1       2       3              5              11       12       end

Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

duncang
• • •
[X]
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

Daran wrote:
That last part rings true:-D

The front element captures all the light that is projected onto the sensor plane. A point on the sensor plane corresponds to a direction the light was coming from. If you reduce the front element size, less light gets projected and the image gets darker, not smaller. The projected image circle is usually limited by baffles (or otherwise by the size of elements behind the front element). Reasons to limit the image circle are the required size and weight of the inner elements and to reduce stray light (internal reflections).

PS: there are some ultra wide designs
...Show more

Of course your right, light from a given source is entering the lens at every point.

Jun 02, 2023 at 05:53 AM
ChrisMak
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

I would only be interested in the long rumored "mini A9" that by now should be a "mini A1mk2".

But as we all know, the camera manufacturers are firmly set on shaking the tree of full frame stacked sensor bodies as long as they can.

My only hope is that Canon will want to bring a Z8 competitor below its price and push down the ff stacked sensor price further, until a crop stacked sensor becomes a viable option for the big three, simply because they will sell many more bodies.

But truth be said, the A1 does all I need it to do, and more, and can be used for literally every shooting scenario, so the times of looking to upgrade or buy another camera are over for me.

Jun 02, 2023 at 07:32 AM
mebpenguin

p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

Iíve also been waiting for the mini A9/1 but at this point I donít think it will happen for a long time. Iíd be very interested in an a6700 if it has a readout speed around 16ms, giving it a usable e-shutter.

Jun 02, 2023 at 09:22 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

This maybe my second cam and get rid of my ZV-1. Have to see the real specs

Jun 02, 2023 at 09:59 AM
RT--
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

I'm interested, kind of. I assume it'll use the IMX571 sensor or a close "relative".

Jun 02, 2023 at 02:49 PM
mebpenguin

p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

I hope itís not that sensor. Only 1/19 second readout at 12bit means were taking about 53ms, which would make the e-shutter pretty useless.

RT-- wrote:
I'm interested, kind of. I assume it'll use the IMX571 sensor or a close "relative".

Jun 02, 2023 at 03:02 PM
gocolts
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

chez wrote:
A7R3ís are going for just over $1,000 on the B&S. Thatís still a great camera.

True, great combo of adequate MP & FPS for all-around use. Was happy with it as my only camera for years before being tempted by more MP & silent shutter.

Jun 02, 2023 at 04:27 PM
jwpstl
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

The A7r III has silent shutter and it works great. I use it 90% of the time.

gocolts wrote:
True, great combo of adequate MP & FPS for all-around use. Was happy with it as my only camera for years before being tempted by more MP & silent shutter.

Jun 02, 2023 at 04:40 PM
gocolts
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

jwpstl wrote:
The A7r III has silent shutter and it works great. I use it 90% of the time.

True, it has it. To clarify, was thinking about fast-action applications where the A9's & A1 can keep up with silent shutter.

Jun 02, 2023 at 05:13 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

gocolts wrote:
True, it has it. To clarify, was thinking about fast-action applications where the A9's & A1 can keep up with silent shutter.

Thatís where things need to be clarified. Silent shooting is not only used where fast action is concerned, it is used in many situations such as plays or weddings where a mechanical shutter would be a nuisance. The A7R3 silent shutter does just fine in these situations.

Jun 02, 2023 at 05:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mebpenguin

p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

Yes, good point. I'm focused on wildlife, so I need faster readout for fast action. I don't need A1/A9 performance, something in the 15-20ms range would be fine for me. Fuji has had this level of performance in the X-T4 generation, and the Canon R6 II and R5 also have this level of performance. I'd happily pay $2k for a Sony APS-C camera that has 15ms readout alongside the great Sony AF.

Jun 02, 2023 at 08:38 PM
maestrofilms
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

chez wrote:
Thatís where things need to be clarified. Silent shooting is not only used where fast action is concerned, it is used in many situations such as plays or weddings where a mechanical shutter would be a nuisance. The A7R3 silent shutter does just fine in these situations.

I think the point is that, for some, just fine isn't good enough.

Even for plays and weddings, a stacked sensor can help capture the perfect moment sometimes. Motion during events can cause issues and lights can cause banding. When you're doing paid work you can't afford to take that chance.

Jun 02, 2023 at 10:01 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

ChrisMak wrote:
I would only be interested in the long rumored "mini A9" that by now should be a "mini A1mk2".

But as we all know, the camera manufacturers are firmly set on shaking the tree of full frame stacked sensor bodies as long as they can.

