fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       12              14       end
  

Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.

  
 
leolab
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #1 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


I think the heat is primarily from the storage of the information (like in video, lots of heat generated from storing the information to your card), same thing happens with external drives when you are using them extensively. The AF protocols I would suggest are not generating as much heat.



Aug 01, 2026 at 10:02 AM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #2 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


The X100VI gets hot to the touch simply being on, so it wouldn't surprise me that a slightly larger body with the same guts has the same issue.


Aug 01, 2026 at 10:36 AM
gyoung143
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #3 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


External drives are physical, when writing to them the motor is spinning the disk, so heat is generated, the psu is generating heat too. Writing to solid state devices (sd cards for instance) is relatively slow and involves no mechanical device. Processors get hot running software, in a camera translating the information generated by the sensor, into a form that can be written to the card, both as raw and to a jpeg format, and shown on the screen, and then moving it to a different part of the screen when the subject moves relative to the frame. The xt5 screen is completely refreshed 100 times a second, more in Boost mode, and if it moves every single dot will need a new value sent to it. The processor has to work that out. Generates heat doing it, which is why computers doing heavy calculation, and display systems with high resolution and display refresh rates have cooling fans. Never heard of the read/write (to storage medium) needing a fan.

Gerry



Aug 01, 2026 at 11:06 AM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #4 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


Basically, if you are shooting a whole lot of high-quality video, and that’s your main thing, you’re probably just want to get a different camera. Simple, no question.

For still photographs, even typically use and burst mode, there is literally no problem at all unless you need a very deep buffer.

(Note: Edited that last sentence.)

AZ Photo wrote:
Mine doesn't get hot shooting stills and the only reports I've seen of overheating have either been in very hot environments or shooting long high-res videos.

My reasoning is that the processing required for autofocus just doesn't stress the processor enough to overheat the camera.

And my computer doesn't have a large fan on its processors even though its capable of doing a lot more work than camera AF.



Edited on Aug 01, 2026 at 07:56 PM · View previous versions



Aug 01, 2026 at 11:48 AM
gyoung143
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #5 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


gdanmitchell wrote:
Basically, if you are shooting a whole lot of high-quality video, and that’s your main thing, you’re probably just want to get a different camera. Simple, no question.

Or still photographs, even typically use and burst mode, there is literally no problem at all.



As always, and as has been said a few times in this thread, buy the right tools for the job. Camera manufacturers give you lots of features and possibilities, but it doesn't mean they are good at it. I could get a 'winder' for my FM2, but if I'd I used it a lot it would knock hell out of the shutter and film transport, use an F3 instead.
If you want or even need the best burst rates and tracking, and are capable of doing it yourself, spend your money on a Z8/9. If you want to do it with Fuji because you're priorities are elsewhere and it's occasional, buy an Xh2s.
Don't buy a Beetle and complain it won't go round corners like a 911.

Gerry



Aug 01, 2026 at 12:56 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #6 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


.

Edited on Aug 02, 2026 at 04:04 AM · View previous versions



Aug 01, 2026 at 08:06 PM
Nielk Mike
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #7 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


gdanmitchell wrote:
An analogy that I like, since it doesn’t imply better and worse, is that some of the complaints in forums about camera capabilities are analogous to complaining that you F350 isn’t the smoothest or quietest riding family vehicle, or that you rLexus sedan can’t carry 200lbs of sand.


It was not about burst rate or tracking. It was about focusing on an animal in a tree which other brands could do. Shouldn't both, the X-T5 and the X-H2s, be able to do that? The X-H2s is a hybrid with strong advantages for video. But on a static subject, the X-T5 should do just fine, shouldn't it? So this whole ting about "wrong gear" is just another attempt to defend subpar AF performance. .



Aug 02, 2026 at 01:44 AM
gyoung143
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #8 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.




Nielk Mike wrote:
It was not about burst rate or tracking. It was about focusing on an animal in a tree which other brands could do. Shouldn't both, the X-T5 and the X-H2s, be able to do that? The X-H2s is a hybrid with strong advantages for video. But on a static subject, the X-T5 should do just fine, shouldn't it? So this whole ting about "wrong gear" is just another attempt to defend subpar AF performance. .

Xh2s is the stacked sensor, fast readout model. Plenty of examples available to show it doing sports and BIF well, better than other Fujis.
If you have items on more than one plane within the focus box how is the camera to know which you want? Some might latch on to the farther item, other times it might not. Maybe one camera is better than another on some occasions.
But if I wanted the nearer item sharp it wouldn't be ,'better' if it always did the farther.
I have tried that, and with both Xt3 and 5 the reeds, branches etc between me and the duck are ignored most of the time, not always. The Fujis do better than my old Nikon D7000, and from memory the Sonys I had but that too was old models a long time ago.

Gerry



Aug 02, 2026 at 02:09 AM
Nielk Mike
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #9 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


gyoung143 wrote:
Xh2s is the stacked sensor, fast readout model. Plenty of examples available to show it doing sports and BIF well, better than other Fujis.
If you have items on more than one plane within the focus box how is the camera to know which you want? Some might latch on to the farther item, other times it might not. Maybe one camera is better than another on some occasions.
But if I wanted the nearer item sharp it wouldn't be ,'better' if it always did the farther.
I have tried that, and with both Xt3 and 5 the reeds, branches etc between me
...Show more →

How do Sony and Canon know which object to focus on? Why did those cameras "find" the animal but the Fuji didn't? The stacked sensor does little when it comes to basic AF functions. Lock-on and follow - maybe. But shouldn't the X-T5 be able to focus on that animal as well as the Sony or Canon did? What you are saying is that the X-T5 AF is not good enough for that?



