Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · Lil Sis.....
  
 
Bob Jarman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Lil Sis.....


Equal time for Abby...thoughts?

Regards,

Bob




  NIKON D7000    17.0-55.0 mm f/2.8 lens    55mm    f/4.5    1/200s    450 ISO    0.0 EV  




Dec 16, 2012 at 12:29 AM
ben egbert
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Lil Sis.....


Cute, nice treatment of the eyes.


Dec 16, 2012 at 01:02 AM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Lil Sis.....


Excellent eye contact.


Dec 16, 2012 at 02:42 AM
sbeme
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Lil Sis.....


eyes are great
tight crop mirrors subject nicely, all snuggled in
you are really acing these!!

Scott



Dec 16, 2012 at 03:12 AM
AuntiPode
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Lil Sis.....


Sweet capture.

Perhaps a bit more gamma around the face, sharpen her eyes a bit, bump the mid-tone and fade 50%, and dodge her eyes a little?









Dec 16, 2012 at 07:59 AM
Bob Jarman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Lil Sis.....


Ben, RustyBug, sbeme, AuntiPode

Thank you all for looking and your helpful observations.

Scott re "acing" - perhaps but only after practice, practice, practice, and the many helpful comments, reworks, and criticism of many FM'ers over the years.

Regards to all,

Bob



Dec 16, 2012 at 06:22 PM
Bob Jarman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Lil Sis.....


AuntiPode wrote:
Sweet capture.

Perhaps a bit more gamma around the face, sharpen her eyes a bit, bump the mid-tone and fade 50%, and dodge her eyes a little?




Karen,

First, excellent re-work

What distinguishes fade from opacity other than the ability to apply a different blending mode? Would you elaborate please?

Bob



Dec 16, 2012 at 06:24 PM
ben egbert
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Lil Sis.....


Bob Jarman wrote:
Karen,

First, excellent re-work

What distinguishes fade from opacity other than the ability to apply a different blending mode? Would you elaborate please?

Bob


Same question here and while at it, how do you bump midtones? Do you just drag the curve up in curves?



Dec 16, 2012 at 07:09 PM
AuntiPode
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Lil Sis.....


As far as I know, if you make a combined layer copy, you bump the mid-tones with USM and use the opacity to accomplish a similar effect to a fade. Fading a USM change is just one one to do it without using a separate layer. The separate layer method is more general and is easy to change your mind later and alter the degree of change. If I remember correctly, you applied the USM to a smart layer, you could change the fade later, too.


Dec 16, 2012 at 07:15 PM
AuntiPode
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Lil Sis.....


Ben, when I bump the mid-tone contrast, I use the Unsharp Mask (USM) at about 16, 60, 0 - a tip I picked up reading Ctein.


Dec 16, 2012 at 07:16 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



ben egbert
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · Lil Sis.....


Ok, low amount large radius usm, sometimes called fog buster. I have an action similar to this.


Dec 16, 2012 at 07:22 PM
Oregon Gal
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Lil Sis.....


Great capture, really like Abby's expression. Karen's suggestions addressed any minor concerns I had.


Dec 16, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Bob Jarman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · Lil Sis.....


AuntiPode wrote:
As far as I know, if you make a combined layer copy, you bump the mid-tones with USM and use the opacity to accomplish a similar effect to a fade. Fading a USM change is just one one to do it without using a separate layer. The separate layer method is more general and is easy to change your mind later and alter the degree of change. If I remember correctly, you applied the USM to a smart layer, you could change the fade later, too.


Thanks Karen,

I've read about and used the technique (as described by Kilby) but really did not know the nuance versus opacity.

Bob



Dec 17, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Bob Jarman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · Lil Sis.....


Oregon Gal wrote:
Great capture, really like Abby's expression. Karen's suggestions addressed any minor concerns I had.



Oregon Gal,

Thanks for looking and your comments.

She was, at the moment tolerating the whole thing since she was outside, on the go, in her stroller....a pleasant distraction from her inside disposition defined currently by how she feels about the 4 molars working their way toward penetrating the gums.

Regards,

Bob



Dec 17, 2012 at 12:13 AM
gneto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · Lil Sis.....


My $0.02...

I think you overdid the darkening close to the bordes of the frame. Her eyes are such powerful magnets, you don't need much to draw attention to them. Your original image makes me feel "imprisoned" or "trapped" in the very center of the image, and it's already a tight crop, made it feel even tighter. Also, I believe some very little darkening of her right cheek (on the left of the image) would better delineate her face.

Here's an illustration of what I mean, hope you don't mind me playing with it, otherwise let me know and I'll remove it:

EDIT - image removed



Oh yeah, other than that, it's really nice. And OMG!, how come she has such beautiful eyes? If I ever have a daughter, I want her eyes like that!

Edited on Dec 18, 2012 at 03:00 AM · View previous versions



Dec 17, 2012 at 09:09 PM
Bob Jarman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · Lil Sis.....


gneto wrote:
My $0.02...

I think you overdid the darkening close to the bordes of the frame. Her eyes are such powerful magnets, you don't need much to draw attention to them. Your original image makes me feel "imprisoned" or "trapped" in the very center of the image, and it's already a tight crop, made it feel even tighter. Also, I believe some very little darkening of her right cheek (on the left of the image) would better delineate her face.

Here's an illustration of what I mean, hope you don't mind me playing with it, otherwise let me know and I'll remove
...Show more

gneto,

Thank you for the comments and re-work. I like the contouring of the cheek. The lighter ULHC & URHCs give me a sense of flatness where darkening adds, to my eye, perspective - perhaps somewhere in between?

I do ask however that reworks of my images not be hosted on Flickr - my hang up, I know.

That aside, thanks again, and, don't let the eyes deceive, she'll pop an attitude with very little, if any, provocation.

regards,

Bob





Dec 18, 2012 at 12:02 AM
gneto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · Lil Sis.....


Bob Jarman wrote:
I do ask however that reworks of my images not be hosted on Flickr.



Sure thing, it's already gone. I'm sorry, I'm not comfortable uploading other's photos there as well, but I don't really have anywhere else to upload to.



Dec 18, 2012 at 02:59 AM
Bob Jarman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · Lil Sis.....


gneto wrote:
Sure thing, it's already gone. I'm sorry, I'm not comfortable uploading other's photos there as well, but I don't really have anywhere else to upload to.


Not a problem and thank you, I think most of us upload directly to FM which requires a membership. And I understand there are no guarantees about FM posts being misused elsewhere.

My Flickr hang up: a good friend found some of her images posted on Flickr being used elsewhere plus it seems most Flickr posts have the Exif stripped from them. I think there is a conscious work-around but it requires extra effort. Too, I don't like the idea of images, anyone's images, being harvested and posted elsewhere by web-bots.

A common demo of newer programming languages is to snap together several modules that cruise Flickr (and similar sites) vacuuming up images and posting them on a 'wall' for display - Silverlight™ and Java™ to name two. Neat, quick, and very effective.

Perhaps someone knows of another alternative?

Thanks for your re-work effort and understanding,

Regards,

Bob


Edited on Dec 19, 2012 at 01:12 AM · View previous versions



Dec 18, 2012 at 01:37 PM
gneto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · Lil Sis.....


Bob Jarman wrote:
Not a problem and thank you, I think most of us upload directly to FM which requires a membership.


Ok, let me try with a FM membership now...










Dec 18, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Bob Jarman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · Lil Sis.....


gneto wrote:
Ok, let me try with a FM membership now...




Got it

And welcome to FM!

Regards,

Bob



Dec 18, 2012 at 11:46 PM





FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password