Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lightroom 4.2 - Dual Core vs Quad Core?

FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom 4.2 - Dual Core vs Quad Core?

The slowest parts of Lightroom 4 for me are applying changes from control sliders to 24mpx images and also zooming in as well.

I'm trying to decide between getting the 2.6ghz Quadcore Macbook Pro Retina 15" vs the 2.9ghz Dual core Retina 13" Macbook Pro. They both turboboost to 3.6ghz when necessary.

From what I understand Lightroom isn't a very multi-threaded app unless you're doing exports while also still working. Outside of this case, for the basic cases of editing an image and zooming in, Dual Core vs Quad Core won't make any difference right?

I just really prefer the form factor of the 13" Retina vs the 15" It just feels better to me. Also from what I understand, the GPU doesn't matter here since LR won't have GPU acceleration.

Nov 28, 2012 at 03:54 PM
Benjamin Hicks

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom 4.2 - Dual Core vs Quad Core?

the quadcore i7 has hyperthreading which enables one virtual core per physical core = 8 cores (4 physical, 4 virtual). this isnt really crucial for lightroom editing, but if you decide to get into anything heavier (a lot of image processing for timelapses, etc) then those extra..."6" cores would come in handy (also more future proof). going from lightroom to photoshop will also be a snap. definitely get the SSD (i think they require it on that model) - this will make the biggest difference in your computing. you can also get a "data-doubler" which allows for two HDDs/SSDs in the mbp - but means you have to remove the dvd drive. who uses DVD's and CD's anyway?...oh yeah clients... but you can get an external burner for that!! with the 15" retina you also get a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M - which when coupled with the intel 4000 graphics...performs quite swimmingly. for lightroom it wont make a big difference - but it certainly will if you do any photoshopping. might have been a bit jumbled - 2nd cup of coffee to start the day.

edit:

i guess i didn't really give an opinion...the i5 would work very well for you especially coupled with the SSD - but the i7 would last longer and be a bit quicker off the line.

Edited on Nov 28, 2012 at 04:12 PM · View previous versions

Nov 28, 2012 at 04:05 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom 4.2 - Dual Core vs Quad Core?

Yeah they only offer SSDs. I'm actually going to upgrade them with the OWC Aura drives which are much faster than factory Apple SSD drives.

Nov 28, 2012 at 04:11 PM
Benjamin Hicks

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom 4.2 - Dual Core vs Quad Core?

i've been rocking two 512gb m4's in my i7 and have been loving it. have heard great things abouw the owc drives - although a bit over priced.

Nov 28, 2012 at 04:16 PM
Hammy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom 4.2 - Dual Core vs Quad Core?

Alot may have been answered here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1165920

Nov 28, 2012 at 04:52 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom 4.2 - Dual Core vs Quad Core?

4 core will be faster than 2 core for sure. When I've had the system activity monitor running while I work in the develop module it would use all four cores - and a lot more than half capacity each. There are some things that will not speed up and some that will.

Speed of lightroom is affected by the number of pixels being displayed, which of course is greater for a retina high-res screen than for most other screens. If you don't use all of the screen then it will just be too small on a 13", so look forward to a bit of slow down as you enjoy the screen quality.

Don't apply noise reduction until you really have to because it slows Lr down considerably - not just when you apply it but every time you revisit that image in the develop module. Lr can be quite snappy without the NR hand brake on.

I'm waiting for a different MBP form factor that offers more USB ports and others, and allows two internal drives. Naturally I'm not holding my breath while I wait but I'll give it a year or so.

Nov 28, 2012 at 07:41 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom 4.2 - Dual Core vs Quad Core?

I have just purchased the 13" Retina MacBook Pro. This is not my main machine but I wanted something that will last, a little lightweight and not too bulky. If it were my only machine I would have gone with the 15" and maxed out the ram.

After research, I decided to go with the dual i5 as there is no noticable difference with the i7 but I did upgrade the SSD to 256GB. I do not use lightroom but use Aperture. I have the thing loaded up with Aperture, Final Cut Pro, PS6, Office, Capture1 and a few others.

From cold, it boots to the desktop in 5 seconds. Photoshop loads in 2 seconds. Final cut pro loads in 4 seconds. I am really happy with the purchase.

Nov 28, 2012 at 08:05 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom 4.2 - Dual Core vs Quad Core?

Lightroom has an affinity for cores rather than hyperthreads.

Nov 28, 2012 at 09:59 PM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightroom 4.2 - Dual Core vs Quad Core?

morganb4 wrote:
Lightroom has an affinity for cores rather than hyperthreads.

Ben,

I noticed that on your MacOS testing, but with my i7 in Win7, I didn't notice any segregation - all 'cores' whether physical or virtual had the same utilization in my LR4 testing.

