fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       6              8       …       10       11       end
  

Archive 2014 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review

  
 
supermario343
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


the standout by mariosworld343, on Flickr


May 31, 2014 at 04:23 PM
Hardcore
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #2 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Few more snapshots after a day off and yardwork with beers and BBQ with friends and cute kids!
























May 31, 2014 at 11:04 PM
Hardcore
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #3 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Well, why not post more. Still in the honeymoon phase.














Jun 01, 2014 at 09:41 PM
Elijah
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #4 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Here are some from the wedding folks. This lens is AMAZING.
All shots were shot at 1.6 (Yes, I know, I’m crazy to shoot group shots at 1.6 but I took the risk)
This lens gives a crazy nice bokeh, colors and everything!



























Jun 01, 2014 at 10:13 PM
Elijah
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #5 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Two more...












Jun 01, 2014 at 10:15 PM
Hardcore
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #6 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Nice shots Iluxa. Looks like some fun was had by the wedding party.









Jun 02, 2014 at 02:01 PM
Elijah
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #7 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Thanks Hardcore.

Well everyone, time to let y’all know the truth what I think about this lens: It isn’t worth the money. Yes, I know I know, Y’all gonna start hating on me but I made my decision and will keep my 85mm as my main. I just got my 50G SE recently and it performs pretty much the same as 58G, regardless of what reviews say. If I had the extra money I’d definitely keep it but it’s just not worth the money for me. After I found out my 50G and 85G are sharper wide open than 58G wide open, I packed the 58 and shipped it back Sniff sniff...




Jun 02, 2014 at 05:12 PM
Hardcore
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #8 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Iluxa007 wrote:
Thanks Hardcore.

Well everyone, time to let y’all know the truth what I think about this lens: It isn’t worth the money. Yes, I know I know, Y’all gonna start hating on me but I made my decision and will keep my 85mm as my main. I just got my 50G SE recently and it performs pretty much the same as 58G, regardless of what reviews say. If I had the extra money I’d definitely keep it but it’s just not worth the money for me. After I found out my 50G and 85G are sharper wide open than 58G wide
...Show more →

Cool, why would we start hating on ya for that? I know this lens isn't worth the money either, but I am liking it more and more each day. It gives an almost identical field of view as my eye making it a very easy lens to compose.

As for sharpness, maybe I just have a good copy, but it is damn near as sharp as my Sigma 35mm which is no easy feat. This is also focused very close, which is where this lens performs the poorest. At 10' plus the performance is on par with the Sigma imo. Micro Adjusting the lens to perfection is a must. I shoot with any fast prime wide open for a month at least before I will even take it on a photoshoot. I need to know it will perform wide open. After a month or so, I will start stopping the lens down a bit more.

I'm still waiting for the Sigma 50mm so I can compare sharpness and bokeh etc.






Mining






100% Crop




Jun 02, 2014 at 05:24 PM
James R
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #9 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Hardcore wrote:
Cool, why would we start hating on ya for that? I know this lens isn't worth the money either, but I am liking it more and more each day. It gives an almost identical field of view as my eye making it a very easy lens to compose.

As for sharpness, maybe I just have a good copy, but it is damn near as sharp as my Sigma 35mm which is no easy feat. This is also focused very close, which is where this lens performs the poorest. At 10' plus the performance is on par with the Sigma imo.
...Show more →

The critical focus was just OK until I checked it on LensAlign. It was front focused a bit. Made the FT adjustment and it is spot on and very sharp. I can't say if it is better than the 85 1/4, but, it definitely is sharper than the 50 1/4 G--at least in my experience. I bought and sold the 50 1/4 faster than any lens I'ver ever owned.



Jun 02, 2014 at 06:53 PM
supermario343
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #10 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


endless love by mariosworld343, on Flickr


Jun 03, 2014 at 07:25 PM
Elijah
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #11 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


My wife, my love, my everything! by MomentsKaptured_, on Flickr


Jun 03, 2014 at 09:57 PM
Hardcore
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #12 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Nice shot Mario. Love how this lens melts the backgrounds!


Jun 03, 2014 at 10:02 PM
Hardcore
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #13 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Cool shot Elijah. Love how the background swirls in a circluar bokeh. I've been noticing that a lot with my shots and I really like the effect. Kind of like a tunnel of bokeh.


Jun 03, 2014 at 10:03 PM
runamuck
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #14 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Hardcore wrote:
Cool, why would we start hating on ya for that? I know this lens isn't worth the money either, but I am liking it more and more each day. It gives an almost identical field of view as my eye making it a very easy lens to compose.

As for sharpness, maybe I just have a good copy, but it is damn near as sharp as my Sigma 35mm which is no easy feat. This is also focused very close, which is where this lens performs the poorest. At 10' plus the performance is on par with the Sigma imo.
...Show more →
Whrn the kid is 17, this is the perfect blackmail shot. Threaten to show iit to his girlfriend and it's good for several car washes and wax jobs.



Jun 03, 2014 at 10:13 PM
low325
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #15 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Iluxa007 wrote:
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5272/14318902976_6c83db38f4_c.jpgMy wife, my love, my everything! by MomentsKaptured_, on Flickr

Very pretty model!



Jun 03, 2014 at 11:57 PM
supermario343
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #16 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


free falling by mariosworld343, on Flickr


Jun 04, 2014 at 07:32 AM
Elijah
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #17 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Hardcore wrote:
Cool shot Elijah. Love how the background swirls in a circluar bokeh. I've been noticing that a lot with my shots and I really like the effect. Kind of like a tunnel of bokeh.


Thanks. I love it too... But I cannot afford this lens just yet Maybe This fall... depending on how many weddings I will shoot lol

low325 wrote:
Very pretty model!


That "model" happens to be my wife



Jun 04, 2014 at 02:01 PM
Hardcore
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #18 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Few more shots. Trying to find some really tough backgrounds to see if this lens is capable of ugly bokeh. Can't find any situations where this lens fails. Really is quite impressive.

To add: After shooting wide open on almost every shot since I've owned this lens I can honestly say it is perfectly usable and actually quite sharp. The reviews had me thinking otherwise.












Jun 06, 2014 at 05:53 PM
Elijah
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #19 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


I would shoot this nothing BUT wide open. It is sharp when dialed in. The reason I would always shoot this one with a wide aperture is because the FL and DOF looks almost like a medium format and I LOVE the look an 80mm gives on a medium format. 58mm comes very close on a 35mm sensor.


Jun 06, 2014 at 09:13 PM
low325
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #20 · Nikon 58mm 1.4G lens review


Hardcore

That second shot looks like your son is about to walk off the screen!



Jun 06, 2014 at 09:44 PM
1       2       3       …       6              8       …       10       11       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       6              8       …       10       11       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account