fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       5              7       …       10       11       end
  

Archive 2014 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review

  
 
supermario343
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Hardcore wrote:
Nice shot SuperMario. Stormy weather on the horizon I take it?


There was last night lol it just felt like a nice foreshadowing effect.



May 28, 2014 at 02:07 PM
Hardcore
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Few more from a morning walk. Not a scenic time of year for us. Give it a couple more weeks of warm weather until the leaves start coming out and grass greening.
























May 29, 2014 at 12:22 PM
supermario343
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #3 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Rendering is superb ^. Did you crop these much?


May 29, 2014 at 12:24 PM
Elijah
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #4 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Good stuff hardcore. Do you like this lens more now than the 85G? I'm still debating.... lol


May 29, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Hardcore
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #5 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Iluxa007 wrote:
Good stuff hardcore. Do you like this lens more now than the 85G? I'm still debating.... lol


Thanks. I have never owned the 85mm 1.4g so can't compare. I do like the focal length of the 58mm vs the 85mm. I have tried the 35mm and 85mm combo and it just didn't do much for my shooting. I like the 50-58mm and the 135mm combo better. That said, the 85mm f1.4g just might be the most versatile prime of any especially on the d800. Shoot full frame at 85mm F1.4 and then switch to 1.5x mode and shoot at a full frame equiv of 128mm and F2.1. (dof) and still have 15 megapixels.

supermario343 wrote:
Rendering is superb ^. Did you crop these much?


Not cropped at all. Ya really like the rendering as well. This type of background is not an easy one for most lenses.




May 29, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Hardcore
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #6 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


2 more..... Just snapshots of the kids. Once the scenery turns a bit nicer in the area, I'll do a proper photoshoot. I wanted my Sigma 35mm for environmental portraits. I was just never happy with the subject isolation of the 35mm and the 85mm was just too narrow a field of view.












May 29, 2014 at 03:05 PM
low325
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #7 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


hardcore...

you've got an eye for this lens....!

i mean, if it were any sharper, would you want it to be? the backgrounds are just so easy on the eyes with the 58G which what totally gets me to keep staring at images for long periods of time. nothing strains my eye, its gently pushes my eyes to the subject in focus and just provides an overall pleasing experience. not a whole lot of lenses do that for me...the ones that do cost north of the 58G.

edit: the ones that do cost north of the 58G and/or are longer being manufactured.

Edited on May 29, 2014 at 03:58 PM · View previous versions



May 29, 2014 at 03:28 PM
Hardcore
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #8 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Thanks Low. Ya, sharpness is enough. Sharp enough to get excellent results printing at 16x24". My Sigma is sharper, but I'm coming around to the "sharpness isn't everything" school of thought. It will be interesting to see how the SIgma compares with the nikon when I get it.


May 29, 2014 at 03:55 PM
sidefunk
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #9 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Man this lens is amazing. I have to stop looking at this thread. In any event, i don't think my skills at this point could justify a purchase. But one day . . . this beauty will be mine.


May 29, 2014 at 05:59 PM
j-photo
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #10 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Hardcore wrote:
Few more from a morning walk. Not a scenic time of year for us. Give it a couple more weeks of warm weather until the leaves start coming out and grass greening.

Hardcore, these are really sweet photos. Nice work.



May 29, 2014 at 10:26 PM
ohsnaphappy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #11 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


So glad to see the 58 finally getting the credit it's due. Such a misunderstood lens. When you see this lens used properly you begin to understand why the old Noct Nikkor became a legend. And why Nikon decided to bring it back. It's a real breath of fresh air compared to Nikon's clinical professional look.


May 30, 2014 at 01:17 AM
Hardcore
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #12 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


j-photo wrote:
[Hardcore, these are really sweet photos. Nice work.


Thanks! Just transitioning to spring right now. Can't wait to use this lens in the summer. It feels a lot like the 85mm F1.8g attached which is nice because I really like the size/weight of that lens.... just didn't like much else about it.



May 30, 2014 at 08:44 AM
Chris Dees
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #13 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


ohsnaphappy wrote:
So glad to see the 58 finally getting the credit it's due. Such a misunderstood lens. When you see this lens used properly you begin to understand why the old Noct Nikkor became a legend. And why Nikon decided to bring it back. It's a real breath of fresh air compared to Nikon's clinical professional look.


This lens is number one on my wish list, but over here it's too expensive (€ 1700,00 or over $ 2300,00) so I'll wait until the price comes down or I can find a nice second hand.



May 30, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Elijah
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #14 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Chris Dees wrote:
This lens is number one on my wish list, but over here it's too expensive (€ 1700,00 or over $ 2300,00) so I'll wait until the price comes down or I can find a nice second hand.


Woah, for that money I'd rather get a New 70-200VRII here instead! that's a lot... (I own a 70-200VRII tho)

I'm shooting a small wedding tomorrow. Will post results from this 58mm gem...



May 30, 2014 at 01:10 PM
James R
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #15 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Iluxa007 wrote:
Woah, for that money I'd rather get a New 70-200VRII here instead! that's a lot... (I own a 70-200VRII tho)

I'm shooting a small wedding tomorrow. Will post results from this 58mm gem...


The 58mm has become a favorite of wedding photog Sam Hurd. He has a review of it on his site, from the perspective of a wedding shooter. Look forward to seeing your results.



May 30, 2014 at 02:08 PM
Hardcore
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #16 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Ya, Sam Hurd does a really nice job with this lens. I shoot very few weddings, but I can guarantee that no matter how many more weddings I shoot with the 58mm, I will never top one of my images with the 50mm F1.8g


May 30, 2014 at 03:47 PM
Hardcore
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #17 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Iluxa007 wrote:
Woah, for that money I'd rather get a New 70-200VRII here instead! that's a lot... (I own a 70-200VRII tho)

I'm shooting a small wedding tomorrow. Will post results from this 58mm gem...


Can't wait to see the results!



May 30, 2014 at 04:04 PM
Todd
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #18 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Hardcore wrote:
Can't wait to see the results!



If you go back a few pages, you will notice that I have posted some results from a wedding. Here they are again:

A few from Saturdays wedding / Nikon D800

F/2.5

http://www.toddhargisphotography.com/Weddings/Teri/i-X5rff79/0/X2/_D8E7419-X2.jpg

F/2.5

http://www.toddhargisphotography.com/Weddings/Teri/i-4ZCHVfK/0/X2/_D8E7209-X2.jpg

F/1.4

http://www.toddhargisphotography.com/Weddings/Teri/i-tGwp7t9/0/X2/_D8E7221-X2.jpg

F/3.2

http://www.toddhargisphotography.com/Weddings/Teri/i-M32Npz5/0/X2/_D8E7384-X2.jpg

F/2.5

http://www.toddhargisphotography.com/Weddings/Teri/i-RfCTfnM/0/X2/_D8E7396-X2.jpg

F/3.2

http://www.toddhargisphotography.com/Weddings/Teri/i-CVmfHmv/0/X2/_D8E7395-X2.jpg

F/2.5

http://www.toddhargisphotography.com/Weddings/Teri/i-bmbCg64/0/X2/_D8E7417-X2.jpg


Edited on May 30, 2014 at 11:11 PM · View previous versions



May 30, 2014 at 11:03 PM
Hardcore
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #19 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Very nice shots Todd!


May 30, 2014 at 11:06 PM
supermario343
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #20 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


good morning by mariosworld343, on Flickr


May 31, 2014 at 02:51 PM
1       2       3       …       5              7       …       10       11       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       5              7       …       10       11       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account