I really like this delicate, airy plant. I’ve heard it’s native to Texas, so I’m surprised it’s growing so lushly and abundantly here. Maybe it’s because of the warm, dry summer we had. All three images were taken with the Batis 135.
Another image from inside the Jomblang cave; this one includes some people, showing how big the underground opening is at certain sections. It was hot and humid and the floor was wet and sclippery. Without the guides, I would have not been able to explore the cave... no question about it.
adventure_photo wrote:
Dramatic cloud that formed over the Vail Valley a few days ago. Color was so intense that it was hard to expose for the red channel without blowing it out. I underexposed most of these and lifted shadows in post.
This is a historical piece of the Hetch-Hetchy water system. After the 1906 earthquake, San Francisco realized they needed more water, so they undertook a massive project for a city. Started around 1913 and finished some 10 years later, the O'Shaughnessy Dam created Hetch-Hetchy resevoir. As it was technically national park property, it was done with blessings from the federal government via president Wilson.
Anyway, it involves 167 miles of pipeline that feeds various parts of San Francisco. The amazing part is there are no pump stations, the water flow is 100% driven by gravity. Since it involves a lot of up and down over hills and valleys to get to SF, the net speed of flow is pretty slow -- it takes 3 days for water that enters at the dam to reach SF proper.
There are a few similar temples dotted around the Bay Area, but post 9-11 they others were all closed off to the public. (And IIRC, also got covered up on Google Earth.) I photographed the Sunol temple several years back, which simply stated is a work of art, truly magnificent. Probably three times as large as this Pulgas temple, with tiled dome ceiling and a stairwell you could actually descend into a main cistern where all the water was diverted into different distribution lines. I wish I could gain access today.
ILCE-7RM6TAMRON 12-20mm F2.8 A084 E lens16mmf/8.01/320s100 ISO0.0 EV