FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3              15       16       end

Archive 2016 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

jjoejr
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

"Pixel wrote"

"a lot of people out there may not have a 1DX and this would be a massive upgrade from anything else they own."

Bingo!

Jan 09, 2016 at 07:17 AM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

The spec list needs to be a lot more impressive than 4 megapixels, otherwise I see no point upgrading from a 1Dx. The anti-flicker from the 7D would be nice(for a certain group), but unless the sensor has improved significantly, and I mean DR, any new specs won't mean much IMO.

Jan 09, 2016 at 07:41 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Iwas joeking wrote:
The spec list needs to be a lot more impressive than 4 megapixels, otherwise I see no point upgrading from a 1Dx. The anti-flicker from the 7D would be nice(for a certain group), but unless the sensor has improved significantly, and I mean DR, any new specs won't mean much IMO.

I haven't come across a lot others touting anti-flicker's ability to successfully deal with cycling lights. Unfortunate, as that would be a very welcomed improvement for sports shooters. Totally agree on the 4 mp (actually would prefer it remain the same) but the sad fact is many would not even sniff at a new product without an increase in mp of some sort. In this case it might have come by default in order to provide 4k video that maybe some will take advantage of. For me, the 4k is just another feature I have to pay for but will not use.

Jan 09, 2016 at 08:08 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Iwas joeking wrote:
but unless the sensor has improved significantly, and I mean DR, any new specs won't mean much IMO.

Probably true for a potential 5DSR2 but if the 1DX2 has better high ISO IQ then people will upgrade even if it has the same low ISO DR. Just not a high enough priority for that body and the people buying it.

Jan 09, 2016 at 08:12 AM
kosin
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Iwas joeking wrote:

What is not mentioned is AF performance. 1Dx II should get at least the same or even better AF sensitivity/acquisition than 7D II. I shot with 1Dx for over 2 years and I was impressed, first time I got a 7DII in my hands, how quickly it acquires focus with 600mm + 1.4x TC compared to 1Dx.

Instead of increasing fps, I would love to see a bigger/deeper buffer and finally an upgrade to CFast cards. This would make this camera future proof. AIServo AF in video would also make me happy, as well as 4K video. Any ISO performance increase is always welcomed. I really do not care about the touch screen. Especially just for browsing the pictures. Big wheel on Canon cameras does really good job scrolling through the photos. I don't need additional greasy fingerprints on my LCD screen. My nose has it covered already

I really love the rumor that the price will be under $6000 but if Canon decided on merging 1Dx with 1Dc I'm worried that the price can be even higher than Nikon D5...

Jan 09, 2016 at 10:21 AM
Nowhere Man
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Pixel Perfect wrote:
You do realise Canon doesn't just try and sell cameras to people that already one, so while this is possibly of no interest to you, a lot of people out there may not have a 1DX and this would be a massive upgrade from anything else they own.

Are you a business major or something? Try to keep up. It pretty obvious that companies must continue to innovate and release new products in order to stay in business. I'm talking about hitting a technological wall sort of like golf has done with its equipment. Most shots these days are for the web. I don't see that trend changing.

"Whew, thank god I had 22fps and ISO 1,000,000,000 or I would have missed that shot."

Technology for photography is reaching crazy heights with DSLRs.

Jan 09, 2016 at 11:08 AM
danski0224
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

So, when will the 1DsIV be announced?

Jan 09, 2016 at 12:39 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

danski0224 wrote:
So, when will the 1DsIV be announced?

Not going to happen, the introduction of the 1DX did away with the 's' by combining them with non-'s' versions. Unfortunate for consumers but most likely very positive to Canon's operating costs.

Jan 09, 2016 at 01:31 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Imagemaster wrote:
The biggest improvement would be a price reduction.

I'm in agreement here. Considering the devalued Yen, Camera and lens prices in North America are way over priced (same for Nikon and Sony).

That's why gray market importers are able to purchase cameras overseas and greatly undersell Canon in North America.

Prices need to drop before I'll buy.

Jan 09, 2016 at 09:27 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

schlotz wrote:
Not going to happen, the introduction of the 1DX did away with the 's' by combining them with non-'s' versions. Unfortunate for consumers but most likely very positive to Canon's operating costs.

I do understand the intent of the 1DX name, and the combination of the former 1DIV and 1DsIII.

