fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       11              13       14       end
  

Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.

  
 
Nielk Mike
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #1 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


gyoung143 wrote:
Yes, yet another person comes on here having bought the wrong camera model (for his extremely expensive lenses) and comes here to moan.
Meanwhile on another Fuji forum therearesome excellent BIFexamples taken with an Xt2......


Why would the X-T5 be the wrong camera model?



Jul 31, 2026 at 02:42 PM
dgbarar
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #2 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.




All 3 people left who want to do this shouldn't be shooting Fuji regardless.


Here is what you fail to understand. All autofocus systems fail including Sony, Canon, Nikon and FujiFilm. FujiFilm fails more frequently, but that is beside the point. Multiple back button auto focus offered on cameras by Sony, Canon, Nikon give you the opportunity to rapidly adjust for the situation and succeed more often. This is essential for bird photography. This is not to say that you cannot get good bird photographs with FujiFilm. You can. But you are less likely to succeed than if you are shooting one of the big 3. If FujiFilm wants to up their game in wildlife photography they need more than improved autofocus. They also need to fix their bodies to make them more flexible without having to resort to menu diving.




Jul 31, 2026 at 02:57 PM
gyoung143
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #3 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


Nielk Mike wrote:
Why would the X-T5 be the wrong camera model?


Because the Xh2s is made for the job and much better at it (apparently, I am happy with my Xt5 but don't try much BIF)



Jul 31, 2026 at 03:03 PM
gyoung143
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #4 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.




Here is what you fail to understand. All autofocus systems fail including Sony, Canon, Nikon and FujiFilm. FujiFilm fails more frequently, but that is beside the point. Multiple back button auto focus offered on cameras by Sony, Canon, Nikon give you the opportunity to rapidly adjust for the situation and succeed more often. This is essential for bird photography. This is not to say that you cannot get good bird photographs with FujiFilm. You can. But you are less likely to succeed than if you are shooting one of the big 3. If FujiFilm wants to up their game in wildlife
...Show more →
I would be really interested to know how you set up three buttons for different BBF? Not the mechanics of menu items but what the three buttons do differently?

Gerry



Jul 31, 2026 at 03:13 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #5 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


Bruce Marriner wrote:
I love my couple of Fuji cameras, one of which being the XT5 and for all the things I do with them, I have zero problems with the autofocus, it's plenty fast and very rarely inaccurate. But, I'll be very quick to admit that the XT5 isn't a camera body for birding/sports. You can do those things with it, and I have done so, but it will take more effort, be a bit more difficult, and have less keepers than using a camera body more suited to the task.


My AF experience with the XT5 is a bit different than yours.

In my experience the AF performance is excellent with the small (and some slightly) primes that I use with it. For street photography and travel (subjects that overlap for me) I primarily rely on the 14mm f/2.8, 27mm f/2.8, and 50mm f/2. These are very sharp lenses that AF effectively and reliably. I also use the 80mm f/2.8 macro and the 90mm f/2, and their performance is in the same category. Though I use them less, I have the older 35mm f/1.4 and 23mm f/1.4, which are also solid, reliable performers.

Recently I’ve been having some issues with Fujifilm zoom lenses though that I’m still trying to fully sort out. I have three:

16-55mm f/2.8 (original model)
50-140mm f/2.8
100-400mm f/4.5-5.6

Let me get the middle one, the 50-140, out of the way first. It is a fine lens, sharp and autofocusing accurately.

Now to the 16-55 and 100-400…

Both have produced some photographs with excellent sharpness for me. And I’ve been paying extra careful attention to this recently because…

…. sometimes they don’t, and for reasons that only partially make sense to me.

I recently used the 16-55 more extensively than usual during six weeks of overseas travel where I photographed subject from landscapes to city stuff, including things like cathedral interiors. The interiors usually ended up just fine, but the landscape results were very inconsistent, despite the fact that I’m a careful photographer who is very attentive to things like camera stability and careful shutter release operation. I saw a number of photographs that were simply too soft, with no obvious reason.

I’ve had similar experience with the 100-400. During the past couple of years I’ve used it for some wildlife photography and some landscape photography. The results with the wildlife (mostly migratory birds like cranes and geese, but some smaller birds, too.) have been disappointing. With the AF mode set to birds, the camera appears to track bird targets pretty well, but I get way too many images that are slighlty but noticeably OOF. (I shoot a full frame system alongside the Fujifilm system, and it isn’t a problem there… suggesting that it isn’t my camera handling.) Yet, at the same time, with the camera and lens on a tripod and using AF rather than manually focusing, I have some very sharp landscape photographs made with the same camera and lens.

