FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4              15       16       end

Archive 2016 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

adrianb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

alundeb wrote:
Yes, there will be a lot of debate. This modest increase in resolution indicates a separation between high resolution and low resolution bodies now. There will not be one camera that will excel at all parameters at the same time.

I wonder if this upgrade will be tempting for those who already have a 1DX. Increased resolution to about 28 MP seemed to be the single imrovement that was most asked for. Most users were satisfied with the AF performance and frame rate. Video aside, what is in it then?

I have not shot the 1Dx but instead read a lot about it and with Nikon's D5 specs, to say that increased resolution to 28mp seemed to be the "single' improvement that was most asked for ...... I must ask myself what are people using their 1Dx ? as a social status statement? or to actually shoot stuff. Do they all print/ print large?

I'm not the most technical guy but since the 1D series have been keen on speed/accuracy, why put a large mp sensor in that body to cripple it? Since most of them will be used to shoot wildlife/sports, or anyways,stuff which requires supreme AF & etc..

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:44 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

ZachOly wrote:
Honestly, if it ends up being only a 1 stop improvement in ISO, my next camera will most likely be a used 1Dx.

As a wedding photog, I almost never go above 3200. Especially when shooting at 2.8 or faster. I'm totally fine with 3200 on my 5D3, but need another body to replace my aging 5D2 and have always lusted after a bomb-proof full-sized body.

Unless you have some stellar lenses, I'd suggest to get a 6D to pair up with your wonderful 5D3. It's a perfect match...

Why spend all that $$$ on a 1Dx (used)...when you can spend it on better lenses...

There are really rare (if none) occasions at a wedding when a 5D3 & 6D will not suffice to say you need a 1Dx

just my 2c..

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:47 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Nowhere Man wrote:
Let's assume this camera i better, offers better dynamic range, etc.

At what size photograph and on what medium does it become obvious "this was shot with a 1Dx, and this was shot with a 1Dx Mark II" ? Are you really going to be able to do something with this new camera that just wasn't possible with the 1Dx? Improved ISO maybe for low light stuff. Otherwise I can't really think of anything that's going to justify the cost over a 1Dx unless focusing is out of this world blazing fast and huge leap.

Wonder what the 1Dx prices will
...Show more

Very good point...and I can go further and ask the same with 5d3 vs. 1Dx...

Everybody has different needs, but for those who shoot wildlife (for example), true benefits in a 1Dx II would be higher ISO (meaning cleaner images at 3200/6400/12800), faster & more accurate AF and stuff that matters to the type of photography that this body addesses to... and NOT increased resolution (higher mpx)

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:51 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Pixel Perfect wrote:
You do realise Canon doesn't just try and sell cameras to people that already one, so while this is possibly of no interest to you, a lot of people out there may not have a 1DX and this would be a massive upgrade from anything else they own.

If I currently shoot wildlife with a 5D3 and a 400 5.6L explain to me how would a 1Dx costing a couple thousand euro/dollars be a major upgrade for me? Wouldn't I be better off with the 5D3 and a 400 2.8L or 500/600 F4 lens instead? Would I get better results with the 1DX II and 400 5.6L?

I think most of the people will be interested instead to buy a used 1Dx, due to price drop,instead of a brand new 1Dx II

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:55 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Personally I was hoping for more MPs....like 24-28....as long as they could maintain 12FPS. My reasoning is that I do end up cropping a fair amount and that is the reason I've been using the 7D2 a lot more than my 1DX over the past year. Other than getting more pixels on my subject with the 7D2, I prefer everything else about the 1DX, and especially the IQ at higher ISOs. So the higher MPs would have been one of the most important specs to push me to upgrade from my 1DX.

At 22MPs it is still an increase of about 22% so better than nothing. I will need to see what other benefits it has in order to decide if it is worth an upgrade or not.

Jan 10, 2016 at 12:29 PM
adrianb
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

cropping can be overcome by getting longer lenses (so instead of paying for a 1DX II, one can pay for a longer & faster lens). If we're refering to wildlife photography (which I ve seen you practice and master very well)

I'm puzzled why people prefer resolution (higher mp camera) instead of cleaner images at high ISO...

higher res requires faster shutter speed (which is cumbersome in low light)...

Jan 10, 2016 at 12:34 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

adrianb wrote:
cropping can be overcome by getting longer lenses (so instead of paying for a 1DX II, one can pay for a longer & faster lens). If we're refering to wildlife photography (which I ve seen you practice and master very well)

I'm puzzled why people prefer resolution (higher mp camera) instead of cleaner images at high ISO...

higher res requires faster shutter speed (which is cumbersome in low light)...

For me it is wildlife but mostly birds so yes I already have the longest glass available and even on the 7D2 I often use all 1200mm of it (600+2xTC). Of course I have lots of other times where I can shoot my 1DX with only 300mm and fill the frame, all depends what I'm shooting.

I do want cleaner images at high-ISO....wanting 24MPs I'm also wanting it to be the same as 1DX at the higher ISOs. If that isn't possible then I would rather stick with lower MPs as I've had opportunities to shoot with the 1DX where I needed 12800 or more and it managed to get me decent images.

