fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4       …       7       8       end
  

I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release

  
 
billsnature
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


RoamingScott wrote:
It's a camera for people that don't post here.

People that want a one-and-done purchase, don't want to faff with removable lenses, and want a LOT of reach in one package. It has a lot of quality of life updates to keep the body and physical interfaces modern. Mostly granddads that post their mediocre bird photos on Facebook because they like going outside more than they like developing their photography skills, and a lot of dads from the Far East, the guys that hit the human tripod pose in front of the Eiffel Tower who want a one and done
...Show more →

You are correct!!! It's not for the people post here. It is for the spouses of people who post here.

It is the camera I will buy for my wife having learned that she will SOMETIMES carry this, but she will never carry the APS C or 4/3rds I have bought for here in the past.



Jul 10, 2026 at 11:05 AM
Craig Gillette
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


Choderboy wrote:
Such a simple equation.
Used RX10IV prices have been high.
So Sony, who has more than a passing interest in making profit, re releases the camera with a few updates and an up price.
Money for (not much more than) nothing.



Agree. While maybe not one of the "cool kids," the strong used market, the utility, etc., I was kind of surprised Sony dropped it as well as wondering why it was taking so long to get a "new" one, too.



Jul 10, 2026 at 11:21 AM
lightskyland
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


"The Mavic 4 has a Quad Bayer 100MP sensor."

It's a 100MP sensor that has the CFA applied in a "quad Bayer" pattern (ie: each color filter is measured by 4 imaging pixels).

Which is less than ideal for resolving color, but still is dramatically higher resolution than a 25MP Bayer sensor.



Jul 10, 2026 at 11:26 AM
Jeff Kott
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


My main camera is an A7CR which I use with a lot of great lenses, so my main questions (and I’m sure the question on a lot of our minds) is whether the IQ of this camera will be acceptable. But, this sure looks like a fun camera to try out. I think I’ll get one, play with it for a couple months and if I’m not happy with the results just sell it for a few hundred $ loss.


Jul 10, 2026 at 11:32 AM
traveler
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


RoamingScott wrote:
It's a camera for people that don't post here.

People that want a one-and-done purchase, don't want to faff with removable lenses, and want a LOT of reach in one package. It has a lot of quality of life updates to keep the body and physical interfaces modern. Mostly granddads that post their mediocre bird photos on Facebook because they like going outside more than they like developing their photography skills, and a lot of dads from the Far East, the guys that hit the human tripod pose in front of the Eiffel Tower who want a one and done
...Show more →

Before I went on my march into FF cameras (had several with top glass now over the last 8 years) I used a RX10MkIV a LOT. I was going all over various State parks like in southern Utah and Yellowstone. The images that generated were highly detailed, noise free and color rich and accurate contrary to your rather snide remarks. I'm willing to say what was not was slanted by a fervent love and admiration of the top tech available. That lens on that RX10 is dang sharp one end to the other. In good light, it can generate a image (for those that have a clue how to use a camera with controls) that on a 38" 4k screen will most cases look NO different than most FF cameras even of today. So I don't know what you're looking at but your rather prejudiced viewpoint is a bit on the strong side if I do say so. Is it the equal of my R5MkII......of course not. But for a heck of a lot of applications (especially travel) it can sure make things a LOT more enjoyable. So calm your attitude down just a bit and not try to shoehorn it's use by seniors trying to shoot birds or soccer moms etc. Steve Perry a very respected birder had near nothing but praise for its uncanny ability to nail focus and overall detail rendered.



Jul 10, 2026 at 11:58 AM
Lindrelt
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


When traveling or on a photo trip I carry various kits - APS-c or FF to shoot as appropriate. For general travel my wife shoots with an RX100vi and if wildlife are expected an RX10 IV. But the RX10 V may not be on an upgrade path due to a HUGE oversight that no reviewer I have watched yet caught. The threaded shutter release support is GONE!!

The two most useful non-theatrical reviews for the V have been Steve Perry and Mark Galer. Peace.



Jul 10, 2026 at 12:29 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


There are only a bazillion available Bluetooth shutter release tools, not the end of the world.


Jul 10, 2026 at 12:36 PM
umut_h_toprak
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #8 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


RX10, P9** and P1*** all pack very compactly even while not being pocketable. One can take this around everywhere, everyday. You would not get funny looks, questions and be able to snap something interesting if it comes up. All this is relevant for people who normally use serious birding equipment. The point about people who accompany you is another angle altogether.

I would like to have something like this at some point but not this particular release.



Jul 10, 2026 at 12:40 PM
Lindrelt
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


RoamingScott wrote:
There are only a bazillion available Bluetooth shutter release tools, not the end of the world.


Uh... that was satire...



Jul 10, 2026 at 12:49 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #10 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


I never know with you people!

