fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       3       …       20       21       end
  

Archive 2009 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?

  
 
brainiac
Offline
[X]
p.1 #1 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


I'm getting criss-cross patterns within the noise on my 5D2 at low isos, e.g. 100. My 1Ds3 did not do this. At 100 iso on that camera I could push the shadows by 1 or 2 stops comfortably.

It would be really useful if you would note your firmware version with any comments too.

Here are a couple of examples of the phenomenon:

http://gallery.me.com/ord4/100386/_MG_1337-2/web.jpg
http://gallery.me.com/ord4/100370/NockamixonStroll2-Edit-2/web.jpg
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/oly28f3.5/aostacoffee_crop.jpg
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/snowythames_topleft.jpg


Edited on Mar 11, 2009 at 06:19 AM · View previous versions



Mar 10, 2009 at 01:30 PM
Guest

Guest
p.1 #2 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


had these patterns on my 1dmk2, when i tweaked the shadows. not seen on the dsmk2 dont have 5d2

s



Mar 10, 2009 at 01:31 PM
DopamineHunter
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


isn't that noise


Mar 10, 2009 at 01:32 PM
Jonesy
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


I see them on mine also


Mar 10, 2009 at 01:34 PM
brainiac
Offline
[X]
p.1 #5 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Please vote


Mar 10, 2009 at 01:35 PM
brainiac
Offline
[X]
p.1 #6 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


I reckon parsons is the one who chose the 'berk' option because he's from the UK.


Mar 10, 2009 at 01:36 PM
brainiac
Offline
[X]
p.1 #7 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


I'm winning!


Mar 10, 2009 at 01:37 PM
Cliff L.
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


No evidence of any patterns, at any ISO, with either the original firmware or the current version. Just a bit of random noise at ISO 3200, getting a bit worse at 6400 and higher (and I chose the "berk" option as well...)


Mar 10, 2009 at 01:41 PM
Greg Feldman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


How many stops are you pushing those shadows? (I like the word berk also.)


Mar 10, 2009 at 01:43 PM
brainiac
Offline
[X]
p.1 #10 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Greg Feldman wrote:
How many stops are you pushing those shadows? (I like the word berk also.)


You wouldn't if you knew its etymology. That's all I'm going to say. Pushing iso 100 file a stop or two.



Mar 10, 2009 at 01:45 PM
kazman442
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


I have looked for this since your thread has came out and I can not really see any pattern, I will however do some more testing to see. Ron


Mar 10, 2009 at 01:49 PM
David Baldwin
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


You wouldn't if you knew its etymology



+97



Mar 10, 2009 at 01:55 PM
Yohan Pamudji
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Cockney is a crazy thing.


Mar 10, 2009 at 02:31 PM
walter23
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


If you're pushing your ISO 100 files enough to see that much noise you're probably pushing too much. I don't even see that with my 350D, but 1 stop is about my limit. If I've got a ridiculously underexposed image (like essentially black) and I push it to try to 'rescue', it starts to look pretty crappy, but c'mon... you've got to expose correctly in the first place. Can't blame the camera for that




Mar 10, 2009 at 02:38 PM
brainiac
Offline
[X]
p.1 #15 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


walter23 wrote:
If you're pushing your ISO 100 files enough to see that much noise you're probably pushing too much. I don't even see that with my 350D, but 1 stop is about my limit. If I've got a ridiculously underexposed image (like essentially black) and I push it to try to 'rescue', it starts to look pretty crappy, but c'mon... you've got to expose correctly in the first place. Can't blame the camera for that


Sometimes you have no choice but to underexpose large parts of the frame because the exposure range of the scene greatly exceeds the dynamic range of the camera. You need to decide on a balance between burnt out highlights and black shadows. This is actually very commonly a limit:
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/turnersreachb.jpg

My problem with the 5D2, and the reason that I am interested in this limit is that Canon stated that the 5D2 would be as good or better than the 1Ds3. I duly traded down to a pair of 5D2's and sold my 1Ds3 which I had used for a year. I subsequently found that I could not achieve the same dynamic range from the 5D2 because the shadows were a mess, with quite a large scale criss-cross pattern stopping me from eking out maximum dynamic range. I am now trying to find out whether this experience is general, with a view to making an assessment about how likely Canon is to fix this, and which way to go in the future.

Edited on Mar 12, 2009 at 10:20 AM · View previous versions



Mar 10, 2009 at 02:46 PM
jerrykur
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


brainiac wrote:
My problem with the 5D2, and the reason that I am interested in this limit is that Canon stated that the 5D2 would be as good or better than the 1Ds3. I duly traded down to a pair of 5D2's and sold my 1Ds3 which I had used for a year. I subsequently found that I could not achieve the same dynamic range from the 5D2 because the shadows were a mess, with quite a large scale criss-cross pattern stopping me from eking out maximum dynamic range. I am now trying to find out whether this experience is general, with
...Show more →

How about blending exposures in post? I prefer that over pushing shadow areas.





Mar 10, 2009 at 02:51 PM
walter23
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


brainiac wrote:
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/turnersreacha.jpg


Wow, I had no idea people shot like that (at least with digital). In a situation like that I'd typically do a bracketed exposure blend or use an ND grad. I guess if it works with a higher end camera, go for it, but... sure doesn't work with my 350D (nor apparently your 5DII).





Mar 10, 2009 at 03:07 PM
stanj
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


walter23 wrote:
Wow, I had no idea people shot like that (at least with digital). In a situation like that I'd typically do a bracketed exposure blend or use an ND grad. I guess if it works with a higher end camera, go for it, but... sure doesn't work with my 350D (nor apparently your 5DII).


Pretty hard to do with a moving subject (not that the sample picture was such one), or when you're shooting PJ style and can't set up a tripod and ND grad. As said so often, just because you have the time to setup a tripod and grad filter doesn't mean everyone has the same luxury. Plus, in the above picture, please show me how you'd position an ND grad.

I voted Yes pattern, LR/ACR.



Mar 10, 2009 at 03:13 PM
musclepics
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


You should be able to push 1 stop easily without any banding effects.
I can easily push a 14 bit RAW from my 1D MK III up to 2 stops at almost any ISO without too much trouble, using Adobe Camera Raw.

There was a comparison online between the 5D2 and D3x where the writer was using the PS Shadow/Highlight tool on images and noticed this exact phenomena on his 5D2 files.



Mar 10, 2009 at 03:21 PM
walter23
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


stanj wrote:
Pretty hard to do with a moving subject (not that the sample picture was such one), or when you're shooting PJ style and can't set up a tripod and ND grad. As said so often, just because you have the time to setup a tripod and grad filter doesn't mean everyone has the same luxury. Plus, in the above picture, please show me how you'd position an ND grad.

I voted Yes pattern, LR/ACR.


I agree with you completely, there are plenty of cases where it just won't work... but I couldn't resist trying on the linked image. It took about 2 seconds (I'm sure you could do better with more careful placement and control, this was just a quick illustration without any concern for the actual exposure ratios, etc, I just pooped out a quick 'n dirty curves w/ mask).






Mar 10, 2009 at 03:25 PM
       2       3       …       20       21       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       3       …       20       21       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account