New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              6              11       12       end

Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

seaSharp

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

Craig Gillette wrote:
As much as I'd like one, I doubt we'll get a $2000 camera that is a direct alternative to the A9 series when it comes to say, putting it on a 200-600 for "reach" and speed.

Well there was a Sony not so long ago in a galaxy that looks awfully familiar that did exactly that sort of thing. And OM-1's are selling for about $2k and X-H2S's are $2.5k so it's not like no one is going there.

But unfortunately I have to agree with you that it's unlikely. But a wildlife/sports centric APS-C Sony body would be a lot of fun, and it's not impossible that someone in Sony corporate would have become a birder or something and start caring about someone besides TikTok'ers.

Jun 03, 2023 at 11:29 PM
liggy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

Come to think of it - I would consider a $3K 40mp stacked sensor baby A1 with that A7RV subject recognition. That might compete with the A9III though so it would probably never happen...

Jun 04, 2023 at 12:40 AM
bemei

p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

Gives hope for the next A7c with the better viewfinder and front scroll wheel?

Jun 04, 2023 at 06:42 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

Hi,
Can someone knowledgeable tell me the following:

On a6400/6600 and 70-350, an image taken at 350mm (525mm eq) is 24 megapixel. If i crop that image to achieve a 400mm/600 eq, how many megapixels i am left with?

Sorry for the detour, didnít want to open a new thread.

Thanks
Nde

Jun 04, 2023 at 09:56 AM
A.Y.
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

Edited on Aug 12, 2023 at 01:24 PM · View previous versions

Jun 04, 2023 at 11:48 AM
mebpenguin

p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

nandadevieast wrote:
Hi,
Can someone knowledgeable tell me the following:

On a6400/6600 and 70-350, an image taken at 350mm (525mm eq) is 24 megapixel. If i crop that image to achieve a 400mm/600 eq, how many megapixels i am left with?

Sorry for the detour, didnít want to open a new thread.

Thanks
Nde

The formula is Megapixels /(Crop Factor)^2.

In your case, the crop factor is 600/525 = 1.14

24 / 1.14^2 = 18.5 MP

Jun 04, 2023 at 12:10 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

Thank you !

Jun 04, 2023 at 12:18 PM
SpecFoto
• • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

-UPDATE-
Sony Addict has these specs posted regarding the new A6700 to be announced on July 12.

"Name: a6700
Sensor: 26mp (same FX30 sensor)
IBIS: 7 stops
Ai processor (same Sony ZV-E1 processor)
6k30p 10bit. 4k120 (1.19 crop). 4k120 will come in FW update along with it
3.69m dot viewfinder
2 SD/CF type A cards
The body will be a new design. It will still have the EVF on the left, but it will have a scroll wheel on the front under the shutter button. The grip is redesigned and more ergonomic. The body will be about 3mm deeper and 4mm taller.
Basically, it is going to be a stills version of the fx30. Due to the cost of the VF, shutter, and a few other things it is looking like the price will be $1999."

Some big improvement, most noticeable dual card slots, a front control dial, and a improved viewfinder. Personally I am not interested in an APS-C version body as I use my A7RIV in the APS-C mode when needed. But I do hope these same improvements come to the A7CII, that is on my list to have as a smaller body for use with my Sigma I series of all metal lenses. The lack of these 3 improved features were exactly why I did not buy the original, but kept my old A7III instead.

Edited on Jul 07, 2023 at 09:46 AM · View previous versions

Jul 07, 2023 at 08:54 AM
berimbolo
• • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

At that price point, I assume most people would prefer an A7IV?

Jul 07, 2023 at 08:59 AM
Justin0

p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

I think that's pretty cool, and a much needed improvement. Hopefully it has all the software of the current camera, like bird eye AF, etc.

I'd just be worried about the size. Currently I use an a6400 and an A7IV. I would consider switching to an a6700 for a crop sensor and then the A7RV for FF. But if the a6700 will be bigger than the a6600, I'm not sure about it since the whole reason I'm hanging onto the a6400 is because it's so tiny.

Jul 07, 2023 at 10:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mawz
• • • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

Was looking at this, but the body style misses the boat for me.

I don't mind the compact size for the lower-end bodies (it's actually nice for light carry), but the top-end APS-C really needs a body design that handles better with larger lenses.

If the A6700 was nothing more than the old A6600 sensor in an A7IV body/processing, I would have waited for it. Sony continues to miss the boat on a solid high-end APS-C body despite being in a position to parts-bin a competitive solution.

Even better would be the 26MP Stacked sensor in a A7IV body for ~$2200USD-$2500USD. We all know the X-H2s sensor is Sony-built and they could do that setup if they wanted to.

Personally, I bought the R7 instead. It is exactly what I'd like to have seen from Sony in the same price range (non-stacked SLR-style APS-C).

Jul 07, 2023 at 10:16 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

mawz wrote:
Was looking at this, but the body style misses the boat for me.

I don't mind the compact size for the lower-end bodies (it's actually nice for light carry), but the top-end APS-C really needs a body design that handles better with larger lenses.

If the A6700 was nothing more than the old A6600 sensor in an A7IV body/processing, I would have waited for it. Sony continues to miss the boat on a solid high-end APS-C body despite being in a position to parts-bin a competitive solution.