Even with my 7D2 which is as pixel dense as a 50MP full frame, I don't up my SS because of it. So I'm not worried about having to increase my SS for 24 or 28MPs vs the 18MPs on the 1DX.

Jan 10, 2016 at 12:43 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

adrianb wrote:
cropping can be overcome by getting longer lenses (so instead of paying for a 1DX II, one can pay for a longer & faster lens).

Which cost a lot more than a 1DX.

Jan 10, 2016 at 02:01 PM
adrianb
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Imagemaster wrote:
Which cost a lot more than a 1DX.

arbitrage already has the 1Dx (we're talking about 1Dx II or moving onto it)

Jan 10, 2016 at 02:05 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Which will cost a lot more than a 1DX II as well.

He also has the longer lenses. He has one of everything.

Jan 10, 2016 at 02:22 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

chez wrote:
Going forward I think that is the main question that needs to be answered.

Got that right, Chez.

Jan 10, 2016 at 02:28 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Unless Canon surprises us we have more then a month and a half to speculate.

Jan 10, 2016 at 02:32 PM
Tony Ross
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

jjoejr wrote:
January 8th.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/05/eos-1d-x-mark-ii-dynamic-range-cr2/

It would be nice if people quoting rumours sites would say "RUMOR" in the thread title.

Do you understand the difference between rumor and truth?

Jan 10, 2016 at 02:33 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

adrianb wrote:
cropping can be overcome by getting longer lenses (so instead of paying for a 1DX II, one can pay for a longer & faster lens)...

I agree, but the 500 and 600 is a whole lot more than just a couple thousand dollars difference between the 5D3 and a new 1Dx.

Jan 10, 2016 at 08:18 PM
adrianb
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Methodical wrote:
I agree, but the 500 and 600 is a whole lot more than just a couple thousand dollars difference between the 5D3 and a new 1Dx.

500 F4L IS or 600 F4L IS vs 1DX II ? i'm sure the 1dx II will out-price them

Jan 11, 2016 at 02:37 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

adrianb wrote:
500 F4L IS or 600 F4L IS vs 1DX II ? i'm sure the 1dx II will out-price them

Are you sure?

BH Photo prices - 500 II - 8999 USD, 600 II - 11 499 USD.

Expected price for 1Dx II - 6000 - 6499 USD.

Jan 11, 2016 at 05:20 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

I doubt the 1DX2 will push beyond the 500/4 or 600/4. Depending on what it offers it could go to the old 1Ds price of $7999 but that would have to be one hell of an upgrade to justify that price. Nikon has already locked in $6500 so Canon would probably want to be fairly close to the D5 cost.

Jan 11, 2016 at 07:02 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

adrianb wrote:
I have not shot the 1Dx but instead read a lot about it and with Nikon's D5 specs, to say that increased resolution to 28mp seemed to be the "single' improvement that was most asked for ...... I must ask myself what are people using their 1Dx ? as a social status statement? or to actually shoot stuff. Do they all print/ print large?

I'm not the most technical guy but since the 1D series have been keen on speed/accuracy, why put a large mp sensor in that body to cripple it? Since most of them will be used to shoot
...Show more

The 1DX was supposed to merge the high resolution 1Ds line with the high speed 1D line. Because the 1D IV had higher pixel density, the 1DX was a downgrade from the 1D IV in terms of pixel density, and it was from the 1Ds III in terms of resolution. This strategy was controversial.

Pixel density and high resolution is not a negative thing itself, and the potential sacrifice in speed and high ISO read noise can be overcome and balanced with new developments.

Jan 11, 2016 at 07:49 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

alundeb wrote:
The 1DX was supposed to merge the high resolution 1Ds line with the high speed 1D line. Because the 1D IV had higher pixel density, the 1DX was a downgrade from the 1D IV in terms of pixel density, and it was from the 1Ds III in terms of resolution. This strategy was controversial.

In retrospect it looks like the right move though as the market has gone to hi-res sensors in mid tier bodies. Canon simply needs to upgrade the 5Ds line to have some extra 1D features to complete the 1Ds transition.

Jan 11, 2016 at 09:12 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

alundeb wrote:
...Because the 1D IV had higher pixel density, the 1DX was a downgrade from the 1D IV in terms of pixel density, and it was from the 1Ds III in terms of resolution.

Resolution is determined by pixel density. Both the 1DIV (175 ppmm) and 1DsIII (156 ppmm) have higher pixel density than the 1DX (144 ppmm).

I've used all three of these cameras extensively. I sold my 1DsIII to get the 1DX when the X first arrived, because I wanted a full frame, high-fps body to shoot alongside my 1DIV. Now, I use the 1DX more often than the 1DIV, because the 1DX is a better camera from almost every perspective. OTOH, I still use the 1DX and 1DIV together, whenever I'm shooting action or shooting in really bad weather, and the 1DIV is my go-to camera for most focal length-limited situations (e.g. BIF with 1DIV + 4500/4L IS). The 1DIV and 1DsIII are still excellent cameras, but the 1DX is better.

Jan 11, 2016 at 09:24 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.