New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              15              end

Archive 2016 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

AJay
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #1 · p.16 #1 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

I walked away and left the camera run for about 30 minutes. It wasn't until I reviewed the video that I had realized what I had captured. I did of course know about the nest and the kesterals were very skittish so I had to leave the camera unattended.

Once I reviewed the video and saw that I had the bird flying into the nest cavity, I recorded the time and loaded the video into Photoshop. From there, I surveyed each frame until I found the segment with the kestrel in-frame. Each frame was then saved as a jpg image and then recomposed/layered in PS.

Mar 23, 2016 at 09:56 AM
ifxbonz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #2 · p.16 #2 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Thank you for that description.

Andy

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:25 AM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.16 #3 · p.16 #3 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

AJay wrote:
Just to clarify, this nothing unique to the 1DX II.

I understand, thank you for clarifying. However, not owning any other cameras with similar features, plus all its stills qualities, makes this one a bargain .
[Edit: just read the 5D3 manual and guess what... It can shoot 50/60fps 1280 video up to 1/4000s. Full HD 25/30 fps. Didn't know that. So basically the 1Dx2 only adds 4k to that.]

Edited on Mar 23, 2016 at 04:41 PM · View previous versions

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:09 AM
AJay
• •
p.16 #4 · p.16 #4 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

4k however is the equivalent of an 8.3mp image whereas 1080p is only a 2mp image. Big difference in resolution. The 5D Mark III is also known for a rather mundane, highly compressed video quality.

Let's hope Canon has learned their lesson and will produce 4k video that is high quality. I would think motion jpg will bring that to the 1DX Mark II but be prepared for extremely large video files.

Mar 23, 2016 at 02:36 PM
Matt Howell

p.16 #5 · p.16 #5 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

The 1D X Mark II 4K will be great for pulling stills if you can handle the data rates and the limitations/ special considerations.

1. 4K is a crop of the full frame, approximately a 1.4 crop

2. Codec is MJPEG, essentially the same image quality as a JPEG still. All the considerations that apply to camera JPEGs, such as dynamic range, picture style, and sharpening will apply.

3. The 4k resolution is 4096 x 2160, approximately 8.8MP at a 1.9:1 aspect ratio. Not an aspect ratio photographers are used to working with. If you need 3:2, you are going to end up with about 7 megapixels.

4. 4k is available at 24, 25, 30, 50, or 60 frames per second. For 24, 25, or 30 fps, it will need the fastest 1000x CF cards on the market, such as the Lexar 1066x or SanDisk Extreme PRO. For 50 or 60 fps, it will need CFast 2.0, like the Lexar 256GB Professional 3600x ($675)

5. The reason it needs such a fast card to shoot 4K 60p, well, the data rates are enormous. 800 megabits per second or 5.7 GBs per minute.

Mar 25, 2016 at 04:08 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.16 #6 · p.16 #6 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

My main use of the 1DX2 will be full frame stills, but shooting quality 4K at up to 60 FPS, and being able to pull stills from it at a resolution usable for some situations, is a capability I look forward to exploring. Not that many people realize about the crop factor and wider aspect ratio of the 4K, but I expect it to be fine for me, especially for distant wildlife, where the crop will help some. Lets see now, a 600 f/4 and a 2X III extender and a 1.4 crop factor camera comes out to around a 1680mm equivalent. Welcome to the world of serious tripods and heads, and battles with heat shimmer. But hopefully the video autofocus can be made to lock on well and in many cases follow a subject as it moves and the camera pans.

Large amounts of data, especially shooting MJPEG files, will be an issues to plan for. I all ready bought a SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO CFast 2.0 card, to make sure I would have a bit of elbow room for 4K with my 1DX2 arrives. I plan to stay with SanDisk for my CFast 2.0 cards, because of past issues with compatibility of some Lexar CFast cards in some Canon pro video cameras. Lexar CFast 2.0 cards may end up fully functional in the 1DX2, but I will wait to find out. But as of now, Sandisk does not offer a 256GB CFast card, while Lexar does.

Mar 25, 2016 at 04:50 PM
Matt Howell

p.16 #7 · p.16 #7 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Roland, since you understand how it all works you are way ahead of the game. I believe 4K grabs used as stills can be a useful tool in some situations. Some have suggested that stills will just be pulled out of 4k -8k -16k video and still photography as we know it will die, but this will never happen with subjects that move. Video with high shutter speeds and stills of moving things with slow shutter speeds both look awful, you just can't shoot both at the same time. You are either a still photographer or a videographer/cinematographer at any given moment. If you want both you will have to shoot with two cameras or one purpose at a time.

Canon first promoted this idea when the 1DC came out back in 2012. It shoots 4k in a very similar way, (1.3 crop, MJPEG codec) only that the 1DC is limited to 25fps max in 4k mode.

Oh and just to clarify for those still interested, in both the 1DX2 and 1DC, 4k mode is always MJPEG. You don't have the choice of using a more compressed lower bitrate codec like h.264.

Mar 25, 2016 at 08:58 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.16 #8 · p.16 #8 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

AJay wrote:
4k however is the equivalent of an 8.3mp image whereas 1080p is only a 2mp image. Big difference in resolution. The 5D Mark III is also known for a rather mundane, highly compressed video quality.

Let's hope Canon has learned their lesson and will produce 4k video that is high quality. I would think motion jpg will bring that to the 1DX Mark II but be prepared for extremely large video files.

Technically Canon is using true 4K video @ 4096 x 2160, not UHD which is 3840 x 2160, so Canon's 4K frame grabs are 8.8MP vs 8.3MP for UHD.

Mar 26, 2016 at 07:00 AM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.16 #9 · p.16 #9 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Andy Rouse's review of the 1DX II: It seems to have excellent Otter Focus.

Seriously. It does have some nice upgrades but I'll want and see whether they're enough to tempt me..

Db

Mar 26, 2016 at 03:32 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.