fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              6       7       8       end
  

I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release

  
 
jaybr
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


"The market will determine if the price is ridiculous".
Agreed, let's see if the RX10V will be a top seller without heavy discounting.
I doubt it 😏

J



Jul 12, 2026 at 10:11 AM
jwpstl
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


The IV was selling for $2000 used so I think the V will do just fine.


Jul 12, 2026 at 10:14 AM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


Malka_1 wrote:
In regards to the original question - I was that user of the camera 18 months ago. I knew very little about photography but was getting frustrated with my iPhone consistently outperforming my super-zoom point and shoot (so why did I shlep it on all the hikes??), and was looking for an upgrade. In retrospective, it was part operator error, but the other part was the same size sensor and sub-par optics against idiot-proof post-processing of the phone.

With a bit of research, RX10 IV was the logical next step. An interchangeable lens camera was too much of a leap for
...Show more →

I thnk that it a good description of the role this sort of camera plays for many developing photographers.

- - -

lsquare wrote:
It's called inflation.


Golly. Thanks. Never heard of it. Perhaps you can explain…

- - -

Some other guy helpfully enlightens us that the market will determine if the price is too high.

Well, golly. Good to know. I guess that means that no one can have a point of view on the price until the market “tells us?” AKA: “Shut up and get off my lawn!” ;-)

- - -

Several things can be true, regardless of how contradictory they might seem to partisans:

1. The price may “seem” to high too a number of folks.

2. The camera may or may not sell well at that price. We’ll see.

3. Cameras like this one have a place and are popular among and useful to certain categories of buyers.

Edited on Jul 12, 2026 at 03:29 PM · View previous versions



Jul 12, 2026 at 10:22 AM
InFocus2014
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #4 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


Fourteen years ago, I bought the newly released RX100 with the 1" sensor. When I received it, it seemed like a great addition to my kit, with the pocket ability - a camera I could always have with me. I sold it several months later.

That 1" sensor was horribly noisy in low-light and the dynamic range of the sensor was so low, I often had to shoot exposure bracketed shots to process as HDR to obtain reasonable results. That was way too arduous of a process for me. Smartphones, with their tiny sensor have a similar DR challenge, but their computational processing automatically incorporates HDR and multiple images to overcome noise.

IMHO, the primary Achilles Heal of the new superzoom is the dynamic range problem. Fortunately, there will likely be a lot of folks that will be completely happy with it... but not picky folks like myself. I could, however, see me getting one for my technically challenged, and far less demanding, wife.









Photon To Photo's Graph on Dynamic Range




Jul 12, 2026 at 10:53 AM
mogul
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #5 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


When you are nearing 80 years old, hiking with a big lens, and the camera limits how far you can hike, the RX10 series is a Godsend. Just as I trade off carrying the 600 f4 and its superb clarity with carrying a lighter zoom because it allows me to be more mobile. It is nice to have lots of options for camera gear. We don't all need to shoot with 100 MP medium format gear.


Jul 12, 2026 at 11:08 AM
InFocus2014
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #6 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


mogul wrote:
When you are nearing 80 years old, hiking with a big lens, and the camera limits how far you can hike, the RX10 series is a Godsend. Just as I trade off carrying the 600 f4 and its superb clarity with carrying a lighter zoom because it allows me to be more mobile. It is nice to have lots of options for camera gear. We don't all need to shoot with 100 MP medium format gear.


I'm 79 (closing-in on 80) and I hear ya!! I sold my 200-600mm and shoot with the 300mm f2.8 with converters, mainly to lighten the load by a few hundred grams. It wasn't that long ago when those grams would not have mattered.

If, in the future, if I need to lighten further, I'll probably go with the Micro 4/3's route.



Jul 12, 2026 at 11:19 AM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #7 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


gdanmitchell wrote:
Several things can be true, regardless of how contradictory they might seem to partisans:

1. The price may “seem” to high to a number of folks.

2. The camera may or may not sell well at that price. We’ll see.

3. Cameras like this one have a place and are popular among and useful to certain categories of buyers.


Wow, isn't it great to have "Mr. Know-It-All" enlighten is with what has already been explained.



