It really comes down to your shooting style. I do indoor church events and weddings mostly, so this focal length is very useful to me. I was using the Tamron 24-70 g2 before and the last wedding I shot I only used my 70-200 maybe 5 times. So this lens, for me, is a great asset.
JRobertson wrote:
I’m borrowing a buddies to shoot a wedding today and it’s the second time I’ve seen this monstrosity in person, first time I’ll have hands on with it for a good number of hours, so I’m excited to see what it can produce. I’m marrying it with my R5 & R6, one of which has the grip and the other does not. I agree that the grip is almost an absolute necessity to balance this beast out. I’m still in absolute awe at the sheer size of this thing (here come the jokes). It’s not a focal range I tend to use that often, I prefer a bit more distance and compression, but I’m excited get some time with it.
I’m actually worried I may end up liking it, which means I’ll have the find somewhere to hauk my kidney so I can afford it. ...Show more →
Not sure if anyone is looking, but I just happened to look at bestbuy.com and saw they were in stock, and ordered one. Should be here Friday.. in theory. Will post back if it actually ships.
Mine shipped.. looks like the initial Best Buy stock ran out last night, but then re-opened today for delivery about 6 days out. I guess they must have received a big shipment.. I notice they opened orders for the 100-500 RF lens as well.
I finally scored one of these beasts! I bought it for walk around/travel photography (I know I am slightly crazy) and am loving the image quality. I took it to the Porsche and Mercedes Benz museum in Stuttgart and was very pleased with the results. I loved the image quality of my RF 50mm 1.2 and this lens lets me get pretty close, with also giving me a lot more versatility. I hope you all enjoy these sample images.
1. I love how the little lights have sun stars in this image.
I have really been enjoying this lens. While the background tends to be a tad bit more busy than my RF 50mm 1.2, the flexibility is hard to beat. I hope you guys don't mind all of the pictures, but I wanted to post a few on the wider focal lengths because I didn't see many examples between 28mm and 35mm when I was looking at reviews.
When buying this lens I was afraid it was going to be too heavy for everyday use, so far I barely notice the weight. I do notice the bulkiness when zooming and starting the lens. Here are a few more photos I have taken with the lens.
I took this lens on my trip to Cologne, Germany and was extremely happy with the results. I am blown away by how well the IBIS on the R5 works with this lens. I don't know how the lens does it, but when I shoot at f2 I get nice sunstars when there are bright lights which I think adds a nice touch to the image.