Lindrelt wrote:
Uh... that was satire...




Jul 10, 2026 at 12:56 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

deepDEEPpurple
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #11 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


Nikon is rumoured to re-release their fumbled 1inch system.

I'm sure many int his thread will change tune and "understand" it then.



Jul 10, 2026 at 02:41 PM
Oswald74
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #12 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


The RX10V has been released to get rid of all those FZ100 batteries, because NP-SA100 is the new standard battery!

MfG L.E.



Jul 10, 2026 at 02:59 PM
lsquare
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #13 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release




Jeff Kott wrote:
My main camera is an A7CR which I use with a lot of great lenses, so my main questions (and I’m sure the question on a lot of our minds) is whether the IQ of this camera will be acceptable. But, this sure looks like a fun camera to try out. I think I’ll get one, play with it for a couple months and if I’m not happy with the results just sell it for a few hundred $ loss.


Of course, the IQ is more than acceptable. You can search up the images yourself, as Sony is reusing an earlier 1" sensor. If people are okay with iPhone photos, why would they be disappointed with the RX10? The problem with FF is that it's too big to bring on vacation. The body clearly isn't the issue as Sony has done a fantastic job miniaturizing components, but lenses are a different matter. I only wish Sony added ISO51,200 or ISO102,400.



Jul 10, 2026 at 07:44 PM
lsquare
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release




traveler wrote:
Before I went on my march into FF cameras (had several with top glass now over the last 8 years) I used a RX10MkIV a LOT. I was going all over various State parks like in southern Utah and Yellowstone. The images that generated were highly detailed, noise free and color rich and accurate contrary to your rather snide remarks. I'm willing to say what was not was slanted by a fervent love and admiration of the top tech available. That lens on that RX10 is dang sharp one end to the other. In good light, it can generate a
...Show more →

100%. I really wish Sony would have updated the sensor. Not that 20MP is a problem in 2026, but Sony should either increase the ISO range or find a way to incorporate the 50MP 1" sensors from smartphones into this. I really do hope that we'll see a RX10 VI in the future.



Jul 10, 2026 at 07:47 PM
lsquare
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #15 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release




Lindrelt wrote:
When traveling or on a photo trip I carry various kits - APS-c or FF to shoot as appropriate. For general travel my wife shoots with an RX100vi and if wildlife are expected an RX10 IV. But the RX10 V may not be on an upgrade path due to a HUGE oversight that no reviewer I have watched yet caught. The threaded shutter release support is GONE!!

The two most useful non-theatrical reviews for the V have been Steve Perry and Mark Galer. Peace.


Are they video reviews?

I'm a spec guy as much as anyone here, but FF is too big for vacation. APS-C is my preferred format at the moment since I feel M4/3 has fallen behind. I really wish Sony or someone would design a new system around a 1" sensor. Nikon tried and failed more than a decade ago.



Jul 10, 2026 at 07:49 PM
lsquare
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #16 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release




deepDEEPpurple wrote:
Nikon is rumoured to re-release their fumbled 1inch system.

I'm sure many int his thread will change tune and "understand" it then.


Yeah, I saw that. Nikon cancelled those cameras and never released them. I really wish they would give it a try now. I would absolutely buy them!

I don't know if it's possible, but someone should use the 50MP 1" smartphone sensor in a camera!



Jul 10, 2026 at 07:51 PM
Jeff Kott
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #17 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


lsquare wrote:
Of course, the IQ is more than acceptable.


Of course, “acceptable” for who and for what? I do feel that my RX100vii photos let me down for a lot of uses (for many uses they were fine) and it’s the same sensor.




Jul 11, 2026 at 12:23 AM
duncangr
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #18 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


Knut. wrote:
Maybe you haven‘t understood the concept of the Nikon P950—and the P1100?
The RX 10 V is the up market answer to these cameras.


like the A1ii is the up market answer to the Z8/Z9



Jul 11, 2026 at 01:11 AM
lsquare
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #19 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release




Jeff Kott wrote:
Of course, “acceptable” for who and for what? I do feel that my RX100vii photos let me down for a lot of uses (for many uses they were fine) and it’s the same sensor.



As far as I can tell, it hasn't been confirmed if it's using the RX100 VII's sensor or the RX10 IV's sensor. They're both different.

Definitely user error. I think this sensor has been reviewed to death since its introduction more than a decade ago. You can Google up sample images, and I think they can speak for themselves.



Jul 11, 2026 at 04:31 AM
jaybr
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #20 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


$3500 Australian for a minor updated 1" sensor bridge camera ? ? ?
"Tell em they're dreaming" (line from the great Australian movie The Castle)😉

J



Jul 11, 2026 at 05:24 AM
1       2              4       …       7       8       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4       …       7       8       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account