Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Gear duck IF tip for Jerry etc.

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Gear duck IF tip for Jerry etc.

Jerry and I have touched upon this subject briefly today......how does one shoot BIF if chair bound, with limited motor capability ? I figure we are all heading in that direction one way or another, whether thru old age sclerotic condition, various muscular atrophies, etc. Thus today I tried to do a little limited motor action simulation on a simpler variant of BIF: ducks on takeoff.

I sat on a bench by the lake and positioned the tripod with 1DX + 300 f/2 IS MkI in front of me.
There was a whole bunch of Mallards swimming some 20 ft distant, which began to fly ashore in order to dry out.

Camera/lens settings:

Servo AF, center zone AF point selection, iRT AF off.
ISO 3200
1/2000 sec
f/6.3
8 FPS
IS off.

The objective was to zero down on a duck which was displaying the takeoff tell-tale signs, wait for it to start breaking out of water, and then commence firing while moving the lens upward only a few inches, or not at all, depending on the framing latitude. After several late reactions and misses, I began to get into a groove with it. It's not easy, but it seems feasible.

Here is one of the better shots that came out of the simulation.

Edited on Feb 26, 2013 at 12:33 PM · View previous versions

Feb 23, 2013 at 09:37 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #2 · Gear duck IF tip for Jerry etc.

Bush Hawk?

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:00 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Gear duck IF tip for Jerry etc.

Bushhawk might be suitable for those folks (say,elderly) who have very good upper body strength and mobility, such as Frenchmonkey. We are not talking about that though.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Gear duck IF tip for Jerry etc.

Much the same as shooting from a kayak I would say. Of course getting in and out is a different matter but one is limited to shooting from sitting.

Tim

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM lens    800mm    f/7.1    1/1600s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

or a pair at full chat flying by

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    800mm    f/8.0    1/2000s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:24 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #5 · Gear duck IF tip for Jerry etc.

If bush hawks are out, I can imagine a tripod with a fluid head attached to a long pan handle. Another thing to help out would be to use a remote trigger or better yet- a smart phone that can trigger the camera remotely.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:33 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Gear duck IF tip for Jerry etc.

I am also assuming that a person can only do a minor movement of the camera/lens slowly, i.e. a few inches, and depress a remote shutter release. Not much more than that.

Therefore, the starting position of a bird should be stationary and prefocused on, and then do a capture on takeoff without much, or any tracking.

We also need someone like Jerry to chirp in and help validate my simulation/assumptions.

Here's another one, the same shot parameters as above.

Edited on Feb 26, 2013 at 12:33 PM · View previous versions

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:45 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Gear duck IF tip for Jerry etc.

vsg28 wrote:
If bush hawks are out, I can imagine a tripod with a fluid head attached to a long pan handle. Another thing to help out would be to use a remote trigger or better yet- a smart phone that can trigger the camera remotely.

Yup..... that's more like it, I think.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:46 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Gear duck IF tip for Jerry etc.

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Much the same as shooting from a kayak I would say. Of course getting in and out is a different matter but one is limited to shooting from sitting.

Tim

Tim, I think your shots are similar in concept, i.e., one just has to wait for the takeoff.....that is perhaps the most time consuming thing, unless one uses a starter pistol to spook the ducks into flight.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:51 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Gear duck IF tip for Jerry etc.

Peter, how cool, thank you so much, I look forward to any input/suggestion, certainly the imagery and to all please don't hesitate to chime in, ask me direct questions

I think Tim's account of shooting from a kayak is actually pretty spot on. I normally shoot hand-held and am comfortable balance/strength wise with a gripped 40D and 70-200 f4L IS or the 300 f4L IS. But add just a bit more weight, a 1.4x T/C or extension tubes and I'm getting close to disabled...no sharp keepers.

Those big beautiful teles of 500mm and up are not in my game yet...and I'm not sure they will. Discussions with Peter and others have born some fruit, and I'm very close to completing a year plus long effort for a semi-flexible support system for my power chair, with a 400 f5.6L likely in my future

Some background for context. I've a high level spinal cord injury, C4-6 Incomplete is my designation, so my issues are not just an able body sitting down in a chair or bench, even a Kayak. Here are a few issues...some not easy to explain/understand. I broke my neck and after near 35yrs have not gained any movement back. Sensation and strength, upper body control are 'upgradable' via workouts n experimentation...so I can still shoot, drive, get drunk, etc. Tequila is my fav

My fingers and parts of my arms are completely paralyzed, as is everything else from mid-chest down; there be no walking here, so when I'm tired I use a chest strap; a seat belt to keep me tight against my seat back, it's very restrictive movement wise, but keeps me balanced; physically, the mental bit is in question on occasion. I use a remote switch for firing the shutter, it's placed in my mouth to free up both hands to manage the camera n lens; I use my tongue to half and fully press the shutter button...no questions please I'm sure I look quite...professional.

I've no use of my triceps, so while I can extend my arm forward with the help of gravity, gravity also takes control when said arm is raised above head; my arm collapses at the elbow and as often happens I get a face full of fist and/or camera...something I try greatly to avoid...on occasion a brain fart occurs and I forget not to...ouch the flocking hurt.

