FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              11       12       end

Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor
The Sony a6700 represents Sony's most recent offering in the enthusiast-level APS-C mirrorless camera category. Equipped with a 26MP BSI CMOS sensor and image stabilization, this camera provides a wide range of features for both still photography and video recording.

Pre-Order at B&H Photo

Sony a6700 Camera

Sony a6700 Mirrorless Camera with 16-50mm Lens

Sony a6700 Mirrorless Camera with 18-135mm Lens

Main Features:
  1. 26MP BSI CMOS APS-C sensor
  2. Bionz XR processor and dedicated "AI Processing Engine"
  3. AF tracking with subject recognition, 759 AF points with 93% coverage
  4. 11 fps shooting with mech or electronic shutter
  5. Lossless Raw compression
  6. HEIF and HLG Still Image modes
  7. 4K up to 60p from 6K capture
  8. 4K/120 from 1.58x crop
  9. 10-bit video with 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 color
  10. S-Cinetone, S-Log3 and HLG profiles
  11. USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10Gbps) output
  12. 2x2 MIMO Wi-Fi
  13. UVC/UAC streaming up to 4K/30

Starting from late July 2023, the Sony a6700 will be offered at different price points: $1399 for the body only, $1499 when bundled with the 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS power zoom lens, and $1799 when paired with the 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens.

What's new compared to previous models?

BSI CMOS Sensor with 26 Megapixels
The a6700 features a BSI CMOS APS-C sensor, which is believed to be the same sensor used in Sony's FX30 cinema camera. The sensor boasts autofocus (AF) points spread across a majority of its area, resulting in an AF system that covers 93% of the image area. This is an improvement from the previous generation of Sony APS-C cameras, which covered 84% of the image area.

Front Dial
One of the notable advancements in the a6700 camera is the addition of a second command dial on the front, which marks a significant change in Sony's a6000 series. This allows users to control the camera with both their forefinger and thumb, instead of relying solely on thumb-controlled dials. This update brings the camera in line with the Sony a7 series.

New Processor
Another significant hardware enhancement is the utilization of the latest Bionz XR processor, along with a dedicated processor designed to handle complex 'AI' algorithms generated by machine learning. This processor combination was previously seen in Sony's ZV-E1 full-frame vlogging camera, signifying a major advancement for the APS-C series.

With this processor setup, the a6700 gains the ability to provide subject recognition AF modes and inherits the vlogging functions of the ZV-E1. These functions allow for subject recognition, cropping, and real-time interpolation of video to the desired output resolution.

In addition to the performance boost from increased processing power, the shift to a newer generation of processor incorporates all the other features and improvements Sony has introduced since the a6600. This includes a significantly redesigned and enhanced menu system, the option to record losslessly compressed Raw files, and the capability to capture 10-bit video. The latter offers more flexibility in terms of Log footage and full HLG HDR video.

Moreover, the a6700 supports shooting 10-bit HLG stills in the HEIF format, along with non-HDR HEIFs in various profiles.

Jul 12, 2023 at 12:18 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

Maybe we have all been burned too many times with SAR's "high end APS-C" camera rumors over the past 5 years. I hadn't seen anyone post on this yet. SAR has been posting rumored specs for a while now. Now is saying July 12th is confirmed announcement date.

Here is his latest rumor spec sheet from "new sources"....all his trusted sources can confirm is that a high end APS-C is coming in July:

Name: a6700
Sensor: 26mp (same FX30 sensor).
IBIS: 7 stops
Ai processor (same Sony ZV-E1 processor)
6k30p 10bit. 4k120 (1.19 crop). 4k120 will come in FW update along with it
3.69m dot viewfinder
2 SD/CF type A cards
The body will be a new design. It will still have the evf on the left, but it will have a scroll wheel on the front under the shutter button. The grip is redesigned and more ergonomic. The body will be about 3mm deeper and 4mm taller.
Basically it is going to be a stills version of the fx30. Due to the cost of the VF, shutter and a few other things it is looking like the price will be $1999. Should be good value.

As per the title....anyone care??

May 31, 2023 at 09:52 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

I think it's good for the industry but not sure it would fit me per se but I will say it could be a travel kit too. I would prefer 33mpx though. Right now I would own it instead of my shit hit the fan cam the ZV-1

May 31, 2023 at 10:01 AM
TGPhotography
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

Stacked sensor? I’d be very interested if the electronic rolling shutter is well controlled for stills and video and it can do 4k120 video.

I don’t even bother with the SAR site.

May 31, 2023 at 10:05 AM
davev
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

I had hopes for a crop camera with around 30mp, the viewfinder where it belongs, in the middle,
and dreamed of a stacked sensor.

I will not buy another camera with the viewfinder to the side.
It throws me off every time I use the 6400 with long lenses.

2K for this camera is a joke.

May 31, 2023 at 10:07 AM
A.Y.
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

Edited on Aug 12, 2023 at 01:24 PM · View previous versions

May 31, 2023 at 10:39 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

TGPhotography wrote:
Stacked sensor? I’d be very interested if the electronic rolling shutter is well controlled for stills and video and it can do 4k120 video.

I don’t even bother with the SAR site.

Not stacked as it is the same 26MP sensor in FX30.

I think if you read up on FX30 reviews you will get an idea on what rolling shutter is like but then again it will likely be crippled for some video features compared to FX30.

May 31, 2023 at 10:47 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

I'm just keeping an eye on this camera as an option as a backup camera to my A1 that won't cost me a fortune.

