Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #11458618 « Stick with Facebook or create my own site? »

RustyBug
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

mdude85 wrote: Once content is removed from Facebook it is usually removed from all the feeds and posts on which it is shared

https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms
For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

Just something I think should not be overlooked is that as long it exists SOMEWHERE in FB, FB retains a "Carte Blanche" license per your agreement. Thus, be cognizant of what you put in FB.

I realize that my dinosaurus ostrichus brainus is somewhat in play, here ... but I simply am reading what the TOA states, and interpreting it as this: If it exists anywhere in FB, and you didn't get it 100% deleted in your account and everyone else account that it may have viral spread to (by hook or crook), then FB retains such license and is not responsible for ensuring the 100% removal, you are.

It would seem that as long as it is anywhere in FB, they retain "Carte Blance" (which is most likely just CYA for FB from that which they can't control) ... so be wary of what you put in FB, because while it might be mostly CYA for them, it is NOT necessarily CYA for you ... i.e. you agreed to it.

It is the "I agreed to it" part that I perceive as potentially problematic IF something goes awry down the road. Imagine if some kid's picture winds up where it shouldn't be ... and when it comes down to how it got there, it falls in your lap because, you ... agreed ... that FB had "Carte Blance" (including transferable) IP usage rights.

Marketing tool ... I need to get in the game. Content ... Caveat Emptor.

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:18 PM

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #11458618 « Stick with Facebook or create my own site? »