Given that Canon has split the 5D series into "general purpose" and "high resolution" (which also includes further segmentation), it must be obvious that there is a market for such a camera- even a limited market.

I suspect that Canon sensor tech wasn't evolved to a point good enough to justify launching a true 1DsIV when the 1DX came out and the current 7DII and 5Ds/r R&D and manufacturing are being partially used as a beta test for an eventual 1DsIV.

At least I hope so.

Jan 10, 2016 at 08:12 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Focus points

Has Canon returned to Red focus points

Has Nikon retained Red focus points

-4EV is pointless with black points.

Any word

Jan 10, 2016 at 08:30 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

I hope they'll return but most likely these specs will remain sort of a mystery until announcement or really close to announcement

Jan 10, 2016 at 08:55 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

danski0224 wrote:
I do understand the intent of the 1DX name, and the combination of the former 1DIV and 1DsIII.

Given that Canon has split the 5D series into "general purpose" and "high resolution" (which also includes further segmentation), it must be obvious that there is a market for such a camera- even a limited market.

I suspect that Canon sensor tech wasn't evolved to a point good enough to justify launching a true 1DsIV when the 1DX came out and the current 7DII and 5Ds/r R&D and manufacturing are being partially used as a beta test for an eventual 1DsIV.

At least I
...Show more

Interesting logic, I see where you are going now. There is a threshold when met (i.e. roi or ros) where adding a model justifies further segmentation, assuming of course the technology exists.
Guess we'll see if that comes about. Hopefully it will

Matt

Jan 10, 2016 at 09:04 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

schlotz wrote:
Interesting logic, I see where you are going now. There is a threshold when met (i.e. roi or ros) where a lower segmentation does justify adding a model, assuming of course the technology exists. Guess we'll see if that comes about. Hopefully it will

Matt

"Interesting"

The 5DS meters exposure only off the center point, it's a joke.

A 50mg pro body is a must.

Jan 10, 2016 at 09:09 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

danski0224 wrote:
At least I hope so.

Canon has been pretty adamant about staying with a unified 1D body and that will be the high FPS one. With the intro of the 5Ds/R that is the 1Ds replacement.

If Nikon release a D5x I could see Canon rethinking it but so far Nikon looks to be concentrating on the D8## line for their high res sensors.

Jan 10, 2016 at 09:14 AM
eyal.ma
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

I'm still waiting for official information.
There are still things I want to see in the 5D body trickle down from the previous 1Dx (like metering outside middle, exposure compensation in auto iso and manual).

Jan 10, 2016 at 09:26 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Psychic1 wrote:
Focus points

Any word

You're the "psychic", you tell us

Jan 10, 2016 at 09:36 AM
danski0224
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

ggreene wrote:
Canon has been pretty adamant about staying with a unified 1D body and that will be the high FPS one. With the intro of the 5Ds/R that is the 1Ds replacement.

I suppose that is likely.

However, the build of the 5D series cameras falls far short of the 1D series cameras.

If Canon is intent on having the 5Ds cameras become the 1DsIII replacement, then Canon needs to give us spot linked metering, at a minimum, in the 5Ds/r line.

And red focus points.

And interchangeable supported focus screens (they forgot one with the 1DX). I could excuse this if we got some sort of EVF overlay with focus peaking capabilities and grid lines.

I personally prefer the form factor of the 1D series cameras over the 5D anyways, nor do I really care about high FPS.

Jan 10, 2016 at 09:43 AM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

danski0224 wrote:

At least I
...Show more

I think we have seen the end of 1-series "S" bodies. I was a big fan of the 1DsIII and would have bought a 1DsIV if they made one. But, for the sort of work I would do with a 1DsIV I have since found the 5DSR is more than adequate, except perhaps for the tiny battery. I don't want a grip on it for landscapes or studio work so I just have more loose spares around. Build quality isn't up to the 1-series but it's darn good. It saves a LOT of space in my pack, weight on my back, and money in my wallet by comparison. If Canon produced a 1DsIV now I would definitely not buy it.

I use the 1DX for wildlife and other high ISO work. For that it's the best camera I have owned. It consistently nails focus and I don't need or even want more than 12 FPS. To entice me to buy a 1DX2 it would take an IQ improvement visible in print to people who are not photographers looking for flaws at such close range they can't see the whole image. I don't see that happening, but I hope it does.

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:00 AM
netexpress
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Psychic1 wrote:
Focus points

Any word

+1

Please!!!

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:40 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.