fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       2695              2697       2698       end
  

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

  
 
NightOwl Cat
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2696 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Color version.

serge07 wrote:
HI, everyone:

Matt, your work on the 135/3.5 paid off, excellent series with terrific colors.

Alex, congratulations on the 28/2.0 AIs, great shots.

Jako, great composition.

Ken, great captures at the dahlia festival, nice colors.

This is my fave view of Manhattan unfortunately not so easy to photograph from this view point.

I could not decide between versions;
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/55551986698_d42fd14f2c_h.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/55551880691_0ab00e08d2_h.jpg
X-E1 + 28/2.8 AIs
Serge





Sep 27, 2026 at 09:22 AM
lumenspixel
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2696 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Saint-Malo | Brittany | Nikon E 100 2,8

This lens does not get the hype of the 105 2,5 and indeed it does not cope with direct front light. But I like the size, weight and outcome.


Sans titre by lumens pixel, sur Flickr



Sep 27, 2026 at 10:35 AM
pbraymond
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2696 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


The colors have started in patches. 200mm f4.0 Micro AI.












Sep 27, 2026 at 01:54 PM
lumenspixel
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2696 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


- "Darling, where did you park the car?"


Nikon AI 35 2,8


Peugeot 406 by lumens pixel, sur Flickr



Sep 27, 2026 at 05:31 PM
jimmuller
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2696 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Just how good is this lens? 105mm f/2.5 P-C

NOAA Oceanographic vessel of some sort.
Oceanography
by James Muller, on Flickr

OceanographyFullResolution
by James Muller, on Flickr



Sep 28, 2026 at 06:50 AM
jimmuller
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2696 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


105mm f/2.5 P-C
DeadTrees
by James Muller, on Flickr

Marsh
by James Muller, on Flickr

MushroomColony
by James Muller, on Flickr
The mushrooms had a good year.



Sep 28, 2026 at 06:52 AM
AlexCruise
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2696 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


serge07 wrote:
Thanks, Alex. NYC would e a good place to exercise your 28/2.0.

I also have the 35/1.8 G which is a great lens on the D40 and Fuji S5.

Nice wheels!

Serge


I got the 28/2 AIS | 50/1.2 AIS | 85/1.4 AIS | 105/2.5 AI ... id probably exercise all 4lenses .... Midwest a bit boring!




Sep 28, 2026 at 07:09 AM
serge07
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2696 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


NightOwl Cat wrote:
Color version.


Laura, this is the better of the two for color.





X-E1 + 28/2.8 AIs
Serge



Sep 28, 2026 at 08:46 AM
jonshonda
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2696 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


On my shopping watch list are the following Nikon MF lenses;
28mm 2.8 w/ CRC (are there versions of this lens that are better then others?)
105 f/2.5 AIS
135 f/2.8 AIS
200 f/4 AIS

I'm looking at the following AF-D lenses
60 f/2.8 Micro
105/135 f/2 DC
180 f2.8

I currently have the following;
50 f/1.8d
85 f/1.4d
105 f2.8d
200 f/4 AF-D Micro
300 f/4 AF-S
400 f2.8 AF-S
Zooms
24-70 f2.8
70-200 f2.8 VR1

My goal would be to have most of my bases covered. My interests are typically my kids sports, vintage industrial, nature/wildlife. I really liked the older AIS lenses for vintage industrial.


Edited on Sep 28, 2026 at 01:53 PM · View previous versions



Sep 28, 2026 at 09:31 AM
grantgoodes
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2696 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


jonshonda wrote:
On my shopping watch list are the following Nikon MF lenses;
28mm 2.8 w/ CRC (are there versions of this lens that are better then others?)
105 f/2.5 AIS
135 f/2.8 AIS
200 f/4 AIS

I'm looking at the following AF-D lenses
60 f/2.8 Micro
105/135 f/2 DC
180 f2.8


I've never owned the 28/2.8 or /2, but looked into them when I was considering replacing my 24/2.8 non-AI. In the end, I chose the 24/2 AiS, but my research indicated the 28/2.8 with its close-focus of 0.2m is a great lens, and the 28/2 might be even better in some cases (less vignetting and CA). One thing to watch out for is that the CRC mechanism of these lenses is quite delicate, and if the lens was ever subject to a shock can be knocked out of adjustment and the lens will look fine but perform poorly: Some comparison testing of more than one copy might be a good idea.

The 105/2.5 AiS is my favourite classic Nikkor: Just get one!

I own a 105/2 DC, and it's amazing, but pretty pricey. I chose it over the 135/2 DC as I prefer 105mm for portraits, and the 135mm version seems to go for more money for some reason.

