Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of morganb4's message #11165935 « Lightroom 4.2 - Dual Core vs Quad Core? »

morganb4
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Lightroom 4.2 - Dual Core vs Quad Core?

OK sorry for delay, have had a lot on and getting the x79 board set up under mac os has been a COW in the utmost.

Yes its better.
Is it much better? No
Have I seen a big improvement in noise slider behaviour due to the different platform? No
Have I seen an improvement only in-line with extra grunt? Yes
Are LR Noise sliders better with HT off? Seemingly yes.
Is it screamingly fast and fun to use? Yes

Was it worth it? Well.... I sank about 25+ hours into getting it right including an RMA due to a screwed BIOS, I got unbelievably frustrated but pressed on to get a MacOs based solution on it and still had to spend extra money on an external Audio solution.

So yeah after about $1100, 25+ hours of work, late nights, cut fingers on cases, lost time and an incremental perfromance improvement, I would have to say through gritted teeth and with a slightly robotic glare: "yes, it was totally worth it, best decission i ever made etc etc" :-[ (buyer psychology).

Still its an improvement, its an improvement I needed that drags the problem back into the 'workable' range but it was an expensive improvement.

15bit. Your conclusions appear to be prophetic.

Dec 04, 2012 at 09:44 PM
morganb4
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Lightroom 4.2 - Dual Core vs Quad Core?

OK sorry for delay, have had a lot on and getting the x79 board set up under mac os has been a COW in the utmost.

Yes its better.
Is it much better? No
Have I seen a big improvement in noise slider behaviour due to the different platform? No
Have I seen an improvement only in-line with extra grunt? Yes
Are LR Noise sliders better with HT off? Seemingly yes.
Is it screamingly fast and fun to use? Yes

Was it worth it? Well.... I sank about 25+ hours into getting it right including an RMA due to a screwed BIOS, I got unbelievably frustrated but pressed on to get a MacOs based solution on it and still had to spend extra money on an external Audio solution.

So yeah after about $1100, 25+ hours of work, late nights, cut fingers on cases, lost time and an incremental perfromance improvement, I would have to say through gritted teeth and with a slightly robotic glare: "yes, it was totally worth it, best decission i ever made etc etc" :-|

Still its an improvement, its an improvement I needed that drags the problem back into the 'workable' range but it was an expensive improvement.

15bit. Your conclusions appear to be prophetic.

Dec 04, 2012 at 09:40 PM

Previous versions of morganb4's message #11165935 « Lightroom 4.2 - Dual Core vs Quad Core? »