Jul 12, 2026 at 11:40 AM
nandadevieast
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #8 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


With that sensor speed, bracketed shots are very viable in most situations. In fact with all sorts of processing options available today, and media being digital display for most, this camera makes lot of sense, For me, my full frame gear stays home almost always when I travel, for the last few years I have not been photographing much and this may help.

I am not at all worried about IQ penalty, I have shot with 1" before. For me the choice is between not shooting and shooting some.

InFocus2014 wrote:
Fourteen years ago, I bought the newly released RX100 with the 1" sensor. When I received it, it seemed like a great addition to my kit, with the pocket ability - a camera I could always have with me. I sold it several months later.

That 1" sensor was horribly noisy in low-light and the dynamic range of the sensor was so low, I often had to shoot exposure bracketed shots to process as HDR to obtain reasonable results. That was way too arduous of a process for me. Smartphones, with their tiny sensor have a similar DR challenge, but their
...Show more →



Jul 12, 2026 at 11:55 AM
traveler
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #9 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


gdanmitchell wrote:


I thnk that it a good description of the role this sort of camera plays for many developing photographers.

- - -

Golly. Thanks. Never heard of it. Perhaps you can explain…

- - -

Some other guy helpfully enlightens us that the market will determine if the price is too high.

Well, golly. Good to know. I guess that means that no one can have a point of view on the price until the market “tells us?” AKA: “Shut up and get off my lawn!” ;-)

- - -

Several things can be true, regardless of how contradictory they might seem to partisans:

1. The price
...Show more →

2. The camera may or may not sell well at that price. We’ll see.


So far from what I was told speaking to a B&H rep they have over 400 pre sold so far and rising daily. Not too bad I'd say for popularity before it hits the ground



Jul 12, 2026 at 12:59 PM
traveler
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #10 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


Like I've said, I had a RX10MkIV for several years and took a TON of pics with it all over a number of large National Parks and around Northern Utah when I lived there. I can't say the difference between Z9, RX5MkII and Sony A6700 shots taken since blow away what I got with that RX10MkIV. I've printed typically at 13x19 or just view on my high rez 39" calibrated screen. They ALL look wonderfully sharp, detailed and color accurate. I find it almost amusing how the so called ex purts on Youtube and in some forums shout so loud how amazing their FF and large format camera results are so dang superior. I can guarantee you otherwise in the "Real World" when a competently shot image on ANY of these cameras are viewed on screen let alone printed below 22x17. Take into account ALL so called photographers and what their usage is of a give file and you'll find there is nearly NO argument between them. These days pretty much ALL available cameras generate a wonderful image and in the hands of a competent photographer will generate a fine image to begin with. Sadly when the emotion of a human gets involved things get all screwed up


Jul 12, 2026 at 01:06 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Ltgk20
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #11 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


To me I think there are a couple of things to consider with respect to the price and value.
First, if a person wants full frame image quality, then this isn't the camera for them, full stop. The same is true of APS-C image quality. No camera this size with this zoom range will provide much better image quality with currently implemented technology (certainly fully implemented phone technology with this lens could, but it doesn't appear that any current camera manufacturer is willing to go down this path). Additionally, to cover from 24-600 equivalent on a full frame or APS-C camera would require a high resolution sensor (which exists) and a superzoom lens starting at 24mm equivalent. Based on some quick research, something like the Fujifilm X-T5 + Tamron 18-300mm (APS-C Setup) will get there and keep a similar number of pixels per duck, but I'm not sure the 18-300 lens is as sharp as the 24-600.

