Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              6       7       end

Archive 2013 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

I always carry a spare battery - if you don't have paying clients or the shots aren't important, then I guess you don't need to carry one if you don't want to.

On a day like today, I would still carry a spare battery even if the one in the camera was rated for 1,000,000 shots...

Mar 03, 2013 at 01:14 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

EB-1 wrote:
The dual CF slots of the 1D-X are much more practical to me than the super-slow SD slot on the 5D III. Regardless of the card speed, the SD slot was too slow even for my landscapes. I'm hoping to actually use the two slots regularly in the 1D-X.

EBH

Yes dual CF slots. It's a huge improvent IMO

Edited on Mar 03, 2013 at 01:24 PM · View previous versions

Mar 03, 2013 at 01:14 PM
ericvgill
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Isn't the ethernet port still very slow, or was it improved with a firmware update?

EBH

Dunno. I was mainly speaking to Canon skipping upgrading the connectors on the 5D3 (my use for tethering usually involves 9-30 exposures per final shot, so more xfer speed would be nice). Rob Galbraith mentions it's much fast than on previous models, but doesn't mention just how fast.

Mar 03, 2013 at 01:16 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Yes dual CF slots and the much better. It's a huge improvent IMO

Until you bend a pin...

I used to prefer the CF cards, but now all of my computers and storage devices have built-in SD card slots, so I don't need a separate card reader. The ease and greater reliability of file transfer trumps any marginal (and largely theoretical) difference in card read/write speed.

Mar 03, 2013 at 01:27 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

molson wrote:
I always carry a spare battery - if you don't have paying clients or the shots aren't important, then I guess you don't need to carry one if you don't want to.

On a day like today, I would still carry a spare battery even if the one in the camera was rated for 1,000,000 shots...

I also always carry a spare battery. But if I where using the 5D3 (especially with paying clients) I would probably carry at least 3 spare batteries

Mar 03, 2013 at 01:27 PM
ericvgill
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

molson wrote:

On that kind of day, you'll probably be carrying more than just spare batteries. Snowshoes, MREs...

Nice shot.

Mar 03, 2013 at 01:28 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Yes dual CF slots and the much better. It's a huge improvent IMO

molson wrote:
Until you bend a pin...

I used to prefer the CF cards, but now all of my computers and storage devices have built-in SD card slots, so I don't need a separate card reader. The ease and greater reliability of file transfer trumps any marginal (and largely theoretical) difference in card read/write speed.

The CF card readers (USB3 especially, but even FW800) with a modern UDMA CF card will beat the crap out of any SD card you can muster. Not to mention the time it takes to clear the buffer in the camera.

Mar 03, 2013 at 01:43 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

molson wrote:
Until you bend a pin...

You must be joking when you write the difference in speed between CF and SD cards (in Canon bodies) are marginal and largely theoretical. I own 4 bodies that have dual slots. 3 of them have both CF and SD. And the difference is huge. Canon have always had very slow writing for SD cards. And never supported the fastest SD cards either. Just look at Rob Gailbraiths test of the 5D3 with CF and SD cards. You have to scroll so far down in his list before you find the fastest SD card. And a CF card is 4x-5x times as fast as the best SD. A burst with CF cards give him 75 shots and a burst with the best SD gives him 22 shots Writing speed is 80mb/s for CF and 19mb/s for SD

Mar 03, 2013 at 01:45 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Sorry to say it, but most (not all) of the arguments for the 1DX over the 5D3 sound like people trying to justify why they spent a whole lot more money so they could have the latest and greatest. Unless you shoot sports or wildlife and you use 12fps, the 1DX is not a need, it's a want. The 5D3 will not die in a rainstorm or a snow storm. It won't die in a war zone, unless it takes a direct hit, but then so would the 1DX. The 5D3 AF is either a touch better or matches the 1Dmk4 so its more than adequate for 99% of shooting. I use 400x CF cards with a 90mb/s transfer rate. If I use the 1D4 and have RAW written to both cards I get 21 shots before the buffer fills. I took the 95mb/s SD card out and that went to 23... not much difference.

Mar 03, 2013 at 02:37 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Well of course the buffer size doesn't actually change when the SD card is added. It just takes much longer to empty. Perhaps Canon will eventually implement the UHS and truly 95 MB/sec. cards.

EBH

Mar 03, 2013 at 02:58 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

EB-1 wrote:
Well of course the buffer size doesn't actually change when the SD card is added. It just takes much longer to empty. Perhaps Canon will eventually implement the UHS and truly 95 MB/sec. cards.

EBH

The buffer didn't seem to empty much quicker either, but I can test that again

Mar 03, 2013 at 03:07 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Bones74 wrote:
The buffer didn't seem to empty much quicker either, but I can test that again To make this "thread relevant", it doesn't make me need a 1DX

Mar 03, 2013 at 03:11 PM
ericvgill
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

I'd be happier if they had the full-on UDMA 7 spec. The fastest CF from Galbraith's tests with the 5d III (Lexar 1000x 32GB) tops at 80.3 GB/s, while rated at 145.

Mar 03, 2013 at 03:15 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Bones74 wrote:
Sorry to say it, but most (not all) of the arguments for the 1DX over the 5D3 sound like people trying to justify why they spent a whole lot more money so they could have the latest and greatest.

Actually, no. Like many people in this thread who have a 1DX, I also have a 5D3. Different cameras for different uses. I don't need to justify anything to anyone - to the contrary, I am (and others are) in the luxurious position of being able to answer the OP's question.

