New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              14              16       17       18       end

New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

_jim_
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #1 · p.15 #1 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

Also, the block diagram shows that it has more in common with their Biogon-ish lenses (like the 21/4 and 35/2.5) than their Double Gauss/Biotar-ish designs (like the 50/1.5 and 75/1.5/1.9). Probably fair to assume that rear element extends far into the body of the camera and thus close the film plane…which might exacerbate the light fall-off in the corners.

Jun 14, 2024 at 11:52 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #2 · p.15 #2 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

_jim_ wrote:
Also, the block diagram shows that it has more in common with their Biogon-ish lenses (like the 21/4 and 35/2.5) than their Double Gauss/Biotar-ish designs (like the 50/1.5 and 75/1.5/1.9). Probably fair to assume that rear element extends far into the body of the camera and thus close the film plane…which might exacerbate the light fall-off in the corners.

I hope it will render characterfully, but the sample images weren't very helpful, and some were taken with smaller apertures.

Jun 14, 2024 at 11:56 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.15 #3 · p.15 #3 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

Fred Miranda wrote:
Low vignetting does not seem to be a priority for Cosina, which is understandable given the size of this lens. There's zero chance they added vignetting to the sample images on purpose!

I did not see that vignetting with the 50 2.5 Color Skopar - here used on my M3:

Jun 14, 2024 at 12:20 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.15 #4 · p.15 #4 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

Desmolicious wrote:
I did not see that vignetting with the 50 2.5 Color Skopar - here used on my M3:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52615670073_b44f0566f3_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52617621802_dc9de3b6e2_c.jpg

Is that film? Usually I don't get much vignetting when shooting film compared to digital.

Jun 14, 2024 at 12:30 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.15 #5 · p.15 #5 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

Desmolicious wrote:
But from those images it seems crazy high.

It just looks like Leica f/1.4 vignetting. It's a nice look to get on a lens with a smaller maximum aperture for the purpose of subject isolation. The optical vignetting always looks better than when added in post.

Also, simple lightening of the shadows globally in post reduces vignetting by a substantial amount – something I often do for the image overall anyway.

Jun 14, 2024 at 12:44 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.15 #6 · p.15 #6 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

Fred Miranda wrote:
Is that film? Usually I don't get much vignetting when shooting film compared to digital.

Frederick - of course it is film! I thought you knew me by now..

Also I did mention I used my M3.

Jun 14, 2024 at 01:18 PM
raizans

p.15 #7 · p.15 #7 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

Scratching my head over why they put a silver ring on the black lens, especially when they’re making an all silver version as well. Frustrating!

Jun 14, 2024 at 01:24 PM
_jim_
• •
p.15 #8 · p.15 #8 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

Desmolicious wrote:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52615670073_b44f0566f3_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52617621802_dc9de3b6e2_c.jpg

I guess a few thoughts come to mind:

1. The 50/2.5 is a beautiful lens.
2. The design approach of Cosina in the early 2000's was focused on film cameras. The focus now is digital. They seem to have further refined their approach in the last 6-7 years. Compactness and resolution are very important. Corrections for vignetting and CA can be addressed by software. It's entirely possible that the 50/2.5 might vignette less than the new lens, but I'll bet that the 50/2.5 is is sharper and more contrasty.
3. Film shows less vignetting than digital because of physics n stuff (don't ask me, I have a humanities degree).

Jun 14, 2024 at 01:25 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.15 #9 · p.15 #9 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

_jim_ wrote:
I guess a few thoughts come to mind:

3. Film shows less vignetting than digital because of physics n stuff (don't ask me, I have a humanities degree).

Distance of rear element to film plane, micro lenses, angles n stuff..

Jun 14, 2024 at 01:47 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.15 #10 · p.15 #10 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

raizans wrote:
Scratching my head over why they put a silver ring on the black lens, especially when they’re making an all silver version as well. Frustrating!

My thought is that, sure, offer the panda style, but also provide an all-black version as well! It seems Cosina likes to have something 'chrome' on their lenses. Since they make the front filter thread black, the rear must be chrome now!

Jun 14, 2024 at 02:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

oscartb

p.15 #11 · p.15 #11 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

Fred Miranda wrote:
My thought is that, sure, offer the panda style, but also provide an all-black version as well! It seems Cosina likes to have something 'chrome' on their lenses. Since they make the front filter thread black, the rear must be chrome now!

Perhaps they're sick of people 3D printing rings to cover up the front chrome

Jun 14, 2024 at 03:21 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.15 #12 · p.15 #12 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

rsolti13 wrote:
Roughly $400 is better than I was hoping for. Not sure I agree with the silver added to the black version, I’ll definitely be trying out the silver

Yeah, if you're traveling to Japan. I wouldn't count on that price for the US market. Launch price has always been higher than in Japan for whatever reasons. But I'm happy to be wrong.

choijm0715 wrote:
It is unfortunate that the color of the black model was changed. It seems like the unity of color has been lost.

Juha Kannisto wrote:
They mentioned about the color change on the new product introduction video. If I got it right, the motivation behind the change was that the change improved how the black lens looks on silver bodies (the modified design is supposed to look good on both black and silver bodies now) and they also mentioned that it makes the lens look even more compact.

