Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              6              55       56       end

Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

teraflame
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Charlie N wrote:
were they expecting A1 performance in a $4K body?

This is a big upgrade over the R4, even if evolutionary.

Big? not quite sure, just quality of life things. Had they improved the electronic shutter, that would be big.

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:16 PM
Dave Sanders
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Douglas L wrote:
If the A7RV could shoot 15 FPS I might have been interested in getting one to replace one of my A1s. I do like the new bulb mode and the focus bracketing, hopefully these will get added to the A1 in the next FW update.

I'm guessing Sony wasn't trying to replace your A1 for a lot less money...

EDIT: Bulb mode...this is a massive improvement for me. I've been calling for this for soooooo long.

Edited on Oct 26, 2022 at 12:20 PM · View previous versions

saaketham
• • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Looks good ... like the flip-out/tiltable LCD design - best of both worlds

gocolts
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

I've had every "R" version since the 1st, and even if I hadn't just picked up an A1 (for under $5k off the B&S boards) this one would still be a pass for me. I wouldn't use the additional features. Some are saying it's similar to the R2 to R3 upgrade, but that upgrade added a buffer that could handle action shooting way over the R2, which I utilized. The R4 then brought more resolution and a body with more convenient buttons (to me).

The other question is...you can pick up R4's in good shape for around half of this...but I guess if these new features are things you've been waiting for, it's worth the price.

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:18 PM
Dave Sanders
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

gocolts wrote:
I've had every "R" version since the 1st, and even if I hadn't just picked up an A1 (for under $5k off the B&S boards) this one would still be a pass for me. I wouldn't use the additional features. Some are saying it's similar to the R2 to R3 upgrade, but that upgrade added a buffer that could handle action shooting way over the R2, which I utilized. The R4 then brought more resolution and a body with more convenient buttons (to me).

The other question is...you can pick up R4's in good shape for around half of this...but
...Show more

Interesting, as an RII user who got an RIII...I sold the RIII. For my shooting, there was very little value added, apart from the battery. For me, the RIV wasn't enough to make me make the jump, but the RV likely is. Gotta start saving those pennies! Wait, we don't use those anymore...nickels and dimes?

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:21 PM
JayPhoto1
• •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

B&H is showing ďEst. Ship Date: Tue Dec 6Ē

DFason wrote:
Did anyone catch when they expect to ship?

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:30 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

DFason wrote:
Did anyone catch when they expect to ship?

December

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:30 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

AGeoJO wrote:
The A7r V is geared more towards landscape and studio photographers (duh). The A1 is still the current reigning top dog as the do-all or universal camera. I am staying put until the A1 II is introduced.

Yea but 11 mpx difference does not make it a better landscape image either. I agree a A1 version II might get me off my butt to buy.

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:34 PM
Justin Stone
• • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Edited on Oct 26, 2022 at 12:47 PM · View previous versions

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:45 PM
aCuria
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Sony added a bunch of features that we really would like to see in all new bodies moving forward

I think they are adding the right features and improvements, it does feel incremental though

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Justin Stone
• • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Probably, but I watched Gerald Undone's video which is 95% videocentric content and he's not particularly glowing about it either. There's improvements for sure but the binning with multiple crop factors challenges are real. Seems like the pros you're referencing would be better off with an a1 for hybrid. And maybe everyone would be better off with an fx30 or fx3 for video in a hybrid form factor?

timgangloff wrote:
I think what everyone here is missing is that it has significant video upgrades and while maybe not as intriguing for most in this photo centric forum, I think a lot of hybrid shooters will want this camera for these significant upgrades.

