A few photos of my son during our bike ride. I was having fun at the park using a low shutterspeed to try to get some movement blur while riding around the merry go round.
Folks that have this lens-- is the rendering as nice as it looks in a lot of these? Or are you all just an excellent bunch of photographers?
I'm no longer shooting professionally but the RF 50L stopped down to about f/1.8 is my favorite rendering lens ever. On the other hand, now that I'm doing more informal family sessions the versatility of the 28-70 range looks amazing. Anyone have both and are the rendering styles similar?
The 28-70/2 IMO is the best rendering zoom I have ever used in this category, especially in the image periphery, and can easily work in place of primes. I have yet to find a situation where its rendering/character looked bad, or at the least, worse than a 24-70/2.8.
By family sessions, do you mean hired to do family photo sessions, or photos of your own family?
I think for 'work' when you're expected to be there with a camera that it covers its range really elegantly, offsetting its size. The RF50 will be somewhat sharper, but will the average person notice or even care?
For 'informal' photos of your own family, its size/mass may require reconsideration whether you want to schlep it around when photography is not the primary objective.
I can post a ton of photos with the 28-70, probably nearly all wide open, shot during recent convocation ceremony coverage for my local university where I used the lens nearly exclusively for 'behind the scenes' coverage as well as some of the actual ceremonies.
Here is a selection from on-stage 'hooding' of each grad at various focal lengths:
28mm:
31mm:
35mm:
43mm:
51mm:
64mm:
FWIW, these were shot with the R6 using face/eye subject detection and the wide open hit rate was phenomenally better than what I used to get for this part of the event with a 1DXII. With that camera I got best reliability with the 85/1.4L IS and the framing was somewhat different. With the 28-70 I was able to get a lot closer, have decent background separation, while still showing the something of the background that lended context of the images. Yeah, you could do this with a 2.8 zoom too, but it wouldn't be as pretty IMO.
mb126 wrote:
Folks that have this lens-- is the rendering as nice as it looks in a lot of these? Or are you all just an excellent bunch of photographers?
I'm no longer shooting professionally but the RF 50L stopped down to about f/1.8 is my favorite rendering lens ever. On the other hand, now that I'm doing more informal family sessions the versatility of the 28-70 range looks amazing. Anyone have both and are the rendering styles similar?
Great images!
I own both the RF 50mm F1.2 and the RF 28-70mm F2. I prefer the bokeh and rendering on the RF 50mm, but I find myself using the 28-70 the most due to the versatility. The RF 28-70 is just a tad less sharp and the bokeh is just a little bit busier, but it is a great compromise for the added flexibility. I use to use the EF 24-70mm mkii and found it so uninspiring and avoided using it. With the RF 28-70mm I don't hesitate using it and actually enjoy using it.
mb126 wrote:
Folks that have this lens-- is the rendering as nice as it looks in a lot of these? Or are you all just an excellent bunch of photographers?
I'm no longer shooting professionally but the RF 50L stopped down to about f/1.8 is my favorite rendering lens ever. On the other hand, now that I'm doing more informal family sessions the versatility of the 28-70 range looks amazing. Anyone have both and are the rendering styles similar?
Great images!
It is that nice,…..worth the money, but it is heavy! No free rides there!