fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       10              12       13       14       end
  

Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.

  
 
nightnight
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #1 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


SpecFoto wrote:
The X-T5 shows no sign of any finish wear at all.



Not to be a nitpicker, but there is some pretty obvious finish wear visible in this photo without zooming in.



Jul 23, 2026 at 08:34 AM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #2 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


nightnight wrote:
Not to be a nitpicker, but there is some pretty obvious finish wear visible in this photo without zooming in.


This has become such an unserious place.



Jul 23, 2026 at 08:35 AM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #3 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


^^^
Thanks, as always, for thoughtful and relevant contributions to the subject at hand.

About wear in general: Any camera that gets used a lot is going to show some wear — scratches, nicks, dings, worn edges. That’s not a sign of a cheap or poorly made camera. (Seen any old Leicas recently? ;-)

And a camera that gets babied, wrapped in a case, handled gingerly, and not used a whole lot may well put off the normal wear and tear.

In the end, some marks on a well-used camera are normal and likely the result of being used actively for photography.

I’ve owned quite a few cameras ver the years, and that happened to every one of them. One of my current systems is based on a the XT5. I probably use it more than the majority of folks visiting this forum, and I can’t always baby it. Yet, despite a few rough edges here and htere, it still holds up just fine.

Edited on Jul 23, 2026 at 03:32 PM · View previous versions



Jul 23, 2026 at 10:43 AM
nightnight
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #4 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


gdanmitchell wrote:
In the end, some marks on a well-used camera are normal and likely the result of being used actively for photography.


No disagreement there. My original point, and my only point, was that the quality of the finish was not uniform across the current era of Fuji cameras, and that I hoped to see it improve.



Jul 23, 2026 at 11:07 AM
SGinNorcal
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #5 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


My silver XT5 still looks great and I'm completely satisfied with its durability. I bought it on pre-release and this is its 4th year as my hiking camera. I average around 500 miles per year on trail in all conditions (ok, I don't like snow). I hang it cross-body so I can quickly use it as needed, no case or protection beyond the baseplate/grip. There have been a couple times where it went into my pack due to weather conditions, pouring rain. My yearly trip, involves climbing above tree line, often without trails. Aside from a couple of nicks on the "prism", the only other wear I see is to the silver finish where the swivels rub against the body. Even that is pretty minor considering the time spent hanging from a strap. I can imagine at some point sending it in to Fuji for cleaning in/around the switches. The on/off button and shutter speed dial both have showed signs of dirt ingress that made them turn hard. So far I've dealt with by turning it upside down, rotating the switches, while blowing air. Done that a couple times and all is well. My everyday lenses suffer more than the body does. I use Kase metal magnetic lens caps and one of them has a couple pretty good scratches in it from unplanned meetings with rocks. But again, no loss of function.


Jul 23, 2026 at 11:12 AM
Lee Saxon
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #6 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


On finish quality I can say that they grey on the original GFX 100 wants to flake off pretty darn bad, you have to really make a point not to give it an excuse.


Jul 23, 2026 at 11:27 AM
mdude85
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #7 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


I have not had any problems with wear on any of my Fuji cameras disproportionate to normal use. I've had the XT2, XT3, XT4, X100V, and XE5. Granted I have not used the XE5 that much but it has a few divots on its underside but no exposed metal beneath the black coating.

You can google pretty much any camera brand and see plenty of photos of scratches, peeling, dents, etc. I don't know why people think these machines are indestructible or made from some kind of magic material that never shows wear. Some say that a well-worn camera is a well-used camera.



Jul 23, 2026 at 03:26 PM
JadedWriter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #8 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


Nobody in this thread wants to see my X-H2 or X-H2S.


Jul 23, 2026 at 04:14 PM
gyoung143
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #9 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


Chrome on brass was good, my M3 is excellent after 50+ years, black paint wears off and shows brass through on the edges. My M6ttl was plated but looked 'tatty' after 10, with the zinc or whatever top housing showing grey at the edges.
Early Nikon AF cameras looked awful after a few months hard use.
No problem with my Fujis or the Nikon DSLR but they aren't used heavily.

