New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10              12       end

Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

Uncle Chip
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

I think the price tag is being overlooked when people are being underwhelmed, itís a lot of camera for the price,
30mp, 20fps, 2 card slots, hi res screen etc would see this over the 2k mark

Jul 13, 2023 at 10:11 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

Ship Date: Thu Aug 3

Jul 13, 2023 at 10:31 AM
genjy
• • •
p.11 #3 · p.11 #3 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

Uncle Chip wrote:
I think the price tag is being overlooked when people are being underwhelmed, itís a lot of camera for the price,
30mp, 20fps, 2 card slots, hi res screen etc would see this over the 2k mark

The Fuji X-T5 is only $1700. Better AF on the A6700 is nice, though.

Jul 13, 2023 at 10:43 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.11 #4 · p.11 #4 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

jaygould wrote:
Not unusable, but a bad user experience all-around.

Actually, in context, I meant the on-line previewers. See, I've had first an NEX6 and then an A6400, so with about 10 years of use of the cameras, I've developed a bit of a blind spot over most of the comments on the finder or missing dial. There are cameras out there with no finders and my vision and glasses are problematic with my dslrs and A7Riv, too.

Jul 13, 2023 at 11:43 AM
maestrofilms
• • •
p.11 #5 · p.11 #5 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

The viewfinder on the a6600 is very usable. It's a bit too small and a higher resolution would be very welcome, but checking critical focus is easy enough and it does it's job. I wish it were better, but I live with it.

The viewfinder on the A7C to me is completely useless, and if you want an eyecup for it you have to give up using the hotshoe. Even putting the viewfinder from the a6700 on the A7C II would be an upgrade.

Jul 13, 2023 at 12:02 PM
MARKFER
• •
p.11 #6 · p.11 #6 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

I use the viewfinder on the A7C, exclusively. Never once have I thought it is holding me back.

Jul 13, 2023 at 12:09 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.11 #7 · p.11 #7 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

I went to the NEX6 from a D7200 and it took a while to finally go all mirror-less and even longer to be able to afford to go ff but it was pretty clear that mirror-less was going to be huge. Video is another huge change. It's "new" (sort of) but the "YouTube" crowd, to a great extent, isn't burdened with knowing how much better FF is for everything.

Jul 13, 2023 at 12:36 PM
bluehawaii
• •
p.11 #8 · p.11 #8 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

I just watched Arthur R and Galer's clips posted in earlier the thread and they were good. Galer's in particular being mega helpful and contextual.

Sony supporting that is good I think: some serious added VFM from his teaching program if you invest in Sony and want some taylored factory supported assistance.

I don't see anything in the short term for Sony to gain from that other than being helpful which is good. And factory support like that is a great way to get cheap or free help with a camera system. Usually it is the best info available. I remember the guy who did the Lumix videos a few years back was great as well.

Jul 13, 2023 at 03:09 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.11 #9 · p.11 #9 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

How does one adjust exposure compensation on the A6700?

Jul 13, 2023 at 04:26 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.11 #10 · p.11 #10 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

You can make use of the FN dialog system and map in there for it but also there is a top dial on deck that you should be able to map to that but let me throw a curve ball. I never use exposouse compensation, I shoot RAW and we have plenty of DR to work with in post to make any adjustment. Sure if its a 5 stop thing than you may need it but our metering systems are so good I gave up pretty much its use. Sure it's nice to have but you can also recover with RAW . Im sure folks are going Guy is a sick bastard with that blurb honestly our cameras are not that far off.

Jul 13, 2023 at 05:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.11 #11 · p.11 #11 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

I can almost bet this dial can be mapped for it

Jul 13, 2023 at 05:37 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.11 #12 · p.11 #12 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

GMPhotography wrote:
You can make use of the FN dialog system and map in there for it but also there is a top dial on deck that you should be able to map to that but let me throw a curve ball. I never use exposouse compensation, I shoot RAW and we have plenty of DR to work with in post to make any adjustment. Sure if its a 5 stop thing than you may need it but our metering systems are so good I gave up pretty much its use. Sure it's nice to have but you can also recover with
...Show more

That is a very useful way to look at it. I'll experiment with that.

Jul 13, 2023 at 05:58 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.11 #13 · p.11 #13 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

GMPhotography wrote:
I can almost bet this dial can be mapped for it

Thank you. But then you lose that wheel for aperture control. I think your other solutions (RAW adjustment or the Fn menu) are better. I'd hate to lose that wheel for aperture control.

I wonder if the wheel underneath the mode dial, the one with the photo-video-S&Q settings, can be custom-programmed to exposure compensation? That dial seems such a waste to me. I would re-program it in an instant if that can be done.

Jul 13, 2023 at 06:02 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.11 #14 · p.11 #14 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

Well it comes down to what options make the most sense per individual. We may have to wait for like Mark Galer to get throw the mapping of the camera. I can see its looks very much like the setup for the A7RV so we have to see what carries over or not. Granted this is the cheaper camera so until in our hands we just don't know yet.

Jul 13, 2023 at 06:06 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.11 #15 · p.11 #15 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

They also added that front dial which could be the aperture.

Jul 13, 2023 at 06:07 PM
sjobesl

p.11 #16 · p.11 #16 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

On the 6600 the top dial can be set to ap.,ex., or iso, and can easily be set to any with a programmable button. Hit the button and the dial is changed to the new programmed function. Exposure compensation is done on the rear dial.

Jul 13, 2023 at 06:23 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.11 #17 · p.11 #17 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

GMPhotography wrote:
Well it comes down to what options make the most sense per individual. We may have to wait for like Mark Galer to get throw the mapping of the camera. I can see its looks very much like the setup for the A7RV so we have to see what carries over or not. Granted this is the cheaper camera so until in our hands we just don't know yet.

Yes, it is individual. For me, I'm shooting in manual with AUTO ISO, the front dial is for shutter speed, the top/rear thumb dial is for aperture, and the third dial should be for exposure compensation. ISO is on the back wheel.

Jul 13, 2023 at 06:34 PM
maestrofilms
• • •
p.11 #18 · p.11 #18 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

chiron wrote:
Yes, it is individual. For me, I'm shooting in manual with AUTO ISO, the front dial is for shutter speed, the top/rear thumb dial is for aperture, and the third dial should be for exposure compensation. ISO is on the back wheel.

Since you use auto ISO, change the rear wheel to exposure compensation. You can also use the same wheel for ISO by pressing the right side of the wheel first. So, the rear wheel serves dual functions. That's how I use all my cameras that have a front dial.

I used to ride the exposure compensation all the time, but now like Guy, I hardly use it ever. With ISO invariant sensors, as long as you're within a couple stops, you're fine. And the cameras rarely, if ever, miss by that much.

Jul 13, 2023 at 06:41 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.11 #19 · p.11 #19 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

Yea I lean to front dial as aperture and rear as shutter. Iím in A mode mostly

Different styles . I go manual mode on all flash stuff and in shows Iím in manual shutter and adjust aperture

ISO for me is rear dial. I use AEL to go manual focus

My one worry is no joy stick for AF points but we can use the dial sides

Jul 13, 2023 at 06:48 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.11 #20 · p.11 #20 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

Biggest key is both cams you may have try to set up very close to each other. Make life as simple as you can. Less confusion

Jul 13, 2023 at 06:51 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.