Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of PetKal's message #11369784 « Gear duck IF tip for Jerry etc. »

PetKal
Upload & Sell: On
Gear duck IF tip for Jerry etc.

Jerry and I have touched upon this subject briefly today......how does one shoot BIF if chair bound, with limited motor capability ? I figure we are all heading in that direction one way or another, whether thru old age sclerotic condition, various muscular atrophies, etc. Thus today I tried to do a little limited motor action simulation on a simpler variant of BIF: ducks on takeoff.

I sat on a bench by the lake and positioned the tripod with 1DX + 300 f/2 IS MkI in front of me.
There was a whole bunch of Mallards swimming some 20 ft distant, which began to fly ashore in order to dry out.

Camera/lens settings:

Servo AF, center zone AF point selection, iRT AF off.
ISO 3200
1/2000 sec
f/6.3
8 FPS
IS off.

The objective was to zero down on a duck which was displaying the takeoff tell-tale signs, wait for it to start breaking out of water, and then commence firing while moving the lens upward only a few inches, or not at all, depending on the framing latitude. After several late reactions and misses, I began to get into a groove with it. It's not easy, but it seems feasible.

Here is one of the better shots that came out of the simulation.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:39 AM
PetKal
Upload & Sell: On
Gear duck IF tip for Jerry etc.

Jerry and I have touched upon this subject briefly today......how does one shoot BIF if chair bound, with limited motor capability ? I figure we are all heading in that direction one way or another, whether thru old age sclerotic condition, various muscular atrophies, etc. Thus today I tried to do a little limited motor action simulation on a simpler variant of BIF: ducks on takeoff.

I sat on a bench by the lake and positioned the tripod with 1DX + 300 f/2 IS MkI in front of me.
There was a whole bunch of Mallards swimming some 20 ft distant, which began to fly ashore in order to dry out.

Camera/lens settings:

Servo AF, center zone AF point selection, iRT AF off.
ISO 3200
1/2000 sec
f/6.3
8 FPS
IS off.

The objective was to zero down on a duck which was displaying the takeoff tell-tale signs, wait for it to start breaking out of water, and then commence firing while moving the lens upward only a few inches, or not at all, depending on the framing latitude. After several late reactions and misses, I began to get into a groove with it. It's not easy, but it seems feasible.

Here is one of the better shots that came out of the simulation.

Feb 23, 2013 at 09:37 PM

Previous versions of PetKal's message #11369784 « Gear duck IF tip for Jerry etc. »