Mar 03, 2013 at 05:12 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Bones74 wrote:
Sorry to say it, but most (not all) of the arguments for the 1DX over the 5D3 sound like people trying to justify why they spent a whole lot more money so they could have the latest and greatest.

stanj wrote:
Actually, no. Like many people in this thread who have a 1DX, I also have a 5D3. Different cameras for different uses. I don't need to justify anything to anyone - to the contrary, I am (and others are) in the luxurious position of being able to answer the OP's question.

I haven't contributed to this thread until now, because I don't have a 5DIII. OTOH, I have a 1DX, a 1DIV, and a 5DII. I'd love to have a 5DIII as well, but my priority was to get a FF camera with high fps. Most people on this forum who have a 1DX, bought it because it does what they need. Most of those people, including me, had to dig pretty deep to do that.

It would be easy to turn your (Bones74) logic around to say something about people who are bitter because they had to "settle" for a 5DIII, but that would be totally bogus. Much like your theory.

Mar 03, 2013 at 05:22 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

stanj wrote:

Hey Stan, my point is that just because one owns a 1DX does not mean that one NEEDS the 1DX (That some REALLY do is not in question). If you could show me an image of yours shot with a 1DX that could not have been made with a 5Dmk3, I'll do a Wayne's World Alice Cooper "We're not worthy" to the alter of Stanj once every full moon

What won't count: High ISO, because we shoot RAW, Noise Reduction exists and the 5D3 is already pretty good. Shooting in the rain, because the 5D3 is adequately weather sealed enough to see off a bit of rain and snow (tested and passed with flying colours), umbrella's exist and camera raincoats exist. What will count: High speed action at 12fps using the all conquering 1DX servo AF. That is all that's left really..... isn't it?

Mar 03, 2013 at 05:34 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

I haven't contributed to this thread until now, because I don't have a 5DIII. OTOH, I have a 1DX, a 1DIV, and a 5DII. I'd love to have a 5DIII as well, but my priority was to get a FF camera with high fps. Most people on this forum who have a 1DX, bought it because it does what they need. Most of those people, including me, had to dig pretty deep to do that.

It would be easy to turn your (Bones74) logic around to say something about people who are bitter because they had to "settle" for a 5DIII,
...Show more

I'm not bitter in anyway whatsoever, I could afford a 1DX, especially if I sell my 1Dmk4. I just wanted a FF Canon camera that has more 18mp because I like to use my 5D3 for landscapes. It's also great for capturing BIF and other wildlife images I'm not a pro sports or wildlife shooter, but when I buy my 500mm f/4 IS ii I might consider it because I'll no longer be so F/L limited. I'll say it again, I'm not saying that there aren't those who need the 12fps and who doesn't like the dual controls without having to add a battery grip, but if you don't utilize that extra speed then the 1DX could be considered expensive overkill.

My "theory" isn't bogus. There are those who just buy the latest/greatest because it is just that, and not every 1DX owner belongs to this forum. Some of whom may well have bought a 1DX just because "they had to have it", despite the fact a lesser camera would have sufficed. There is a 1DX pictures thread on POTN which is filled with incredible images shot by excellent photographers. It's also filled with the biggest load c**p about how many of the images could never have been shot if the 1DX didn't exist.

I'm not saying the 5D3 is the equal of the 1DX, but it's enough camera to take care of just about shooting situation bar those where the added speed is required. That is all

Edited on Mar 03, 2013 at 06:00 PM · View previous versions

Mar 03, 2013 at 05:49 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Bones74 wrote:
What won't count: Shooting in the rain, because the 5D3 is adequately weather sealed enough to see off a bit of rain and snow (tested and passed with flying colours), umbrella's exist and camera raincoats exist

I will counter that: a bunch of my buddies from the NASA projects were shooing at the DNC last year. You may recall that it was a little bit wet, to put it mildly. Every single of their 5D3s died (out of about 10), while not a single 1DX died. Half of the 5D3s recovered once dried, the other half went to the doctor.

Not splitting hair - you brought weather sealing

As for high ISO - the fact that we shoot raw and have NR software applies to both cameras. When you have better "in", you get better "out", regardless of the processing technology.

Now as for shots that *I* could not have gotten with the 5D3, other than the wet ones - who knows. Our personal limitations apply to all cameras, so maybe *you* could have gotten the shot with the 5D3 that I needed a 1DX for, but again, we assume same pilot here. I can however show pictures that I got with the D800E that I could not have gotten with the 1DX, but that's for a different thread

Mar 03, 2013 at 05:58 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

I have 1DX, and no 5DMkIII.
I am bitter about not buying 5DMkIII instead.
I am also bitter about my early career choice.....in retrospect, I should have gone for a job in the Canadian Senate (as a Senator, that is ).

Mar 03, 2013 at 05:59 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

stanj wrote:
I will counter that: a bunch of my buddies from the NASA projects were shooing at the DNC last year. You may recall that it was a little bit wet, to put it mildly. Every single of their 5D3s died (out of about 10), while not a single 1DX died. Half of the 5D3s recovered once dried, the other half went to the doctor.

Not splitting hair - you brought weather sealing

As for high ISO - the fact that we shoot raw and have NR software applies to both cameras. When you have better "in", you get better "out",
...Show more

Why Stan, why did they not use use umbrellas! On the 11th of Feb I went out shooting along the Thames in London for three hours. The weather alternated between rain, sleet and snow. My camera and lenses got soaked. When I got home I had to use a towel and hair dryer, but the camera never missed a beat. Lets be honest you are far more proficient camera in hand than I All I'm saying that maybe some people need to give thought to whether they could save a bit of money and buy a 5D3 and some nice L glass, instead of a 1DX.

Edited on Mar 03, 2013 at 06:17 PM · View previous versions

Mar 03, 2013 at 06:10 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.