Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5              7              15       16       end

Archive 2016 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

mogud wrote:
You are describing functionality details which have not been mentioned by the rumor sites as far as I know. Could you please elaborate where you read that AF tracking capabilities are improved over the 1Dx or is this your best guess? Not saying this is not the case and we are all expecting this but, if you read this somewhere, please share the source.

Specifically, your statement that the 1Dx2 allows for all AF points active when using a 2x TC at f8 is great news but again, where did you see these details? In addition, the continuos silent shutter
...Show more

Maybe he has just broken an NDA

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/bottom.gif

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:46 PM
mogud
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Maybe he has just broken an NDA

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/bottom.gif

Could be....

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:09 AM
Zorro2016

p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

All I can say is that the information I have given is not from any online source.

I believe things could still change as far as software goes but the physical aspect of this new camera should be more or less firm. The camera does look very much like the 1DX but perhaps with a higher prism head and 2 bigger toggle switches behind (good with gloves).

I am hoping that the final production model will have better low light focusing and better tracking capabilities. This together with better ISO performance (than the 1DX) is what most photographers are looking for in a pro-body.

As I stated earlier, it is a really nice feature to have all the AF points active even with a 2X TC attached. This shows the potential AF capability of the new camera.

Jan 19, 2016 at 07:14 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Zorro2016 wrote:
All I can say is that the information I have given is not from any online source.

I believe things could still change as far as software goes but the physical aspect of this new camera should be more or less firm. The camera does look very much like the 1DX but perhaps with a higher prism head and 2 bigger toggle switches behind (good with gloves).

I am hoping that the final production model will have better low light focusing and better tracking capabilities. This together with better ISO performance (than the 1DX) is what most photographers are looking for in
...Show more

I hope you are right Zorro, better AF capabilities and better high ISO would turn an superb camera into an awesome camera. From the field test I've seen of the D5 in some appalling conditions their new AF and high ISO performance look superb, so Canon hopefully will have the ammo to at least match them.

Jan 19, 2016 at 05:58 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

If all the points actually AF at f/8, I will buy that thing no matter what the cost....somehow I seriously doubt that will happen....

Jan 19, 2016 at 08:09 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Agree the F8 functionality if true on numerous focus points when combined with big white and 2x converters adds a big feather to its cap.
Makes it attractive and the sort of things I want to hear to get pushed over the edge.

Jan 19, 2016 at 08:32 PM
Zorro2016

p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

FYI, there will be 2 CF card slots on the 1DX Mk2. Slot 2 is for the new and faster CFast card while slot 1 is for normal CF card.

However, I believe the raw buffer on the new camera will not be able to match the new Nikon D5. Not unless Canon decides to play catchup in the final production unit. I hope they do.

Jan 20, 2016 at 05:56 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

The D5 has a really good buffer but according to Nikon only reaches that 200 shot number when using the fastest XQD card.
I find the current 1DX buffer to be very good anyways for my shooting. Occasionally I have run into it but not very often.
If the 1DX2 could achieve the same buffer as the 1DX or a little better while using only CF cards and no CFast slot then I'd be happy with that so I could keep using cards that I have. I really don't prefer the split format but I guess it will be less expensive to upgrade only one set of cards vs having 2 CFast slots and having to buy 2 new sets.

Jan 20, 2016 at 12:46 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

arbitrage wrote:
The D5 has a really good buffer but according to Nikon only reaches that 200 shot number when using the fastest XQD card.
I find the current 1DX buffer to be very good anyways for my shooting. Occasionally I have run into it but not very often.
If the 1DX2 could achieve the same buffer as the 1DX or a little better while using only CF cards and no CFast slot then I'd be happy with that so I could keep using cards that I have. I really don't prefer the split format but I guess it will be less expensive to
...Show more

Having two different types of cards is going to be painful when shooting/writing to both cards at the same time (as a backup). It slows down the faster card, same as 5DIII when shooting with a CF and SD card. So I'm really hoping that Canon goes for two CFast cards. It's time already. We won't get anymore upgrades to CF cards. We hit the limit of speeds already. Why cripple the fastest camera on the market? But looking on what they did with a 5Ds and 5DsR it looks like they didn't learn from Nikon's mistakes

I also hope that the shutter/mirror slap will be not as loud as on 1Dx and that we will get a "real" silent continuous mode. On many occasions I had birds jumping up in the air at the first click

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:52 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

kosin wrote:
Why cripple the fastest camera on the market?

