fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       14              16       …       20       21       end
  

Archive 2009 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?

  
 
Tom_W
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #1 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Here's something to try - I don't have the right version of Photoshop to open RAW 5D2 files yet, so I had to ad-lib a bit. I shot with the cap on at ISO 100, 125, 160, and 200. Increased exposure of all by +2 in DPP - no visible pattern or noise (still pitch black). I then converted the 100, 125, and 160 to JPG and opened in PSE-5. Raised Shadows by "20" on the slider and found that the ISO 100 had considerably more pattern noise than the 125 or 160.

I have to run off to work now, but I'll look into this a bit more tomorrow afternoon.



Mar 17, 2009 at 03:33 PM
brainiac
Offline
[X]
p.15 #2 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


My 5D2 interval isos:
50 iso:
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/iso50black.jpg
100-800 iso in 1/3 stop increments:
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/iso100black.jpg
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/iso125black.jpg
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/iso160black.jpg
200:
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/iso200black.jpg
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/iso250black.jpg
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/iso320black.jpg
400:
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/iso400black.jpg
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/iso500black.jpg
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/iso640black.jpg
800:
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/iso800black.jpg

The lesson is, use 50, 160, 320, 640, 1250 and so on.




Mar 18, 2009 at 05:18 PM
brainiac
Offline
[X]
p.15 #3 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


And btw, here's 100 v 640:
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/iso100black.jpg
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/iso640black.jpg




Mar 18, 2009 at 05:21 PM
brainiac
Offline
[X]
p.15 #4 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


...and 160 v 640:
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/iso160black.jpg
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/iso640black.jpg




Mar 18, 2009 at 05:23 PM
alundeb
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #5 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Not exactly straight...

125 looks like 100 pushed,
160 looks like 200 pulled, and so on



Mar 18, 2009 at 05:29 PM
Tom_W
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #6 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


brainiac wrote:
My 5D2 interval isos:
......
......
The lesson is, use 50, 160, 320, 640, 1250 and so on.



Interesting - that's a significant difference, at least in situations where you really need to pull up shadows.

I intend to experiment more as time permits, but I think I'll gravitate towards these stops (except possibly ISO 50 which I rarely need).



Mar 18, 2009 at 05:34 PM
chris78cpr
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #7 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


My experience is that the mid ISO's such as 125/160 etc just have more noise than the full stops.

I now choose not to use them.

Chris



Mar 18, 2009 at 07:00 PM
brainiac
Offline
[X]
p.15 #8 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Well on my 5D2 using the full stops would be a mistake, probably. This corroborates what is said elsewhere in web tests. Even DXOmark's graph of s/n ratio suggests these settings.


Mar 18, 2009 at 07:42 PM
Jonathan Wong
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #9 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Maybe a range of real image test shots is in order.


Mar 18, 2009 at 08:04 PM
michael49
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #10 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


brainiac wrote:
The lesson is, use 50, 160, 320, 640, 1250 and so on.



I just don't get why ISO 100 is so much worse than ISO 50 - and why the interval ISO's are so much better - very strange.



Mar 18, 2009 at 08:07 PM
alundeb
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #11 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


michael49 wrote:
I just don't get why ISO 100 is so much worse than ISO 50 - and why the interval ISO's are so much better - very strange.


ISO 50 is an overexposed ISO 100 that is pulled back 1 stop digitally. You get less noise, but at the cost of less dynamic headroom. Remember the absolute noise is not affected by exposure.

The same may be the case with 160, 320, 640...
They are the best settings for SNR, but not necessarily for DR.

It could possibly be exactly opposite, that ISO 100 and 125 are in fact pushed ISO 80 (and ISO 50 pulled 80), this has to be verified.

-------------------------------------
Edited, added some more.



Mar 19, 2009 at 02:01 AM
Daan B
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #12 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Interesting to see if the ISO performance of Brainiac's 5D2 is exemplary for all 5D2's out there... And if not (meaning other 5D2's show different performance - let's say ISO100 cleaner than ISO160), what could be the explanation?


