Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              54              56       end

Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

lensfan
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.55 #1 · p.55 #1 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

One thing I will be really missing on MK5 compared to A1 is fast readout speed. 50GM 1.2 showed me how slow the a7r 60Mpix sensor is with all the clarity.

May 27, 2023 at 08:23 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.55 #2 · p.55 #2 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

One of the benefits for me for never having shot the a1.....

lensfan wrote:
One thing I will be really missing on MK5 compared to A1 is fast readout speed. 50GM 1.2 showed me how slow the a7r 60Mpix sensor is with all the clarity.

May 27, 2023 at 09:17 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.55 #3 · p.55 #3 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Sorry if this was already answered in here somewhere...

If you shoot in an aspect ration other than 3:2 in RAW format, does the file retain the entire 3:2 image?

I.e. If I shoot something in square (1:1) format, can I get back that cropped area in post processing?

My old Olympus EM1.2 works this way, and I really like it. I can shoot in whatever aspect ratio I want, and the EVF shows that aspect ratio but if I open the crop tool in the RAW file you can see the original uncropped image.

May 28, 2023 at 12:08 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.55 #4 · p.55 #4 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

formula4speed wrote:
Sorry if this was already answered in here somewhere...

If you shoot in an aspect ration other than 3:2 in RAW format, does the file retain the entire 3:2 image?

I.e. If I shoot something in square (1:1) format, can I get back that cropped area in post processing?

My old Olympus EM1.2 works this way, and I really like it. I can shoot in whatever aspect ratio I want, and the EVF shows that aspect ratio but if I open the crop tool in the RAW file you can see the original uncropped image.

The sensor of the A7r V is in a rectangular format. I am not 100% sure but I believe that of the Olympus is the same. So, regardless of the camera you use, the saved files will be in that format although it may show you a square format but it is actually cropped on both sides to give you the appearance that it was square. The 61MP sensor of the A7r V though definitely gives you a lot of cropping ability. From time to time, I crop and create a vertical format from the original horizontal format.

May 28, 2023 at 12:28 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.55 #5 · p.55 #5 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Perhaps I'm not explaining well.

Olympus is a native 4:3 aspect ratio, but I shoot in 3:2 aspect ratio, which essentially crops a bit off the top and bottom. When looking in the EVF, I see the 3:2 cropped aspect ratio, when I download the image I see the cropped image as well.

However (this is where it gets fun) if I select the Crop Tool in my RAW editor (Adobe) I can see the full 4:3 image. So if I want to keep the 3:2 image I shot, I don't need to do anything. But if I accidentally clip something important at the top or bottom of my image, I can very easily get that information back when I process the image.

I'd actually love to try shooting in a square format, but it would be cool if I could get those pixels back after the fact if the situation calls for it. That's one of the few reasons a high resolution sensor would appeal to me.

May 28, 2023 at 02:32 PM
Dultimate
• •
p.55 #6 · p.55 #6 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

I understand what you mean. I used this early in the year and no, it doesn't allow you to recover the missing pixels in the photo. WYSIWYG in the file. Outside of the cropped data cannot be retrieved.
formula4speed wrote:
Perhaps I'm not explaining well.

Olympus is a native 4:3 aspect ratio, but I shoot in 3:2 aspect ratio, which essentially crops a bit off the top and bottom. When looking in the EVF, I see the 3:2 cropped aspect ratio, when I download the image I see the cropped image as well.

However (this is where it gets fun) if I select the Crop Tool in my RAW editor (Adobe) I can see the full 4:3 image. So if I want to keep the 3:2 image I shot, I don't need to do anything. But if I accidentally clip something important
...Show more

May 28, 2023 at 06:14 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.55 #7 · p.55 #7 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Bummer, but thanks for confirming.

Can always crop after the fact, but it was a nice little quality of life thing that I enjoyed with the Olympus.

May 28, 2023 at 06:48 PM
Poefolk
• •
p.55 #8 · p.55 #8 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

formula4speed wrote:
Bummer, but thanks for confirming.

Can always crop after the fact, but it was a nice little quality of life thing that I enjoyed with the Olympus.

I'm pretty sure the RAW file retains the entire image.

Nikon throws away the unused pixels, but Sony keeps the full RAW image when shooting in different aspect ratios.

May 29, 2023 at 07:30 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.55 #9 · p.55 #9 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Poefolk wrote:
I'm pretty sure the RAW file retains the entire image.