My only hope is that Canon will want to bring a Z8 competitor below its price and push down the ff stacked sensor price further, until a crop stacked sensor becomes a viable option for the big three, simply because they will sell many more bodies.

But truth be said, the A1 does all I need it to
...Show more

Canon releasing an R5II with stacked sensor for less than Z8, and pigs might fly IMO. They would basically be killing the R3 in an instant. Canon never ever worried about the competition in the DLSR days. 5D's were light years behind the D700/D8xx for features and still cost more. It's just not in Canon's DNA to offer value like the Z8. You are basically getting the stacked sensor for free in the Z8. The only way can could do this is to cripple the camera very hard.

I would love to be wrong, but current form shows little has changed.

mebpenguin wrote:
Iíve also been waiting for the mini A9/1 but at this point I donít think it will happen for a long time. Iíd be very interested in an a6700 if it has a readout speed around 16ms, giving it a usable e-shutter.

R5 FF readout is ~1/60s and R6 II is possibly 1/70s from what I've read. An APS-C should be able to do ~1/90-1/100 in 12 bit at least in lossless compressed RAW. That would be very usable for E-shutter for a lot of action. That might tempt me.

BTW the A7sIII has a ~1/120s scan rate albeit for only 12MP, but still very good given it's 2.5 years old and non-stacked.

Jun 03, 2023 at 01:41 AM
TravelinBriNY
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

I think if this is a stacked sensor that can knock out 20 FPS it could be a great APC sports camera. Would be interesting for me to go with a FF camera with the 20-70 and a crop with the 70-350.

Jun 03, 2023 at 02:17 AM
40Driggs
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

They are at least getting closer to what I'm looking for with the front wheel and slightly larger body size. I would still prefer a similar form factor to the full frame bodies, but I would want it for wildlife instead of travel.

Jun 03, 2023 at 09:07 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

Uncle Chip wrote:
My understanding is that the exposure level from the m4/3 300/4 will be the same as FF 600/4, for depth of field and noise then itís equivalent to f8,
If you zoom in with a FF camera in post with the 300f4 to the same shot taken with 600f4 you will have the same exposure level, a crop or m4/3 is just the same as zooming in post, in fact the higher mp cameras give you the same exposure in crop mode

The exposure is the same for any lens with an f/4 aperture regardless of focal length (and if you ignore vignetting). That said you are exposing a much smaller area when use a M4/3rds camera (about a quarter of the area) so with an f/4 aperture and the same shutter speed only a quarter of the amount of light is hitting the sensor as an f/4 aperture at that shutter speed projected onto a full frame camera. So, at the same shutter speed any f/4 lens projected onto an M4/3rds sensor (or a full frame sensor cropped to that size) has about the same amount (i.e., photons, not brightness of the light) available to make the image as an f/8 projected onto a full frame sensor. Obviously the amount of light (i.e., photons) is the signal that is used to create an image, so an f/4 lens on M4/3rds has the same amount of signal (i.e., photons) to create an image as and f/8 lens on full frame if they are shot at the same shutter speed.

Jun 03, 2023 at 09:28 AM
jwpstl
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

The point is to be clear in what you are talking about. Silent Shutter is NOT the same as a stacked sensor. The latter affects the former but the A7r III has silent shutter and it works perfectly for me because 90% of the time Iím outdoors with non-moving subjects. And unlike my r2, itís still 14 bit in SS. Youíd think reading this forum the only types of photography involve moving subjects.

maestrofilms wrote:

Even for plays and weddings, a stacked sensor can help capture the perfect moment sometimes. Motion during events can cause issues and lights can cause banding. When you're doing paid work you can't afford to take that chance.

Jun 03, 2023 at 11:31 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

maestrofilms wrote:

Sure if I was a professional shooting all sorts of events, then Iíd get the appropriate gear. But most of my shooting is not paid work and Iíve shot theatre, musicals and weddings in Silent shutter mode with my A7R3 and had no issues.

You make it sound like itís impossible to shoot silent shutter with anything other than a stacked sensor which is total horseshit.

Jun 03, 2023 at 12:00 PM
maestrofilms
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

chez wrote:
You make it sound like itís impossible to shoot silent shutter with anything other than a stacked sensor which is total horseshit.

I said there can be problems, not that it was impossible.

Your incredible rudeness never ceases.

Jun 03, 2023 at 12:08 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

As much as I'd like one, I doubt we'll get a $2000 camera that is a direct alternative to the A9 series when it comes to say, putting it on a 200-600 for "reach" and speed.

Jun 03, 2023 at 01:55 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.