Aug 02, 2026 at 03:10 AM
gyoung143
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #10 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.




Nielk Mike wrote:
How do Sony and Canon know which object to focus on? Why did those cameras "find" the animal but the Fuji didn't? The stacked sensor does little when it comes to basic AF functions. Lock-on and follow - maybe. But shouldn't the X-T5 be able to focus on that animal as well as the Sony or Canon did? What you are saying is that the X-T5 AF is not good enough for that?

I don’t know, either why they did or whether it was a sufficiently rigorous test to provide meaningful conclusions. And neither do you.
I am not sufficiently familiar with the Xh2s to know why, but evidence and the comments of owners indicate that it foes better. Again have you experienced all cameras and got familiar and competent with them?
I think you are willing to believe anything that knocks the cameras, without sufficient knowledge or an open mind. Just as you were with the focus scale issue with wide angles

Gerry



Aug 02, 2026 at 03:41 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Nielk Mike
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #11 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


gyoung143 wrote:
I don’t know, either why they did or whether it was a sufficiently rigorous test to provide meaningful conclusions. And neither do you.
I am not sufficiently familiar with the Xh2s to know why, but evidence and the comments of owners indicate that it foes better. Again have you experienced all cameras and got familiar and competent with them?
I think you are willing to believe anything that knocks the cameras, without sufficient knowledge or an open mind. Just as you were with the focus scale issue with wide angles

Gerry


Never used the X-H line. But from what I read, it has better AF-C lock-on and follow. But that is not the point. Shouldn't the X-T5 detect a subject as well as Sony or Canon? If the X-H does (which I don't know) - why not the X-T5? And yes, I have experience with almost all X-T, X-E and X-Pro bodies, and the X100V and VI. And a good number of Fuji and third party lenses.



Aug 02, 2026 at 04:00 AM
gyoung143
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #12 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.



Nielk Mike wrote:
Never used the X-H line. But from what I read, it has better AF-C lock-on and follow. But that is not the point. Shouldn't the X-T5 detect a subject as well as Sony or Canon? If the X-H does (which I don't know) - why not the X-T5? And yes, I have experience with almost all X-T, X-E and X-Pro bodies, and the X100V and VI. And a good number of Fuji and third party lenses.

But a single, un substantial report with no detail of conditions is nothing more than anecdotal. Exactly similar view? I doubt it if the photographers were side by side. Similar skills levels of operator, who knows.
You can't extrapolate from one anecdital report to general conclusion. Especially in the absence of other reports. That is naive. And again plenty of evidence in pictures that the Xh2s does fast action well.
AF is not infallible, it's only software. Every system has it's limits and failings.

Gerry



Aug 02, 2026 at 04:14 AM
Cliff L.
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #13 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


AZ Photo wrote:
Mine doesn't get hot shooting stills and the only reports I've seen of overheating have either been in very hot environments or shooting long high-res videos.



I've had my X-H2S overheat shooting stills on a moderately warm (20ºC) sunny day.



Aug 03, 2026 at 12:21 PM
Cliff L.
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #14 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


leolab wrote:
I'll chime in, having used virtually every system under the sun , I can vouch that I have had more false positive AF issues with Fuji (I have an Xpro2, XE1 and XT50) than any other system I have used over the past 10+ years.


I also own, or have owned, pretty well every system out there (Pentax no longer counts...) and I was often frustrated by Fuji's "false positive" AF results for bird photography, but in this respect they're really not far behind the Nikon Z8 and Z9, especially when it comes to static subjects.

The latest Sony models are better than either of those two, and Canon is still noticeably better than Sony. Can you get good results with all of these systems? Absolutely - but some will test your patience more than they will test your skill level.



Aug 03, 2026 at 12:32 PM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #15 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


https://petapixel.com/2026/08/10/fujifilm-says-the-quiet-part-out-loud-the-memory-crisis-is-coming-for-cameras/

Prepare to pay more for less, whenever it finally releases.



Aug 11, 2026 at 08:51 AM
stephenjohnsonn
Offline
•
[X]
p.13 #16 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


It will be interesting to see what the X-T6 is like; however, I have no desire for one as I'm very happy with my X-T5.


Sep 24, 2026 at 02:33 PM
liggy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #17 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


No interest in an X-T6. Honestly enjoy my X-T2 as much as the X-T5.
Highly doubtful an X-T6 will match Sony's AF or tracking.

Cannot speak to Canon or Nikon being even better.

That would make them insanely capable because I'm very happy with the A1 II / A9 III AF and tracking.



Sep 24, 2026 at 11:20 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #18 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


stephenjohnsonn wrote:
It will be interesting to see what the X-T6 is like; however, I have no desire for one as I'm very happy with my X-T5.


That’s exactly my perspective. I’m always interested in watching manufacturers continue to make increment improvements and upgrades as new models are released — and people whose purchase schedule aligns with the release of the XT6 will likely want one.

But upgrading to every new release almost never makes sense. My XT5 isa fine camera and I’ll keep using it for at least one or two more upgrade cycles.



Sep 25, 2026 at 09:40 AM
George Komiotis
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #19 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


Any updates on when the X-T6 will be presented?


Sep 25, 2026 at 09:59 AM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #20 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


George Komiotis wrote:
Any updates on when the X-T6 will be presented?


Later. ;-)



Sep 25, 2026 at 11:08 AM
1       2       3       …       12              14       end






FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       12              14       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account