fredmiranda.com
Login

  

  Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #17070528 « I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release »

  

gdanmitchell
Offline
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


Malka_1 wrote:
In regards to the original question - I was that user of the camera 18 months ago. I knew very little about photography but was getting frustrated with my iPhone consistently outperforming my super-zoom point and shoot (so why did I shlep it on all the hikes??), and was looking for an upgrade. In retrospective, it was part operator error, but the other part was the same size sensor and sub-par optics against idiot-proof post-processing of the phone.

With a bit of research, RX10 IV was the logical next step. An interchangeable lens camera was too much of a leap for someone who did not know what aperture was. It was a solid basic photography tool in and of itself, plus the perfect instrument for running up the many learning curves of serious photography without the additional complexity of lens options.

I did beat my iPhone, esp. now that post-processing is rewriting reality more and more with each update.

As an aside, I tried Lumix DC-FZ1000M2, the cheaper Panasonic equivalent, early on too, and it just didn't measure up.

Within a year I pushed out to the limits of RX10 IV - single lens and the 1" sensor size. Software was getting dated but wasn't the main factor. My choices for my current camera and set of lenses were much more educated.

I can see it being a great all-rounder for those who don't need or want to push the limits, the camera being, as they call it, the "minivan" of the cameras.

Below is one of my last pictures with RX10 IV. It's as good as it got but a discerning eye would notice it's a bit soft.


I thnk that it a good description of the role this sort of camera plays for many developing photographers.

- - -

lsquare wrote:
It's called inflation.


Golly. Thanks. Never heard of it. Perhaps you can explain…

- - -

Some other guy helpfully enlightens us that the market will determine if the price is too high.

Well, golly. Good to know. I guess that means that no one can have a point of view on the price until the market “tells us?” AKA: “Shut up and get off my lawn!” ;-)

- - -

Several things can be true, regardless of how contradictory they might seem to partisans:

1. The price may “seem” to high to a number of folks.

2. The camera may or may not sell well at that price. We’ll see.

3. Cameras like this one have a place and are popular among and useful to certain categories of buyers.



Jul 12, 2026 at 10:22 AM





  Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #17070528 « I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release »