fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5       …       7       8       end
  

I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release

  
 
Imagemaster
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


Jeff Kott wrote:
My main camera is an A7CR which I use with a lot of great lenses, so my main questions (and I’m sure the question on a lot of our minds) is whether the IQ of this camera will be acceptable.


Acceptable to whom? I see images from bridge cameras and M4/3 cameras posted here that look more acceptable than many posted from FF cameras.




Jul 11, 2026 at 08:54 AM
traveler
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


Imagemaster wrote:
Acceptable to whom? I see images from bridge cameras and M4/3 cameras posted here that look more acceptable than many posted from FF cameras.



I'm sorry to say but more often than not, talent will trump the level of performance gear involved.



Jul 11, 2026 at 09:25 AM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


I am a bit surprised to see a 1” sensor camera at this price point when something like it could probalby come with a APS-C sensor at about the same high cost.

OK, it would have to be a bit bigger and it might not get quite the same narrow angle of view, but still…

That being said (and the huge number of cell phone photographers aside) I do see people using cameras like this when I travel. While it wouldn’t be my choice, I think that buyers feel that they are getting good quality for their intended use (likely personal sharing) along with some features that they don’t get on their phones.

Edited on Jul 11, 2026 at 02:41 PM · View previous versions



Jul 11, 2026 at 10:13 AM
Jeff Kott
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #4 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


lsquare wrote:

Definitely user error. I think this sensor has been reviewed to death since its introduction more than a decade ago.


There’s no question that if you’re used to using a FF sensor with good glass, the 1 inch sensor is a step down and you might be disappointed with the results depending on what you’re trying to do and I resent your comment on user error to my comment on the 1” sensor not being enough for all of my uses. I don’t understand how you can say that when so many respected reviewers have pointed out exactly that. Here’s a couple examples.


As Jason Vong says in his review: “ the RX10 V is a great choice for three large groups of people: People who want a super-versatile all-in-one camera but don’t necessarily care about the best possible image quality….”

Peta Pixel says: The RX10V “….can do landscapes, portraits, wildlife, and travel. It can’t do any of them at an extremely high level….”

And goes on to say “ If what you want instead is really great image quality, features like Pre-Capture, and Sony’s best autofocus system, and you’re willing to pay a bit more and swap lenses to get it, then looking elsewhere makes sense.”







Jul 11, 2026 at 10:22 AM
snegron7
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #5 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


No one mentions the "king" of all bridge cameras; the Panasonic FZ50. I still have mine. I rarely use it, but it had its place in my personal history of digital photography. I purchased it back in the day as a travel camera. Other than a few trips to the zoo and some theme parks, I used it for a stop motion animation project.

As for this updated Sony release, I think it's too expensive to attract the target demographic they are after.



Jul 11, 2026 at 10:56 AM
jwpstl
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #6 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


Doubtful. A Fuji x100 vI is $1800 with a 35mm lens. Imagine what it would cost with a lens similar to the RX10 IV.

gdanmitchell wrote:
I am a bit surprised to see a 1” sensor camera at this price point when something like it cold probalby come with a APS-C sensor at about the same high cost.

OK, it would have to be a bit bigger and it might not get quite the same narrow angle of view.

That being said (and the huge number of cell phone photographers aside) I do see people using cameras like this when I travel. While it wouldn’t be my choice, I think that buyers feel that they are getting good quality for their intended use (likely personal sharing) along
...Show more →



Jul 11, 2026 at 11:37 AM
Jazzgear296
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #7 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


jwpstl wrote:
I don’t understand the desire for a Z9 or X100 or a Leica of any kind but I don’t need to understand it. What I do understand is that others like these things so, as long as there is a market, they get made.


---------------------------------------------

lsquare wrote:
It's actually a pretty good camera too. I've owned both the RX10 II and IV. It's a shame that Sony didn't design a newer sensor, considering important advances have been made over the past decade. Other than that, I will get the V, and it's not because I don't have an ILC; I do, but for vacation, this is a good one-camera to bring.


I agree. I have multiple A1II’s and an A7RV, and I plan on getting one once the price drops to the $1700’ish range (new or lightly used). This would make a great camera to take on vacation along with my RX1R III.



Jul 11, 2026 at 12:31 PM
Imagemaster
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #8 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


snegron7 wrote:
No one mentions the "king" of all bridge cameras; the Panasonic FZ50.


How about because it is not the "king" of all bridge cameras now?

As for this updated Sony release, I think it's too expensive to attract the target demographic they are after.

It does not matter what you think. Sony Marketing knows better than you do and they will make a profit selling lots of them.

It can do things better and things that the FZ50 can't even do:


Nine years after the launch of the RX10 IV, Sony has unveiled the RX10 V, bringing AI-powered autofocus, faster performance and improved battery life to its flagship all-in-one superzoom camera.