Nikon throws away the unused pixels, but Sony keeps the full RAW image when shooting in different aspect ratios.

Yes, you can uncrop the image using the cropping tool in LR for example...

May 29, 2023 at 08:55 AM
lensfan
• • •
p.55 #10 · p.55 #10 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

First impression vs version IV:
+ Overall faster performance, feels like a more modern camera
+ Noticeably snappier autofocus, incl. third-party lens
+ Much bigger EVF!! Not being talked about enough
+ Obvious improvements to IBIS
+ I feel like the handle is a bit larger and more comfortable to hold but not 100% sure
- Cheaper plastic and buttons
- Feels a bit hollow

I expect it to be a more pleasant camera to use considering all the meaningful improvements above. EVF is probably my favorite so far.

May 31, 2023 at 04:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ymphoto

p.55 #11 · p.55 #11 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Do you mean the A7R V feels more plasticky than the A7R IV? is the body all metal or a mixture of metal and plastic?

May 31, 2023 at 05:19 PM
lensfan
• • •
p.55 #12 · p.55 #12 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

ymphoto wrote:
Do you mean the A7R V feels more plasticky than the A7R IV? is the body all metal or a mixture of metal and plastic?

Plastic is very similar, I'm not sure if they are actually different. But I can see that IV has more texture. Version V is bigger, has more volume - maybe this adds a bit to the feeling that IV is a bit more sturdy. Some of the dials and shutter button on my V feels a bit more loose.

May 31, 2023 at 05:32 PM
lensfan
• • •
p.55 #13 · p.55 #13 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Also, feels like V has less noise compared to IV. I have not properly tested that - maybe someone can confirm?

May 31, 2023 at 05:46 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.55 #14 · p.55 #14 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

DPReview said it had slightly more, but it's probably within a margin of error....

lensfan wrote:
Also, feels like V has less noise compared to IV. I have not properly tested that - maybe someone can confirm?

May 31, 2023 at 06:18 PM
lensfan
• • •
p.55 #15 · p.55 #15 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

tsdevine wrote:
DPReview said it had slightly more, but it's probably within a margin of error....

As you said, wake from sleep with GM lens is very quick 1s or below. This is also much appreciated.
With Samyang 1.8/135 it takes more time to wake up but autofocus definitely works better vs IV.

May 31, 2023 at 06:28 PM
Eruditass
• • •
p.55 #16 · p.55 #16 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Am I misremembering or did they change the the metal part of the hotshoe lip? I thought I remember all black on my A7R4, but on my A7R5 it's not, it has a rough unpainted/cut texture

<removed oversized image without highlighting region of inquiry>

Edited on Oct 25, 2023 at 09:04 PM · View previous versions

Oct 25, 2023 at 08:18 PM
tschopp
• • •
p.55 #17 · p.55 #17 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Eruditass wrote:
Am I misremembering or did they change the the metal part of the hotshoe lip? I thought I remember all black on my A7R4, but on my A7R5 it's not, it has a rough unpainted/cut texture

https://i.imgur.com/WUcVGFQ.jpg

My hot shoe is tighter than the Riv.

Oct 25, 2023 at 08:53 PM
Eruditass
• • •
p.55 #18 · p.55 #18 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

tschopp wrote:
My hot shoe is tighter than the Riv.

Sorry, I mean specifically this lighter colored region, did this just change on the R V? So did your R IV have just painted black? I sold my non-a A7R IV version a week ago but didn't remember this, was just curious about the change.

Oct 25, 2023 at 09:02 PM
tonychen
• •
p.55 #19 · p.55 #19 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Are your camera bought Brand new or used? In the old days, lots of people manually remove the black coating from Sony hotshoe so that regular flash can work on Sony body. Removing the coating just makes a direct electrical contact. Not sure if it's the case here.

Eruditass wrote:
Sorry, I mean specifically this lighter colored region, did this just change on the R V? So did your R IV have just painted black? I sold my non-a A7R IV version a week ago but didn't remember this, was just curious about the change.

https://i.imgur.com/VmCAlrb.jpg

Oct 26, 2023 at 11:34 AM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.55 #20 · p.55 #20 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Mine is that way too.....but I really, really, really had to look closely. My "bought near release" a7R III is the same.

Eruditass wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/VmCAlrb.jpg

Oct 26, 2023 at 12:06 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.