fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       15              17       …       20       21       end
  

Archive 2009 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?

  
 
Will Patterson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #1 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Oh and I'm kinda ticked that my photo file count is now at 9,xxx whereas it was at 4,xxx when I sent it in


Mar 20, 2009 at 04:04 PM
brainiac
Offline
[X]
p.16 #2 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Will Patterson wrote:
Oh and I'm kinda ticked that my photo file count is now at 9,xxx whereas it was at 4,xxx when I sent it in


Holy crap! It took them 4000 exposures not to fix your camera? Don't be vexed, be glad that they expended so much effort on it.



Mar 20, 2009 at 04:11 PM
brainiac
Offline
[X]
p.16 #3 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Will Patterson wrote:
I did these in PS CS4 (ACR), I still don't get how you guys are prorcessing them in DPP.


brightness: +2 (maximum)
picture style: faithful
white balance: daylight
contrast: 0 (minimum)
sharpening: 0 (minimum)
Auto-lighting optimiser: off
Noise reduction: off
Lens aberration correction: off

At this stage the image still looks completely black. Now export directly to Photoshop.

In Photoshop run a levels adjustment and set highlight input to 25 instead of 255 as follows:
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/levels.jpg

Downrez to 900 pixels wide and save as jpeg (or for web).



Mar 20, 2009 at 04:17 PM
Daan B
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #4 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


brainiac wrote:
At this stage the image still looks completely black. Now export directly to Photoshop.


To do this open menu tools and select "transfer to PS"



Mar 20, 2009 at 04:19 PM
MartijnM
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #5 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Daan B: are you using SRGB of Adobe RGB colorspace in DPP? I tried both and get different pattern noise. Pattern in SRGB is less obvious...strange


Mar 20, 2009 at 05:22 PM
Will Patterson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #6 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


brainiac wrote:
brightness: +2 (maximum)
picture style: faithful
white balance: daylight
contrast: 0 (minimum)
sharpening: 0 (minimum)
Auto-lighting optimiser: off
Noise reduction: off
Lens aberration correction: off

At this stage the image still looks completely black. Now export directly to Photoshop.

In Photoshop run a levels adjustment and set highlight input to 25 instead of 255 as follows:
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/levels.jpg

Downrez to 900 pixels wide and save as jpeg (or for web).


Ok, got it, here they are:

http://willp-photo.com/5DII/ISO100_beforeDPP.jpg


http://willp-photo.com/5DII/ISO100_afterDPP.jpg



Mar 20, 2009 at 06:02 PM
brainiac
Offline
[X]
p.16 #7 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Looks like Canon took out the sensor, rotated it by 180°, and stuck it back in.      8(


Mar 20, 2009 at 07:09 PM
Daan B
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #8 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


MartijnM wrote:
Daan B: are you using SRGB of Adobe RGB colorspace in DPP? I tried both and get different pattern noise. Pattern in SRGB is less obvious...strange


I used sRGB in DPP for the 1Ds3 files myself... Did a comparison between sRGB and aRGB in DPP and you are right... the aRGB file shows more noise. The pattern is a little less obvious using sRGB. Strange indeed.



Mar 21, 2009 at 01:39 AM
Daan B
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #9 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


A renewed comparison of 5D2's and 1Ds3's tested following the same procedure:

I assume everybody else used the aRGB color space in DPP? I redid my test shot using aRGB in DPP. Now it is more on par with Digital Bean's 1Ds3.

It looks like Will's 5D2 ISO100 file fits right in the middle between the other 5D2 files and 1Ds3 files. It definetely looks better than Brainiac's 5D2.

So, if everybody has converted his files exactly the same way, you may conclude that some 5D2's are actually worse than the others.

Brainiac's 5D2 @ ISO 100
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/iso100black_lowrez.jpg

Jonathan's 5D2 @ ISO 100
http://i40./29ofnsz.jpg

Buster H's 5D2 @ ISO 100
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3580/3354476330_f721f167b0_o.jpg

WIll's 5D2 @ ISO 100
http://willp-photo.com/5DII/ISO100_afterDPP.jpg

Digital Bean's 1Ds3 @ ISO 100
http://akimagery.zenfolio.com/img/v7/p237348112.jpg

Daan B's 1Ds3 @ ISO 100 (aRGB color space)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3549/3371556147_cc3624eccd_o.jpg



Mar 21, 2009 at 02:11 AM
MartijnM
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #10 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


My 5dII:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3466/3371842925_af83acdd90_o.jpg


sRGB DPP => CS4 (working space adobe RGB) but used embedded colorprofile sRGB 1.31 canon



Mar 21, 2009 at 06:23 AM
brainiac
Offline
[X]
p.16 #11 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Thanks for doing that, Daan. I still haven't seen any significant discrepancies between any of the 5D2's.


