Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

dylanstraub

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

I have a business page on Facebook but I'm only posting low res watermarked images there. I'm worried about image theft but I really don't like to represent my business with low res crap. So will I do better with a site or should I just accept the fact that there's not much I can do to protect myself from theft? Are there strategic benefits to having a presence on both fbook and a site dedicated to better quality work? I appreciate any feedback you can give me. Thanks.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:40 PM
miccullen
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

Have your own site, use FB to drive people there. The last thing you want to do is tie yourself to FB (ie put your digital presence entirely in the hands of others, especially FB).

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:57 PM
myam203
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

^Agreed. Don't worry about people stealing though, I think that's kind of silly. I see watermarks more as free advertising than theft protection. If someone wants your shots, they'll get them, but until you photograph Obama or something, don't let that keep you up at night.

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:04 AM
dylanstraub

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

Cool. Thanks to both of you for the insight. Does anyone have recommendations for hosting companies?

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:58 AM
myam203
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

I'm sure there are plenty of good ones, but I use HostGator. I bought a site template from intothedarkroom.com and they recommended them, so I researched them a bit and they had a good reputation. No complaints here!

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:09 AM
duparis00

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

Have both, they are symbiotic. Your official domain projects a professional presence, or at least one of someone who takes that extra step.

Your facebook page is a fantastic marketing tool. Upload new content to engage and increase your awareness. If you've done a job upload those photos and tag people involved, that will end up on their news feed and their friends will get the notification.

You have to be tactful with it though there are some people that get plain annoying with tagging, and irrelevant updates, the internet generation is very adept at tuning out junk.

Most of all upload stuff you're proud of, you're not there to compete or compare, but you are there to make a statement that you exist.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:46 PM
duparis00

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

FTI I've been using IPOWER to host various sites for almost 6 years now. Pretty good customer service, excellent rates and even better plans, unlimited everything for a few bucks a month. The catch is it's not on their fastest servers and you'll be fine growing into that package, you'll know when it's getting slow.

I made the mistake of going to another company advertised heavily in magazines, well turns out they HAVE to advertise heavily because they have poor retention rates. Customers leave for faulty sometimes intentionally wrong invoicing, zero customer service, and I had to file a complaint with BB before they responded and cleared things up. I won't say who but they advertise everywhere and complaints aren't hard to find when it's a consistent issue.

But I can at least vouch for ipower I currently have 6 domains and 2 active sites with them.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:50 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

I fully agree with others who recommend having your own site. Here is an interesting take on that:

http://www.copyblogger.com/facebook-sharecropping/

Basically, with Facebook you're planting your crops on someone else's property. Essentially, you've lost operational control of the content you've put on Facebook. Yes, technically you still own it, but if Facebook decides to dump it or do anything else with it, you can't control that...nor can you even move that Facebook-unique content elsewhere.

But if you have your own site, even if you host it somewhere, it's still your content to back up and move elsewhere whenever you want.

If Facebook decides to make some change that throws your marketing direction into the toilet, you still have another web marketing tool to rely on until you figure out how to contend with Facebook's latest zigzag.

And of course, you can do nearly whatever you want with your own site.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

I guess I'm not following your concern about image theft of low-res images from FB, yet you want to have your own site to post higher-res images? And you're not worried about THOSE being lifted? Bottom line is, regardless of whether it's on Facebook, your own site, or anywhere on the internet--high or low res--if it's out there it can be lifted. The ONLY way to avoid it is to not post anything. That doesn't seem like a good option for a photographer, but it would seem as though you're going to have to resolve your issues with that.

I don't see this as an "either/or" situation. One needs to find a way to make multiple forms of social media and the internet work for their business (along with traditional media and business marketing techniques). There isn't a right or wrong way, but the ones who sit by and do nothing are going to be left behind. Quickly.

For me, I use my personal FB page and my photography FB page as just two of many ways to drive people to my images on Photoshelter. I like that Photoshelter gives me a place to display and sell images without having to be a webmaster and know a lot about building and maintaining a web site. I prefer to be a photographer, not a webmaster!

Good luck!!

Feb 24, 2013 at 05:38 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

It's so easy to make a decent page these days that there's really no reason not to. I host in Hostgator. I installed Wordpress onto that and then put a template from graphpaperpress.com on top of that. All of it was really easy to do. You can check it out on my www button

brad

Feb 24, 2013 at 07:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mdude85
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

RDKirk wrote:
Basically, with Facebook you're planting your crops on someone else's property. Essentially, you've lost operational control of the content you've put on Facebook. Yes, technically you still own it, but if Facebook decides to dump it or do anything else with it, you can't control that...nor can you even move that Facebook-unique content elsewhere.