They also talked about how the base of the optical design is Sonnar type but they combined it with certain characteristics from Gauss type into some kind of optimal combination. That was interesting.

Fred Miranda wrote:
Yes, they mention that the silver base on the black version would make the lens appear even more compact when attached to the body. I found the combination of Sonnar and Planar designs without the addition of asphericals very interesting as well. I can't wait to see how it performs in terms of resolution and rendering. The sample images don't reveal much, although the lens seems well-corrected for chromatic aberration, and Cosina mentions it has strong flare resistance.

The samples don't show much in respect to bokeh in the 1.5-3m range which you typically show in your lens tests. But so far what I see I don't really like. If I were to get this lens it would probably be as a compact, stopped down walk around 'snapshot' type of lens, however none of the images really show any 'snap' or 'sparkle' IMO. It could just be the choice of images, subject content, light, etc. The two tree examples and the seaside scene (not the aerial view) show somewhat nervous background quality - double edges and slight swirl. The seaside scene also shows that the corners of an image focused at a farther distance with an out of focus background increase in sharpness compared to the central out of focus background area of the image, likely a consequence of vignetting due to the compact design. The upper left quadrant of the tree over water shows a lot of double edges in the OOF branches. Also signs of color fringing, so expect there to be some amount of LoCA in high contrast wider aperture scenes. So far this lens does not 'feel' like a modern design to my eyes. But maybe also not quite endearing enough, such as a more traditional, more imperfect Sonnar. At least to my eyes.

I agree that the combination of Sonnar and Gauss type designs is interesting and am curious to see more in respect to rendering characteristics.

I'll await testing and real world examples from others and am open to changing my initial opinion.

Edited on Jun 14, 2024 at 11:13 PM · View previous versions

Jun 14, 2024 at 11:06 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.15 #13 · p.15 #13 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

rscheffler wrote:
Yeah, if you're traveling to Japan. I wouldn't count on that price for the US market. Launch price has always been higher than in Japan for whatever reasons. But I'm happy to be wrong.

The samples don't show much in respect to bokeh in the 1.5-3m range which you typically show in your lens tests. But so far what I see I don't really like. If I were to get this lens it would probably be as a compact, stopped down walk around 'snapshot' type of lens, however none of the images really show any 'snap' or 'sparkle' IMO. It
...Show more

I wouldn't draw any conclusions from Cosina image samples because they are often not very useful. In this case, the lighting was flat, and the lens appeared to be stopped down for many shots.

Jun 14, 2024 at 11:13 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.15 #14 · p.15 #14 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

I don't entirely agree. I feel like some of the images were at or close to wide open and even the farther focusing distances provide some clues about performance. In respect to bokeh evaluation at typical portrait distances, the examples are certainly lacking.

Jun 14, 2024 at 11:15 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.15 #15 · p.15 #15 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

rscheffler wrote:
I don't entirely agree. I feel like some of the images were at or close to wide open and even the farther focusing distances provide some clues about performance. In respect to bokeh evaluation at typical portrait distances, the examples are certainly lacking.

What I meant by "stopped down" is that some samples were likely not taken with the aperture fully open. I'm sure Juha will get one soon and share some Tokyo shots for us to analyze! I will also get one for review.

Jun 14, 2024 at 11:26 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.15 #16 · p.15 #16 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

I’m going to hold off getting one until you and Bastian review it.
Then I’ll ask Ron what to do.

Jun 15, 2024 at 10:03 PM
catacore
• •
p.15 #17 · p.15 #17 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

Pricing, in Europe, for the 50/2.2 is 650 EUR

https://www.jogeier.com/voigtlaender-color-skopar-2-2-50mm-vm-chrome-f-leica-m-2110000902964

Jun 16, 2024 at 03:26 PM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.15 #18 · p.15 #18 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

Fred Miranda wrote:
What I meant by "stopped down" is that some samples were likely not taken with the aperture fully open. I'm sure Juha will get one soon and share some Tokyo shots for us to analyze! I will also get one for review.

I'm not planning to buy the 50/2.2 right away at least as I've preordered the 75/1.5 E-mount version that will also come out in July and from the new VM releases I've been more interested in the 50/3.5. I suppose 50/3.5 might get released already in August so I'll wait to see if it gets announced mid-July and how it is priced before making any decisions on the VMs.

Jun 16, 2024 at 08:20 PM
AJohnsonPhoto
• •
p.15 #19 · p.15 #19 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

catacore wrote:
Pricing, in Europe, for the 50/2.2 is 650 EUR

https://www.jogeier.com/voigtlaender-color-skopar-2-2-50mm-vm-chrome-f-leica-m-2110000902964

This includes 20% tax so I’m hoping it’ll be cheaper in the states and elsewhere.

Jun 16, 2024 at 09:31 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.15 #20 · p.15 #20 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

The cheapest M mount Voigtlander lens in the USA is the 40 1.4 - $399.
The Color Skopar 35 2.5 is $430, Heliar 50 3.5 is $530. The Heliar is made from brass.

$450 would be a good price point for the 50 2.2.

Jun 16, 2024 at 11:10 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.