On behalf of potential buyers, hopefully not. But it is Canon so you never know.

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:58 AM
Zorro2016

p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

The new camera will have one CFast and one normal CF slot. Take it or leave it

I believe the shutter noise is still quite noticeable. Just slightly different sounding

Jan 23, 2016 at 03:36 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

There is another drawback (slightly obscure) with two different types of cards and writing to both, which is what I do for backup. You will be forced to carry a different card reader in the field just in case the main card craps out. So now a lot of pro-sports shooters get to carry yet MORE stuff. Somehow that does seem like proper progress. Argh

Jan 23, 2016 at 08:02 AM
kosin
• • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

schlotz wrote:
There is another drawback (slightly obscure) with two different types of cards and writing to both, which is what I do for backup. You will be forced to carry a different card reader in the field just in case the main card craps out. So now a lot of pro-sports shooters get to carry yet MORE stuff. Somehow that does seem like proper progress. Argh

I didn't think about this... Argh...

Zorro2016 wrote:
The new camera will have one CFast and one normal CF slot. Take it or leave it

I believe the shutter noise is still quite noticeable. Just slightly different sounding

Thanks a lot for the info! At least I'll be prepared for this

Are there any new features in the camera that were not discussed yet? I assume that the viewfinder overlay will be similar to the 5DsR and 7DII. Any changes to the menu system? More/different settings to fine tune AF perhaps?

Jan 23, 2016 at 08:35 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Speaking of view finders, PLEASE tell me the true RED AF highlight (like in the MkIV) is coming back!!!

Jan 23, 2016 at 08:42 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

schlotz wrote:
Speaking of view finders, PLEASE tell me the true RED AF highlight (like in the MkIV) is coming back!!!

Nikon D5 has RED focus points.

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:23 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

If I were invested in Nikon, then I would be pleased...

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:59 AM
Zorro2016

p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Honesty, I cannot remember anything outstanding regarding the viewfinder other than it look similar to the 7D Mk2 with more AF points. I could be wrong so please don't bash me regarding this. The camera was briefly in my hands so I did not have the time to scrutinize every part of the system. I am not surprised the menu is similar to the 1DX with a few additions. But I did feel that the AF tracking was slightly faster with the 2X TC on a 600mm f4. Please understand that I did not do any side by side comparison with the 1DX so take what I have mentioned here with a pinch of salt.

I believe the camera is more or less in the final stages of production and a public announcement should be anytime soon.

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:32 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Zorro2016 wrote:
Honesty, I cannot remember anything outstanding regarding the viewfinder other than it look similar to the 7D Mk2 with more AF points. I could be wrong so please don't bash me regarding this. The camera was briefly in my hands so I did not have the time to scrutinize every part of the system. I am not surprised the menu is similar to the 1DX with a few additions. But I did feel that the AF tracking was slightly faster with the 2X TC on a 600mm f4. Please understand that I did not do any side by side comparison
...Show more

Zorro, are you saying that the AF points are still black when depressing the shutter button and tracking in servo?

Jan 23, 2016 at 01:36 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Psychic1 wrote:
Zorro, are you saying that the AF points are still black when depressing the shutter button and tracking in servo?

I'd bet a lot of money that they are...... The points have never bothered me though, but I won't get into that discussion again like I did 4 years ago.....

Jan 23, 2016 at 03:22 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Zorro2016 wrote:
Honesty, I cannot remember anything outstanding regarding the viewfinder other than it look similar to the 7D Mk2 with more AF points. I could be wrong so please don't bash me regarding this. The camera was briefly in my hands so I did not have the time to scrutinize every part of the system. I am not surprised the menu is similar to the 1DX with a few additions. But I did feel that the AF tracking was slightly faster with the 2X TC on a 600mm f4. Please understand that I did not do any side by side comparison
...Show more

Zorro2016, Thank you for taking your time to respond! Faster AF, especially with 2x + 600mm combo, is exactly what this upgrade is all about. The rest, is just icing on the cake

arbitrage wrote:
I'd bet a lot of money that they are...... The points have never bothered me though, but I won't get into that discussion again like I did 4 years ago.....

I'm with you 100%

Jan 23, 2016 at 03:57 PM
1       2       3              5              7              15       16       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.