Does the MacOS parlay the instructions to physical cores over virtual ones?

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lightroom 4.2 - Dual Core vs Quad Core?

Hammy, it depends what you are doing. I can repeat the test on win and macOS on the same system so you could argue that its hardware specific but I saw nothing to suggest that it was OS specific. Also the size of the file has a bit to do with it too.

My observation was that with highlight / shadow or clarity elected, the noise slider uses only 4 cores yet with those sliders at zero, more threads are utilised. This ties with 15bit's conclusion that LR prefers real cores over virtualised ones.

Im now on a 6 core and its um...'better' but you know, 50% of a pile of shit is still shit. My conclusion is that throwing more resources isn't really going to fix the problem completely, just make it more manageable.

OP:
Hammy, 15bit and myself were involved in a fairly detailed thread that analysed its performance. You should look at that thread. Don't just take peoples word that more of x will be better.

Nov 30, 2012 at 08:54 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lightroom 4.2 - Dual Core vs Quad Core?

Ben,

How is the 6 core solution working out? If you can update the other thread with your observations / conclusions it would be great to have all the info in one place for us to point folk in the future.

Nov 30, 2012 at 02:54 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lightroom 4.2 - Dual Core vs Quad Core?

OK sorry for delay, have had a lot on and getting the x79 board set up under mac os has been a COW in the utmost.

Yes its better.
Is it much better? No
Have I seen a big improvement in noise slider behaviour due to the different platform? No
Have I seen an improvement only in-line with extra grunt? Yes
Are LR Noise sliders better with HT off? Seemingly yes.
Is it screamingly fast and fun to use? Yes

Was it worth it? Well.... I sank about 25+ hours into getting it right including an RMA due to a screwed BIOS, I got unbelievably frustrated but pressed on to get a MacOs based solution on it and still had to spend extra money on an external Audio solution.

So yeah after about $1100, 25+ hours of work, late nights, cut fingers on cases, lost time and an incremental perfromance improvement, I would have to say through gritted teeth and with a slightly robotic glare: "yes, it was totally worth it, best decission i ever made etc etc" :-[ (buyer psychology).

Still its an improvement, its an improvement I needed that drags the problem back into the 'workable' range but it was an expensive improvement. Also, Im overclocked to 4.5GHz @ 1.375Vcore. I cant seem to get past this so I reckon Im at the ceiling of my chip. If you are considering a jump based on my results, you need to be prepared to O/C with at least a closed loop H100 water cooler.

15bit. Your conclusions appear to be prophetic.

Edited on Dec 04, 2012 at 11:51 PM · View previous versions

Dec 04, 2012 at 09:40 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lightroom 4.2 - Dual Core vs Quad Core?

As far as zooming in goes are you downloading with 1:1 previews? That will speed things up in that regard though it lengthens the initial download.

brad

Dec 04, 2012 at 09:43 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lightroom 4.2 - Dual Core vs Quad Core?

I dont think rendering 1:1 previews will have an effect on the operation of Noise Sliders.

Dec 04, 2012 at 09:45 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lightroom 4.2 - Dual Core vs Quad Core?

morganb4 wrote:
15bit. Your conclusions appear to be prophetic.

That was my hope. Of course you never know until someone tests your prophesies for you

It's good that you are at least partially happy with the performance of your new beast, even though LR performance is not transformed as you might hope. If you are cutting your fingers on your PC case i would suggest buying a new one - its many years since i had one so poorly finished and the its well worth the investment for a decent case.

When you have 5 mins could you throw an update on the end of the original thread, just so we have all the knowledge in one place for the future? Its a good resource to point people to when they ask.

Dec 04, 2012 at 09:59 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lightroom 4.2 - Dual Core vs Quad Core?

morganb4 wrote:
I dont think rendering 1:1 previews will have an effect on the operation of Noise Sliders.

I didn't say it would.

brad

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:03 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lightroom 4.2 - Dual Core vs Quad Core?

^Uh yeah, sorry misread. Its ok. Its not something that was a tremendous issue for me but yes its better - in line with expectations from going from 4 to 6 physical cores

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:39 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lightroom 4.2 - Dual Core vs Quad Core?

15Bit wrote:
That was my hope. Of course you never know until someone tests your prophesies for you

It's good that you are at least partially happy with the performance of your new beast, even though LR performance is not transformed as you might hope. If you are cutting your fingers on your PC case i would suggest buying a new one - its many years since i had one so poorly finished and the its well worth the investment for a decent case.

When you have 5 mins could you throw an update on the end of the original thread, just
...Show more

Its only because I put it together wrong and had to contort my fingers into places to fit cables that should have gone on fist, otherwise it meant taking out the radiator assembly :-| I did consider a new case but I didnt have the $$$ for it and I like this one.

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:41 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password