I need to read up on what the sensor scan rate is on the FX30 to get an idea if this will be possible to shoot in ES for action or like the A7RV will be a MS only camera. I would think being a crop sensor it can scan faster than an A7RV.

I would much rather Sony did a camera as Dave suggests with an A7 type body (center EVF, good controls) and a high MP stacked sensor. But I don't think that is going to every happen.

May 31, 2023 at 10:50 AM
maestrofilms
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

I was angry when the a6600 was announced, thought it was a lousy upgrade. But it turned out to be a fabulous performing camera that I've taken all over the place. So I will reserve judgment this time.

The front wheel will be a welcome addition. The better viewfinder will be nice. Like others, I had dreamed of a crop body with more megapixels and a stacked sensor. That really might be my dream camera. With noise reduction so good these days, it would seriously make me consider only shooting crop.

May 31, 2023 at 10:52 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

arbitrage wrote:
I'm just keeping an eye on this camera as an option as a backup camera to my A1 that won't cost me a fortune.

I need to read up on what the sensor scan rate is on the FX30 to get an idea if this will be possible to shoot in ES for action or like the A7RV will be a MS only camera. I would think being a crop sensor it can scan faster than an A7RV.

I would much rather Sony did a camera as Dave suggests with an A7 type body (center EVF, good controls) and a high MP
...Show more

One benefit of Apsc is small and compact so making the apsc camera the same form factor of the A7 series camera defeats one of the big advantages. My A6000 fits into my pack without really taking up any space or weight…exactly what a backup camera should be.

May 31, 2023 at 11:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jwpstl
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

davev wrote:
I will not buy another camera with the viewfinder to the side.

I'd like to have a Sony APS-C camera but this is the one thing preventing me from buying a Sony. I use my left eye with viewfinders and the location on the left on Sony's APS-C just doesn't work for me. It's a deal breaker.

May 31, 2023 at 11:12 AM
berimbolo
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

The scan rates for the FX30 (ms):

4K/120 - 8.1
4K/60 - 16.1
4K/24 - 16.1

From: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-fx30-initial-review

May 31, 2023 at 11:12 AM
genjy
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

jwpstl wrote:
I'd like to have a Sony APS-C camera but this is the one thing preventing me from buying a Sony. I use my left eye with viewfinders and the location on the left on Sony's APS-C just doesn't work for me. It's a deal breaker.

Interesting. I am left eye dominant too and prefer offset viewfinders. SLR style has always felt a bit off balance to me.

May 31, 2023 at 11:25 AM
liggy
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

No interest. Maybe in a stacked sensor super fast model with 40mp but I don’t like the A6xx form factor at all. A baby A1/ A9 would interest me.

Edited on May 31, 2023 at 11:28 AM · View previous versions

May 31, 2023 at 11:27 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

chez wrote:
One benefit of Apsc is small and compact so making the apsc camera the same form factor of the A7 series camera defeats one of the big advantages. My A6000 fits into my pack without really taking up any space or weight…exactly what a backup camera should be.

I totally get that and I think Sony would still have a few A6XXX bodies in the line to meet the compact needs.

This hypothetical "A7000" as we've all called it over the years would be in addition to be like a mirrorless 7DII or D500 type camera. High end, stacked sensor with higher pixel density than even the A7RV and in a bigger, more ergonomic body to shoot wildlife with big lenses. Not aimed at compact, do-all, travel type body. Sony would still have those around in the A6XXX series.

May 31, 2023 at 11:27 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

berimbolo wrote:
The scan rates for the FX30 (ms):

4K/120 - 8.1
4K/60 - 16.1
4K/24 - 16.1

From: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-fx30-initial-review

Thanks....I wonder how those would translate to stills. On Sony A1 the stills scan rate has no relation to the video one. Video is many times slower than the 1/260s (3.8?) stills scan rate.

May 31, 2023 at 11:29 AM
berimbolo
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

arbitrage wrote:
Thanks....I wonder how those would translate to stills. On Sony A1 the stills scan rate has no relation to the video one. Video is many times slower than the 1/260s (3.8?) stills scan rate.

I did a quick search for something on stills, but couldn't find anything. I would love if Sony released an APSC body with a stacked sensor.

May 31, 2023 at 11:33 AM
Uncle Chip
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

arbitrage wrote:
This hypothetical "A7000" as we've all called it over the years would be in addition to be like a mirrorless 7DII or D500 type camera. High end, stacked sensor with higher pixel density than even the A7RV and in a bigger, more ergonomic body to shoot wildlife with big lenses. Not aimed at compact, do-all, travel type body. Sony would still have those around in the A6XXX series.

Something I have wondered about is lenses for said A7000, if you look at the 4/3 bodies and lenses they are designed for the sensor size, making equivalent fl lenses tiny in comparison, using a crop body with FF glass waists half the light, you would think they could make a focusing adapter that gives you that stop back, or am I talking rubbish?

May 31, 2023 at 11:44 AM
InFocus2014
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

jwpstl wrote:

I’m also left eye dominant and glad to hear I am not alone. I purchased the A6000 when it was released, some years ago, and quickly tired of skin oils from my nose smearing the screen.

May 31, 2023 at 11:57 AM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Official: New Sony A6700 camera with 26MP BSI CMOS sensor

I have a more reliable source of Sony rumors . . .

May 31, 2023 at 12:18 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.