Gerry



Jul 23, 2026 at 04:15 PM
SpecFoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #10 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


nightnight wrote:
Not to be a nitpicker, but there is some pretty obvious finish wear visible in this photo without zooming in.



There is some silver finish that has come off on the X-T5 around the top plate at the front face near the Shutter and Fn1 button, but that was due to the camera hitting the concrete many months ago, not the result of the finish "wearing off". My bad for not pointing that out in the iPhone 16 photo, which is very sharp! There is no other wear.



Jul 23, 2026 at 09:02 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

nhsonyshooter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #11 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


Well, specs look good. If they can get to Sony RV levels of AF. I'd be good with that.

Fujifilm X-T6
40 MP X-Trans 6
stacked or partially stacked sensor
X Processor 6
8 Stops IBIS
improved signal/noise ratio (S/N) for detailed, vivid images even at high ISO
60fps bursts
500/524 focus points
X-T5 has 425 focus point
Weight: 526g
X-T5 weights 557g with battery and memory card and 476g without
200MP Pixel Shift Multishot
upgraded weather resistance with 60 weather-sealed points
X-T5 has 56 weather-sealed points
operates until -15°C
X-T5 operates until -10°C
refined button system
fully articulating screen
3.69 m/Dot EVF with 0.8x magnification
X-T5 EVF has the same specs
3.0-inch fully articulating LCD with 1.84 million pixels
same of X-T5
20 film simulations
Video: 8K/120p, 4:2:2, 10-bit format, 14 stop extended dynamic range, advanced F-Log2 support, 12-bit ProRes/Blackmagic RAW output via HDMI for external devices.
NP-W235 battery allowing up to 750 frames thanks to the energy-saving X-Processor 6
Micro-HDMI port



Jul 28, 2026 at 04:53 PM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #12 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


Those are just fantasy specs drafted by AI, be better.


Jul 28, 2026 at 05:37 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #13 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


Those supposed specs have their source on some document found on a Vietnamese web site — this was publicized weeks (months?) ago. See today’s FujiRumors for more about this.




Jul 28, 2026 at 07:47 PM
EB-1
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #14 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


How does a 40MP sensor create a 200MP pixel shift? A factor of five doesn't divide evenly.

EBH



Jul 28, 2026 at 10:20 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #15 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


EB-1 wrote:
How does a 40MP sensor create a 200MP pixel shift? A factor of five doesn't divide evenly.

EBH


That would be one of several incongruities in that “list” the created a whole lot of doubts about it. ;-)



Jul 28, 2026 at 10:45 PM
voltaire
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #16 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


I'm not buying an X-T6 until it has been confirmed the autofocus has improved. I was in Ecuador for bird photography with some friends of mine (2 Canon and 2 Sony photographers) and they were already shooting while I was still struggling with focusing. Fuji had a hard time finding focus under the canopy where there leaves or small branches that partially obscured the subject. Since it was under the canopy it was low light as well.

Perhaps it's a combination of operator error and Fuji's inferior focusing but I've decided before I put it any more $$$ with Fujifilm, I would prefer to see an improvement with focusing.

I was using an XF 200 f/2 with 1.4x TC, XF 500 f/5.6 and the XF 150-600 f/5.6 - f/8 on two X-T5 cameras. The zoom had the least usage.

If there is no improvement, I will save up for a Canon birding set-up.

Just sharing this first hand experience.



Jul 31, 2026 at 12:51 PM
dgbarar
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #17 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


voltaire wrote:
I'm not buying an X-T6 until it has been confirmed the autofocus has improved. I was in Ecuador for bird photography with some friends of mine (2 Canon and 2 Sony photographers) and they were already shooting while I was still struggling with focusing. Fuji had a hard time finding focus under the canopy where there leaves or small branches that partially obscured the subject. Since it was under the canopy it was low light as well.