Mar 19, 2009 at 02:30 AM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #13 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


alundeb wrote:
ISO 50 is an overexposed ISO 100 that is pulled back 1 stop digitally. You get less noise, but at the cost of less dynamic headroom. Remember the absolute noise is not affected by exposure.

The same may be the case with 160, 320, 640...
They are the best settings for SNR, but not necessarily for DR.

It could possibly be exactly opposite, that ISO 100 and 125 are in fact pushed ISO 80 (and ISO 50 pulled 80), this has to be verified.

-------------------------------------
Edited, added some more.



50 is just overexposing 100 by 1 full stop and leaving it as is, very clipped in highlights (but a full stop of extra light) but you can do it the same in iso100 if you just set exposue properly and then add 1 stop more light


in read noise test ISO160 had the lowest, 320 was pretty good too

the 1/3 up stops from were just pushed 1/3 up and seem pointless

the 2/3 up ones get better read noise than the next lowest full stop, i heard they do some sort of odd range value thing so it is not quite like just over-exposing by 1/3 apparently but it is some sort of amped mode or something i need to look into it more but probably no free lunch snce they probably do some sort of highlight clip but maybe there is enough freedom to still cap much of it anyway

once you get to ISO1600 from then on it appears that every 1/3 stop up is just ISO1600 pushed up another 1/3 stops, while they are claimed to be real until ISO6400 the read noise and all doesn't seem to give you anything useful and you just seem to loose another 1/3 highlights so for RAW using above ISO1600 is probably pointless actually

if you can give the shadows lots of light the higher iso do them better, given same amount of exposure time. of course you can only do that if there were not enough highlight etc anyway

i believe the 1dsmkiii has a different amp system adn the intermediate iso work totally differently


possibly, it's late so who knows what i just typed



Mar 19, 2009 at 03:15 AM
Jonathan Wong
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #14 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


If you measure the dynamic range of the images you should have a better idea of which direction the histogram is going.


Mar 19, 2009 at 06:12 AM
Will Patterson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #15 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Holy crap, my 5d2's repair is already completed according to their website! They only got it yesterday. If they overnight it like usual and I get it tomorrow I'll be astonished!!

*edit* - It's on the truck this morning for delivery, damn that was quick!



Mar 19, 2009 at 04:49 PM
Will Patterson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #16 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Got the camera, i will post up new examples tonight.

Here is their typical cryptic notes on the paper I got back from them:


"We have examined the product according to your request, and, it was found that the adjustment of the C-MOS assembly was incorrect causing noise to occur from time to time. Electrical adjustments were carried out on the C-MOS assembly."


God, I wish I could just talk to these techs sometimes.



Mar 20, 2009 at 10:03 AM
brainiac
Offline
[X]
p.15 #17 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Will Patterson wrote:
God, I wish I could just talk to these techs sometimes.


Me too, but I fear that the Venn diagram of the English spoken by techs and photographers looks like this:

O         O



Mar 20, 2009 at 10:11 AM
Daan B
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #18 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Good to hear Will... Techy mumbo jumbo aside... I hope things have improved for the better

Keep us posted



Mar 20, 2009 at 10:20 AM
Will Patterson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #19 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


haha, well I have yet to take real world pictures, but it the noise appears to be no different or "better".

I did these in PS CS4 (ACR), I still don't get how you guys are prorcessing them in DPP. I cranked up the exposure and brightness as noted.

http://willp-photo.com/5DII/ISO100_before.jpg

http://willp-photo.com/5DII/ISO100_after.jpg



Oh well.. I guess it was worth a shot. I'll take some more high contrast pictures tonight.



Mar 20, 2009 at 02:57 PM
Daan B
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #20 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Will Patterson wrote:
haha, well I have yet to take real world pictures, but it the noise appears to be no different or "better".

I did these in PS CS4 (ACR), I still don't get how you guys are prorcessing them in DPP. I cranked up the exposure and brightness as noted.

Oh well.. I guess it was worth a shot. I'll take some more high contrast pictures tonight.


No difference at all

Makes me wonder what they did to your 5D2... Bummer



Mar 20, 2009 at 04:00 PM
1       2       3       …       14              16       …       20       21       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       14              16       …       20       21       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account