Imagine sitting in a stiff armchair, your upper body can twist at your trunk/waist, but your only way to move about is with hands to tires n push; as was done my 1st 15yrs, or now one hand on the joystick to move about. There is no shooting while on the move, it's just not safe. And a tripod is pretty much unusable as they don't mix well with wheelchairs.

I pretty much shoot what is directly in front of me, tried strapping a monopod to the outside front of my chair but the angle is tough to manage, live view is okay but using the viewfinder most difficult. If all works as planned, I will be able to manage a Gimbal head that is fixed to a slider bar, so left to right movement across my lap should be feasible. I won't have much movement when using my seat belt to strap me in, but without it should be able to keep the viewfinder usable, otherwise it's liveview.

Action and BIF are not my photographic concentration but are something I want to give a go. There are limits but pushing them has always been my way...

I don't surf anymore, never figured out how to mount a chair on a board; even a long board, nor do I climb so El Capitan is out, tho it's was a blast back in 76. Photography is still within reach, even tho I'm somewhat reach/venue limited, there is plenty to shoot.

When I get back in my wheels, slap that support on we'll see how things go. Practice, refining technique and re-building my strength are my focus. A major medical issue put me down, confined me to bed since early 08. There have been brief passages when getting outside was possible and much of my that shooting time can be seen in my posts here on FM, on Facebook and soon in a less then attended to blog.

Everyone here on FM has inspired me through their imagery, posts and PM's. I'm looking forward to sharing more images this year, perhaps even a BIF or two. March should be a good start as I'll be rolling at a more steady pace, healed n mostly healthy it's time to go shoot something

Your thoughts, suggestions on gear, technique, etc. are most welcome, encouraged and appreciated. This place of film n digital is humbling and inspiring, thank you all, Fred, for keeping it real.

Jerry

Edited on Feb 24, 2013 at 03:32 AM · View previous versions

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Gear duck IF tip for Jerry etc.

BTW, I have practiced hand-held shooting of BIF, have posted the lift-offs of two Mallards from our backyard pool. That experience, seeing and interacting with the BIFers here on FM got me thinking there can be more to life then just shooting flowers

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:06 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Gear duck IF tip for Jerry etc.

Peter, that last pijun shot of your's I have seen, probably could attempt to shoot, there is one pond/lake with excellent wheelchair access...it's on my to-shoot list for this year, cross fingers I'll get something in focus

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:10 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Gear duck IF tip for Jerry etc.

Thanx Jerry, that gives a real life context.
Well, thank goodness for "live view".

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:11 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Gear duck IF tip for Jerry etc.

StillFingerz wrote:
Peter, that last pijun shot of your's I have seen, probably could attempt to shoot, there is one pond/lake with excellent wheelchair access...it's on my to-shoot list for this year, cross fingers I'll get something in focus

Jerry, you couldn't have seen the shot before because it was taken today.

You can also manipulate the ducks to fly your way by giving them some food.
If you prefocus good and have sufficient DOF, you might as well try to shoot in MF.
Either way, this should be done in good light so you can stop down to f/11 or more.
You will shoot BIF, I know it.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:16 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Gear duck IF tip for Jerry etc.

Hmmm, bait n shoot...I like that Idea
Manual n prefocusing were the norm for me prior to 98 when I finally went AF. Surfers n BIF will be my challenge, thanks for the vote of confidence, I'll bag something. Good light usually isn't an issue in SoCal, gettin me vertical, the opportunity to shoot is more the prob

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Gear duck IF tip for Jerry etc.

unless one uses a starter pistol to spook the ducks into flight. My wife and I have joked about that many times in the past Peter

Yes JOKED

Tim

Feb 24, 2013 at 01:27 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Gear duck IF tip for Jerry etc.

Tim Kuhn wrote:
unless one uses a starter pistol to spook the ducks into flight. My wife and I have joked about that many times in the past Peter

Yes JOKED

Tim

Tim, I used to wait for up to two hours for some diving ducks to take to air, and no cigar, went home empty handed.....and that was in winter. The temptation to make them fly was there.

Feb 24, 2013 at 01:41 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Gear duck IF tip for Jerry etc.

StillFingerz wrote:
BTW, I have practiced hand-held shooting of BIF, have posted the lift-offs of two Mallards from our backyard pool. That experience, seeing and interacting with the BIFers here on FM got me thinking there can be more to life then just shooting flowers

I remember those shots, and I believe I commented on them, as they were quite decent even for an old "ducker" like myself. I think at that time the denizens of N&W forum had no idea what obstacles and challenges you had to overcome in order to get those shots, in light of which they were a very major accomplishment.

Feb 24, 2013 at 02:09 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Gear duck IF tip for Jerry etc.

Thanks Peter...from ObiKal that is quite the humbling compliment

This is a densely pack, fully built housing area, the nearest park/pond 5 miles away and located near one of our busier streets. With some well placed trees for cover, a four house glide path for these Mallards, they found a watering hole in our pool.

The first time they flew in we were having lunch, watching a movie on a saturday, so we did not hear them...until. The male Mallard started doing unmentionables to his mate, her rather loud squawking kinda drew our attention. There were wakes in the pool as they managed the entire length of the pool and back...talk about an olympic sprint...quite the scene for us citified folk

Thus began this dance, that moment of lift-off magic, for an elusive flower hunter it was a pretty cool 2 hour wait...with some great ending rewards.

Feb 24, 2013 at 03:12 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password