The new camera pairs a fixed ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* 24-600mm equivalent F2.4-4.0 lens with a 20.1-megapixel 1.0-inch stacked Exmor RS CMOS sensor and Sony's BIONZ XR image processor.

Like previous RX10 models, it is designed for photographers who want the flexibility of a broad focal length range without changing lenses.

One of the biggest updates is the inclusion of Sony's AI-powered Real-time Recognition autofocus system, first seen in its Alpha mirrorless cameras.

The system
...Show more →



Jul 11, 2026 at 01:14 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #9 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


Jeff Kott wrote:
There’s no question that if you’re used to using a FF sensor with good glass, the 1 inch sensor is a step down and you might be disappointed with the results depending on what you’re trying to do and I resent your comment on user error to my comment on the 1” sensor not being enough for all of my uses. I don’t understand how you can say that when so many respected reviewers have pointed out exactly that. Here’s a couple examples.

As Jason Vong says in his review: “ the RX10 V is a great choice for three
...Show more →

Of course, And if you want ILC, no need to only look at Sony. You can use an RX10 V on some days and Canon, Nikon, Fuji on other days if you like.

EBH



Jul 11, 2026 at 01:22 PM
Jeff Kott
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #10 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release




EB-1 wrote:
Of course, And if you want ILC, no need to only look at Sony. You can use an RX10 V on some days and Canon, Nikon, Fuji on other days if you like.

EBH

Sorry, I was sure you said thr difference was my “user error.”



Jul 11, 2026 at 01:26 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

chiron
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #11 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


Jeff Kott wrote:
There’s no question that if you’re used to using a FF sensor with good glass, the 1 inch sensor is a step down and you might be disappointed with the results depending on what you’re trying to do and I resent your comment on user error to my comment on the 1” sensor not being enough for all of my uses. I don’t understand how you can say that when so many respected reviewers have pointed out exactly that. Here’s a couple examples.

As Jason Vong says in his review: “ the RX10 V is a great choice for three
...Show more →

I have to say that I am reluctantly and sadly coming to agree with these reviewers. While I do find the idea of the camera very appealing, after reviewing a lot of sample photos the image quality seems just a bit too weak for me. The images seem to lack snap or crispness and depth. Maybe it is poor processing of the images since RAW processing is not yet availble and the samples are all jpegs. And I'm sure others will disagree. I have seen some wonderful work in M4/3 that has been posted here. But the IQ of the RX10 V images I have seen reminds me of what comes out of the Fuji x100vi, which I have never liked and that I attribute to its lens more than its APS sensor. I will probably stick with my A7CR and a Sony 24-50mm for most travel purposes and the other situations where I might have liked a bridge camera.

This disappointment in the IQ limitations of the RX10 V does make me wish that Ricoh would get out its 40mm lens version of the GR IV. An APS-C sensor with a good lens is acceptable to me.



Jul 11, 2026 at 01:59 PM
Jeff Kott
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #12 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


I used to carry my RX100vii all the time as it was a pocketable camera with a 200mm FF equivalent reach. After I got my iPhone 18 Pro Max with the 200mm Ff equivalent lens, I found the RX100 had no purpose. The 1 inch sensor was insufficient for printed landscape images and portrait mode on my IPhone look more pleasing than portraits taken with the RX100vii. I assume the same will be true with the new RX10, since when zoomed out slightly the FF equivalent aperture on the RX10V is F 11. Also, with the computational power of the iPhone, low light photos look much better than with the Sony 1 inch sensor.

I was pretty sure I was going to try out the new RX10, but thinking this through I’ve pretty much talked myself out of it.



Jul 11, 2026 at 02:26 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #13 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


jwpstl wrote:
Doubtful. A Fuji x100 vI is $1800 with a 35mm lens. Imagine what it would cost with a lens similar to the RX10 IV.



You could not put a lens with an identical angle-of-view range on a APS-C camera and have it as “small” as this. For example, a “600mm equivalent” angle-of-view lens would be a 400mm lens on APS-C… and that’s not going to be small.

However… i suspect that most folks looking for a small-ish all-in-one camera for things like travel and similar might be quite happy with something that provided, say, a 300mm angle of view equivalent.

So there would be some trade-offs, for sure, but I think that they are trade-offs that many buyers would actually like.
w
Also, the $1800 Fujifilm X100vi isn’t really a great price comparison point. As we know, that camera’s price is arguably artificially high due to popular demand for is retro styling. A better comparison point might be one of the lower range Fujifilm APS-C cameras with a better lens. (There is no exact match, obviously.)

Many years ago, before I got my first DSLR (when I was still shooting film), one of my early experiments with digital was with a camera positioned somewhat like this one, the Canon Pro 1. (I don’t imagine too many people remember that!) Since that was over two decades ago (yikes!) it most certainly is nothing like a feature-for-feature match to the Sony, but conceptually it was targeting the same market — people who wanted an upscale all-in-one camera with a good zoom lens (Canon actually put a red ring on the thing) in a small package. It also had a 1” sensor.