And also missing in this discussion and mediocre response from some here is that a very significant segment of Sony users are hybrid shooters. Last few weeks in the media room at University of Tennessee football stadium I saw a significant number of Sony shooters, probably nearly equal to the number of Canon or Nikon shooters. And many
...Show more

Edited on Oct 26, 2022 at 12:48 PM · View previous versions

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:46 PM
raminolta
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Active FM members are a certain crowd of (mainly) still shooters who are gear oriented towards certain features such as super fast AF tracking, super high fps, higher resolution sensor, etc.. A1 certainly has most of these advantages over A7rv but for those who don't run after fast moving subjects (read most users), the A1 advantages are so few. For the rest of us, A7rv proves to be a wiser buy not only because it is still US$2600 less expensive than A1 but also because it has certain new features that A1 is lacking such as focus bracketing and motion correction pixel shift . Overall improvements (over previous A7r models) are welcome:

- Improved AI AF even if it isn't the best in the market ( not an A1).
- Better Video specs.
- Improved IS (in both still and video).
- Overall, a faster, more responsive camera: faster card reading, faster connection speeds, faster user interface (to be verified).
- Bulb mode.
- Improved user interface, particularly the touch interface.
- Improved LCD: higher resolution in a fully articulating yet tilting screen (to keep both camps happy ).
- Improved EVF: 9.44M-dot 0.9x.
- Many additional features here and there: focus bracketing, motion correction pixel shift, files size options, etc..

Not only, does it not seem to have any shortcoming compared to the competition (Canon R5, etc.) but also it has some advantages. Yet, it is not more expensive than the competition (same price as Canon R5). Overall, I think the Sony ecosystem is definitely a better option compared to the competition thanks to the open platform which makes all those wonderful yet inexpensive third party lenses available to Sony shooters. A7r v makes sure camera bodies have no shortcomings in comparison either.

Edited on Oct 28, 2022 at 12:08 PM · View previous versions

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:46 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Very nice to finally see Focus Bracketing! It is not a camera that ignite instant GAS like the A1 for me, but it would be a very nice upgrade from A7r3. Hoping that Sony will cook up something exciting on the sensor / image quality side with the next version of the A7r series although that will probably be 3 years out in the future.

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:47 PM
Marshall Alsup
• •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Fred Miranda wrote:
Yes, there are some nice new features, especially in regards to AF tracking and IBIS. Finally focus bracketing!

Who is getting one? :-)

I am primarily a landscape and time lapse shooter, but I also do some video of landscape and family. I currently use an A7RIVa for landscape, and the A7IV for time lapse and video. I think both are excellent.

I am very excited about the the A7RV and certainly ordering one! It addresses a ton of things I wanted.

Having the faster CFExpress A cards will hopefully mean I can shoot time lapse with a shorter interval and the crazy buffer can absorb the frame buildup. It is not really currently possible to shoot 1 or 2 second intervals on the A7RIVa because of how slow it writes to the cards. Hopefully, this card speed and new processor will fix the slow write speed for general shooting too. It is annoying to have to wait for that buffer to clear on the A7RIVa.

The new mode dial is great. I love having separate settings for video and photo as I do on the A7IV. Now that comes to the A7RV which means when I only bring one camera, I'll have an easier time recording video without changing several settings first. Additionally, all the new video features will be fantastic. Having 8k will be nice in the landscape videos and having 10bit in general will be nice too.

I LOVE the new articulated screen. It seems to be exactly what I wanted. The flippy screen on my A7IV is nice for certain video applications but its a hassle for tripod based landscape work since you can't both pop out the screen and use an L-Bracket. On the A7IV, using the screen in portrait orientation, low to the ground, is hard because of not being able to use an L-Bracket. Now, both can be done. This is so huge for portrait orientated landscape shots, which is something that is common when trying to frame a foreground subject.

The EVF in the A7RIVa is already good IMO, but I hope the new one will be as good as people say. I haven't been able to look through one with an A1 or A7SIII yet.

Focus bracketing will be great for the rare macro work I do. I used it occasionally on my Z7 before I switched to Sony (I was a long time Nikon shooter) and found it useful. This is a small thing, but I appreciate it.

A wildcard is the improved pixel shift. I wonder if this can be used outdoors (wind movement?). I've always thought this was a cool feature, but not really useable at a practical level. I'm hoping for the best here.