Next is the question of is any non-interchangeable lens camera with specifications something like this worth $1700 (the launch price of the RX10iv back in 2017). If it's not, then there's no way an updated version released 9 years later will be worth $2300. For me, I made the decision many years ago that $1042 was a reasonable value for the RX10iv and I bought it. I've used it a bit and my wife has used it quite a bit more. We'll see what I get for it after it's evaluated, but it's looking like $1600 to $1800. My value decision isn't is the RX10v worth $2300, it's is it worth $600 or so. To this, my evaluation is a resounding yes for the following reasons (in no particular order):
- The AF. The RX10iv AF performance is like the A7iii. This is to say no real time tracking and very rudimentary eye AF for humans and animals. The jump in AF processing from the A7iii/A7Riii/RX10iv to that of the A7Rv/A1ii is very significant. Real time tracking is possibly my favorite Sony AF feature, and subject tracking with the AI chip is also very helpful.
- The Controls. The RX10iv rear control dial is low and difficult to access and it has no joystick. The RX10v controls very closely mirror current Sony bodies. This means I can seamlessly move between the A1ii and RX10v. It also means I can set the RX10v up for my wife to match my camera so I can help her leverage it to its full capabilities.
- The response speed. Many may not remember that the responsiveness of the gen 3 bodies (including the A9 and A9ii) was slower. Changes to the rear or front dial weren't immediate, which slowed things down in the field a touch. Additionally, if the buffer filled, the camera was mostly useless until it cleared. Sony resolved these issues with the 4th Gen bodies.
- The viewfinder. On the RX10iv is quite small. The resolution doesn't bother me so much, but its size does. The RX10v introduces a larger EVF with greater resolution which will make it more enjoyable to shoot with.

It's not a camera for everyone, but for those who value what it offers, the feature additions from the iv to the v are significant (again, roughly equivalent to moving from the A7iii to the A7v (as the A7iv didn't have the AI processor), or from the A7Riii to the A7Rv.



Jul 12, 2026 at 01:09 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #12 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


Imagemaster wrote:
"Mr. Know-It-All"


I don’t suppose you have any mirrors in your house?



Jul 12, 2026 at 03:30 PM
tuomkok
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #13 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


InFocus2014 wrote:
Fourteen years ago, I bought the newly released RX100 with the 1" sensor. When I received it, it seemed like a great addition to my kit, with the pocket ability - a camera I could always have with me. I sold it several months later.

That 1" sensor was horribly noisy in low-light and the dynamic range of the sensor was so low, I often had to shoot exposure bracketed shots to process as HDR to obtain reasonable results. That was way too arduous of a process for me. Smartphones, with their tiny sensor have a similar DR challenge, but their
...Show more →

I do not believe that the real RX10V market segment cares about the dynamic range. And if they care, it is because RX10V is so much better than any other superzoom.

A camera that is 24-600mm eqv. with reasonably small size, good image quality and capable auto focus is very compelling for many. It's quite possible that the RX10V is Sony's most superior camera (in its class).



Jul 12, 2026 at 03:46 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #14 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


gdanmitchell wrote:
I don’t suppose you have any mirrors in your house?


Yes, but unlike yours they are all flat, not concave.



Jul 12, 2026 at 10:02 PM
jaybr
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #15 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


"The IV was selling for $2000 used so I think the V will do just fine"
.
Agreed, the used RX10 V "will do just fine" like the RX10 IV, as long as Sony don't update it for over eight years and limit it's supply 😉

J



Jul 12, 2026 at 10:27 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #16 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


For those who are still incapable of figuring out why Sony brought this camera out:

?si=PX3Bfw2mKGzN3sSD

The large market of people that will buy this camera don't give a damn about the FF Sony cameras and the expensive lenses that other people want.



Jul 26, 2026 at 01:23 PM
snapsy
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #17 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


I'm surprised Sony didn't come out with this sooner considering the revival of interest in compacts over the past year or so, including the IV on the used market after it was discontinued. Sony seems to have gotten pretty conservative in their capital investment after they established their foothold in the overall market. Since this new release leverages much of their existing IP, it seems like a prudent way to take advantage of demand without committing too much in case the demand isn't as deep as Sony hopes.


Jul 26, 2026 at 02:08 PM
stuuke
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #18 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


I wish Sony would include built-in flashes on these and their compact cameras.


Jul 26, 2026 at 02:21 PM
EB-1
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #19 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


It's not compact. The flash would have to sit well above the camera not to be blocked.






EBH



Jul 26, 2026 at 05:07 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #20 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


snapsy wrote:
I'm surprised Sony didn't come out with this sooner considering the revival of interest in compacts over the past year or so, including the IV on the used market after it was discontinued. Sony seems to have gotten pretty conservative in their capital investment after they established their foothold in the overall market. Since this new release leverages much of their existing IP, it seems like a prudent way to take advantage of demand without committing too much in case the demand isn't as deep as Sony hopes.


How would they have released this with A7RVI tech earlier than the A7RVI?



Jul 26, 2026 at 05:11 PM
1       2       3       4              6       7       8       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              6       7       8       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account