Mar 21, 2009 at 06:43 AM
Daan B
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #12 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


brainiac wrote:
Thanks for doing that, Daan. I still haven't seen any significant discrepancies between any of the 5D2's.


You're welcome

It is just that your ISO 100 sample shows more distinct criss cross patterns as Will's ISO 100 sample. But maybe I am seeing things that aren't there



Mar 21, 2009 at 07:27 AM
brainiac
Offline
[X]
p.16 #13 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Daan B wrote:
It is just that your ISO 100 sample shows more distinct criss cross patterns as Will's ISO 100 sample. But maybe I am seeing things that aren't there


Apart from saturation, I don't see any significant difference:
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/iso100black_lowrez.jpg
http://willp-photo.com/5DII/ISO100_afterDPP.jpg



Mar 21, 2009 at 08:01 AM
Will Patterson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #14 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


I do believe I was using sRGB and not aRGB. Might account for the differences in color.


Mar 21, 2009 at 09:48 AM
Will Patterson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #15 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Wow, kind of a big difference in noise color. Here is the same process done but in the aRGB work color space in DPP -

http://willp-photo.com/5DII/ISO100_afterDPP_aRGB.jpg



Mar 21, 2009 at 10:01 AM
Daan B
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #16 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Will Patterson wrote:
I do believe I was using sRGB and not aRGB. Might account for the differences in color.


Yeah, that might explain things... sRGB seems to generate less noise/less obvious patterns.



Mar 21, 2009 at 11:44 AM
Dawei Ye
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #17 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


I find this camera to be quite disturbing in low contrast and low ISO sometimes

e.g. Here's my 5D2 at ISO 200 sooc, raw conversion, no NR, no PP, no Sharpening, no ALO, no HTP, no Vignette Correction etc:

http://dawei.zenfolio.com/img/v5/p985985821-4.jpg
100%:
http://dawei.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p829402296.jpg

I'll do that lens cap thing soon too



Mar 28, 2009 at 04:28 AM
FashionBoy
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #18 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Okay did the test, f2.8 1/60.

ISO 100 http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6827/iso100.jpg

ISO 200 http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8366/iso200w.jpg

How did I do



Mar 28, 2009 at 11:01 PM
Daan B
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #19 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Here is the updated comparison... FWIW

The difference between the 5D2 files is most probably due to the different color space used in the conversion (sRGB vs aRGB).

Brainiac's 5D2 @ ISO 100
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/iso100black_lowrez.jpg

Jonathan's 5D2 @ ISO 100
http://i40./29ofnsz.jpg

Buster H's 5D2 @ ISO 100
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3580/3354476330_f721f167b0_o.jpg

Will's 5D2 @ ISO 100 (aRGB)
http://willp-photo.com/5DII/ISO100_afterDPP_aRGB.jpg

MartijnM's 5D2 @ ISO 100 (sRGB)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3466/3371842925_af83acdd90_o.jpg

FashionBoy's 5D2 @ ISO 100
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6827/iso100.jpg

Digital Bean's 1Ds3 @ ISO 100
http://akimagery.zenfolio.com/img/v7/p237348112.jpg

Daan B's 1Ds3 @ ISO 100 (aRGB color space)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3549/3371556147_cc3624eccd_o.jpg



Mar 29, 2009 at 03:33 AM
brainiac
Offline
[X]
p.16 #20 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


It's interesting that Digital Bean's 1Ds3 has almost no vertical banding whereas Daan's does have a little.

Thanks to everyone for setting my mind at ease about whether there was something wrong with my 5D2. Sadly it seems it's just like all the rest.

Edited on Mar 29, 2009 at 05:14 AM · View previous versions



Mar 29, 2009 at 05:13 AM
1       2       3       …       15              17       …       20       21       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       15              17       …       20       21       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account