Any way, FWIW, that’s my story…



Jul 31, 2026 at 03:29 PM
Nielk Mike
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #6 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


gyoung143 wrote:
Because the Xh2s is made for the job and much better at it (apparently, I am happy with my Xt5 but don't try much BIF)


Why is the X-H2s "made" for the job? Is there something wrong with AF in the X-T line?



Jul 31, 2026 at 03:55 PM
Driften
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #7 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


Why is the X-H2s "made" for the job? Is there something wrong with AF in the X-T line?

The X-H2s has a stacked sensor with a much faster scan rate that allows for more autofocus calculations per second than the X-T5 or the X-H2 can do.



Jul 31, 2026 at 05:37 PM
Bruce Marriner
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #8 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


gyoung143 wrote:
Yes, yet another person comes on here having bought the wrong camera model (for his extremely expensive lenses) and comes here to moan.
Meanwhile on another Fuji forum therearesome excellent BIFexamples taken with an Xt2......


The XT5 did seem like an odd choice to pair with such nice lenses, seems like if you're buying those then getting the XH2s as well would make sense, but maybe they already had the XT5 and were trying to make use of it.

I don't doubt there's great photos from XT2 users - folks were taking fantastic wildlife/sports photos with film cameras and manual focus lenses too. I've gotten some pretty good bird photos with my XT5 (and the XH2s) but for sure, some cameras just make the job easier than others and there's some really impressive ones out there today for wildlife/sports. If you're invested in that type of photography.. might as well get the right tools that makes it easier if you can.



Jul 31, 2026 at 09:26 PM
voltaire
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #9 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


Thanks, everyone. I prefer the X-T5s as far as ergonomics is concerned. I used to have an X-H2 that I sold after two safaris because it just seemed too heavy for me.

I agree the X-H2s might have been the better match and as I mentioned some of this might be user error as well. Nonetheless, we are going to the sixth generation processor and I’m hoping the focusing will be stickier.

Based on my experience from the recent birding trip, when Fuji nails the focus you can almost “see” that it’s like video in slo-mo. Not sure if this is the best way to describe this. However, in the middle of the series of shots the cameras seem to disengage that forces me to focus again. I do not assign a back focus button and rely on the shutter half pressed for focusing. Not sure if that needs to change.

Except for this birding experience, I use Fuji in all other genres. I will not trade it for any other brand.

I appreciate all the feedback. Thanks!



Edited on Jul 31, 2026 at 09:49 PM · View previous versions



Jul 31, 2026 at 09:39 PM
Bruce Marriner
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #10 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


gdanmitchell wrote:
Recently I’ve been having some issues with Fujifilm zoom lenses though that I’m still trying to fully sort out. I have three:


I probably should have gave more details. I mostly use my XT5 for street/family/travel/casual type photography, and more recently a lot when hiking since compared to most my cameras, it's incredibly light. I did briefly use it for indoor soccer but then moved to the XH2s for that, though I'll admit I was fairly successful with the XT5 but I was hoping to do a little better

However, I use fast prime lenses 90% of the time for all my photography. I do have the 50-140 and have used it for soccer and some other kid events and it was fine for me as well. I briefly had the 16-55 v1 and I didn't like it very much and it was just so huge and for me, too slow. I'm an aperture slave I got the Sigma 17-40f1.8 and use it with the XT5 a fair amount and haven't had issues with it. I have the 150-600 lens and used it for awhile with the XH2s and I had mixed results, if it was bright enough out it worked well but the f8 aperture was just far too limiting. (this was before the XF500 came out which is still slower than I'd prefer)



Jul 31, 2026 at 09:43 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

SpecFoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #11 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


Seems this threads title question will soon be answered (not just speculated on ) The X-T5 has been officially discontinued on the Fujifilm Japan website and rumor sites say of the an early September official announcement for the X-T6.


Jul 31, 2026 at 10:07 PM
Nielk Mike
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #12 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


Driften wrote:
The X-H2s has a stacked sensor with a much faster scan rate that allows for more autofocus calculations per second than the X-T5 or the X-H2 can do.


Seems to me that the issue was not the scan rate - but to detect the subject in the first place:

"Fuji had a hard time finding focus under the canopy where there leaves or small branches that partially obscured the subject. Since it was under the canopy it was low light as well."

The X-T5 should be able to do the job if Canon and Nikon can, right?



Aug 01, 2026 at 12:55 AM
gyoung143
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #13 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.