Perhaps it's a combination of operator error and Fuji's inferior focusing but I've decided before I put it any more $$$ with Fujifilm,
...Show more →

It is more than just inferior autofocus with FujiFilm cameras. It is also lack of flexibility to set up two and three back button autofocus. Watch some of the YouTube set-up guides for Sony, Nikon, and Canon (Jan Wegener, Steve Perry, etc). All of these cameras allow for two or three back-button focus set-up. One just cannot set this up on any FujiFilm camera. FujiFilm expects you to go menu diving to make changes that other cameras allow you to do with the simple touch of button. If you are doing wild life, there is simply not enough time for menu diving.

Unless FujiFilm makes significant improvements to autofocus but also allows for multi-back button autofocus, I also am moving on from FujiFilm.



Jul 31, 2026 at 01:55 PM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #18 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


dgbarar wrote:
It is more than just inferior autofocus with FujiFilm cameras. It is also lack of flexibility to set up two and three back button autofocus. Watch some of the YouTube set-up guides for Sony, Nikon, and Canon (Jan Wegener, Steve Perry, etc). All of these cameras allow for two or three back-button focus set-up. One just cannot set this up on any FujiFilm camera. FujiFilm expects you to go menu diving to make changes that other cameras allow you to do with the simple touch of button. If you are doing wild life, there is simply not enough time for
...Show more →

All 3 people left who want to do this shouldn't be shooting Fuji regardless.



Jul 31, 2026 at 01:57 PM
Bruce Marriner
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #19 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


voltaire wrote:
I'm not buying an X-T6 until it has been confirmed the autofocus has improved. I was in Ecuador for bird photography with some friends of mine (2 Canon and 2 Sony photographers) and they were already shooting while I was still struggling with focusing. Fuji had a hard time finding focus under the canopy where there leaves or small branches that partially obscured the subject. Since it was under the canopy it was low light as well.

Perhaps it's a combination of operator error and Fuji's inferior focusing but I've decided before I put it any more $$$ with Fujifilm,
...Show more →

I love my couple of Fuji cameras, one of which being the XT5 and for all the things I do with them, I have zero problems with the autofocus, it's plenty fast and very rarely inaccurate. But, I'll be very quick to admit that the XT5 isn't a camera body for birding/sports. You can do those things with it, and I have done so, but it will take more effort, be a bit more difficult, and have less keepers than using a camera body more suited to the task.

I doubt the XT5/6/7/8 line will ever be an ideal camera for that type of photography -- that's not the type of photography the XT5 is being built to perform. If you're really into that then a different camera body would serve you better.

All cameras are a mix of compromises and I think they're a lot like garage tools. Each tool/camera has areas where it excels and areas where it doesn't.

From Fuji the only option (to me) is the XH2s and XF500 and that combo does work much better than a XT5 and you'll see a lot of successful bird photos with those two in the wildlife forums. With that said, Nikon/Sony/Canon/OM still all have better tools for birding/sports.





Jul 31, 2026 at 02:04 PM
gyoung143
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #20 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


Bruce Marriner wrote:
I love my couple of Fuji cameras, one of which being the XT5 and for all the things I do with them, I have zero problems with the autofocus, it's plenty fast and very rarely inaccurate. But, I'll be very quick to admit that the XT5 isn't a camera body for birding/sports. You can do those things with it, and I have done so, but it will take more effort, be a bit more difficult, and have less keepers than using a camera body more suited to the task.

I doubt the XT5/6/7/8 line will ever be an ideal
...Show more →

Yes, yet another person comes on here having bought the wrong camera model (for his extremely expensive lenses) and comes here to moan.
Meanwhile on another Fuji forum therearesome excellent BIFexamples taken with an Xt2......



Jul 31, 2026 at 02:39 PM
1       2       3       …       10              12       13       14       end






FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       10              12       13       14       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account