The 180/2.8D is easily found for bargain prices these days, since everyone seems to prefer an 80~200/2.8 zoom over a prime 180mm. If you're OK with the early non-D version in shiny-plastic, you can _really_ save some money for exactly the same optics.



Sep 28, 2026 at 09:58 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

pbraymond
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2696 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


jimmuller wrote:
Just how good is this lens? 105mm f/2.5 P-C

NOAA Oceanographic vessel of some sort.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/55555190212_19ef65ce80_b.jpgOceanography
by James Muller, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/55556609685_5f77979144_z.jpgOceanographyFullResolution
by James Muller, on Flickr


Great detail, especially from that distance Jim. Good steady hands!

---------------------------------------------

AlexCruise wrote:
I got the 28/2 AIS | 50/1.2 AIS | 85/1.4 AIS | 105/2.5 AI ... id probably exercise all 4lenses .... Midwest a bit boring!



I like to say very different opportunities :-)

---------------------------------------------

jonshonda wrote:
On my shopping watch list are the following Nikon MF lenses;
28mm 2.8 w/ CRC (are there versions of this lens that are better then others?)
105 f/2.5 AIS
135 f/2.8 AIS
200 f/4 AIS

I'm looking at the following AF-D lenses
60 f/2.8 Micro
105/135 f/2 DC
180 f2.8

I currently have the following;
50 f/1.8d
85 f/1.4d
105 f2.8d
200 f/f Micro
300 f/4 AF-S
400 f2.8 AF-S
Zooms
24-70 f2.8
70-200 f2.8 VR1

My goal would be to have most of my bases covered. My interests are typically my kids sports, vintage industrial, nature/wildlife. I really liked the older AIS lenses for vintage industrial.


You did not identify whether it was the 200 f4 MF micro or just the regular tele. Here's a couple from the "non-micro" 200 f4. Really nice and compact lens, with built in sliding hood. Wish that would make a comeback!















Sep 28, 2026 at 11:36 AM
DeltaSigma
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2696 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


jonshonda wrote:
On my shopping watch list are the following Nikon MF lenses;
28mm 2.8 w/ CRC (are there versions of this lens that are better then others?)
105 f/2.5 AIS
135 f/2.8 AIS
200 f/4 AIS

I'm looking at the following AF-D lenses
60 f/2.8 Micro
105/135 f/2 DC
180 f2.8

I currently have the following;
50 f/1.8d
85 f/1.4d
105 f2.8d
200 f/f Micro
300 f/4 AF-S
400 f2.8 AF-S
Zooms
24-70 f2.8
70-200 f2.8 VR1

My goal would be to have most of my bases covered. My interests are typically my kids sports, vintage industrial, nature/wildlife. I really liked the older AIS lenses for vintage industrial.


Jon (?)
The 105/2.5 and 135/2.8 are close enough in FL that I wouldn't bother with the 135.
I have both lenses and usually reach for the 105/2.5 since it is so good.

DSC_2921: Neglected boat in Salcombe estuary by Colin McIntosh, on Flickr

I have a Flickr album for the 105/2.5 here https://www.flickr.com/photos/deltasigma/albums/72157716249244752/


The 200/4 is a neat little performer.

DSC_7269: Antitheses of Ben by Colin McIntosh, on Flickr

I have a Flickr album for the 200/4 here https://www.flickr.com/photos/deltasigma/albums/72157706052006684/

Colin




Sep 28, 2026 at 12:01 PM
jimmuller
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2696 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


pbraymond wrote:
Great detail, especially from that distance Jim. Good steady hands!


Thank you!
...
pbraymond wrote:
You did not identify whether it was the 200 f4 MF micro or just the regular tele. Here's a couple from the "non-micro" 200 f4. Really nice and compact lens, with built in sliding hood. Wish that would make a comeback!


Nice, subtle pics (as yours always are). My version of the 200mm f/4 is labeled Q, produced from 1971 to 1973. I probably bought mine in 1973. It is one of my favorite lenses. A year or so later they upgraded it, made it shorter and lighter, changed the focus ring. I imagine it produces similar images.



Sep 28, 2026 at 04:05 PM
saph
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2696 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


105 2.5 Nikkor any version is a fantastic lens, that's a must!!!

The mention of 200 f4 Q made me reach back into my albums. This is from late 2019.
000524500032 by Maryland Photos, on Flickr

F5, 200 f/4 Q and Ektachrome E100.



Sep 29, 2026 at 03:28 AM
jonshonda
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2696 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


grantgoodes wrote:
I've never owned the 28/2.8 or /2, but looked into them when I was considering replacing my 24/2.8 non-AI. In the end, I chose the 24/2 AiS, but my research indicated the 28/2.8 with its close-focus of 0.2m is a great lens, and the 28/2 might be even better in some cases (less vignetting and CA). One thing to watch out for is that the CRC mechanism of these lenses is quite delicate, and if the lens was ever subject to a shock can be knocked out of adjustment and the lens will look fine but perform poorly: Some comparison
...Show more →

Ok I will also put the 28/2 on my list.