Even better would be the 26MP Stacked sensor in a A7IV body for ~$2200USD-$2500USD. We
...Show more

I'm hoping the expected A7CII will be the body that Sony puts a 26mp stacked sensor into, along with the other improvements (front wheel, LCD, EVF, autofocus AI, IBIS, 2 slots) that Sony has put in the A6700. If they kept it to 26mpix and kept the frame rate down, that would distinguish it from the AII or the A9III and make the A7CII a very desirable camera for non-pro, non-BIF, non-sports photographers--which is most of us.

I am interested in the A6700 as at least a placeholder toward the A7CII. The small size appeals strongly to me; my A1 is already larger than I want it to be. I think the A6700 would be fun as a first or second camera for travel, for taking along anywhere, and generally doing what the A7C has been outstanding at doing but with more features. The smaller sensor size may not matter much with current noise reduction software and provided you don't usually print larger than 16X20 or want to do extreme cropping.

The presumably improved quality of the sensor and its electronics in the A6700 should also advance the technical quality of the images produced by the camera.

Jul 07, 2023 at 10:36 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

chiron wrote:
I'm hoping the expected A7CII will be the body that Sony puts a 26mp stacked sensor into, along with the other improvements (front wheel, LCD, EVF, autofocus AI, IBIS, 2 slots) that Sony has put in the A6700. If they kept it to 26mpix and kept the frame rate down, that would distinguish it from the AII or the A9III and make the A7CII a very desirable camera for non-pro, non-BIF, non-sports photographers--which is most of us.

The A7CII is going to be an FF body, the 26MP stacked sensor is an APS-C sensor. So not going to happen.

Almost assuredly the A7CII will be the 33MP A7IV sensor in an A6700 body to make it essentially to the A7IV as the A7C was to the A7III.

The A7C series is Sony's lowest-end current FF body, it's not getting any major features that aren't in higher-end bodies already.

Jul 07, 2023 at 10:42 AM
TimCC
• •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

I'm happy to see Sony continue to develop the APS-C line but my first impression is that it isn't enough for me to consider upgrading my a6600 though that added dial does make it tempting. If they had put that 40MP sensor in there I probably would be picking one up on release.

Jul 07, 2023 at 11:53 AM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

Sony a6600 on 600 GM

Jul 07, 2023 at 01:11 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

mawz wrote:
The A7CII is going to be an FF body, the 26MP stacked sensor is an APS-C sensor. So not going to happen.

Almost assuredly the A7CII will be the 33MP A7IV sensor in an A6700 body to make it essentially to the A7IV as the A7C was to the A7III.

The A7C series is Sony's lowest-end current FF body, it's not getting any major features that aren't in higher-end bodies already.

Disappointing. I would actually change systems for a small full frame body with a stacked sensor and excellent autofocus and IBIS. At the present time, AFAIK, my A9 comes closest to those specs. It actually isn't that much larger than an A7C.

I would be very interested in a stacked sensor aps-c camera with other specs similarr to the A6700.

Edited on Jul 07, 2023 at 02:46 PM · View previous versions

Jul 07, 2023 at 02:42 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

In case people missed it SAR posted two photos of the camera showing the name and front wheel are true.
https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/first-leaked-images-of-the-new-sony-a6700/
Also he now says it wonít have the fully articulating and tilting screen like the A7RV.
He is saying less than XT-5 price is confirmed and XT-5 is $1699.

Jul 07, 2023 at 02:44 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

chiron wrote:
Disappointing. I would actually change systems for a small full frame body with a stacked sensor and excellent autofocus and IBIS. At the present time, AFAIK, my A9 comes closest to those specs. It actually isn't that much larger than an A7C.

I would be very interested in a stacked sensor aps-c camera with other specs similarr to the A6700.

What advantage are you trying to get from the stacked sensor?

It really only provides benefit to shooting fast action/high frame rates and in reducing rolling shutter for video. Outside of that a stacked sensor is mostly a negative (it costs DR and noise due to running at higher clock rates vs a non-stacked sensor, and is much more expensive to make).

For that reason I think Sony would be shooting themselves in the foot if they did an A9C (which is what a stacked sensor compact would have to be, to justify the cost related to the much more expensive sensor). I could see putting one in an A7SIV or FX3II though.

The A7CII will be Sony's cheapest current FF body and will be specified with that in mind. It will be just as much a parts-bin special as its predecessor.

Jul 07, 2023 at 02:58 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

mawz wrote:
What advantage are you trying to get from the stacked sensor?

It really only provides benefit to shooting fast action/high frame rates and in reducing rolling shutter for video. Outside of that a stacked sensor is mostly a negative (it costs DR and noise due to running at higher clock rates vs a non-stacked sensor, and is much more expensive to make).

For that reason I think Sony would be shooting themselves in the foot if they did an A9C (which is what a stacked sensor compact would have to be, to justify the cost related to the much more expensive
...Show more

Because of its fast readout, the stacked sensor also permits silent shutter under LED lights. This is a major way in which I use my cameras. It is the reason that I have not gotten an A7RV. It is why my two main cameras are an A1 and an A9. I also have a GFX100s without a stacked sensor that I use in appropriate circumstances.

Jul 07, 2023 at 03:15 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

chiron wrote:
Because of its fast readout, the stacked sensor also permits silent shutter under LED lights. This is a major way in which I use my cameras. It is the reason that I have not gotten an A7RV. It is why my two main cameras are an A1 and an A9. I also have a GFX100s without a stacked sensor that I use in appropriate circumstances.

That makes sense as a use case.

Jul 07, 2023 at 08:58 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.