p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

January 8th.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/05/eos-1d-x-mark-ii-dynamic-range-cr2/

Jan 08, 2016 at 06:58 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

There will be a lot of debate about the new body, but it'll be a beast in every way just like the current one.

Jan 08, 2016 at 08:17 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Yes, there will be a lot of debate. This modest increase in resolution indicates a separation between high resolution and low resolution bodies now. There will not be one camera that will excel at all parameters at the same time.

I wonder if this upgrade will be tempting for those who already have a 1DX. Increased resolution to about 28 MP seemed to be the single imrovement that was most asked for. Most users were satisfied with the AF performance and frame rate. Video aside, what is in it then?

Jan 08, 2016 at 08:30 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Personally don't need the 4mp bump just so it can slow down my workflow in order to support the 4k video which btw will go unused by me. What will excite me are further improvements in high ISO handling (hopefully by 2 stops) plus AF speed and tracking accuracy. Increases in the amount and coverage area of cross type focal points would be a bonus.

Unfortunately, what started out as a PJ/sports body got transformed some what when Canon dropped carrying the 1D 's' series. Now some of us are left having to support functionality we most likely will not use. Always thought Canon should have consulted with me before making that move .

JMTC

Jan 08, 2016 at 08:41 AM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

I think Canon saw 22MP was a sweet spot after testing mul;tiples resolutions and in a way this could bring the Canon 5DIV to 26/28MP which kinda makes me think the following:

1-Canon Uses the resolution from 5D series to test firmware tweaks and ISO NR processing for the next 1DX camera.
2-5D series will get the first proper processing at the given resolution.

I'm surely wrong but from a practical point of view, this allows firmware solutions to be away from future camera projects and allows better control on "camera leaks/rumors"

I bet the 1DX will be nearly one stop better at high ISO in RAW and 1.5 steps better in Jpeg.

1DXII spec list:

22MP
Dual Digic 7
AF with more than 100 points and dual pixel focusing system in sensor for video and macro geeks, all crossed sensors and 15 dual cross AF points in the midframe.
New Metering system way improved from previous one using its own digic 6 processor
4K video at 60FPS, 1080p at 240FPS and 120FPS
Better DR at high ISO but not a big change at low ISO, (maybe half stop to 1 stop at best?)
ISO native range 100-102400 Extendable to whatever you want to guess.
14FPS moving mirror and 20FPS with mirror locked up
2MP 3.5" touch screen
100% Viewfinder with 0.80 magnification
Flash sync up to 1/500
WIFI
GPS
CFast cards and CF/sd compatibility
Anti flickering
total shutter

impossible? well, yeah, possible

Jan 08, 2016 at 08:52 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

schlotz wrote:

Unfortunately, what started out as a PJ/sports body got transformed some what when Canon dropped carrying the 1D 's' series. Now some of us are left having to support functionality we most likely will not use.

I agree. A merging of the 1DC with the 1DX at a higher price range does nothing for me. If the rumors of $5999 are true though then at least we don't have to pay a huge premium for unwanted features. Given what Nikon just released with the D5 the 1DX is still looking pretty solid. Already at 12FPS, already have great ergonomics, already have great build, really just need to continue to up the high ISO IQ and even better AF tracking ability.

Better flash sync speed would be nice but Canon has already said that will be difficult with the FF mirror.

A lighter body maybe but I hope not smaller as I like the large surface area of the grip.

Jan 08, 2016 at 10:08 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Link says "no longer available "

Jan 08, 2016 at 10:17 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Psychic1 wrote:
Link says "no longer available "

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-1d-x-mark-ii-to-be-22mp-cr3/

Jan 08, 2016 at 10:48 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Would like to see DAC on sensor transition for Canon.

-Mark

Jan 08, 2016 at 10:58 AM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

schlotz wrote:
Now some of us are left having to support functionality we most likely will not use. Always thought Canon should have consulted with me before making that move .

That has been the case for most Canon landscape style photographers for a long time ... you can get a 'pro' Canon camera with bigger sensor if you accept a heavy body that does high frame rate and can go to war, but don't ask for lower weight, tilt screen, high DR at low ISO etc. etc. Oh yes, there is the 6D with its compromised AF and many other limitations ...

Don't need FF but want serious AF performance and MFA? Basically same story ...

Jan 08, 2016 at 11:10 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

The biggest improvement would be a price reduction.

Jan 08, 2016 at 01:41 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Honestly, if it ends up being only a 1 stop improvement in ISO, my next camera will most likely be a used 1Dx.

As a wedding photog, I almost never go above 3200. Especially when shooting at 2.8 or faster. I'm totally fine with 3200 on my 5D3, but need another body to replace my aging 5D2 and have always lusted after a bomb-proof full-sized body.

Jan 08, 2016 at 02:21 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Even with a significant US price reduction the Canadian price will still be a ridiculous increase 😩

Imagemaster wrote:

Jan 08, 2016 at 02:31 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

I have to say that the more recent specs have been underwhelming and I'm leaning away from a purchase but hopefully Canon will surprise us with something special.

Jan 08, 2016 at 02:33 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

arbitrage wrote:
I have to say that the more recent specs have been underwhelming and I'm leaning away from a purchase but hopefully Canon will surprise us with something special.

Why? I think 4 mpix increase, while retaining the fps is quite nice and I think it will be about 1 stop better at higher iso's. We can also bet they will include antiflicker and some other features that might be useful. Any AF update will put the DxII visibly ahead of Nikon D5 (the way I see it, 153 points are a marketing bluff and Nikon just matched the 1Dx AF, 4 years later).

Jan 08, 2016 at 03:00 PM
Nowhere Man
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Let's assume this camera i better, offers better dynamic range, etc.

At what size photograph and on what medium does it become obvious "this was shot with a 1Dx, and this was shot with a 1Dx Mark II" ? Are you really going to be able to do something with this new camera that just wasn't possible with the 1Dx? Improved ISO maybe for low light stuff. Otherwise I can't really think of anything that's going to justify the cost over a 1Dx unless focusing is out of this world blazing fast and huge leap.

Wonder what the 1Dx prices will fall to. Stil, I'm excited to see what Canon has come up with.

Jan 08, 2016 at 07:18 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Nowhere Man wrote:

At what size photograph and on what medium does it become obvious "this was shot with a 1Dx, and this was shot with a 1Dx Mark II" ? Are you really going to be able to do something with this new camera that just wasn't possible with the 1Dx? Improved ISO maybe for low light stuff. Otherwise I can't really think of anything that's going to justify the cost over a 1Dx unless focusing is out of this world blazing fast and huge leap.

Wonder what the 1Dx prices will
...Show more

Going forward I think that is the main question that needs to be answered.

Jan 08, 2016 at 07:26 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

I just can't figure out how Canon keeps getting money out of my wallet!

Jan 08, 2016 at 10:01 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Imagemaster wrote:

By at least 1 stop

Jan 09, 2016 at 04:46 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1DX II- 22mp Just Posted

Nowhere Man wrote:

Wonder what the 1Dx prices will
...Show more

You do realise Canon doesn't just try and sell cameras to people that already one, so while this is possibly of no interest to you, a lot of people out there may not have a 1DX and this would be a massive upgrade from anything else they own.

Jan 09, 2016 at 04:49 AM
       2       3              15       16       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              15       16       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.