Seems like while the 105/135DC are amazing, the additional price over the 2.5 might not hold water for my purposes. I honestly don't like photographing people, just stuff. haha

I don't like the shiny version of the 180 2.8, and am a sucker for the wrinkle finish of that era.
---------------------------------------------

pbraymond wrote:
You did not identify whether it was the 200 f4 MF micro or just the regular tele. Here's a couple from the "non-micro" 200 f4. Really nice and compact lens, with built in sliding hood. Wish that would make a comeback!


I've got the big 200mm f/4 AF-D Micro. It's a tank, and focuses just about as quickly as I could by hand.
---------------------------------------------

DeltaSigma wrote:
Jon (?)
The 105/2.5 and 135/2.8 are close enough in FL that I wouldn't bother with the 135.
I have both lenses and usually reach for the 105/2.5 since it is so good.

I have a Flickr album for the 200/4 here https://www.flickr.com/photos/deltasigma/albums/72157706052006684/

Colin



Thanks Colin, I lust for the DC versions mostly because of their legacy, but agree that the 105 2.5 will likely be the wise choice at this point in my life.
---------------------------------------------

saph wrote:
105 2.5 Nikkor any version is a fantastic lens, that's a must!!!

The mention of 200 f4 Q made me reach back into my albums. This is from late 2019.

F5, 200 f/4 Q and Ektachrome E100.


I'm getting the hint that the 2.5 needs to be on the list. haha

Also seems like the 200 would be fun.




Sep 29, 2026 at 06:06 AM
jimmuller
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2696 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Yesterday was a day of misty rain from the coastal storm. (Today will be rainy too.) We did a long walk anyway. I carried the Z5ii and somehow managed to keep it dry. The 105m from the previous day wasn't quite enough for the birds we saw so I took the 1.4 x 300mm f/4.5 AIS. The rain made everything distant look gray and hazy.
HazyColor
by James Muller, on Flickr

Got lots of pics good enough for us to identify the birds we saw. Also got these, rather exotic for us. Worth carrying all that glass.

Greater Yellowlegs, a species of sandpiper. Most certainly migrating, stopped for a quick bite on the way.
GreaterYellowlegs
by James Muller, on Flickr

GreaterYellowlegs2
by James Muller, on Flickr

Swamp Sparrow, not unusual but solitary and reclusive, hard to photograph.
SwampSparrow
by James Muller, on Flickr



Sep 29, 2026 at 06:20 AM
jimmuller
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2696 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


jonshonda wrote:
I'm getting the hint that the 2.5 needs to be on the list. haha


The 105mm f/2.5 is one of two lenses that members here forced me to buy under threat of bodily harm. The other is the 55mm f/3.5 Micro. I love both of them!



Sep 29, 2026 at 06:55 AM
jonshonda
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2696 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


jimmuller wrote:
The 105mm f/2.5 is one of two lenses that members here forced me to buy under threat of bodily harm. The other is the 55mm f/3.5 Micro. I love both of them!


With friends like that who needs enemies!!!




Sep 29, 2026 at 07:24 AM
grantgoodes
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2696 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


jimmuller wrote:
The 105mm f/2.5 is one of two lenses that members here forced me to buy under threat of bodily harm. The other is the 55mm f/3.5 Micro. I love both of them!


Yeah, the 105/2.5 is the only Nikkor I've ever sold and then re-purchased. Not to mention I now have 3 copies: An early AI'ed Sonnar, an early AiS with NIC coatings, and a late AiS with SIC coatings. So, yes, a mandatory lens for any MF Nikon shooter.

For Macro, I prefer longer focal lengths, so the 55mm Micro never attracted my attention.

Three more lenses that this list seems to be getting kick-backs on are the Nikkor-S 58/1.4 plus the series E 100/2.8 and 75~150/3.5. The 100/2.8 is "cheap-as-chips" as my Irish wife likes to say, but I still prefer the 105/2.5. I've had the 75~150/3.5 since it was new and it is a VERY nice travel lens, but many copies have zoom-creep (actually, it's usually more like no zoom resistance at all). I'm still resisting the list-pressure to pick up the 58/1.4S, but we'll see how long that lasts (no death threats yet!)



Sep 29, 2026 at 07:46 AM
jimmuller
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2696 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


jonshonda wrote:
With friends like that who needs enemies!!!



With ferns like these who needs anemones?

GreenFerns
by James Muller, on Flickr

I don't recall which lens was used for this.



Sep 29, 2026 at 08:13 AM
1       2       3       …       2695              2697       2698       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       2695              2697       2698       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account