Most people here would not be happy with such a camera, and ultimately i I was very much not happy with the Pro 1. (Though I still own it…) Which leads to another possibility — that Sony regards this as a “gateway” camera for those who want a “good camea” but still hope to get it in one small package at a price that might seem low compared to getting a better APS-C cameras and lenses… but who will quite possible decide, after using it for a year or two, that they really want something better.

I do think it sounds like a well-executed example of this type of camera, and that such a camera can be perfect for certain kinds of users. I do still wonder if the price is too high for that demographic, but we’ll see.

YMMV.



Jul 11, 2026 at 02:54 PM
Lethimcook
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #14 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


Allegedly a commonly used criteria camera inclusion/exclusion at concerts and pro-sporting venues is the presence of a detachable lens. So this might be attractive option for bigger venues where the RX100 might not be enough reach (although it is quite large).

Also, the RX100 sub-reddit top posted threads have amazing images of sports matches (NBA) and concerts that outshine iPhone images.



Jul 11, 2026 at 03:41 PM
BillinTexas
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #15 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


Lethimcook wrote:
Allegedly a commonly used criteria camera inclusion/exclusion at concerts and pro-sporting venues is the presence of a detachable lens. So this might be attractive option for bigger venues where the RX100 might not be enough reach (although it is quite large).

Also, the RX100 sub-reddit top posted threads have amazing images of sports matches (NBA) and concerts that outshine iPhone images.


Minute Maid Park in 2018 allowed the 10IV in, and it did a fine job.

">



Jul 11, 2026 at 03:48 PM
Malka_1
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #16 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


In regards to the original question - I was that user of the camera 18 months ago. I knew very little about photography but was getting frustrated with my iPhone consistently outperforming my super-zoom point and shoot (so why did I shlep it on all the hikes??), and was looking for an upgrade. In retrospective, it was part operator error, but the other part was the same size sensor and sub-par optics against idiot-proof post-processing of the phone.

With a bit of research, RX10 IV was the logical next step. An interchangeable lens camera was too much of a leap for someone who did not know what aperture was. It was a solid basic photography tool in and of itself, plus the perfect instrument for running up the many learning curves of serious photography without the additional complexity of lens options.

I did beat my iPhone, esp. now that post-processing is rewriting reality more and more with each update.

As an aside, I tried Lumix DC-FZ1000M2, the cheaper Panasonic equivalent, early on too, and it just didn't measure up.

Within a year I pushed out to the limits of RX10 IV - single lens and the 1" sensor size. Software was getting dated but wasn't the main factor. My choices for my current camera and set of lenses were much more educated.

I can see it being a great all-rounder for those who don't need or want to push the limits, the camera being, as they call it, the "minivan" of the cameras.

Below is one of my last pictures with RX10 IV. It's as good as it got but a discerning eye would notice it's a bit soft.




  DSC-RX10M4    24-600mm F2.4-4.0 lens    215mm    f/9.0    1/2000s    2000 ISO    0.0 EV  




Jul 11, 2026 at 10:49 PM
lsquare
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #17 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release




gdanmitchell wrote:
I am a bit surprised to see a 1” sensor camera at this price point when something like it could probalby come with a APS-C sensor at about the same high cost.

OK, it would have to be a bit bigger and it might not get quite the same narrow angle of view, but still…

That being said (and the huge number of cell phone photographers aside) I do see people using cameras like this when I travel. While it wouldn’t be my choice, I think that buyers feel that they are getting good quality for their intended use (likely personal
...Show more →

It's called inflation.



Jul 12, 2026 at 12:11 AM
jaybr
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #18 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


"It's called inflation"
.
It's also called greed.
$3500 Australian for a minor updated (since 2017) 1" sensor bridge camera is ridiculous IMO.

M



Jul 12, 2026 at 01:30 AM
Imagemaster
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #19 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


It is called reality. The market will determine if the price is ridiculous. Anyone who thinks it is too expensive will not buy it, those who think it is worth the price will buy it.

There are always FF users that preach everyone else should use the same-size gear as they do. They don't know what they are talking about, because they can't comprehend there are people who have different photographic wants and needs.

The prices to go to a FIFA match are ridiculous, but look at how many people pay those prices.

There are millions of people that are perfectly happy with the landscape images they capture with their cellphones. The feelings their own images emote to themselves is more important than how much detail they get. They don't give a hoot if others do the same using FF or medium format gear.



Jul 12, 2026 at 09:01 AM
davev
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #20 · I Don't Understand the Sony RX10 V Release


For people with higher megapixel count cameras, a aps-c lens, the 70-350 would give you a 525mm light lens.
At times I use this setup when my back isn't up to snuff. (with the a7CR or the A1)

Photos of the a1 with the 70-350 in crop mode, vs the RX10 III
525mm looks a lot like 600mm to me.



Jul 12, 2026 at 09:01 AM
1       2       3              5       …       7       8       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5       …       7       8       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account