ohsnaphappy wrote:
If you spend some time researching this question, quite a few people on several forums have discussed how well the 58 renders on lower MP bodies
How does it render any different on high vs low Megapixel bodies? I'd say it renders the same on a D800 vs a D3s no?
Hardcore wrote:
How does it render any different on high vs low Megapixel bodies? I'd say it renders the same on a D800 vs a D3s no?
I believe he was responding to my inquiry about focus, but, used render (I assume accidentally) in response. Render is the subjective look of an image, while focus deals with the boundaries between zones of different tones or colors (per Imatest.com). In his defense, many D800 users like the look of the images it produces. What they complain about is the number of OOF images the D800 produces. This has been discussed to death since the D800 was released.
Hey guys! Sorry been MIA lately.
@ Hardcore: I rarely shoot this lens wide open. I normally float around f1.8-f2.2. I've found that nailing focus is very very tricky wide open because the DOF is so damn narrow. As mentioned earlier, this lens isn't very good at tracking moving objects, and its strength really is in static subjects. Thanks for sharing those images! Love the one of the plane flying over the forest fire.
@Iluxa007: Great photos! To me, the 58mm is the 50mm version of the 85mm 1.4G because its bokeh is just gorgeous and renders subjects in such a remarkable way.
Tested again today. Took a lot of shots wide open. In good light, this lens nails focus. Suprised at the sharpness now that I have it dialed it. Way sharper at F1.4 than the reviews lead you to believe. It does have a different way of rendering out of focus though.
I have a feeling a lot of people don't take the time to Micro Adjust the lens perfectly. This lens has a weird way of making slightly out of focus shots actually seem like they were in focus, but soft... if that makes sense.
Still have not gotten my Sigma 50mm, but I can see why people love this lens for the bokeh.
Hardcore wrote:
Tested again today. Took a lot of shots wide open. In good light, this lens nails focus. Suprised at the sharpness now that I have it dialed it. Way sharper at F1.4 than the reviews lead you to believe. It does have a different way of rendering out of focus though.
I have a feeling a lot of people don't take the time to Micro Adjust the lens perfectly. This lens has a weird way of making slightly out of focus shots actually seem like they were in focus, but soft... if that makes sense.
Still have not gotten my Sigma 50mm, but I can see why people love this lens for the bokeh....Show more →
reesem wrote:
Hey guys! Sorry been MIA lately.
@ Hardcore: I rarely shoot this lens wide open. I normally float around f1.8-f2.2. I've found that nailing focus is very very tricky wide open because the DOF is so damn narrow. As mentioned earlier, this lens isn't very good at tracking moving objects, and its strength really is in static subjects. Thanks for sharing those images! Love the one of the plane flying over the forest fire.
@Iluxa007: Great photos! To me, the 58mm is the 50mm version of the 85mm 1.4G because its bokeh is just gorgeous and renders subjects in such a remarkable way.
I have a serious serious problem... SOMEONE please help me decide lol, I don’t know... I need to choose one lens. Should I keep the 58mm f/1.4G or the 85mm f/1.4G GAAH!
I have a serious serious problem... SOMEONE please help me decide lol, I don’t know... I need to choose one lens. Should I keep the 58mm f/1.4G or the 85mm f/1.4G GAAH!
I have both and they are very different! But just my preference, if I were to choose one I'd pick the 85mm.
Thanks! Took a lot today. I'm having a lot of fun with this lens. I always knew I enjoyed the 50mm range the most for primes, but have always been swayed by the results of the 35mm & 85mm combo. Now I'm thinking I'm going to switch to the 24m 58mm and 135mm prime set.
This lens is just really versatile for what I shoot.
Thanks! Not sure if anyone else noticed, but I think the hood is a necessity outdoors. I put the hood on today for the first time outdoors and I had many more keepers and a lot higher contrast. I'm thinking this lens does not do well with stray light reducing contrast significantly.
Nice shots Hardcore, I also love your PP, especially the film look in the shadows. I personally dislike the hood, to be honest.
I like to have my hoods on but the 58mm hood just has a plain ugly design the 85G’s have a much better and simple round design.
I have a serious serious problem... SOMEONE please help me decide lol, I don’t know... I need to choose one lens. Should I keep the 58mm f/1.4G or the 85mm f/1.4G GAAH!
They are vastly different lenses. Incomparable really. I didn't find the 58 suitable for my professional work. It was just so hit and miss. Which was sort of fun honestly, really added to the creative process. But the first time it failed me on a professional shoot I became skeptical. The 85, on the other hand, is a very professional lens, in the sense that it's exceptional at any aperture, in any lighting condition.
I've said this many times, but if I weren't a professional doing this for a living, the 58 would probably be the only lens I owned. But as a professional, I found it frustrating as a tool in my bag. My work is very run and gun, frantic at many times, that's why I love it. And the 58 isn't great in that kind of environment.
Also keep in mind, when you examine shots from the 85 and 58 side-by-side, you're going to see two dramatically different shots. You also need to consider which focal length is suitable for your work. If the 85 is too tight for you, then that certainly rules it out
ohsnaphappy wrote:
They are vastly different lenses. Incomparable really. I didn't find the 58 suitable for my professional work. It was just so hit and miss. Which was sort of fun honestly, really added to the creative process. But the first time it failed me on a professional shoot I became skeptical. The 85, on the other hand, is a very professional lens, in the sense that it's exceptional at any aperture, in any lighting condition.
I've said this many times, but if I weren't a professional doing this for a living, the 58 would probably be the only lens I owned. But as a professional, I found it frustrating as a tool in my bag. My work is very run and gun, frantic at many times, that's why I love it. And the 58 isn't great in that kind of environment.
Also keep in mind, when you examine shots from the 85 and 58 side-by-side, you're going to see two dramatically different shots. You also need to consider which focal length is suitable for your work. If the 85 is too tight for you, then that certainly rules it out ...Show more →
I probably used my 50mm f/1.8G about a dozen shots for each wedding. It was my least used lens whereas the 85mm was one of my most used lens in my bag.
But this 58mm is kind of different... not much different though. I just don’t know if I’ll like it in the future...
I have a wedding this weekend and I will use it to full potential and see whether it’s a keeper or not.
Iluxa007 wrote:
Nice shots Hardcore, I also love your PP, especially the film look in the shadows. I personally dislike the hood, to be honest.
I like to have my hoods on but the 58mm hood just has a plain ugly design the 85G’s have a much better and simple round design.
Thanks! Ya, the hood is ugly that is for sure. Same with the 85mm F1.8g I just prefer shooting this lens without the hood.
James R wrote:
Hardcore, the 58 and D800 are a great combo. The images jump off the page.