It's not really so much loss of operational control as sharing control with a third party. You still have control over how you use your own photos and you can move content that you create anywhere you want from Facebook to any other site or from any other site to Facebook at will.

Feb 25, 2013 at 07:18 PM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

Build a site on worrdpress. Host with bluehost and get a theme from themeforest.com

Mar 28, 2013 at 07:10 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

I've been rather anti-FB to this point, but a few good points have been made here regarding FB as a marketing tool, rather than a primary display/gallery.

My .02

As to theft ... it is always a potential. The difference @ FB is the TOA that says you are giving them permission to use it, or for them to extend that usage to whomever they want, and that even if you remove content, if someone else has your content in FB, it is still viable for them to use / disseminate. In that regard, your low res, watermarked approach may make the images unlikely for others to desire to use those exact images, yet be representative of what they can find on your own site.

Your own site still has the potential issues for theft, but there you aren't granting permission in the TOA @ FB. Understanding the perils of the TOA with FB (or other social media) and safeguarding yourself from the exploitation it offers, FB has an ever increasing universal acceptance ... that likely shouldn't be ignored (ostrich buried head syndrome).

I was discussing FB with another business owner yesterday. For her, she was a strong advocate of FB ... so I'll likely tap into her mindset a bit more, but the take away was the strong distinction she made @ marketing tool, not place of business. From that, I'm beginning to reconsider my "dinosaur approach" at 100% avoiding FB due to the virtually unbridled TOA, and recognize the viable strategies of others (see above) at harnessing FB as a marketing tool.

I'm beginning to think of FB as a billboard on the busiest street in town. It may not be where you want to setup shop, but the value of the traffic passing by has merit. Imo, definitely get your own website ... and strategically augment with FB for marketing, rather than rely on FB as your primary place of business. I'll probably be pulling my dinosaurus ostrichus branius out of terra firma in the not too distant future ... hopefully before I become extinct.

Mar 28, 2013 at 02:31 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

mdude85 wrote:
It's not really so much loss of operational control as sharing control with a third party. You still have control over how you use your own photos and you can move content that you create anywhere you want from Facebook to any other site or from any other site to Facebook at will.

The unique client-contact content--the most valuable aspect of Facebook presence--cannot be moved. If you had it on you own blog, however, that could be moved.

Mar 30, 2013 at 06:20 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

RDKirk wrote:
The unique client-contact content--the most valuable aspect of Facebook presence--cannot be moved. If you had it on you own blog, however, that could be moved.

Yup, if you post an image of Suzy on FB and it goes elsewhere in FB ... even after you remove the image of Suzy, FB can still do whatever they want (or give it to whoever they want) with the image of Suzy because it still exists in FB ... and you've agreed in the TOA that you're okay with this.

Is that something that your clients really want for the images you've taken for them? Would you?

Mar 30, 2013 at 02:19 PM
mdude85
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

RustyBug wrote:
Yup, if you post an image of Suzy on FB and it goes elsewhere in FB ... even after you remove the image of Suzy, FB can still do whatever they want (or give it to whoever they want) with the image of Suzy because it still exists in FB ... and you've agreed in the TOA that you're okay with this.

Is that something that your clients really want for the images you've taken for them? Would you?

Not only is this also applicable to every site on the Internet, but the way content is shared on Facebook is actually safer than the way it is shared on the Internet as a whole because Facebook sharing usually enables the author to exercise full control over the content. Once content is removed from Facebook it is usually removed from all the feeds and posts on which it is shared -- the same cannot be said for most sites on the Internet (the 750 photos and pieces of content you've shared on FredMiranda.com is probably a lot safer being shared on Facebook instead).

Also, the content shared via Facebook is not really valuable to anyone who works for Facebook. In my opinion, it is important to know how and why the system works before jumping into a discussion of it.

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:09 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

mdude85 wrote:
Once content is removed from Facebook it is usually removed from all the feeds and posts on which it is shared

https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms
For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

Just something I think should not be overlooked is that as long it exists SOMEWHERE in FB, FB retains a "Carte Blanche" license per your agreement. Thus, be cognizant of the content you put in FB.

I realize that my dinosaurus ostrichus brainus is somewhat in play, here ... but I simply am reading what the TOA states, and interpreting it as this: If it exists anywhere in FB, and you didn't get it 100% deleted in your account and everyone else account that it may have viral spread to (by hook or crook), then FB retains such license and is not responsible for ensuring the 100% removal, you are.

It would seem that as long as it is anywhere in FB, they retain "Carte Blance" (which is most likely just CYA for FB from that which they can't control) ... so be wary of what you put in FB, because while it might be mostly CYA for them, it is NOT necessarily CYA for you ... i.e. you agreed to it.