The camera isn't perfect, I think its expensive and the slow sensor readout sucks, but can be worked around in the kinds of things I do. I'd also like a faster frame rate. The CFExpress cards are ridiculously expensive. I'm so glad more companies are making them now and the prices are hopefully going to drop.

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:56 PM
gocolts
• • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Dave Sanders wrote:
Interesting, as an RII user who got an RIII...I sold the RIII. For my shooting, there was very little value added, apart from the battery. For me, the RIV wasn't enough to make me make the jump, but the RV likely is. Gotta start saving those pennies! Wait, we don't use those anymore...nickels and dimes?

Definitely shooter-specific. My R's saw use as a little of everything, including sports, so the upgrade to the RIII made sense. Same reason I eventually sold my R4 & A9 for an A1. Glad it's a good upgrade for what you shoot.

Oct 26, 2022 at 01:08 PM
Dultimate
• •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

I'll be getting one. I'll sell my 7IV to absorb some of the cost, but it has all of the things that I like about the 7IV and then some.

The increased AF modes, tilt/swivel screen, better EVF, focus bracketing, bulb mode plus higher MP and increased IBIS (even if I don't know if it's working or not) justifies the cost differential in my book.

Oct 26, 2022 at 01:12 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

molson wrote:
Remind me again, which cameras do in-camera RAW focus stacks?

I'm putting my OM-1 up for sale soon, if you're interested - I ordered an A7R V yesterday. If I can sell the OM-1 and my A7R IVa that should cover the cost of the new camera...

Note I said nothing about in-camera RAW stacking, just in-camera stacking. I'm good with in-camera JPEG/HEIC with computer RAW stacking that does not depend on a specific app (ie don't tie me to Imaging Edge).

As to the OM-1, I've not decided what I'll do there yet. I really miss the 12-40 Pro, but I know I'll miss the low-light capability and DR of the RIV.

Oct 26, 2022 at 01:16 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Justin Stone wrote:
Probably, but I watched Gerald Undone's video which is 95% videocentric content and he's not particularly glowing about it either. There's improvements for sure but the binning with multiple crop factors challenges are real. Seems like the pros you're referencing would be better off with an a1 for hybrid. And maybe everyone would be better off with an fx30 or fx3 for video in a hybrid form factor?

Well near the end he did say "it's probably shaping up to be my favorite photo camera of all time" except for maybe the A1 and when he factors in the price difference, "it wins by a mile."

I'd suggest that's pretty high praise. He does go on to say it's not as good as the a1 and more expensive then the a74, but it's "technically excellent" and he personally "loves it." I'd suggest your "not glowing" remark is a bit harsher than what his summation. Yes, most pro's would probably love the A1 instead, but for many, it's not in the budget. And the FX series...well I've never seen one on a football or basketball sideline. They are much too video centric for hybrid shooters.

Oct 26, 2022 at 01:17 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Well now I see how Sony will get me to buy a Sony A1 II - that articulating rear screen and DoF bracketing. I assume they won't give us the second DoF bracketing feature in a firmware update even though they totally could.

Hard pass on the A7R5, but maybe we'll see some of this on the next A1 II. Will be attractive to me.

Oct 26, 2022 at 01:18 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

So we really have few details but a few question marks stand out Pixel Shift correction is in Post if Iím reading correctly so what makes it special if the IV can do it then go to post. Whatís in the V that will do this only

Focus bracketing this one has me . So letís say you setup from near and far than hit the button and wham is goes but outside the box in software. Can we not do manual focused images and just stick that in the software.

I guess the real question on both of these is we do it today in software whatís the difference with the body that makes it possible.

Maybe Iím missing something but Iím the king of a workaround. Where really are the handcuffs here that are stopping me. This part has yet to be explained but it keeps smelling of software and that would mean to me that we could be the engine here not the camera

Oct 26, 2022 at 01:18 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.