Nielk Mike wrote:
Seems to me that the issue was not the scan rate - but to detect the subject in the first place:

"Fuji had a hard time finding focus under the canopy where there leaves or small branches that partially obscured the subject. Since it was under the canopy it was low light as well."

The X-T5 should be able to do the job if Canon and Nikon can, right?

WHICH Nikon.
This thread goes round in circles.
The Nikon and Sony models that are so wonderful at BIF are bigger, heavier and much more expensive.
The Xh2s likewise, and still gets hot doing all the processing by all accounts.
Even a Zf costs more than an Xt5 never mind Z8 or 9
Nobody moans because their VW Passat doesn't go like a hot BMW, why be so unrealistic about cameras?
And a poster chose Xt5 over Xh2s to save a few ounces while lugging around 200/2, 500/4 etc etc. And blames Fuji because he chose an unsuitable tool for the job!

Gerry



Aug 01, 2026 at 05:26 AM
AZ Photo
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #14 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


gyoung143 wrote:
The Xh2s likewise, and still gets hot doing all the processing by all accounts.
Gerry


Its very unlikely that the X-H2S AF processing causes overheating.




Aug 01, 2026 at 05:46 AM
AZ Photo
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #15 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


gyoung143 wrote:
The Xh2s likewise, and still gets hot doing all the processing by all accounts.
Gerry


Its very unlikely that the X-H2S AF processing causes overheating.




Aug 01, 2026 at 05:46 AM
gyoung143
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #16 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.



AZ Photo wrote:
Its very unlikely that the X-H2S AF processing causes overheating.


Why not? What else is happening to produce heat? Why do computers have large fans on processors?
No good just denying it without reasoning, there is nothing going on in a digital camera to produce heat except the processors for display and function.

Gerry



Aug 01, 2026 at 06:04 AM
AZ Photo
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #17 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


gyoung143 wrote:
Why not? What else is happening to produce heat? Why do computers have large fans on processors?
No good just denying it without reasoning, there is nothing going on in a digital camera to produce heat except the processors for display and function.

Gerry


Mine doesn't get hot shooting stills and the only reports I've seen of overheating have either been in very hot environments or shooting long high-res videos.

My reasoning is that the processing required for autofocus just doesn't stress the processor enough to overheat the camera.

And my computer doesn't have a large fan on its processors even though its capable of doing a lot more work than camera AF.



Aug 01, 2026 at 07:11 AM
Nielk Mike
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #18 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


gyoung143 wrote:
WHICH Nikon.
This thread goes round in circles.
The Nikon and Sony models that are so wonderful at BIF are bigger, heavier and much more expensive.
The Xh2s likewise, and still gets hot doing all the processing by all accounts.
Even a Zf costs more than an Xt5 never mind Z8 or 9
Nobody moans because their VW Passat doesn't go like a hot BMW, why be so unrealistic about cameras?
And a poster chose Xt5 over Xh2s to save a few ounces while lugging around 200/2, 500/4 etc etc. And blames Fuji because he chose an unsuitable tool for the job!

Gerry


The point is: The X-T5 didn't catch the subject when other cameras did. I doubt that the X-H2s would behave differently in that regard as it has nothing to do with speed of the CPU.



Aug 01, 2026 at 07:14 AM
gyoung143
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #19 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


AZ Photo wrote:
Mine doesn't get hot shooting stills and the only reports I've seen of overheating have either been in very hot environments or shooting long high-res videos.

My reasoning is that the processing required for autofocus just doesn't stress the processor enough to overheat the camera.

And my computer doesn't have a large fan on its processors even though its capable of doing a lot more work than camera AF.

Would hardly ex0dct it to get even warm doing single shot stills. The reports I have seen are of it getting hot shooting bursts on af-c tracking, doing a lot of work re drawing the display, processing and writing data for many shots in short periods. Add to that sorting out the af tracking as the subjedt moves within the frame and in distance from camera,
Ordinary photo post processing is not a challenge even for a laptop, but my grandson's gaming desktop has a 4 inch fan on the processor and another on the display card.
They sell an accessory fan for the Xh2s I believe? Presumably sometimes needed.

Gerry



Aug 01, 2026 at 09:02 AM
AZ Photo
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #20 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


Well I haven't noticed it with bursts and the camera is always in af-c so whenever I have the shutter button half pressed - even when not actually shooting - its going through it focus, subject detection and tracking algorithms.


Aug 01, 2026 at 09:42 AM
1       2       3       …       11              13       14       end






FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       11              13       14       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account