It is the "I agreed to it" part that I perceive as potentially problematic IF something goes awry down the road. Imagine if some kid's picture winds up where it shouldn't be ... and when it comes down to how it got there, it falls in your lap because, you ... agreed ... that FB had "Carte Blance" (including transferable) IP usage rights.

Marketing tool ... I need to get in the game. Content ... Caveat Emptor.

Edited on Apr 02, 2013 at 02:47 PM · View previous versions

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:18 PM
mdude85
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

RustyBug wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms

Just something I think should not be overlooked is that as long it exists SOMEWHERE in FB, FB retains a "Carte Blanche" license per your agreement. Thus, be cognizant of what you put in FB.

I realize that my dinosaurus ostrichus brainus is somewhat in play, here ... but I simply am reading what the TOA states, and interpreting it as this: If it exists anywhere in FB, and you didn't get it 100% deleted in your account and everyone else account that it may have viral spread to (by hook or crook), then FB retains such license and is not
...Show more

Facebook is never "100% responsible" for ensuring the removal of user-owned content from its site. Neither is Zenfolio or any other photo sharing service. Typically, content which is shared via Facebook may persist for a period of time as the content may be cached or stored to be available as backups or for other reasons. It may also persist if users have downloaded the content and then uploaded it again using their own accounts or if the content is being shared from another site or service.

I think the interesting and important point to keep in mind is that as an entity, Facebook is probably the safest place to put your content if you are going to put it online at all. You have much less freedom of control over your content hosted on a regular website or most other sharing services.

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:46 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

mdude85 wrote:

It may also persist if users have downloaded the content and then uploaded it again using their own accounts or if the content is being shared from another site or service.

+1 ... thus you've essentially agreed to grant FB perpetual license as it has the potential to always exist somewhere in FB (iaw with you uploading the content to FB per TOA). If it came into FB from other sources (i.e. not you uploading it to FB in your account initially), that is a different matter which you did NOT agree to.

I think the interesting and important point to keep in mind is that as an entity, Facebook is probably the safest place to put your content if you are going to put it online at all.
How do you figure that ... or do you mean to suggest it is the safest social media site compared to Twitter or Instagram, etc.?

You have much less freedom of control over your content hosted on a regular website or most other sharing services.

The question wasn't about FB vs. other sharing services ... the OP was about FB vs. your own site. I simply don't see how the TOA on FB can render you "safer" when you are signing "Carte Blance". Nor do I understand how having your own site would give you "much less freedom of control over your content" than FB.

+1 @ visibility is likely greater on FB (i.e. marketing tool), but I'm still not seeing the "safer" part given their TOA. Is FB the social media of choice for marketing ... maybe. But, I still see potential peril in the TOA if one isn't at least cognizant of it, or with caution thrown to the wind. I'm not saying FB should be avoided at all costs, just be judicious with your content (sensitive genre's especially) given their TOA. In a litigious society, I don't see FB's perpetual "Carte Blance" TOA being your friend ... in the marketplace, their volume/traffic is.

Edited on Apr 02, 2013 at 03:31 PM · View previous versions

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:56 PM
mdude85
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

RustyBug wrote:
The question wasn't about FB vs. other sharing services ... the OP was about FB vs. your own site. I simply don't see how the TOA on FB can render you "safer" when you are signing "Carte Blance". Nor do I understand how having your own site would give you "much less freedom of control over your content" than FB.

+1 @ visibility is likely greater on FB (i.e. marketing tool), but I'm still not seeing the "safer" part given their TOA.

Well, there are a a number of reasons, among them including....

- Regular web hosting companies have much less sway over how content is shared and distributed based on their lack of a single, centralized and highly intelligent sharing system owned by Facebook

- The Facebook sharing system tends to promote organic distribution from one single source instead of a more antiquated and tedious system of downloading content from a conventional website and uploading it somewhere else, thus making the content shared by Facebook much easier to track, follow and ultimately control

- Regular web hosting companies often have much more obfuscated terms of service than Facebook; many have no easily accessible terms of service whatsoever

- There are usually fewer "eyes" on regular hosting companies dissecting their behaviors to keep them "on their toes"; smaller hosting companies have almost no oversight at all

- Unless your content goes truly viral such that it is downloaded and reuploaded multiple times (which is rather uncommon given that about 1 billion pieces of content are shared daily and only a small handful reach a large audience), the Facebook analytics allow you to view who is sharing your content and how many people are viewing it in a way that few (if not zero) hosting companies can

Edited on Apr 02, 2013 at 03:36 PM · View previous versions

Apr 02, 2013 at 03:31 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password