF is in tracking mode.

Mar 07, 2024 at 11:42 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

gregfountain wrote:
They also added a couple of dials. Interesting choice to add one to the viewfinder hump.

According to DPR: The SL3 also has the ability to sync timecode over a flash sync socket on the side of the viewfinder hump.

Regarding black rather than white Leica text on the front, that will be for the SL3-P release. Or maybe an SL3-M monochrom.

Mar 07, 2024 at 11:44 AM
liggy
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

I guess Iíll have to try one just for fun but I never understood the appeal of the SL cameras. The M and Q cameras each offer a unique combination of attributes.

Itís easy to see why youíd choose one. The SL family (at least to me) not so much unless you like a big heavy camera with outsized branding.

On second thought - the Reporter variant is pretty cool

Mar 07, 2024 at 11:52 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Fred Miranda wrote:
Are you planning to get the SL3? Even though I found the SL2's autofocus to be very accurate, the SL3's phase detect is set to enhance autofocus tracking speed, hopefully eliminating the jiggery image issue when in tracking mode.

Regarding removing the white paint from the logo, it's easy but takes patience.

The SL3 will be mine... as I really enjoy this system, and no I would not miss the DFD EVF wobble ! To me the head line feature of the SL3 is the sensor. I want to feed my SL APO primes with as many MPs as possible..."Yeah Baby!"

Mar 07, 2024 at 11:59 AM
Matt Kerby
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Fred Miranda wrote:
I appreciate the tilt LCD feature, but I'm not a fan of how it doesn't sit flush with the body when it's not in use. It's just a minor aesthetic detail for me.. Both the Q3 and new SL3 have similar look. Hopefully this won't be the case in a future M12 if Leica decides to add a tilt LCD to it.

I 100% agree, I mean, German engineering is legendary aren't they "supposed to be" engineered to perfection? On the Q3 it looks like an afterthought, on the SL3 it just makes it look bigger. Why not tuck it in like a Fuji? Interesting they didn't go to a higher res EVF either.

Mar 07, 2024 at 12:00 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

liggy wrote:
I guess Iíll have to try one just for fun but I never understood the appeal of the SL cameras. The M and Q cameras each offer a unique combination of attributes.

Itís easy to see why youíd choose one. The SL family (at least to me) not so much unless you like a big heavy camera with outsized branding.

On second thought - the Reporter variant is pretty cool

I believe the SL line truly shines when paired with their SL APO lenses. It's a distinct combination of autofocus and image quality. I also love the SL 50/1.4 Lux which is not APO but has extremely great axial CA correction for a fast lens.

Mar 07, 2024 at 12:05 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Matt Kerby wrote:
I 100% agree, I mean, German engineering is legendary aren't they "supposed to be" engineered to perfection? On the Q3 it looks like an afterthought, on the SL3 it just makes it look bigger. Why not tuck it in like a Fuji? Interesting they didn't go to a higher res EVF either.

Perhaps German engineering influenced the design to prioritize functionality over aesthetics. It appears their goal was to maintain the overall width of the camera as thin as possible, potentially limiting space inside the body. Also, placing the LCD outside the body could be an intentional decision to aid in heat dissipation.

Mar 07, 2024 at 12:11 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.